Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

mastershakeman posted:

Toyota completely solved all this poo poo over a decade ago but it wasn't sexy or ultra fast so no politicians care

miss my echo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

apatheticman posted:

Whatever happened to graphene capacitors being an alternative to batteries?

there are lots of different candidate technologies for new kinds of batteries but none of them are developed enough to be as good as lithium ion batteries

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

anime was right posted:

theres no issue with trucks to move goods to storefronts from trains and stuff. or for dealing with large quantities of goods on farms. personal cars dont need to exist. very small, personal motorized vehicles for people with mobility issues can exist on sidewalks.

I would really like if those trucks went gas rather than diesel, although local delivery seems EV friendly too.

Diesel exhaust loving sucks and even modern complex emissions systems aren't great.

It can be done, if a school bus can be gas then a box truck can be gas.

https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20180410006595/en/Blue-Bird-Sells-Its-2500th-Gasoline-Powered-School-Bus

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

Smythe posted:

in china they call them mini-evs. in the usa we call them low speed vehicles, lsv.

the golf cart, my friends... the golf cart awaits. for those who cant take the bus or ride a bike, for those who live just a little too far, for those where the rails have not yet been laid, the golf car shall be their chariot.

these are essentially street legal in rust belt cities, if I had the capital id start importing them (they come in boxes) and sell them for cash

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

Shear Modulus posted:

there are lots of different candidate technologies for new kinds of batteries but none of them are developed enough to be as good as lithium ion batteries

Shame that, we should get on it.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Shipon posted:

I'm not talking food or whatever degenerate poo poo you people with Doordash or Uber Eats use, I'm talking actually buying real poo poo like furniture or moving goods for manufacturing purposes from business to business

Cargo bikes are a thing tho

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.
someone in my neighborhood drives a golf cart around, I think because they can’t get a DUI for being drunk while they do it. I’m not a law knower though

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Captain Magic posted:

someone in my neighborhood drives a golf cart around, I think because they can’t get a DUI for being drunk while they do it. I’m not a law knower though

they are

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Dr. Jerrold Coe posted:

youtubers buy these for like $2,000 from china and drive them around their parents' farms/make actual work vehicles out of them

EVs make absolutely fantastic work vehicles and rickshaws, its our insane addiction to range that makes EVs so loving stupid

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure

Captain Magic posted:

you can get a dui riding a bike. golf cart not helping

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

anime was right posted:

theres no issue with trucks to move goods to storefronts from trains and stuff. or for dealing with large quantities of goods on farms. personal cars dont need to exist. very small, personal motorized vehicles for people with mobility issues can exist on sidewalks.

yeah those should be electric though (something the people who have hateboners for EVs seem to forget), i have no problem with pushing people towards transit (i hate driving to work too) but there's only so much you can do when a hundred million people live in places like this

and any place that looks like this

costs 3-4x in rent, forget about ever buying anything either (that costs 10x)

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

mastershakeman posted:

I ranted in a dozen threads a few months ago when I rented a Tesla (same cost as a mid size sedan) and it was an awful experience. Couldn't get 150 miles from Chicago on extremely flat roads, managed to find the one single supercharger on the way, otherwise we were going to have to turn off heat entirely and drive 55 to make it. It was a balmly 40 degrees out .

We had a similar situation near the end of last year. We knew we wouldn't make it, but it was the only car they had and we let the counter person lie to us about range so we could call Hertz two-thirds of the way there and complain enough to get them to let us drop the car off at a different location and upgrade for free.

Miserable car, miserable driving experience.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

The scam car being the worst example should not surprise you

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
If you live in a big city you have no reason to travel.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Didn't Tesla specifically get caught selling their returns and factory rejects to rental companies as new stock?

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

they're right about not needing a licence or insurance tho

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Smythe posted:

i think we have to understand that some level of private, closed motorized transport is required. my parents for example live at the top of a steep rear end hill and are 80 years old, etc, blah blah. the thing is, evs obviously dont work for the litany of problems already posted. charger availability, whole lifecycle costs, etc. but - evs can work. the twist is they arent as conceived today. the car as we know it is derived from the car as "co-evolved" along with america, which in 1900 was largely rural and so the car grew from this. we can shed this lineage to better serve urban mobility needs. beyond the train, beyond the bus, beyond the bicycle and the other microbility is mediummobility, tracing its lineage back the to 3 and 4 wheel "motorized rickshaw" and it looks like this:

in china they call them mini-evs. in the usa we call them low speed vehicles, lsv.

the golf cart, my friends... the golf cart awaits. for those who cant take the bus or ride a bike, for those who live just a little too far, for those where the rails have not yet been laid, the golf car shall be their chariot.

gonna be a whole lot of e-bikes in the future

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Mr Hootington posted:

My kid has an entirely separate set of Legos at my mom's and my dad's

Ebikes seem cool but Jesus Christ they're expensive

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Shipon posted:

yeah those should be electric though (something the people who have hateboners for EVs seem to forget), i have no problem with pushing people towards transit (i hate driving to work too) but there's only so much you can do when a hundred million people live in places like this

procedurally generated-rear end looking city

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

mastershakeman posted:

My kid has an entirely separate set of Legos at my mom's and my dad's

Ebikes seem cool but Jesus Christ they're expensive

,,, compared to a car???

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Vox Nihili posted:

inland empire is indeed a shithole but something's gotta be done about it

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GOdwHXbsLMI

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Vox Nihili posted:

It literally was procedurally generated, the procedure is neoliberalism

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Mr Hootington posted:

now now

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Me playing simcity:

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

gradenko_2000 posted:

Me playing simcity:

looks like 1 trillion uyghurs to me

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

https://twitter.com/tomgara/status/1644754084728131593?s=20

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

lol, lmao

also i have to save 60% of my income? AHAHAHAHHAHHAAAAAA

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure

RadiRoot posted:

lol, lmao

also i have to save 60% of my income? AHAHAHAHHAHHAAAAAA

my wife maxes out her 401k every year and makes 60k! it’s not that hard! it’s not like I make 150k and cover all the expenses

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Shear Modulus posted:

there are a half dozen near equivalents now, all being called Li-ion even if they aren’t.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

NeatHeteroDude posted:

i would like to make 100,000 a year.

It's great. Don't let any crybaby collaborator tell you how pitiful their lives are living on "only" 100k. 100k can be managed. You can invest. You can buy good food without crunching numbers. You probably get benefits, so you can probably afford therapy and dental. It's a good income. And I keep seeing yuppies with 250k household income whine...

Joey Steel
Jul 24, 2019

apatheticman posted:

Whatever happened to graphene capacitors being an alternative to batteries?

Wut? Who told you that? They'll probably not clear lead acid batteries for energy density.

Unlike lead acid batteries, they won't degrade from usage, just environment.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
Americans love long drives for vacations even if they spend more on that drive than a loving plane ticket or train ticket so they can say " we saw the way there".

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

atelier morgan posted:

EVs make absolutely fantastic work vehicles and rickshaws, its our insane addiction to range that makes EVs so loving stupid

I mean, when it's not uncommon for a person to have family 300+ miles away with no public infrastructure like rail to support that type of travel quickly or cheaply, then needing long range cars makes sense.

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

anonumos posted:

It's great. Don't let any crybaby collaborator tell you how pitiful their lives are living on "only" 100k. 100k can be managed. You can invest. You can buy good food without crunching numbers. You probably get benefits, so you can probably afford therapy and dental. It's a good income. And I keep seeing yuppies with 250k household income whine...

I feel like a spoiled brat at $55

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Celexi posted:

Americans love long drives for vacations even if they spend more on that drive than a loving plane ticket or train ticket so they can say " we saw the way there".

often it is cheaper to drive once you have a family of at least 4. driving cost doesn’t appreciably change with each additional person that fits in the car.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

if you like cars so much why don't you marry one?

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Skyl3lazer posted:

I mean, when it's not uncommon for a person to have family 300+ miles away with no public infrastructure like rail to support that type of travel quickly or cheaply, then needing long range cars makes sense.

I can't even get from Chicago to Columbus via rail to see their king tut exhibition. Its insane.

It's a sub 6 hour drive (ok, more with traffic) but airports suck so bad it's like 3 hours to deal with all the airplane poo poo + the cost shooting up with every extra family member that needs a ticket

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

bedpan posted:

if you like cars so much why don't you marry one?

I would prefer to never drive again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Shipon posted:

and any place that looks like this

costs 3-4x in rent, forget about ever buying anything either (that costs 10x)

Are either of these pittsburgh