Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

gradenko_2000 posted:

He is risen! Wishing the thread a joyful and peaceful Easter. May the Lord bless you and your families.

Stalin, hello

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Vomik posted:

the massive loans to Ukraine are the poison pill to stop anyone from a nato country trying to seize parts of it. western Ukraine will be a denationalized zone where true unregulated capitalism can flourish.

There's already been a firesale of state assets, even if Ukraine regains all its lost territory all it'll have left is to be a deeply indebted agri-export country. Grim stuff given the decent amount of legacy heavy infrastructure it had after the collapse of the USSR.

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

Frosted Flake posted:

“The intelligence reports seem to indicate that the United States is also spying on Ukraine’s top military and political leaders, a reflection of Washington’s struggle to get a clear view of Ukraine’s fighting strategies.”

The US can only bypass Russian disinformatsiya by tapping directly into Ukrainian channels. Without Ukrainian approval, of course, they might be compromised...

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Stinky Wizzleteats posted:

thought there was a nuclear component to bunker busters

you are thinking of mercenaries 2, a video game

Stinky Wizzleteats
Nov 26, 2015

You must pay the price for this post.
I guess a 4500lb bomb with a nuclear version that we didn't use doesn't count. I hate this poo poo I'll just shut my dumb hole

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Danann posted:

they just tweeted it out that they spent their ~counteroffensive~ reserves on bakhmut

of course.... it was strategically insignificant, until they blew their strategically significant army there.

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

bedpan posted:

you are thinking of mercenaries 2, a video game

lol

dk2m
May 6, 2009

1stGear posted:

Maximum "comedy" option: the UKR did expend all of their planned offensive units in Bakhmut, but they're still going to attempt one anyway because they have to have some kind of aggressive action to keep the aid money flowing in.

from an economic standpoint, things are looking dire for Ukraine. the lend-lease money and IMF aid they’re receiving is in the form of debt - the west is telling them that they will be strong enough to pay it back in “post war Ukraine” but the reality is that they are in the worst possible macro condition. countries experience default and hyper-inflation not because of money supply, but because they cannot pay foreign debts. as debts come due in the form of interest, paying it back to the US requires Ukraine to either expend their foreign reserves or buy it using their currency. both actions weaken their currency, meaning they will have to stabilize it by attracting additional foreign direct investment or burn through their foreign reserves to buy HRV on the open market.

because their economy has contracted nearly -30%, they have lost millions of people as refugees and their young population is conscripted to fight and die, the west knows that it won’t be possible for this debt (we call it “aid”) to ever be repaid, given their currency will be stressed to unreal levels; the Ukrainians literally have no choice to continue being a war-time economy as they will most likely default if there’s ever peace. the oligarchs are especially scared of this, as the IMF loans all have liberalization clauses that will force the central government to sell off its state assets to western institutions to cover the debt payments - this is the meat we’re after, namely the soviet industrial heartlands infrastructure.

for us in the west, we’ll be just fine as our institutions carve up ukraine economically and turn what was once the jewel of the soviet unions industrial power, with it strong worker protections and massive manufacturing ability, into another de-industrialized wasteland with privatized healthcare and labor weakening reforms

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

Dr. Jerrold Coe posted:

In his book My Struggle, Mr. Hitler simply pleads his case for "living space" and a positive future for the German people,

Hitler was just a guy political almost a hundred years ago, can't we just accept him as someone of his time?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

I guess a 4500lb bomb with a nuclear version that we didn't use doesn't count. I hate this poo poo I'll just shut my dumb hole

Look the Iraq War was literally justified using evidence from watching a Michael Bay movie so you're in prestigious company

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
western media ftw

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

lobster shirt posted:

the best frederick forsyth book, relevant to this thread, is icon, which is about a former cia guy (who got booted from the agency because he was mad at aldrich ames) who is recruited to go save russia from a fascist winning the 2000 election through a campaign of sabotage and dirty tricks. ultimately russia is saved and becomes a nice liberal constitutional monarchy, voting in a referendum to bring back the tsar. it absolutely kicks rear end.

You mean a literal monarchy, as in, they amend the constitution to make a new Tsar?

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

If Ukraine loses, they should just let themselves merge with Poland - bing bong, so simple!

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
and remember folks hitler was a unique evil that came out of nowhere not the culmination of western colonial racism and genocidal attitudes of the previous 150 years but applied on europe this time.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Al-Saqr posted:

and remember folks hitler was a unique evil that came out of nowhere not the culmination of western colonial racism and genocidal attitudes of the previous 150 years but applied on europe this time.

"The Nazis and Italian fascists literally ripped off US policies?! Bolderdash!"

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

tazjin posted:

Yesterday morning I went to a banya that, during Soviet Times, was known for being mostly visited by famous/elite people and which was actually unavailable to the commoners (Усачевские бани for those interested!). On the first fresh steam call, after everyone got into the room, one of the employees said "Everyone shut up, let the priest speak!". The priest showed up, like everyone naked as God had created him, and gave a sermon about the Lazarus Saturday (Orthodox Easter is actually in a week or two). This priest was exactly as wide as he was tall, you could say he was spherical, and this in combination with his posture, beard and the golden cross he wore made him look like an orb of clergical power.

When he ended his speech, some people responded with "Amen" (though most people here are not religious, and just said nothing). This was then followed up by someone shouting "Победа будет!", to which many others responded either "За нами!" or "Это точно!". This whole sequence kind of set the mood for the visit.

After the steam, in the common room, I then ended up speaking to an older guy who laid out a list of things that are important to know:
[list]
[*] Lenin was secretly Swedish, and Swedish was his native language.

Alright, I think this will be my new conspiracy theory. Lenin was actually a Secret Swede (descendant of the captives of Poltava) who was seeking to bring down Russian from within; the revenge of Karl XII

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

i think there was at one point talk about one of the newer penetrators maybe being depleted uranium you might be confabulating? not sure if any actually are depleted uranium or not. pretty sure the explosive parts are either normal explosive (the kind you want to get) or thermobaric (evil orcish technology)

dk2m
May 6, 2009

Al-Saqr posted:

all those wacky ideas he had about superior races and eugenics? that’s all him, he’s the one that started it. it’s not like California was euthanizing thousands against their will to promote a strong gene pool, or we had “scientific better baby” competitions or that the Carnegie institute advocated for the use of gas chambers as euthanasia and the Rockefeller foundation, Stanford, hell even planned parenthood, pioneered racial superiority politics 40 years before the Germans got there

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

PoontifexMacksimus posted:

Alright, I think this will be my new conspiracy theory. Lenin was actually a Secret Swede (descendant of the captives of Poltava) who was seeking to bring down Russian from within; the revenge of Karl XII

That really isn't that much different from the whole "Lenin was a secret German agent" theory.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

bedpan posted:

so no counteroffensive this year? the nine brigades were spent in protecting bakhmut?

massive NAFO reserves standing by chanting "who must go?"

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Does anyone have that one meme arguing the Ukraine war is a conflict between the houses of Hardrada and Godwinson

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

secret swede sent on orders of secret denmark's intelligence agency

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Actually Lenin was a Finnish Agent he literally popped out of Finland Station.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

StashAugustine posted:

Does anyone have that one meme arguing the Ukraine war is a conflict between the houses of Hardrada and Godwinson

I always take out Miriam first because she always ends up being annoyingly strong if you let her be for any amount of time

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

1stGear posted:

Maximum "comedy" option: the UKR did expend all of their planned offensive units in Bakhmut, but they're still going to attempt one anyway because they have to have some kind of aggressive action to keep the aid money flowing in.

Omg.

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

Ardennes posted:

I would argue it is less the history and a dramatic retelling of that history that is amp’ed up to 11 at all times. There is a cleavage but I believe it is primarily an artificial one.

Technically all nations are political creations. Given another outcome from the revolutionary wars we could have seen an independent nation of Vendée (or some HoI4 mod level Bretagne-Vendée union)

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Prigozhin isnt buying the leak story, says there's a big ukranian offensive imminent:-

https://twitter.com/AZgeopolitics/status/1645225759131201537?s=20

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

Regarde Aduck posted:

yeah if you make it happen

if you make a lineup of Leopard 1 era tanks and just slot a T-34 in there as well you can use it

your highest battle rating vehicle is what decides who you're facing. So it'd be you in the T-34 most of the time but you might just come up against someone else who has decided to put a T-34 in their lineup while you're playing Germany.

You wouldn't normally face a leopard 1 because you generally only see things 1 +/- your battle rating. So a T-34 with a BR of 3.0 doesn't see anything above 4.0. A leopard 1 is 7.3. But yeah, you can force the issue yourself.

Corky Romanovsky posted:

It's ±1 Battle Rating (BR) from the player's highest slotted vehicle. So if they are within 1 BR then yes, frequently. Otherwise yes, but infrequently because the lower BR vehicle would have to be filler in the player's lineup.

No offence friends, but if my 1939 Kharkov T-34 can't clown on a factory fresh Leopard 1 that might just not be the game for me

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Al-Saqr posted:

Prigozhin isnt buying the leak story, says there's a big ukranian offensive imminent:-

Guy whose monetary fortunes relies on Chicken Littling everything in order to milk more funds/equipment/etc.? :hmmyes:

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

1stGear posted:

and its a huge success

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Either way, there is clearly a bunch of unaccounted for equipment that is going to be used somewhere. It could be some of Ukraine’s reserves were used or that 80,000 number isn’t close to accurate but we haven’t seen most of that Western equipment deployed.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Ardennes posted:

Either way, there is clearly a bunch of unaccounted for equipment that is going to be used somewhere. It could be some of Ukraine’s reserves were used or that 80,000 number isn’t close to accurate but we haven’t seen most of that Western equipment deployed.

That's because it's already been sold on the black market, OP.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Al-Saqr posted:

we've been definitely been :smugdon: too long so the time is ripe for Ukraine to do an offensive and Russia to wilt away effortlessly, as history has shown

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

You mean a literal monarchy, as in, they amend the constitution to make a new Tsar?

yes and they invite someone from the british royal family who is unnamed but who wikipedia identifies as prince michael of kent. the reasoning in the book is like "communism didn't work, capitalism didn't work, maybe what the russian people need is god and the tsar" lol.

as far as bad spy thrillers go its a very entertaining book, quick and fun read, but its deeply stupid. the fictional main character's backstory is that he was a super spy whose agents were all betrayed by aldrich ames, so he gets kicked out of the cia for beating the poo poo out of ames.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

https://twitter.com/LogKa11/status/1645210354706726915

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

I hope they sent one of the spares to that museum full of other trophies.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Very long-shot thought, but did the nuclear threat analysis of the cold war influence non-nuclear military planning?

Not in the obvious ways like "giving the enemy uncontested air superiority is death" which the WW2 German front alone would tell you; but how did the way that nuclear weapons were tested and measured influence the testing and measurement of conventional weapon systems?

Which is to say: nuclear weapons were only fired in anger twice in human history. All other assessments of the "quality" of a nuclear weapon had to be assessed by a number of abstract variables; yield, launch time, accuracy on a target a thousand miles away that you could obviously never actually try to fire against. How did this method of not just developing computer models for physical effects, but assuming these computer models gave a complete picture of your ability to target your opponent, impact the basic way in which militaries assessed how potential conventional wars would go?

Or: did the way in which the insanity by which nuclear war could be reduced to comparative megadeths lead to armies making equally insane assumptions about non-nuclear technologies?

I'm a bit drunk so this is probably not that well formulated...

Nobody expected to fight a war for more than two weeks, is the short answer.

The longer answer is you would have to look up Atomic Battlefield theory and the Pentomic Division.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Form a new Federation with Poland and renounce all foreign debts. I mean it's a pretty good option at this point.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

stephenthinkpad posted:

Form a new Federation with Poland and renounce all foreign debts pay off Ukraine's debt with assets and foreign reserves seized from Russia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Well if you want to speed up global de-dollarisation that's certainly one way to do it.