Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it might appear that kiryu is killing a bunch of guys in a helicopter with a gun, but he's actually teaching them valuable life lessons. with a gun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Yakuza 0 is the story of a cabaret owner looking to make it in this town.

I had an employee who watched all the games story modes as she isn't much of a gamer but loved the melodrama and plots but made an exception to play the absolute bejeesus out of the Cabaret mode.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

it might appear that kiryu is killing a bunch of guys in a helicopter with a gun, but he's actually teaching them valuable life lessons. with a gun.

He taught them if you gently caress around you find out.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Having just finished Stranger of Paradise for the first time, it might honestly be my favorite plot in the FF franchise and is pretty up there in RPGs in general.

Jack is just an absolutely great character and the entire ending sequence is a delight. When everything has gone to hell and all is lost, the only remaining glimmer of hope is for Jack to *actually* become the Doomslayer-esque rage golem that he initially pretended to be, as one last desperate "gently caress you" to the omnipotent uncaring god-beings that hosed everything up - and the catalyst for him doing so isn't the fall of Cornelia or the death of his love interest, it's the sacrifice of his friends, who the game has spent the entire game building his relationship with. It's definitely the most interesting and compelling take on the FF1 time loop that I've ever seen and the scene where Jack is sitting alone on the throne and the four elemental fiends appear before him and each appear as his friends to talk to him - because that's what they became - is just great.

The postgame/DLC stuff is also great - the FF1 time loop being what amounts to an extended attempt to produce Warriors of Light strong enough to gently caress Lufenia over is a wonderful concept, and the very first postgame DLC fight being you wrecking shop on a Warrior of Light who clearly doesn't make the grade before Jack gets frustrated is extremely entertaining.

Anyone who thinks that the game's plot is just a dumb memefest is shortchanging themselves.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
honestly while the combat's not like. great. like a dragon's combat engine does best match the general tone they're trying to strike with that stuff since it's a lot easier to buy the exaggerated turn-based combat actions mixed with ichiban's fantasy rpg delusions, compared to oh kiryu just shot these guys with a motherfucking rocket launcher but i guess that doesn't count as him killing anyone

also just in general ichiban fits the idea of what they keep trying to do with protags best, even like akiyama has some weird baggage dragging his character down in how he's written, the only ones who universally match the innocent goofy tone they want to do are like, ichiban and shinada. whenever the games have you playing a super buff coolguy their writing always inevitably breaks down at some point into them scolding people for not understanding Yakuza Honor in a way you are absolutely supposed to think is the coolest and most Honorable poo poo and it makes them uh, a bit hard to really connect with anymore

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Apr 9, 2023

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

A rocket launcher that fires a dummy grenade that explodes open with a lil bang flag, I assume

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Erg posted:

Something I did not remember until I did a recent replay of 2 is that Goofy is consistently the most reasonable member of the party and probably the fastest on the uptake

Goofy ftw

He's the calm, reasonable parent of the group, mostly because he'd have to be. Sora is too dumb to obey the laws of physics, and Donald is 5 seconds from exploding everything around him.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
stranger of paradise done. enjoyed it a lot

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

The Colonel posted:

stranger of paradise done. enjoyed it a lot

I liked it a lot too, glad you enjoyed.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qQzdAsjWGPg

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Limbus Company is win. Love my extremely emotionally damaged crew of middle aged gently caress ups.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
on chapter 6 of fuga, no dead kids yet

i wonder how many of the berman rank-and-file are hearing stories of entire battalions being wiped out by a five-story tank that barks out perfectly coordinated firing orders in a chorus of 4-12 year old voices, and then thinking that maybe this whole "war" thing isn't all it's cracked up to be

Whirling
Feb 23, 2023

I played those Fear & Hunger games a while ago and I wonder if there's anything like it in the JRPG scene that's a lot less Eurojank that has the stuff I liked from it, in that characters/classes you can pick are extremely different from another and change up the way you play. While I can criticize a lot about those games (the first one especially), it was really cool how characters can navigate the games in entirely different ways due to what skills or circumstances they're in; the combat-focused characters have an easier time early on but have to go through more dangerous routes to get around obstacles that other characters can lockpick their way through, the occultists have creepy tomes bound in human skin that have different effects like creating linked portals to make traveling around easier or creating trees to make shortcuts, there's one character that's disabled and has to use a wheelchair to get around and that changes up a ton about the game, and so on.

also should I apologize again for the bad Kingdom Hearts takes, because you're all still talking about it and I still feel bad for being a dick about it

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games
Extremely Cool Things in KH3:
-Most of the weapon forms, bit especially the Murder Yo-yo and Our Flag Means Death
-Woody telling a Nort to gently caress off
-Sully bodily hurling Vanitas through door after door
-Being a pirate
-Taking the ultimate KH villain power for yourself by turning into a ship
-The part in the DLC where they basically recreate the microwave hallway scene from MGS4 except with Mickey Motherfucking Mouse

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

What is this kid's DEAL?!

Whirling posted:

I played those Fear & Hunger games a while ago and I wonder if there's anything like it in the JRPG scene that's a lot less Eurojank that has the stuff I liked from it, in that characters/classes you can pick are extremely different from another and change up the way you play. While I can criticize a lot about those games (the first one especially), it was really cool how characters can navigate the games in entirely different ways due to what skills or circumstances they're in; the combat-focused characters have an easier time early on but have to go through more dangerous routes to get around obstacles that other characters can lockpick their way through, the occultists have creepy tomes bound in human skin that have different effects like creating linked portals to make traveling around easier or creating trees to make shortcuts, there's one character that's disabled and has to use a wheelchair to get around and that changes up a ton about the game, and so on.

Those bits of info about the Fear and Hunger games were pretty intriguing, I hadn't realized that there was such a variety of classes with different ways to engage with the map. I always appreciate a glimpse at what makes games I'm probably never going to play cool, thanks! Sounds like it has a lot in common with Octopath Traveler 2, but the difference is that the classes are exclusive.

I'm not sure what exactly you mean by the JRPG scene (are you talking about retro-rpg style, or just any progression fantasy game made in a particular country), but Saga games often have choice of protagonist end up quite significant in terms of which content is available and how to access it. Caves of Qud is almost finished, and you have incredibly varied options for engaging with the world. Dragon's Dogma has classes playing a very different game, though there's not so much divergence in terms of routes I believe. Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous is D&D, which means it is Final Fantasy, which means it is JRPG. Check out some of what has been written about the differences between Mythic paths in that game, it is amazing!

---

Man, anybody else remember the gold box D&D games? Dark Sun: Shattered Lands rocked so much! I loved the story about rallying together all the villages of escaped slaves after resolving their local troubles to resist imperialism. I adored the pixel art and the vibes from the ancient soundblaster card music. But it was also really interesting in terms of tactical RPG combat.

Shattered Lands is the first game I played that emphasized how important line of sight can be in combat. All those cloud and wall spells could keep people from attacking each other, and in some cases allow you to break out of combat mode completely, doing rest and recovery stuff in between engaging different sub-groups of enemies. The possibility space that created was just delicious. Other games have certainly played with creative combat resolution since then, or had jank that allowed you to cheese past huge obstacles in the game, but I'll never forgot the feeling of delight I got when I figured out that the seemingly impossible battle against all the guards in the slave pens at the start was something you could absolutely break up into manageable pieces.

I've been eyeing up a few different prospects that might capture a similar vibe, once I have time to take a week of vacation. There are some obvious choices in the catalogs of Larian and Obsidian, but I am also hopeful that Horizon's Gate will give me a big weird world to explore and a lot of scary stuff I'll be able to deal with by not playing fair (the pixel style and option to pause the game and switch into observation mode seems to give it lots in common with Shattered Lands aesthetically).

Whirling
Feb 23, 2023

avoraciopoctules posted:

Those bits of info about the Fear and Hunger games were pretty intriguing, I hadn't realized that there was such a variety of classes with different ways to engage with the map. I always appreciate a glimpse at what makes games I'm probably never going to play cool, thanks! Sounds like it has a lot in common with Octopath Traveler 2, but the difference is that the classes are exclusive.

I'm not sure what exactly you mean by the JRPG scene (are you talking about retro-rpg style, or just any progression fantasy game made in a particular country), but Saga games often have choice of protagonist end up quite significant in terms of which content is available and how to access it. Caves of Qud is almost finished, and you have incredibly varied options for engaging with the world. Dragon's Dogma has classes playing a very different game, though there's not so much divergence in terms of routes I believe. Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous is D&D, which means it is Final Fantasy, which means it is JRPG. Check out some of what has been written about the differences between Mythic paths in that game, it is amazing!

I meant something more along the lines of a traditional turn-based JRPG. I'll check out Saga sometime in the future; I've already played Pathfinder WOTR and Dragon's Dogma.

Anyway, yeah, Termina's an interesting one. I can recommend it with a few caveats; the dev is not super proficient in English so the writing is sometimes very confusing, its insanely difficult (but more fair than the first game), and some of the horror elements get so over the top that they fall flat. Still, when it works, its a genuinely tense and frightening game that makes you do crazy poo poo in order to survive. Nothing in the game outright explains how leveling up works, but eventually you'll figure out when looting an enemy after finding a bonesaw (one is conveniently placed early on) that you can saw their heads off, and that you can trade these heads to an altar for pieces of the item you need to get new perks. Also, since the other characters you don't pick (plus six other people) are contestants in a supernatural battle royale ritual, sawing *their* heads off means you can trade their heads to a special NPC for occult items (but, of course, that means you can't recruit them and there really is safety in numbers when it comes to this game). Halfway through the game, when I was sawing off yet another head to level up because I needed to learn some spells because by god does the game ramp up in difficulty when you get into the city area and I really NEEDED that magic to get by, I realized this is the most deranged I've ever acted in a video game, and I kinda dug it.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i started playing armored core last raven and it's absurd how immediately the game is just armored core nexus but good

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

What is this kid's DEAL?!

Talking about Shattered Lands got me fired up to revisit some more recent dimly remembered WRPG jank. I remembered playing a demo for an unreleased isometric pixel WRPG on steam, bumbling through the tutorial, then wandering onto a beach and instantly getting slaughtered by crab monsters who shrugged off my puny magic firebolts. I remembered a LOT of frontloaded stuff establishing my char's relationship with a noble family that wanted me to find a lost daughter on some spooky island, and I remembered a combination of early gold box pixel artstyle and fog of war that gave playing the game a weird hazy dreamlike feel.

After about an hour or two of googling and rediscovering Black Geyser (Third-stringer infinity engine RTwP! Came out about a year ago, but they ran out of money working on the promised kickstarter DLC and are thinking about launching a second kickstarter to keep going. Cool gimmick with supernatural greed corrupting the world that doesn't deliver on its promise as much as one would hope. Also had really bad battle magic when I tried it, maybe they fixed that by now), Horizon's Gate (cool open world sailing captain RPG with retro pixel graphics, touched on it earlier), Sands of Salzaar (cool open world warlord fantasy with fights that feel like mount and blade meets diablo. Technically I think it's chinese, but they are aiming for a middle eastern fantasy flavor I quite like), and Gedonia (charming but immensely janky third person RPG with early 2000s MMO / elder scrolls vibes. I like summoning a posse of different elemental skeletons and breaking the game with flight magic, I didn't like getting stuck on the magic school questline because a quest was coded back when their blink spell worked very differently than it does now), I finally reminded myself of the title.

I think the fog of war was the key, lol, my final search turned up a reddit post specifically talking about how the fog of war / line of sight effects they used created a distinct artstyle feel. SKALD: Against the Black Priory seems like it has the potential to turn into something really cool, but it isn't even officially in Early Access yet. Hmm... but I do see a post from December saying that they updated the demo with new content. Perhaps I will dare the wrath of the crabby hordes once again.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
seems like if you can get past the first few chapters of fuga without sacrificing a child's soul to Ares, the cannon becomes mostly obsoleted by all the synergies you unlock

the latest boss i fought could not act throughout his entire fight. a six-year old girl made him too unlucky

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

This cannon sacrifice game sounds interesting

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Meowywitch posted:

This cannon sacrifice game sounds interesting

Good news its got a sequel coming and the first is on game pass

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I just realized I missed the sale on Fuga...

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Im glad tbis thread has gotten fugapilled

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Mato Anomalies got me back in at 27 hours in when the story finally started up again and now within 3 hours it decided to do a bunch of twists that I just dont care for so its losing me again.

It killed another kid in a comical way so at least its found its niche.

Gameplay wise the skill tree capout of utility unfortunately long ago capped out so every level up is an opportunity to improve skills Ive quite literally never used and will never use.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Oxxidation posted:

seems like if you can get past the first few chapters of fuga without sacrificing a child's soul to Ares, the cannon becomes mostly obsoleted by all the synergies you unlock

the latest boss i fought could not act throughout his entire fight. a six-year old girl made him too unlucky

It's something I feel a bit iffy on since the combat is fun but I would like if there was a little more pressure on the cannon being useful. That said there's still another factor that can impact the ending, I donno if you want a spoiler on that or not.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
i already know about it. i'll almost certainly have to do another loop to fulfill that requirement, no way am i getting britz's affection up with everyone while keeping the tank and the party maintained

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I mean I kind of ruined the game difficulty for myself because someone told me how broken Hack was lol

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
hack is busted for single-target damage, but kyle can turn cannon users into flawless screen-nukers and chick's capable of locking down bosses pretty much in perpetuity as long as there's nothing else to divert her attention

e: the only character where i'm like "and you're here too i guess" is wappa, having a link-focused moveset is neat but too unreliable compared to other tactics

Oxxidation fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Apr 10, 2023

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kyle was my MVP for sure.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Im glad tbis thread has gotten fugapilled

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Just playing Nier Replicant on PC, drat people weren't kidding when they said the OST is godtier. Absolutely mindblowing how good the ost is, the hymn/chanting type doesn't even get overplayed despite being in many of the tracks.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i like that in armored core last raven if you dont do the insanely obvious trap mission set by rim fire he sends you an email going "so you sussed out my trap huh... i guess that common sense is letting you live another few hours... but just you wait... i WILL kill you..."

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Ulio posted:

Just playing Nier Replicant on PC, drat people weren't kidding when they said the OST is godtier. Absolutely mindblowing how good the ost is, the hymn/chanting type doesn't even get overplayed despite being in many of the tracks.

I wish we had Gestalt on PC, you can play it w/ an emulator but it just isn't the same :|

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
it would be nice if they got jamieson price in to record new dialog for the remaster and they gave it more differences from replicant but, the script differences aren't actually big enough to make playing both versions that worth doing outside of how good of a va jamieson price is and the new content is some of the best stuff in the game

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
julie ann taylor's reads for emil are worse in replicant as well. not a lot, but it's noticeable in most of his key scenes

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i played with jp va so i have no thoughts on the replicant dub

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Some will say the music is worse in the remake and they're wrong

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Pokémon scarlet is rockin my world right now, I knew they were headed in the right direction with sword/shield’s wild zone + dlc areas, the open world stucture is one thing but just having large areas to run around and see Pokes is very cool. But the biggest surprise is how good moving around feels, the incremental movement upgrades I’ve gotten so far have all been delicious and leaping up and down cliffs is fun. Def the best Pokémon game I’ve played

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
catching a hundred pokemon before getting your first badge ftw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Mato Anomalies does a bad thing regarding leveling. You have a big skill grid and at each level up you get 1 point to spend. You stop getting new points at level 42 for no reason whatsoever. Im level 47 now and only doing the main story content, so they knew.

Why not let me keep getting them till I fill in the grid. Respecs can be done at any time outside of battle so its not like it hinders me from trying something new to respec, it just makes it take longer and have leveling feel less satisfying.