Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Redezga
Dec 14, 2006

I haven't played Stranger of Paradise yet, but everything I've seen and heard about it tells me it would appeal to me in every way that compels me to play every Sonic the Hedgehog game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Frontiers is epic

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I like Sonic and SoP but i'm not sure they're all too similar.

Also yes, Frontiers is epic.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

SoP is a shockingly sincere story with robust characterization and tragedy hidden behind a veneer of edginess and memes.

You can always tell the difference between people who know what's up and people who are only judging it on a shallow surface glance.

Shastahanshah
Sep 12, 2022

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Endorph posted:

not really, the story was pretty accurately represented in the marketing and is fine

its just that people have a gene in them that makes them salivate at the thought of mocking jp games

'im here to kill chaos' was goofy but, the game knows that jack is a little goofy about his chaos killing boner. its not 'a target to dunk on' its just an aspect of the game.

I think the thing that really did it was the director (I believe? Not 100% sure) apparently saying that he was surprised people immediately figured out Jack Garland is Garland.

Granted, like a lot of things Japanese developers have allegedly said, that might just be something some guy made up.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

IIRC, the actual interview quote is that they wanted to make it a twist but figured people would guess it immediately so they just put Garland into his name and were upfront about it.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

my favorite stranger of paradise moment was when multiple posters on this very site were trying to rally it against it as sexist because it starred a bald white dude and then when they revealed the multiple female party members they tried to pivot to actually their depiction is sexist... yeah...

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

Endorph posted:

like when the game came out multiple game journos tweeted out perfectly sensible and reasonable conversations from the game and went 'lol this game is incomprehensible'

to be fair they also can't understand kingdom hearts which is a simple plot but because it isn't as simple as a Disney movie it confuses them

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Frontiers is epic

this, also sop looks cool

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

it's also annoying as gently caress when people call everything in kingdom hearts cringe like the atlantica mini world on 2 or the obvious fake out goofy death

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Willo567 posted:

to be fair they also can't understand kingdom hearts which is a simple plot but because it isn't as simple as a Disney movie it confuses them

Don't gaslight me, I've seen the "what is kingdom heart's storyline" youtube summaries and it's all over the loving place

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i said this earlier in the thread but its really funny when people pretend kingdom hearts is self-serious and tryhard instead of perfectly willing to joke about itself

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Don't gaslight me, I've seen the "what is kingdom heart's storyline" youtube summaries and it's all over the loving place

theres no way youtubers could be padding out their videos with irrelevant, rambling explanations in order to get more ad revenue

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

GreenBuckanneer posted:

it's one of those things where if you wanna summarize the plot in the broadest of broad ways possible it's not that complicated (but admittedly that's most videogames) but when you talk about any details at all it gets real convoluted real quick. and heck, that's what a lot of the fans like!

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Endorph posted:

my favorite stranger of paradise moment was when multiple posters on this very site were trying to rally it against it as sexist because it starred a bald white dude and then when they revealed the multiple female party members they tried to pivot to actually their depiction is sexist... yeah...

i like how huge the contrast is between neon and sophia. neon seems like a tiny weirdo but in a lot of ways is relatively normal and sophia is like, the most normal looking older lady in an rpg party, but randomly says completely bizarre things. it's also fun how they both start out with jobs that lean them in a specific direction, but neon's direction is a bit more unexpected in specializing her as a knight or a swordfighter and her oddball third one is red mage, while sophia has two mage jobs but you can also just make her a goddamn dragoon

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

GreenBuckanneer posted:

there's drawn out overly complicated ways to summarize half of the stories on earth if you wanted to

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

GreenBuckanneer posted:

lol kh isn't confusing at all unless you assume it's as simple to understand as a disney movie. the only thing that confused me was the time travel stuff

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Srice posted:

it's one of those things where if you wanna summarize the plot in the broadest of broad ways possible it's not that complicated (but admittedly that's most videogames) but when you talk about any details at all it gets real convoluted real quick. and heck, that's what a lot of the fans like!

ah, ace combat

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
pretty sure sophia is one of the oldest female party members in the franchise

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
even sop's party looking so goofy and all-over-the place with neon wearing her weird bandage and sailor suit costume while everyone else is just wearing t-shirts and sneakers is pretty fitting cause it just feels like the kind of random band of jabronis you might imagine your faceless ff1 party as

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

in conclusion roxas axel and xion should all be in a polyamorus relationship with each other and get married together.

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

every game i like is a masterpiece and if you don't like it you're a dumb idiot

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the like, nobody/heartless alt. selves stuff gets a bit convoluted, but its kind of cool, too? im not gonna pretend its not jank but the whole central thesis of kingdom hearts is that what makes up your 'heart' isnt some inherent sense of good or bad its the experiences you have and the people you meet. thats why roxas and sora can be entirely different people who both have the right to life and happiness even tho they're theoretically the same guy, and its why the keyblade jumped ship from riku to sora at the start of kh1. sora had a good heart because he liked his friends and wanted to help them, as opposed to riku who'd always sort of looked down on sora or saw himself as better than him.

'im already half-xehanort' is an insanely funny line even with the game itself pointing out that its a funny line immediately after its said but its kind of cool that the main antagonist of the series (at least up through KH3) counteracts this point by being so inherently distrustful of other people that he cant even use them as minions and has to make an army of clones and alternate versions of himself and himself possessing other people, or whatever. xehanort isnt the bad guy just because he has an Evil Heart or whatever but because he fundamentally refuses to let his relationships with other people affect him or let other people in at all.

its why the whole nobody thing works the way it does, the nobodies didnt inherently lack hearts/emotions, they shut themselves off from those things, which is why they were 'nobody' - they didn't have any human connections. axel, roxas, and xion became 'somebodies' because they formed that connection with each other.

like yeah it boils down to 'friendship...' but its a neat metaphysical exploration of how those experiences affect somebody even if it gets lost in the weeds at point.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Willo567 posted:

lol kh isn't confusing at all unless you assume it's as simple to understand as a disney movie. the only thing that confused me was the time travel stuff

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
I've never played KH and only know the vaguest bits about it by cultural osmosis, but I will always laugh at "so and so not norted!"

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the mobile game ending with the reveal that you, the player, were xehanort, is maybe one of the funniest things to ever happen

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

There's a lot of convoluted stuff in KH but most of it simply does not matter.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
either i am bad at fuga or the game is very adept at pushing you right up against the edge where you can see the Child-Murder Gun ready and waiting

it's neat because if you can stick it out for a little past the cannon's activation, the kids will probably activate their super modes and swing the tide of battle anyway. it's like darkest dungeon but not as cruel

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

GreenBuckanneer posted:

The KH games have literal children's cartoon characters sit down and explain the plot as you play it.

As always, everything about KH is very easy to understand if you just actually play the games instead of trying to suss out a Dozen game long narrative from synopsis and lovely youtube compilations.

Almost like you're meant to experience a story to understand it.

Like even the Roxas/Xion/Sora poo poo has...an entire game leading up to 2 that's about the events that create them, multiple hours of gameplay and cutscenes setting up, teasing then outright explaining their deal wrt Sora and friends and then the very next game in the franchise stars them and is about their time leading up to where we first meet them in 2 and you get dozens of hours of just character bits from them and about them. It's all pretty easy to follow if you just..play the games.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Apr 9, 2023

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kingdom Hearts is honestly not very convoluted if you just accept that everything works on fairy tale rules. Things happen because they feel right, not because of Cold Logic.

I admittedly don't understand some stuff but that is because it's buried in mobile gatcha games I'd rather pull my nails out than play.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
my favorite kh game: dmc5 :twisted:

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Endorph posted:

the mobile game ending with the reveal that you, the player, were xehanort, is maybe one of the funniest things to ever happen

wait really? lmao that loving rules

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

kingdom hearts 3 was so awful

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Endorph posted:

Wait as in the Player Character or literally the real life player like YIIK

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

Oxxidation posted:

either i am bad at fuga or the game is very at pushing you right up against the edge where you can see the Child-Murder Gun ready and waiting

it's neat because if you can stick it out for a little past the cannon's activation, the kids will probably activate their super modes and swing the tide of battle anyway. it's like darkest dungeon but not as cruel
The game is challenging in a good way. Characters that can gently caress up defensive barriers are invaluable throughout, and status effects fukken rule.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

kirbysuperstar posted:

No it doesn't. The direct text says "You can move on to the next world or stay around and hitch a ride with another living heart to observe what the world you left behind becomes" and you get stuck watching Nort.

We're not nort we're just stuck haunting him like Ventus's heart was in Sora.

Zokari posted:

KH3 legitimately some of the all time peaks in the franchise and has a much better ratio of "Actually fun and cool to play and see" to "Absolute dogshit" than KH2 did. I replayed it leading up to 3's release and a lot of the end game bosses/superbosses really overshadow people's memories cause holy poo poo almost every level in 2 is some of the most boring bullshit and almost every story boss until the last few Org 13 members drag on and are so goddamn boring.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Apr 9, 2023

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Zokari posted:

wrong. it's not as good as kh2 and the frozen world sucks but it's still fun.

Willo567 fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Apr 9, 2023

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Lessail posted:

my favorite kh game: dmc5 :twisted:

DMC5 is indeed very sick.

Anyway, I think some people go into KH "wanting to figure out and understand the complicated KH plot" so they get tripped on stuff that doesn't matter and then overthink things that are actually dead simple.

kirbysuperstar posted:

Unfortunately they walked it back and its bullshit. Instead you're just Xehanort's dad. Or mum I guess.

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

Willo567 posted:

wrong. it's not as good as kh2 and the frozen world sucks but it's still fun

hmm, no i still think it's awful actually

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Unfortunately they walked it back and its bullshit. Instead you're just Xehanort's dad. Or mum I guess.

booo