Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Runa posted:

I don't care about KH. But I do mean that, the thing about not caring about KH is that I'm genuinely neutral on it and while it doesn't appeal to me personally I'm not going to try to talk poo poo about it for no particular reason. I don't care for or against. And that means I don't care enough to try to poo poo on it either.

People often have a bad habit of seeing something that other people like, realize it doesn't really appeal to them, and then decide this is reason enough to be an rear end in a top hat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
Gravity Falls would probably make a good video game. It might already have one idk

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

Tae posted:

I think most Xion hate is because of frustration that kairi got shoved into a fridge for the xth time, to the point that she even somehow got more importance in Smash Brothers

Usually the reason why I hear that people hate her is that she's a fanfic OC who is erased from everyone's memories at the end. And also the only thing Xion has over Kairi in Smash Bros is that she'd advanced instead of beginner

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

I haven't touched kingdom hearts since 2 came out on the PS2, but I picked them all up on PC in a sale awhile back and all this chat about them is making me wanna play them finally

Since all the in-between games are in the bundles, do I just play them all in order? Someone mentioned that a few of the games don't really have anything about the main plot, which are those? Or are they not included in the PC releases?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Re: Coded is the only one that doesn't have anything really important in it (except for 30 seconds at the end). It's one of the two games that are just the cutscenes in movie format in the modern ports, the other being 358/2 Days, which is a lot more important.

I assume the issues with porting DS games that used the touch screen is why those two particular games.

Other than that yes just play them in release order.

A Sinister Rap
Oct 19, 2012
I played KH2 on Critical for the first time last year and as someone that kinda fell out of love with the series, it whipped rear end, but it also made me wish we got the original version of Versus 13. I guess I should be excited for Verum Rex then???

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Zokari posted:

um excuse me but you need to also play a bunch of weird handheld games with stupid names but not all of them really matter and you need to magically know which ones
'you have to play all the games in the series to understand the story' is not in fact a dark secret nobody can comprehend without extensive knowledge

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the hd collections include all the handheld games

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i love that stranger has a serious plot beat about jack realizing he has no actual reason to want to kill chaos and is panicking at the loss of his entire purpose in existing and all of his exasperated agreement to do random chores and monster exterminations is turning to him confusedly asking everyone what they're even doing anymore while they have to pull him through and help him get to grips

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Snooze Cruise posted:

lets have an argument over which pixar movie would make for the best rpg

it's monsters inc

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Snooze Cruise posted:

The Incredibles

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I like Axel, but I think it's sad that he and Raiden are the two big Quinton Flynn meme roles, when I think the heir to the throne of the roaming Rhullo, leader of the space pirate band known across the universe as the Guyzoch, Prince Vorkken, from The Wonderful 101 deserves just as much credit/meme material as the other two.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Junpei posted:

I like Axel, but I think it's sad that he and Raiden are the two big Quinton Flynn meme roles, when I think the heir to the throne of the roaming Rhullo, leader of the space pirate band known across the universe as the Guyzoch, Prince Vorkken, from The Wonderful 101 deserves just as much credit/meme material as the other two.

Quinton Flynn is a weird sex pest so he doesn't deserve any credit at all.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Endorph posted:

the hd collections include all the handheld games

Only the cutscenes for 358/2 Days sadly.

I mean I get not wanting to put effort into a handheld game that's a port of a phone game, but an overhauled Days with online would be sick.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

days has some of the coolest writing in the series too and focusing on the major cutscenes kinda robs it of some of its weight. the fact that you actually experience a whole year of roxas's life is neat.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I think the best part is the dairy entries. The moment they change from just "Entry #" to actual titles, etc.

Redezga
Dec 14, 2006

Snooze Cruise posted:

Big Hero 6 wins by virtue of being the only one set almost in Japan.

Edit: nm, not Pixar. Just Disney pretending to be Pixar.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

Endorph posted:

days has some of the coolest writing in the series too and focusing on the major cutscenes kinda robs it of some of its weight. the fact that you actually experience a whole year of roxas's life is neat.

this, it's a shame the game gets maligned as much as it does

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I care way more about Roxas than Sora, tbh.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
Sora is a very dull protagonist.

Redezga
Dec 14, 2006

It's just natural to feel that way about a character whose name is pronounced "Rocks rear end".

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Zokari posted:

um excuse me but you need to also play a bunch of weird handheld games with stupid names but not all of them really matter and you need to magically know which ones

The only way to get the games on PC and modern consoles include literally everyone of those games and has them listed in release order.

Which is also the narrative order!

Weird how just playing the game can teach you these things.

Endorph posted:

It's the one game they made into a cutscene movie that suffers the most in the collections, yeah. A lot of the better beats in it are the small moments that build up the idiot trios friendships.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Ibram Gaunt posted:

This is the most telling on yourself post ever
I didn't like the combat.
I didn't like the story.
"I'm going to KILL Chaos" is so goddamn cringe. A better example of goofy writing/presentation is Two Worlds 1. That game owned. It wasn't cringy, but you could laugh at it because it did things so poorly while trying to be a straight shooter that it was fun in spite of itself.

Kind of the two whole reasons to play an rpg and those are both out.

Motto posted:

KH4 is the start of a new arc, congrats.

Sweet!

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

That is not a counter to the argument that narratives are meant to be experienced as the stories they are and not as lovely plot synopsis you find on youtubers name "TheRedditGoldGamer". My point is that of course understanding stories, especially longer ones, requires you to actually engage with the story and going "Oh but it's so confusing because I'm getting incomplete information second and third hand about it!!!" is just you being stupid and not a fault of the concept of narrative story telling.

I can see we aren't going to see eye to eye. I think it's bad story telling, you don't. whatever.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I didn't like the combat.
I didn't like the story.
"I'm going to KILL Chaos" is so goddamn cringe. A better example of goofy writing/presentation is Two Worlds 1. That game owned. It wasn't cringy, but you could laugh at it because it did things so poorly while trying to be a straight shooter that it was fun in spite of itself.

thats not the story of stranger of paradise

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

The Colonel posted:

thats not the story of stranger of paradise

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lr1k_LN07OQ

??????

Clarste posted:

Fun fact: you can go to wikipedia and read a plot summary of any movie and every single one will sound like the worst, most confusing story ever.

I don't agree with that. even a comedy book like https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Restaurant_at_the_End_of_the_Universe makes logical sense.

Having someone show up later with no foreshadowing suddenly be xenohort doesn't.

it's like when I read this book where at the 11th hour Vlad Tepes is still alive and he saves humanity from an alien invasion like, no. gently caress that dumb poo poo.

GreenBuckanneer fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Apr 9, 2023

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Fun fact: you can go to wikipedia and read a plot summary of any movie and every single one will sound like the worst, most confusing story ever.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

when you said "absolutely irredeemable" i thought you were being ironic. now that you werent i revoke your right to say "cringe"

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Seriously, I don't know what it is about wikipedia writers, but they are terrible at summarizing movies.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the irreparable damage fate/ wikipedia writers have done to people's image of fate/stay night and related games and anime

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I can see we aren't going to see eye to eye. I think it's bad story telling, you don't. whatever.

That isn't about this story in particular, it's a comment about you thinking that's a good way to get a grasp on any narrative. You shouldn't try and understand any story by just watching youtube summaries and wikipedia articles. It will make any story sound bad because it's actively rejecting engaging with the work as an attempt to understand the work, and that just does not lead to any understanding.

It leads you to not knowing things and then getting mad when people point that out because you're using an incredibly small fraction of story to come to a conclusion about it

Like this. You just seem stupid as hell.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
reading a story summary on wikipedia is like watching a film on your loving telephone

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
also i'd like to note that this is a one minute and thirty six second cut of jack saying one word across a 15+ hour long game. part of the arc of the story is that jack stops wanting to kill chaos because he realizes his life is more complicated than that and he has an existential crisis over it

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

"That's not what the story or writing in SoP is about"
"Um...the word chaos is said for a total of 1 and a half minutes over a twenty hour game???? How is that not the plot?"

You're just loving stupid.

Like you might as well be cutting up FF7 and showing every time the word [Menu] appears and saying the story is about that.

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

lmao this thread is so loving angry all the time

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Zokari posted:

I think it's just a couple posters like that tbh

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

"That's not what the story or writing in SoP is about"
"Um...the word chaos is said for a total of 1 and a half minutes over a twenty hour game???? How is that not the plot?"

You're just loving stupid.

Like you might as well be cutting up FF7 and showing every time the word [Menu] appears and saying the story is about that.

Maybe it's not, but that's a single example. What I originally said was I didn't like the story in the demo. Every single loving line out of the MC was cringy and the pacing was awkward and it was just really kind of :smith: the entire time I was playing because it stood out as being low budget and bad.

The combat, I guess it could be good for someone, but I really strongly dislike combat like that.

So, if the demo is representative of the game, then it stands to reason, logically, the game is bad. If the demo isn't then, the demo is bad. Still, paying full price for a game at that point on the off chance it isn't, is pretty dumb, especially when those talking about the game are talking about the parts of the game you didn't at ALL enjoy, stands to reason that the rest of the game doesn't fundamentally change from the gameplay or presentation or story presented in the demo.

Regardless, your anger about that isn't going to change my mind, if anything the opposite is now true.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Zokari posted:

I can't find it so pretend I posted a clip of Jack going "I'm not upset, that's just how I am."

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Zokari posted:

i was just quoting david lynch bro

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
restaurant at the end of the universe being the pull you did here, uh, is really not helping whatever case you are trying to make?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-z-kSaKZts

What you've basically done to yourself is look at an Awkward Zombie comic and decide that you understand an entire game.