Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Snooze Cruise posted:

restaurant at the end of the universe being the pull you did here, uh, is really not helping whatever case you are trying to make?

It was the only thing that I could think of offhand at the moment, because I read it recently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Zokari posted:

lmao this thread is so loving angry all the time

im always doing a hop animation and have one of those red vein symbols on my head when i read the thread. only ever using my basic attacks in posts, its a shame.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
Here's my angry RPG take: I keep getting madder and madder at Soul Hackers 2 because there is the skeleton of something interesting here but the game still continuing keeps undercutting those bits.

I'm ~10 hours past my "it feels like it's ending any moment now" post and the cast continues to get smaller, to the point that in the level 4 soul dungeons, which FEEL like a loving epilogue, given the level of rear end in a top hat teleport games they play and the fact that they show each party member the AI core trying to predict their future based on their interactions with the party... A) you fight three bosses I'd already fought by the time I made that last post as the characters' catharsis, and B) it then has the balls to go "hey there's a fifth floor down here, come back later". I've filled the compendium barring unlocking more demons! I can't fuse anyone new, but clearly I have quests or bosses to kill because I'm at 97%!

The DLC campaign for this, with the voice acting and full new areas and mechanics and all, is 1000% cut content, I'm now convinced.

I just want to be done with this because it keeps seeming like it's done until it goes WHOOPS MORE GAME and meanwhile I have Stranger of Paradise waiting to be installed when I'm done.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I don't think there's anything inherently wrong with keeping a small core cast and, like, one "rival" each, the game is definitely padded with repetitive and tedious dungeons.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

RareAcumen posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-z-kSaKZts

What you've basically done to yourself is look at an Awkward Zombie comic and decide that you understand an entire game.

I'll take a look at this, I can ignore combat in a game if the story is good, or vice versa. I feel like I should probably just watch a cutscene compilation instead though

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Clarste posted:

Seriously, I don't know what it is about wikipedia writers, but they are terrible at summarizing movies.

Wikipedia has no defined use case and therefore the people writing the summaries don't have a good picture of who they're for.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

i believe part of the issue is that there's an editorial desire to keep movie summaries as concise as possible to better match the encyclopedic format, so anything with a plot that isn't a straight arrow from A -> B gets a lot of the necessary context culled or important plot beats simplified down to the point that it becomes an incomprehensible mess

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I'll take a look at this, I can ignore combat in a game if the story is good, or vice versa. I feel like I should probably just watch a cutscene compilation instead though

like half of the writing in stranger of paradise is in mid-gameplay dialog. you're missing out on a ton without that

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

The Colonel posted:

like half of the writing in stranger of paradise is in mid-gameplay dialog. you're missing out on a ton without that

I really liked the banter in Dragon Age in Mass Effect, but I don't think important parts of the narrative should be reliant on party banter to hold up the rest of it. Mid gameplay dialogue like banter should be inconsequential and funny as a way to break up the serious bits of the actual cutscenes

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Zokari posted:

Thread only gets like that when someone storms in mad about Nomura taking Iron Fist out of Marvel v Capcom 4 or whatever thing he's not even distantly involved in.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

By all means, absolutely continue. Watching a video showing combat, dialogue and actual story from the video game is a much better way to have knowledge of the game in question than simply watching a joke video shorter than the CyberPunk 2077 1.2 patch notes in the style of the Star Wars opening text crawl.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

a minute and the half of the protagonist of a 20-30 hour game saying the main antagonist's name seems pretty normal

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Zokari posted:

no what happens is people storm in here with the dumbest takes known to man, get mild pushback, and then send me PMs saying i will never be loved by another human being or whatever

when people arent trying to give dumb hot takes the conversation in this thread is genuinely pleasant and informative. its only when people feel a need to talk about how the protagonist of a story having a motivation is cringe that people get annoyed.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

If this was your take why would you respond to someone saying "The plot isn't about that" with that supercut like it was a counter point? Genuinely curious here.

I really don't think the "Actually I'm the one being reasonable" route works when you repeatedly responded to incredibly tame push pack like that lol.

Aside: I think I hit act 2 (maybe 3?) in Tale of Arise. I have a new OP that's weirdly chill and also I have no goddamn clue what's happening anymore and all I really care about is these two goobers admitting they love each other and maybe Law can find a nice lady friend somewhere because the boy's had a hard run of it.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Apr 9, 2023

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

remember that guy who was convinced anytime tifa grunted slightly while punching somebody in ff7 remake that was pandering to hentai ahegao perverts or something.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Endorph posted:

a minute and the half of the protagonist of a 20-30 hour game saying the main antagonist's name seems pretty normal

Genuinely surprised that video isn't longer, to be honest.

Ramie
Mar 2, 2021
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
even when it's bad this thread is very good imo. much like the genre we all gather round

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

For the record I have never sent you or anybody for that matter a PM like that

https://youtu.be/tjiHufVEc7g

This was the synopsis of KH I was referring to though. Even if we aren't talking about it missing some nuance by way of it not showing the game as it was meant to be experienced, the story itself should be able the stand on its own merits.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

GreenBuckanneer posted:

This was the synopsis of KH I was referring to though. Even if we aren't talking about it missing some nuance by way of it not showing the game as it was meant to be experienced, the story itself should be able the stand on its own merits.
why should the story have to be able to 'stand on its own merits' as presented by a jokey youtube video made by someone uninvolved with the game? any idiot could make a video summarizing any game and present it any way. even if the basic information is correct, how that information is presented is 90% of storytelling.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

GreenBuckanneer posted:

No it shouldn't. you talking about a franchise of a dozen 25-30 hour RPGS all with both franchise long and game long arcs and bits of character writing and interpretation and plot points that make up the narrative as a whole. Boiling that down to 30 mins of the bare bones minimum narrative is not 'The Story'. Cause the story is all the base plot points and all those bits that this cuts out for time. The actual telling of a narrative is the majority of the story, and this doesn't have any of that.

Again, this is you deciding to try and find understanding with the work without actually engaging with the work at all and deciding it must be bad because you didn't enjoy that process.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the story of kingdom hearts is the joke where tifa goes 'hey, im looking for someone with dumb spiky hair' and every one in the room turns to look at sora.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
Reading a summary in lieu of engaging directly with a work does not an educated understanding make.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Endorph posted:

the story of kingdom hearts is the joke where tifa goes 'hey, im looking for someone with dumb spiky hair' and every one in the room turns to look at sora.

The story of KH is that scene in KH3 where Goofy owns the previous 2 main antagonist with facts and logic and they basically say "drat you got us there" and teleport away.

And that scene where sora has to go fight by himself and donald and goofy worry over him like they're his parents and say "OKay...but promise to be good. And come home safe".

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

you don't have to play every game in a series before you're allowed to say you don't like it

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Zokari posted:

you don't have to play every game in a series before you're allowed to say you don't like it
no but you should probably play at least one

not being interested in something is different from thinking its objectively bad

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I don't even like Kingdom Hearts but I think basing your opinions on a summary is pretty dumb.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Zokari posted:

You're do have to like...know what a story is to say "This story is bad" though. Not that you watched a joke summary by a comedy youtube man that made the story sound bad.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

and if your argument is that the story of a game doesnt make sense then 'the game is part of an ongoing series and there are games that directly explain these plot points' is a completely fair argument

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Endorph posted:

why should the story have to be able to 'stand on its own merits' as presented by a jokey youtube video made by someone uninvolved with the game? any idiot could make a video summarizing any game and present it any way. even if the basic information is correct, how that information is presented is 90% of storytelling.

I guess then the difference of what we're talking about not liking is probably not the presentation aspect but the structure. Like they're talking about the main story and they're seemingly within the first game and it's already going "all according to plan" and some asspull happens.

I can watch something that takes longer and is more representative, but it may be a waste of time if the issues presented in the shorter form media are actually still present in the direct content.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Also if your argument is "The story sucks because it's all about X" and someone who has actually played it says "No it's not" then going "NUH UH!" and posting a joke compilation isn't a cognizant point or argument.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I guess then the difference of what we're talking about not liking is probably not the presentation aspect but the structure. Like they're talking about the main story and they're seemingly within the first game and it's already going "all according to plan" and some asspull happens.

The 'main story' isn't just the bare plot beats of a narrative, it's all the other parts of the narrative that cohesively bond together through the telling to form a solid Thing.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just... don't watch the summaries and don't play the games and feel comfortable not really knowing what Kingdom Hearts is about, but only that you don't feel like playing it. That's allowed.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

GreenBuckanneer posted:

you are talking about a video that is extremely confused that in the disney game, entitled kingdom hearts, where sora has just given a giant speech about friendship, where 'light' and 'darkness' are literal metaphysical concepts that drastically impact the world, that kairi is able to reach his heart when hes turned into a heartless and restore him to his human form, because she cares about him that much.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Clarste posted:

Just... don't watch the summaries and don't play the games and feel comfortable not really knowing what Kingdom Hearts is about, but only that you don't feel like playing it. That's allowed.

Yeah it's the coming in here and make stupid proclamations for bad reasons people are pushing back on, not that you don't like the games. like endorph said.

Endorph posted:

no what happens is people storm in here with the dumbest takes known to man, get mild pushback, and then send me PMs saying i will never be loved by another human being or whatever

when people arent trying to give dumb hot takes the conversation in this thread is genuinely pleasant and informative. its only when people feel a need to talk about how the protagonist of a story having a motivation is cringe that people get annoyed.

Endorph posted:

you are talking about a video that is extremely confused that in the disney game, entitled kingdom hearts, where sora has just given a giant speech about friendship, where 'light' and 'darkness' are literal metaphysical concepts that drastically impact the world, that kairi is able to reach his heart when hes turned into a heartless and restore him to his human form, because she cares about him that much.

Or that she trusted him so much that her heart naturally sought out his for shelter when things went bad.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Also if your argument is "The story sucks because it's all about X" and someone who has actually played it says "No it's not" then going "NUH UH!" and posting a joke compilation isn't a cognizant point or argument.

The 'main story' isn't just the bare plot beats of a narrative, it's all the other parts of the narrative that cohesively bond together through the telling to form a solid Thing.

That's like saying that you in order to understand the entire scope of the story, you can't skip any side quests when playing the game. The side quests are part of the entire narrative being told. More often than not in most games the side quests are just completely ignorable

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

maybe, the video that goes out of its way to insult the series' main female character whenever shes remotely relevant to the plot, isnt very good

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I really liked the banter in Dragon Age in Mass Effect, but I don't think important parts of the narrative should be reliant on party banter to hold up the rest of it. Mid gameplay dialogue like banter should be inconsequential and funny as a way to break up the serious bits of the actual cutscenes

stranger is an action rpg spinoff. it has a low budget. it doesnt want to waste time on really long cutscenes. it places dialog mid-gameplay during low periods where all you're doing is sitting on elevators or exploring because that's a reasonable time to place important dialog where the cast are interacting. it's no different from uncharted having character banter when all you're doing is wandering a small area or climbing around

one of the most important bits of mid-game party banter is placed in a long empty hallway with a short branch off to an empty room with a chest so that you'll know to just hang back for a second and listen to the party talk

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

GreenBuckanneer posted:

That's like saying that you in order to understand the entire scope of the story, you can't skip any side quests when playing the game. The side quests are part of the entire narrative being told. More often than not in most games the side quests are just completely ignorable

And sometimes they add additional context to the main story. You'll never know unless you play them.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

GreenBuckanneer posted:

No it's not, it's saying all the small moments that happen in between the limited and selective plot beats covered by that summary are just as much a part of the story as everything else, not that you have to 100% a narrative.

Like...all the small moments between the characters, the bits that build Sora and pals up as a group and friends that the narrative heavily leans on for dramatic and textual purposes, is entirely skipped in that. It's admitting the character writing is just as important to the story as the idea that Protag A went to Location B and Did Event X. That there are incredibly important bits of the story that are skipped by just reading a summary of basic events.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Calling a game iredeemable is going to get people to be harsher and make fun of you more than if you just said "i played the demo and didn't like how it played and the plot didn't grab me"

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

GreenBuckanneer posted:

to be clear, they. they arent talking about the side quests. they're talking about the main plot. that video skips past literally every disney world in every game even when they are actually relevant to the plot and are mandatory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

like if nothing else the characters outright acknowledge a bunch of the kairi heart stuff in the peter pan world in kh1, of course it comes across as way more of an asspull when you remove all the foreshadowing and setup surrounding it.