Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I may have ruined Fuga by discovering how broken Hack was

(his *gets more powerful when used consecutively* attack persists between battles which is probably not great but is very funny)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

The KH games have literal children's cartoon characters sit down and explain the plot as you play it.

Okay, lemme rephrase what I meant: There's at least 13 of them. I'm not going to play all of them. So, you instead watch a summary and play the most recent one instead, or semi recent one and work up from there. So, when you watch the summary, you go "wow everyone is xenohort, this storyline is pretty dumb" and get turned away from playing it if it's going to be that bad.

For something that isn't episodic, like, final fantasy, it doesn't matter because you just pick up any of them and don't have to deal with that. Yes, there are a few exceptions with say, FF13, but where there's just 2-3 of them that are directly related, then you can still just pick up the first game in the sequence and you're fine. Having to play 12 other games to get a proper handle on the backstory is dumb. Start a new story.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Okay, lemme rephrase what I meant: There's at least 13 of them. I'm not going to play all of them. So, you instead watch a summary and play the most recent one instead, or semi recent one and work up from there. So, when you watch the summary, you go "wow everyone is xenohort, this storyline is pretty dumb" and get turned away from playing it if it's going to be that bad.

For something that isn't episodic, like, final fantasy, it doesn't matter because you just pick up any of them and don't have to deal with that. Yes, there are a few exceptions with say, FF13, but where there's just 2-3 of them that are directly related, then you can still just pick up the first game in the sequence and you're fine.

I'm sorry, your Cleretic-itis is terminal.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
also side note, but lol at the gravity falls guy talking about how dumb it is and how he much he hates it and thinks it's cynical because it combined disney with anime when kh will be remembered more than his overrated cartoon
https://mobile.twitter.com/_AlexHirsch/status/837087878249398272

Willo567 fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Apr 9, 2023

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

The actual thing with KH is that there a lot of side games that all treat themselves as very important but don't actually matter in the grand scheme of things.

Does KH Coded the phone game with a ds remake hold a secret piece of the puzzle to figuring out the ongoing KH plot? No actually, it really doesn't.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
if only the games had an intro video with kickass music that tells a highly summarized version of events

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Willo567 posted:

also side note, but lol at the gravity falls guy talking about how dumb it is and how he much he hates it and thinks it's cynical because it combined disney with anime when kh will be remembered more than his cartoon

why are you sharing a six-year old tweet to defend a mid jrpg

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

if tons of people don't understand your incredibly simple plot it sounds to me like maybe you told it poorly :)

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

IDK about kingdom hearts but one of the things Disney also tends to do is push certain IP in a weird way that bugs me. Like, for the sake of it? They did this in Once Upon a Time and it was all very manufactured. "oh cool, each season they're incorporating a different disney IP with a dumb as hell reason for progressing the plot forward inorganically." and I dropped that some time after they were doing Brave or whatever

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

Willo567 posted:

also side note, but lol at the gravity falls guy talking about how dumb it is and how he much he hates it and thinks it's cynical because it combined disney with anime when kh will be remembered more than his cartoon

man it's not even a funny observation or take on it, either.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Zokari posted:

if tons of people don't understand your incredibly simple plot it sounds to me like maybe you told it poorly :)

i haven't played kh but tbf, uh, people majorly suck at basic rear end media literacy a lot of the time

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Zokari posted:

Eh. People love to overexaggerated how complex something is if they want to disparage it. It ain't exclusive to KH.

I mean this is the RPG thread. We know this.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
lightning mcqueen wearing jncos would be sick

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Don't gaslight me, I've seen the "what is kingdom heart's storyline" youtube summaries and it's all over the loving place

There's a ton of lore and backstory that is all confusing bullshit if you really try and plot it out. The secret of KH is that you don't have to. You just play the game and you cheer when the power of friendship does something and you boo when some dweeb in a black robe (or maybe a white robe if playing 2) is on the screen. Knowing the entire tree of who is who's heartless and who is their nobody has 0 relevance in the game at any point because they either show up and help you or they get in your way so you bonk them.

Edit: For the record, I didn't play any of the spinoffs. I played 1 (sucks), 2 (good), and 3 (also good) and did not ever feel particularly lost about what was going on in any of them.

Failboattootoot fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Apr 9, 2023

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

GreenBuckanneer posted:

That is not a counter to the argument that narratives are meant to be experienced as the stories they are and not as lovely plot synopsis you find on youtubers name "TheRedditGoldGamer". My point is that of course understanding stories, especially longer ones, requires you to actually engage with the story and going "Oh but it's so confusing because I'm getting incomplete information second and third hand about it!!!" is just you being stupid and not a fault of the concept of narrative story telling.

So Yeah I'm sorry you have stupid brain and it's not treatable

Zokari posted:

Buddy this thread has a long history of posters not being able to parse direct text in a narrative. I think this is entirely a skill issue on your part.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
also having not played it im going to guarantee that the jrpg series beloved by teenage gamers is probably not something you need an astronaut diploma from NASA to understand

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
lets have an argument over which pixar movie would make for the best rpg

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Oxxidation posted:

why are you sharing a six-year old tweet to defend a mid jrpg

Because it's a stupid take and goes with what endorph said about people thinking the games take themselves extremely seriously? The dude even compared it to Space Jam on a podcast and said that it was an abomination that proved God doesn't exist

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
kh3 was bad at release because the combat was bogged down with busted uninterruptible super-moves you could execute three times a battle and were constantly dangled in front of your face (this got a toggle option at least), the movement suffered under the fps limit, and its place as a conclusion to a major phase of the series meant that it could talk about almost nothing besides its own mythos. all the non-disney story sequences were dry exposition about things that happened and things yet to come, and the disney stuff was also some of the worst in the series thanks to the Mouse's stranglehold on IP use. hanging over all of this is the fact that kingdom hearts, for years and years, with the sole exception of its first entry, has had some of the worst voice and cutscene direction of any of square-enix's major properties. it doesn't matter how simple or complicated its story is when almost none of it is fun to watch or listen to

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

Willo567 posted:

Because it's a stupid take and goes with what endorph said about people thinking the games take themselves extremely seriously? The dude even compared it to Space Jam on a podcast and said that it was an abomination that proved God doesn't exist

you're been nursing this grudge for a while huh

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i will never get over how eager some people are to state that they don't understand and can't follow the storyline of media understood by most children and teenagers

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

GreenBuckanneer posted:

For something that isn't episodic, like, final fantasy, it doesn't matter because you just pick up any of them and don't have to deal with that. Yes, there are a few exceptions with say, FF13, but where there's just 2-3 of them that are directly related, then you can still just pick up the first game in the sequence and you're fine. Having to play 12 other games to get a proper handle on the backstory is dumb. Start a new story.

KH4 is the start of a new arc, congrats.

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

the cutscenes in 3 were genuinely one of the major reasons i stopped playing it

they're so loving awkward and weird, god the long uncomfortable pauses between every line

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Snooze Cruise posted:

elemental copy pasted onto golden sun

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Zokari posted:

you're been nursing this grudge for a while huh

Lol I just pointed out what I thought was a dumb take, it's not a grudge at all. Hirsch is the one who has the weird hate boner for kh because it's anime and because mickey mouse wears a black hood. Sorry I don't agree with his take

https://www.tumblr.com/dragoncatkhfan/153155124091/alex-be-like

Willo567 fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Apr 9, 2023

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Snooze Cruise posted:

Bugs Life.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Weird that someone summarizing a story without all of the emotional beats or details would give an incomplete picture and reduce a story to its plot, which can make many stories appear more silly or weird on a surface level.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Zokari posted:

the people who actually played kh games understand the plot fine

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
furthermore were these game designers on freaking drugs, when they wrote the Mario games

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
my pick is coco. coco rules. also good setting for a rpg

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I played the chaos demo and it was bad.

completely irredeemable

This is the most telling on yourself post ever

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Endorph posted:

the people who actually played kh games understand the plot fine

I will say that I was utterly flabbergasted when Sora died in KH3 and met a magic plushie in the afterlife but TBH before I found out it was from a mobile game I just assumed the god of the KH world was some kind of marketable mascot character like a Moogle and that made total sense to me.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

I mean it's basically a Seven Samurai-esque movie already

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

Oxxidation posted:

kh3 was bad at release because the combat was bogged down with busted uninterruptible super-moves you could execute three times a battle and were constantly dangled in front of your face (this got a toggle option at least), the movement suffered under the fps limit, and its place as a conclusion to a major phase of the series meant that it could talk about almost nothing besides its own mythos. all the non-disney story sequences were dry exposition about things that happened and things yet to come, and the disney stuff was also some of the worst in the series thanks to the Mouse's stranglehold on IP use. hanging over all of this is the fact that kingdom hearts, for years and years, with the sole exception of its first entry, has had some of the worst voice and cutscene direction of any of square-enix's major properties. it doesn't matter how simple or complicated its story is when almost none of it is fun to watch or listen to

check this out nerd

https://twitter.com/Monochrome_Mog/status/1572591379494146049

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
you know what jkrpg has an intricate story with a ton of characters and various factions and complicated motives? trou—

Snooze Cruise fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Apr 9, 2023

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i mean even without the context of the mobile game the game lays it out pretty clearly. the afterlife being represented by a marketable plushie is in line with disney to begin with

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I didn't really care for KH3 tbh but I also was a casual KH fan so maybe that's why. Didn't regret buying and playing it but outside a couple moments it just didn't do much for me.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Snooze Cruise posted:

you know what jrpg has an intricate story with a ton of characters and various factions and complicated motives? trou—

the little tail bronx series

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Oh yeah KH3 was not good, story-wise or pacing, but it wasn't particularly confusing.