Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

maruhkati
Sep 29, 2021

NAZ REID
If the Wolves are lucky, they can get past the Lakers and then Rudy can go on and win them the matchup against the Grizzlies he was explicitly brought to this team to help them win.

I just want him to know, though (since I know he regularly goes to Something Awful Dot Com for tips) that there is absolutely nothing he can ever do to get me to respect him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1645188844579422208?s=20

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Dexo posted:

Anthony loving Edwards >>>>

https://twitter.com/twolvesbrazil/status/1645184988785065985

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

I’m a Knight of LeBron for life but I’m cheering for the Wolves Tuesday just because the Wolves/Grizzlies series last year was incredible and I want more of that energy

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
I will never forget Kenneth Lofton Jr giving Wemby hell in that U-19 game a couple of years back.

:911:

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Jfc. The Rudy stuff is stupid but this is awful.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
Minnesota sports exist to torment me.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Dexo posted:

I will never forget Kenneth Lofton Jr giving Wemby hell in that U-19 game a couple of years back.

:911:

same, been a fan of his ever since

maruhkati
Sep 29, 2021

NAZ REID

Lockback posted:

I mean, Towns missed 53 games and they only dropped 1 seed after today's win. If they stood pat last season and Towns missed those games they'd probably have like 30 wins.

They'd still have their pick, though, plus options for other moves. The way to judge the Gobert trade is not "Gobert vs. Doing Absolutely Nothing Ever" but "Gobert vs. Possible Alternatives, of Which Doing Nothing Was Just One of Them."

In order to make the cost worth it, Finch is going to have to turn the Rudy/KAT pairing into something truly special next season. Not just 4-seed special, but the kind of success that makes other teams change the way THEY do things. Otherwise they should have done literally anything else.

They're in a position roughly comparable to last year, which is good considering. But is their ceiling really much higher than that? It's not like this is a Suns situation, where they're a four-seed because of injuries but everyone knows they're one of the heavy hitters in the conference. With the injuries it's hard to tell but they really didn't FEEL like the Wolves had taken a leap at any point this year.

But let's not rehash THAT old argument. There's no changing it now. Wolves won, now let's beat LA and send healing energy to Jaden's punchyfist.

maruhkati fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Apr 9, 2023

GenericMartini
Oct 22, 2012

AYYYYY PAPI
Mike Conley really holding this team together.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
I don't think a KAT/Ant core is winning a championship, but I'd rather see then make the second round then get middling picks and be a .500 team for the next 4 years. I've seen enough of the draft pick revolving door.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

https://twitter.com/Money23Green/status/1645188585669414912?s=20

This league!!!

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

DeimosRising posted:

Who are the Zogo system contenders this year?

Bucks/76ers would be the most typical winner. With a miracle the Warriors could replicate the 1995 Rockets.

Nuggets have a terrible defense. Celtics/Grizzlies are good regular season teams but don't have an MVP caliber guy. Kings would be young to win the title.

The big question of the east is Robert Williams III who is putting up strong numbers but has missed a ton of time. If he played the whole season healthy the Celtics would be the clear title favorites. Giannis needs to avoid the FT line (his FT% looks weaker than ever as league average FT% is higher than ever) and stop taking so many 3P shots. IF Harden/Embiid both show up big they have to be a favorite.

The big question of the west is that the 1-13 seeds have an SRS standard deviation that's under two. That's ridiculously close. I haven't checked but that's got to be one of the lowest ever. So there's more reason than ever to be skeptical about seeding. It's too early to tell if this is a blip or will become a long-term trend.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/TheHoopCentral/status/1645190541150400513?s=20

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
Thank god for the Mavericks to distract me from the insanity of the Wolves season.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Yesssss

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

how can you be that mad at slow motion anderson

maruhkati
Sep 29, 2021

NAZ REID

Lockback posted:

I don't think a KAT/Ant core is winning a championship, but I'd rather see then make the second round then get middling picks and be a .500 team for the next 4 years. I've seen enough of the draft pick revolving door.

They had other choices, guy. There was, in fact, more than one NBA player available to be traded in the Year of Our Lord 2022. Many of which could have been had for much less than they gave up.

I get wanting playoffs so bad you don't care what you give up to get it but being locked in for the next SEVEN years is absurd. You have no idea what this team or even what the league is going to be like in seven years. It doesn't matter who you are, or how long it's been since you made the playoffs - you don't give up that many years for anything other than a shot at a title run.

And I guarantee you that is what Connelly was thinking when he made the move. Not "aw, golly gee, it'd sure be awfully nice to get into the postseason, even though we literally just did."

Ragnarok the Red
Jun 21, 2002

He gone…and Luka’s probably going to be asking for a trade within a year.

WTG Cubes :bang:

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
I'm in awe at how toxic Gobert is

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Kyrie leaving doesn't totally make sense since there is not a lot of places to go but he's unpredictable so who knows. The Rockets are gonna try to make the playoffs next year so they're gonna give someone that max.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

maruhkati posted:

They had other choices, guy. There was, in fact, more than one NBA player available to be traded in the Year of Our Lord 2022. Many of which could have been had for much less than they gave up.

I get wanting playoffs so bad you don't care what you give up to get it but being locked in for the next SEVEN years is absurd. You have no idea what this team or even what the league is going to be like in seven years. It doesn't matter who you are, or how long it's been since you made the playoffs - you don't give up that many years for anything other than a shot at a title run.

And I guarantee you that is what Connelly was thinking when he made the move. Not "aw, golly gee, it'd sure be awfully nice to get into the postseason, even though we literally just did."

They'll make up some of that lost ground when they trade KAT

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Rick posted:

Kyrie leaving doesn't totally make sense since there is not a lot of places to go but he's unpredictable so who knows. The Rockets are gonna try to make the playoffs next year so they're gonna give someone that max.

There is a small chance he just makes a podcast and becomes Alex Jones

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

R.D. Mangles posted:

how can you be that mad at slow motion anderson

I know it’s not what happened but i just picture Rudy saying “SloMo more like HoMo” in his dumb accent and that’s why he got called a bitch

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Cavauro posted:

Perhaps many people will list Embiid or Jokic in first place, and put the other one in third or even lower place in order to 'gameify' the system as humans often do without being able to control themselves. And if that happened, maybe the second place player in all of those results (Giannis Antetokounmpo?) could sneak in and shockingly win the MVP award if they got a few first place votes as well. Does the system work this way or is it based on who receives the most first place votes? I don't mind being wrong if that's why this can't happen, or if it's just too farfetched to happen.

It's rare for that to happen. The only time someone lost while getting the most first place votes was Barkley in 1990:

code:
Player		Age	Tm	First	Pts Won	 Share
Magic Johnson	30	LAL	27	636	 0.691
Charles Barkley	26	PHI	38	614	 0.667
Michael Jordan	26	CHI	21	564	 0.613
2006 was a contentious election:

code:
Player		 Age	Tm	First	Pts Won	Share
Steve Nash	 31	PHO	57	924	0.739
LeBron James	 21	CLE	16	688	0.55
Dirk Nowitzki	 27	DAL	14	544	0.435
Kobe Bryant	 27	LAL	22	483	0.386
Chauncey Billups 29	DET	15	430	0.344
Five different guys getting a decent number of first place votes.

1976 was a close vote too:

code:
Player		Age	Tm	First	Pts Won	Share
K. Abdul-Jabbar	28	LAL	52	409	0.442
Bob McAdoo	24	BUF	47	393	0.425
Dave Cowens	27	BOS	48	378	0.409

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

Zogo posted:

Bucks/76ers would be the most typical winner. With a miracle the Warriors could replicate the 1995 Rockets.

Nuggets have a terrible defense. Celtics/Grizzlies are good regular season teams but don't have an MVP caliber guy. Kings would be young to win the title.

The big question of the east is Robert Williams III who is putting up strong numbers but has missed a ton of time. If he played the whole season healthy the Celtics would be the clear title favorites.

Wouldn't a healthy Robert Williams III still see the Celtics run into the "don't gave an MVP caliber guy" hurdle?

Not critiquing so much as wondering what the threshold is for you to elevate a team beyond needing a true MVP-level star (Pistons 04 must fall in this bucket yea?).

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
I LOVE THIS GAME

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

DPOY Rudy Gobert shut down the wolves,,,,, folks

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

https://twitter.com/_Andrew_Lopez/status/1645201061219639298?s=20

Can’t wait to find out Gobert has the team chat on a green bubble

JackBandit
Jun 6, 2011
Zogo do you believe in ws/48 this season? It has some weird results like Kevon looney being number 6 along with a bunch of other mediocre (in relative terms) bigs. Also Jimmy butler has a historically high number. I took a look because I was surprised Tatum didn’t count as an MVP level candidate in your numbers, but he’s number 22 just under onyeku okongwu.

I’m not familiar with the way it’s calculated, it just seems the order is less close to the eye test than usual this year.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

loooooooooool

quote:

[Wojnarowski] on the Rudy Gobert x Kyle Anderson altercation: Kyle Anderson: “Hey, why don’t you block some shots?” - Rudy Gobert: “Why don’t you grab a rebound.” https://streamable.com/zjdmfx

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

JackBandit posted:

Zogo do you believe in ws/48 this season? It has some weird results like Kevon looney being number 6 along with a bunch of other mediocre (in relative terms) bigs. Also Jimmy butler has a historically high number. I took a look because I was surprised Tatum didn’t count as an MVP level candidate in your numbers, but he’s number 22 just under onyeku okongwu.

I’m not familiar with the way it’s calculated, it just seems the order is less close to the eye test than usual this year.

WS/48 isn't a good stat, especially because it's 50% based off defensive win shares. Let's look at the top 15 in defensive win shares.

quote:

1. Evan Mobley • CLE 4.8
2. Jayson Tatum • BOS 4.4
3. Nikola Vučević • CHI 4.2
4. Nic Claxton • BRK 4.1
5. Jarrett Allen • CLE 3.9
6. Brook Lopez • MIL 3.9
7. Joel Embiid • PHI 3.9
8. Bam Adebayo • MIA 3.8
9. Jaren Jackson Jr. • MEM 3.8
10. Giannis Antetokounmpo • MIL 3.7
11. Nikola Jokić • DEN 3.7
12. Donovan Mitchell • CLE 3.5
13. Rudy Gobert • MIN 3.5
14. Anthony Edwards • MIN 3.5
15. Jaylen Brown • BOS 3.4

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1645203902483124226?s=46&t=3d9JmXOJWgE8nozHLwUyjQ

BREAKING

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
Sources say

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

ESPN needs to hire Joakim Noah as a commentator to clap at this

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

soggybagel posted:

Minnesota sports exist to torment me.

For those who missed it yesterday:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DgNabkBeRJs

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

WhyteRyce posted:

loooooooooool

A physical savoir-faire made for radio and twitter

Algund Eenboom
May 4, 2014

DC Murderverse posted:

Real excited for the inevitable Wolves/Clippers winner stays loser goes game

https://twitter.com/ridiculouscage/status/1645177628964585472?s=61&t=8JkXY6WvGS2ZhndUWoGXpw

We have a teammate fight at home

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Lol, I feel better about the fight now that it's just middle age guys being pissy at the Y.