Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Tighclops posted:

I don't understand why there is a Scotland cosplay world

Maybe it's all highlands, fog, and bogs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Tighclops posted:

you know all those bad stereotypes about immigrants how they don't want to really integrate and they just want to live the exact same lives with the exact same things somewhere else? well, as a child of a Scot immigrant I can tell you it's not a lie

Penitent
Jul 8, 2005

The Lemonade Man Can

Tighclops posted:

It could have been worse.

It could have been the Planet Ireland from Up the Long Ladder.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

This would suggest that there's also a Planet England out there somewhere :brexit:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I'm reminded of the Night's Dawn books where to avoid nationalist tensions between settlers they just made a one-culture-per-planet policy because they had so many planets. So every time the plot drove up to a planet they'd be like 'oh this is a canada planet there's lots of hockey'.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

Eighties ZomCom posted:

This would suggest that there's also a Planet England out there somewhere :brexit:

Yeah, Earth.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Mike the TV posted:

Yeah, Earth.

Nah, Earth is America planet, aka England 2: The Secret of The Ooze

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
Master Replicas/Eaglemoss released their latest batch of models.

Still didn't get any of the six ships I needed, but I did order the Enterprise J. What are the odds the whisper thin nacelles will survive intact?

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Eighties ZomCom posted:

oh so that’s what happened to Turkana IV

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
The Turkana IV Alliance going on and on about no-go zones and not wanting to pay Federation tax on bananas or whatever

T.C.
Feb 10, 2004

Believe.
It never made sense earlier either, but it's great how completely wacky the bridge crew of the defiant is in the second half of the last season. In the one where the defiant explodes you've got the entire senior staff of one of the most strategically important postings wandering off. Worf is a big picture strategic operations officer and he's pressing the gun buttons. There's a Colonel from a primarily ground based military background running the helm. There's a doctor running something or other instead of ever being in the medical bay and a counselor maybe being the ops officer?

The stories are interesting and they never stare directly at the issue so it's not a big deal. But it's completely insane

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I will say, even with all the stupidity of Picard, I had the largest grin on my face with everyone back together around the conference room table. We didn't even get that in any of the TNG movies even though it was such a staple in moving the plot forward in episodes.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
The table looked weirdly small for that many people and Sirtis must have kept forgetting her blocking because Worf was hidden behind her in almost every shot

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
It's been a while but weren't there conference table scenes in First Contact and Nemesis at least

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Tighclops posted:

It's been a while but weren't there conference table scenes in First Contact and Nemesis at least

In First Contact absolutely. Nemesis I try to forget ever happened.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Worf wasn't in the First Contact conference room scene.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0JsjR-e6QI8

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Tighclops posted:

there was indeed a Nemesis conference room scene:

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

there was indeed a Nemesis conference room scene:

Ah, yes, the scene in which Picard declares, "He's going for Earth," because ... yeah, that makes sense for Shinzon's plan.

God, gently caress John Logan. What a goddamn hack.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I'm not familiar with this Nemesis movie that you speak of. It seems to match the name of the odd 4th disc that came in my TNG set.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

:lol:

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ss_J_4F_nIM

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

This is ... a decent joke, but dragged out to 15 minutes. loving hell.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Yeah I stopped halfway through even though I found it quite funny and his acting pretty natural. It needs to be presented in future as a legal questions advice "column" with Star Trek scenarios

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I just watched Nemesis last night and there was another Romulan Ale reference so I at least appreciated that.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Honestly that felt dragged out by the 5 minute mark and then that started to work for it and the endlessness made it work better and I watched the whole thing and was enjoying it more by the end.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

skasion posted:

Mulgrew’s good. Janeway’s character writing is all over the place, but she works with it and has some deliveries for the ages

“I knooow”

Janeway would've definitely be a contender for best ST captain if the writers could have picked an actual personality for her instead of rocking between them so hard that she's been head canon'ed into a pyschopath.

T.C.
Feb 10, 2004

Believe.
In the episode where quark and rom go to the mirror universe, am I the only one who feels like it hits weird whenever something is opposed to what he expects and rom goes "I guess that's why it's the *alternate* universe."

It feels like they had written the 'joke' calling it the mirror universe or something else that implies an opposite, then changed it on the writing process to 'alternate' and didn't realize that rom's comments don't really make sense.

It kind of works though, because all the things he comments on are definitely alternate things, but he just does it when they're completely opposed so it feels like weird word choice. It could be the directing though, because if he didn't stress the word alternate so much I don't think it would be as weird.

Basically, is just me? It has felt off every time I've seen the episode.

Kei Technical
Sep 20, 2011

T.C. posted:

In the episode where quark and rom go to the mirror universe, am I the only one who feels like it hits weird whenever something is opposed to what he expects and rom goes "I guess that's why it's the *alternate* universe."

It feels like they had written the 'joke' calling it the mirror universe or something else that implies an opposite, then changed it on the writing process to 'alternate' and didn't realize that rom's comments don't really make sense.

It kind of works though, because all the things he comments on are definitely alternate things, but he just does it when they're completely opposed so it feels like weird word choice. It could be the directing though, because if he didn't stress the word alternate so much I don't think it would be as weird.

Basically, is just me? It has felt off every time I've seen the episode.

It’s a bad line, but frankly the mirror universe eps are DS9’s weak point by a mile.

They could at least have had Smiley feel better about his life after hearing what O’Brian went through

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

The mirror universe stuff doesn't really go anywhere and there are better episodes that let the cast cut loose and ham it up

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Paradoxish posted:

Janeway would've definitely be a contender for best ST captain if the writers could have picked an actual personality for her instead of rocking between them so hard that she's been head canon'ed into a pyschopath.

This is why Prodigy is the actually best Modern Star Trek show because the writers finally understand who Janeway is as a person and as a captain and write not just one but two whole different versions of her completely consistently. Voyager Janeway did what she personally thought was morally right by her standards, drat the consequences so she came off like a swerving pyschopath. Prodigy Janeway does IS morally right, period, so she comes across as a stalwart force of nature that you don't want to gently caress with--your best ally if you're on the right side of a matter, and your worst nightmare if you're on the wrong side.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Interesting the theories that are popping up about Jack's background with one I saw today being pah wraiths due to the red eyes. I'm wondering if they are watching the same show I am. They said that "something" changed Picard to give him the signs of Irumodic Syndrome. Hmm, I wonder what defining event in his life may have altered his brain? When did he hear whispers before like Jack is hearing now? Vadic then went on a long scene chewing excursion around Jack's feeling of isolation being so far out roaming from world to world. She also remarked how fitting it was that Seven stayed behind on the bridge for the big confrontation where Vadic was going to explain everything.

Then there's the fact that every season of Picard so far has involved the Borg. This is also a sendoff to Picard in a show called Picard and I really don't think they are going to make the big reveal at the end some DS9 tie in even if they did involve the changlings. At the beginning of the season Beverly encrypted the SOS using some bullshit Borg codec that we hadn't heard of before that was apparently at play with Best of Both Worlds. We had the Jaws monologue by Captain Shaw around Wolf 359. We had LaForge tell us that starfleet ships basically act like a collective. They are even using the First Contact theme. Honestly, any other reveal at this point than having a Borg connection is going to feel cheap and out of left field. About the only thing I can't quite connect there is Vadic's handler. I don't think that person is a Changling as they mentioned "your species" a few times to Vadic. But all of that is a bit muddled in general because whatever they have planned for founders day seems to be revenge for the changling virus and the torture of changlings, so I'm not sure why there's a third party here as well.

I did have a laugh out loud moment in this episode that I would also think was meta if I thought the writers had any self awareness. Jack pulls the Return of the Jedi gambit and comes to the bridge with a thermal detonator grenade shield generator. Vadic says "do you really think that will kill me?" I paused and turned to my friend and said "That's a VERY good question and one that I don't even think the writers know at this point since killing these changlings seems very inconsistent." The ones chasing Shaw were filled with holes from a phaser and got back up again a few seconds later, but Raffi goes hand to hand with them and kills them dead enough with a sword that they can leisurely disintegrate the bodies after the fight while talking. It sucks any sort of tension out of these encounters when you don't know the rules around what's a fatal blow.

Then Vadic bites it in a hard vacuum even though we know changlings can not only survive in vacuum but travel at warp in space if they mimic the right species. Whatever, I guess she didn't have time to change or something.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

I’m on season 6 of DS9 and I don’t think I’ve seen a mirror universe episode that I haven’t fallen asleep during

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

bull3964 posted:

Interesting the theories that are popping up about Jack's background with one I saw today being pah wraiths due to the red eyes. I'm wondering if they are watching the same show I am. They said that "something" changed Picard to give him the signs of Irumodic Syndrome. Hmm, I wonder what defining event in his life may have altered his brain? When did he hear whispers before like Jack is hearing now? Vadic then went on a long scene chewing excursion around Jack's feeling of isolation being so far out roaming from world to world. She also remarked how fitting it was that Seven stayed behind on the bridge for the big confrontation where Vadic was going to explain everything.

Then there's the fact that every season of Picard so far has involved the Borg. This is also a sendoff to Picard in a show called Picard and I really don't think they are going to make the big reveal at the end some DS9 tie in even if they did involve the changlings. At the beginning of the season Beverly encrypted the SOS using some bullshit Borg codec that we hadn't heard of before that was apparently at play with Best of Both Worlds. We had the Jaws monologue by Captain Shaw around Wolf 359. We had LaForge tell us that starfleet ships basically act like a collective. They are even using the First Contact theme. Honestly, any other reveal at this point than having a Borg connection is going to feel cheap and out of left field. About the only thing I can't quite connect there is Vadic's handler. I don't think that person is a Changling as they mentioned "your species" a few times to Vadic. But all of that is a bit muddled in general because whatever they have planned for founders day seems to be revenge for the changling virus and the torture of changlings, so I'm not sure why there's a third party here as well.

I did have a laugh out loud moment in this episode that I would also think was meta if I thought the writers had any self awareness. Jack pulls the Return of the Jedi gambit and comes to the bridge with a thermal detonator grenade shield generator. Vadic says "do you really think that will kill me?" I paused and turned to my friend and said "That's a VERY good question and one that I don't even think the writers know at this point since killing these changlings seems very inconsistent." The ones chasing Shaw were filled with holes from a phaser and got back up again a few seconds later, but Raffi goes hand to hand with them and kills them dead enough with a sword that they can leisurely disintegrate the bodies after the fight while talking. It sucks any sort of tension out of these encounters when you don't know the rules around what's a fatal blow.

Then Vadic bites it in a hard vacuum even though we know changlings can not only survive in vacuum but travel at warp in space if they mimic the right species. Whatever, I guess she didn't have time to change or something.

Why are you spoiling speculation and why are you posting it in the good Star Trek thread

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Because I got yelled at for not spoiler tagging it before and I'm not venturing into the nu star trek thread.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I mean, that's what the new trek thread is for, I don't want to read about how lovely and dumb Picard is here

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
All the Star Trek threads are high quality due to the people posting in them regardless of the awful content they might be discussing

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
I watched the original Lower Decks last night. drat good episode. RIP Sito Jaxa, I could feel it coming as soon as she came to the observation lounge and it still hurt.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

No Dignity posted:

Why are you spoiling speculation and why are you posting it in the good Star Trek thread

There are no good star trek threads on this forums. Just different flavors of bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

I posted it in the comments but this could easily be spun a different direction and done as a B plot in a Lower Decks ep.

Also, I like Steve's Star Trek (and MacGyver/Batman/Superman) videos quite a bit even if I disagree with him on some fundamental points.