Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I am more confused by the censorship of bastard all the way up to changing the name Bastard Sword. Nobody cares about Bastard!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
remember when oblivion got its rating changed from t to m, because someone found out there were texture files for nipples in it. not even like. detailed ones. and not ones you're ever going to be able to see in regular gameplay. just insanely low detail nipple textures.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
honestly stranger of paradise having an m rating is insanely funny when the whole aesthetic flair of the game is that it's not actually that bloody, jack just explodes monsters into red crystals. i can think of very little worth giving the game an m over other than that people swear sometimes and you bloodlessly cut off monster limbs sometimes

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Apr 8, 2023

Hector Delgado
Sep 23, 2007

Time for shore leave!!

This picture made me lol. Just picturing a chill Vegeta with a Gone Fishin' hat.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

ImpAtom posted:

I am more confused by the censorship of bastard all the way up to changing the name Bastard Sword. Nobody cares about Bastard!

Absolutely insane

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

The Colonel posted:

honestly stranger of paradise having an m rating is insanely funny when the whole aesthetic flair of the game is that it's not actually that bloody, jack just explodes monsters into red crystals. i can think of very little worth giving the game an m over other than that people swear sometimes and you bloodlessly cut off monster limbs sometimes

Do you think it was the intro with Garland cutting arms off and stabbing people that did it?

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

The Colonel posted:

remember when oblivion got its rating changed from t to m, because someone found out there were texture files for nipples in it. not even like. detailed ones. and not ones you're ever going to be able to see in regular gameplay. just insanely low detail nipple textures.

that game also had like decapitated bodies and stuff though

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the blood and gore was part of it but the thing that ended up prompting the esrb to get up in arms in the first place was that the game had nipple textures in it

quote:

The fact that the content of Oblivion under investigation was inaccessible during normal play made no difference in the decision. ESRB policy had been "absolutely clear" since the Hot Coffee controversy, Patricia Vance told a reporter. Publishers were told that they could not leave unfinished or other pertinent content on a disc.[2] If locked-out content was "pertinent to a rating", ESRB policy stated that it needed to be disclosed, and Bethesda had not done so.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Sakurai is on record saying he hates dealing with Cero because of circumstances like the japanese review board saying you can *possibly* look up beta Paulateena's skirt for her underwear

And part of why he can't put in OG Mai from KoF because he doesn't want to deal with that anymore

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the funniest thing in all of smash is when smash 4's leaked esrb video ended on a shot of a tharja trophy. and then that tharja trophy was, very conspicuously absent from the final game. the esrb loving nuked tharja from orbit

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

Popular theory atm is that the Neptunia game's esrb rating doesn't have the label for language (either as a mistake or a failure on the publisher's part). Since the game has physical copies out in the wild, the publisher is choosing to alter the game to fit their current rating rather than do a costly recall for a niche game.

The Colonel posted:

the funniest thing in all of smash is when smash 4's leaked esrb video ended on a shot of a tharja trophy. and then that tharja trophy was, very conspicuously absent from the final game. the esrb loving nuked tharja from orbit

IMO the funniest thing about smash's esrb rating is that a t rated game can't have advertising for an m rated game so that's why a bunch of mii costume trailers just had the characters' names instead of the game they're from like dmc or Skyrim.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
anyway the most hosed up thing about stranger of paradise to me now that i'm nearing the end is. this game is a legitimately good "big ff1 remake". mostly because it being so weird and over the top perfectly fits how weird and lacking in proper definition ff1 was so it gets to have a lot of fun with the setting and ideas of ff1. this is like. a really good blend of the grand fantasy adventure of ff1 with the more bizarre elements of some of the later games lol, it weirdly compliments ff14 very well in how they both play around with different chunks of the series' history in different ways

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

SoP is great and it drives me insane how much people still misrepresent it.

Hector Delgado
Sep 23, 2007

Time for shore leave!!
I got stuck on the 2nd phase of Tiamat and never went back. I really should.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i had to learn to parry properly but after like an hour i got their pattern down. none of the bosses since then have been as tough and even when they are kinda hard it at least helps that every time you beat phase 1 of a boss you get the full xp for that even on repeat attempts so you'll be able to grind up your jobs a bit

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

ImpAtom posted:

The Born-Out-Of-Wedlock Sword is my favorite weapon.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Ibram Gaunt posted:

SoP is great and it drives me insane how much people still misrepresent it.

It kinda sounds like what SoP is doesn't actually match the marketing, which is a major problem when the marketing created very popular memes

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

King of Solomon posted:

It kinda sounds like what SoP is doesn't actually match the marketing, which is a major problem when the marketing created very popular memes

The marketing is fine I think, its just people like to spout insane poo poo like "the game mocks people who care about final fantasy or like stories in games"

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
stranger absolutely does have the kinds of silly jokes and cool action people meme about. it's just that that stuff's there amidst an actual full-on ff story that's like, it's aware of how kind of silly a lot about itself is but it takes the characters themselves very seriously and is earnestly invested in their relationships with each other. it has a funny pirate captain man with an attack where he grabs you named Yo Ho Ho but also he expresses genuine sadness over all the misfortune and pain in the world and how it's destroyed him and all he holds dear and nobody stops to make fun of him for it or anything

a lot about stranger's tone and storytelling is a mix of it being a low budget team ninja action game spinoff and it being based on ff1, a game that never had that much of a story to speak of and a very loosely defined world. so stranger is just playing off all that as a big homage to the entire combined ff series with each dungeon being based off one from a numbered ff game, and placing the emotional weight in the relationship between the characters, since ff1 never had a set cast stranger purposely uses that for a lot of its twists and bits of definition for them

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Ibram Gaunt posted:

The marketing is fine I think, its just people like to spout insane poo poo like "the game mocks people who care about final fantasy or like stories in games"

To be fair, the marketing REALLY didn't suggest that the game's story would be any good as anything other than a target to dunk on.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i mean the main thing people judged it on was Jack Garland. and jack's a bit less of an exaggerated character than he seemed from the launch trailer but he's still treated as a really goofy and loveable guy who's deliberately trying to lean into his angry tough guy persona but is actually genuinely much more caring and a lot less bloodthirsty and angry than he lets on. he's a funny character just in an entirely different way from the first impression people got about him

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
like the whole bit in the sky fortress where ash is like "whoops... sorry if i pissed you off..." and jack is like "no, it's. it's fine. this is just how i am..." is funny. it's just a very different kind of funny from him being a full on ps2 kratos angerman. jack has the appearance of an angry ps2 game man but he's too genuinely awkward and easily embarrassed to be that despite him purposefully trying to lean into it

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Apr 9, 2023

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

King of Solomon posted:

To be fair, the marketing REALLY didn't suggest that the game's story would be any good as anything other than a target to dunk on.
not really, the story was pretty accurately represented in the marketing and is fine

its just that people have a gene in them that makes them salivate at the thought of mocking jp games

'im here to kill chaos' was goofy but, the game knows that jack is a little goofy about his chaos killing boner. its not 'a target to dunk on' its just an aspect of the game.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

like when the game came out multiple game journos tweeted out perfectly sensible and reasonable conversations from the game and went 'lol this game is incomprehensible'

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
the marketing was an astounding success

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Snooze Cruise posted:

the marketing was an astounding success

This

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the only way i can say the marketing might've failed is that i saw some people expecting it to be like an asura's wrath kind of thing tonally getting disappointed when it wasn't that and it's very much not trying to hit that sort of high, it's just an ff adventure plot with cool action and some funny jokes. it is very much a game made by people who love ff, for people who love ff and team ninja action games

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I mean the game might have sold poorly but I approve of it from an aesthetic standpoint

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I liked the clip I saw posted where he says something gruff to a party member and then is like "sorry. im not mad. this is just how i talk" awkwardly

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Jack is perfect

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
I feel like there's just not a lot of demand for a highly technical action game reimagining of Final Fantasy 1 even if it's good.

Like I'm glad it exists but the sales are not really surprising.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
honestly even aesthetically while the game's technically a bit rough it has some genuinely nice looking stuff in it. i think the castle level it opens on got everyone expecting something much greyer and blander and not a game that's giving you full on recreations of beloved ff dungeons, including some of the brighter and moodier stuff from ff9 and 10 while also going for the original nes ff1 interpretation of the sky fortress as a cool techno space base

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

mycot posted:

I feel like there's just not a lot of demand for a highly technical action game reimagining of Final Fantasy 1 even if it's good.

it's not that technical. it lets you make it be if you want to but at its base level it's a pretty simple and approachable game with a lot of optional mechanics to mess with. i think they fully recognized some people might not want to get into the weeds of its systems cause normal difficulty can get a bit tough but not like, ninja gaiden black tough, and it has a story difficulty that i've seen people cruise through and have a good time with cause just the basic act of hitting stuff in stranger feels good enough to carry it

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
you dont even need to bother with any sort of Grind or anything, i've been switching up jobs the whole game just trying to unlock more by moving down trees for each and i've never really encountered any roadblocks from that or from having underleveled gear because the main story is clearly balanced to give you everything you need and job levels dont totally gimp you hard enough to make moving forward at a steady pace get bogged down. stranger has a lot of considerations made for casual players and people who've never played nioh to have a general familiarity with modern team ninja action design, to still be able to get through while having an enjoyable experience

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I played the chaos demo and it was bad.

completely irredeemable

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I played the chaos demo and it was bad.

completely irredeemable

Don't sign your posts

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Stranger of Paradise is immensely goofy but Final Fantasy is immensely goofy

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
basically i stand to my dirge of cerberus comparison i had when it first was coming out, in that it's kinda like how everyone got various weird ideas about dirge that are almost universally not what the game is actually like and what it actually is is purposefully pretty silly and over the top and doesn't expect you to take its grungy surface aesthetic too seriously. except stranger is kinda a better game and playing more directly into being an ff series homage

i think it's actually fun to compare stranger and ffxiv's writing a bit because a big chunk of what they're both doing is reinterpreting stuff across ff's history into their own original story but they're doing it in drastically different ways according to their general scope and what parts of the series they want to focus on

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

The Colonel posted:

you dont even need to bother with any sort of Grind or anything, i've been switching up jobs the whole game just trying to unlock more by moving down trees for each and i've never really encountered any roadblocks from that or from having underleveled gear because the main story is clearly balanced to give you everything you need and job levels dont totally gimp you hard enough to make moving forward at a steady pace get bogged down. stranger has a lot of considerations made for casual players and people who've never played nioh to have a general familiarity with modern team ninja action design, to still be able to get through while having an enjoyable experience

Yeah, the game is wildly more approachable than Nioh, and I say that as someone who loves Nioh. There's party members to help tank for you and buy you time to breathe, reusable sources of healing, functional ranged classes that work out of the gate without needing builds and gear to even work, enemy attacks are very clearly tagged and colored to tell you if they're parryable/blockable/etc instead of needing to learn for specific tells, multiple difficulty levels out of the gate, etc.

There's absolutely all the technical tryhard poo poo there if you want to dig into it but the game is designed to be approachable for anyone who wants to have Jack Garland punch people with his friends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
like even in stranger's original setting and storyline ideas a lot of it is obviously inspired by other games across the series. ff loves playing with time travel and interdimensionality and techno-fantasy, all of the plot ff1 had in the first place was based in that stuff after all, and stranger is diving straight into all of those parts for what it wants to pull off