Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Failed Imagineer posted:

Good theme song, but the best thing that series produced was some great Homer lines, e.g.

"Why do you think I took you to all those Police Academy movies? For fun?! Well, I didn't hear anybody laughing!"

or

"Boy, when Marge first told me she was going to the police academy I thought it'd be fun and exciting. You know, like that movie...Spaceballs. Instead it's been painful and disturbing, like that movie Police Academy. "

The best thing that the Police Academy series produced was giving G.W. Bailey a higher profile, because he is an absolute treasure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-F4Gwor1ao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Timby posted:

Police Academy was 1984. It was a contemporary of Ghostbusters and Beverly Hills Cop.

That seems impossible.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Baron von Eevl posted:

I mean yeah, Police Academy is trash. You should watch the sequels to gain an appreciation for the original.

The second is obviously the best one because it has bobcat

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
I loved Police Academy when I was a kid. The guy who made sound effects with his mouth? Hilarious! Squeaky woman getting all tough? Lol! I’m sure if I watched it now I’d think it was absolute trash but as a kid it was terrific.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
i tried rewatching the first one not that long ago, it's surprisingly boring, i knew it wasn't that good but i thought it would be on par with some other lesser comedies of the time

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

therattle posted:

I loved Police Academy when I was a kid. The guy who made sound effects with his mouth? Hilarious! Squeaky woman getting all tough? Lol! I’m sure if I watched it now I’d think it was absolute trash but as a kid it was terrific.

I can totally understand kids liking it, and there’s a lot of silly stuff in it. But it was rated R!

Honest Thief posted:

i tried rewatching the first one not that long ago, it's surprisingly boring, i knew it wasn't that good but i thought it would be on par with some other lesser comedies of the time

Even stuff which has potential to be funny is undercut by badly structured shots and editing.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
i remember watching Police Academy as a kid and falling asleep

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.
I watched all seven Police Academy movies last year. I don't hate the first couple despite them not being good but I can't believe it continued after Citizens On Patrol. The Tony Hawk parts of that one are kinda fun but that's about it. Mission To Moscow is unwatchable.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

FrumpleOrz posted:

I watched all seven Police Academy movies last year. I don't hate the first couple despite them not being good but I can't believe it continued after Citizens On Patrol. The Tony Hawk parts of that one are kinda fun but that's about it. Mission To Moscow is unwatchable.

I mean, I got the DVD set, I’m going to watch them all. But this is a very bad start.

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Gripweed posted:

I mean, I got the DVD set, I’m going to watch them all. But this is a very bad start.

It literally only gets worse from the first one, except for Bobcat's schtick. Good luck.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

therattle posted:

It's a film that is very funny when you're 8 but might not hold up once you reach the urbane age or 12 or older.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

FreudianSlippers posted:

It's a film that is very funny when you're 8 but might not hold up once you reach the urbane age or 12 or older.

Im pretty sure I enjoyed 3 (aged 13)…

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Ah poo poo i can’t believe when someone asked for Easter movies I didn’t think to mention all Mothra movies.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!

Gripweed posted:

I can totally understand kids liking it, and there’s a lot of silly stuff in it. But it was rated R!

Yes, but this was the 1980’s, when cocaine allowed the film industry to be honest about the fact that even children love swears and tiddies.

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
Watched Interstellar again at the BFI on 15/70 IMAX earlier (I also saw it there last January), and this time I was tearing up almost as soon as the opening music started. Such an immersive experience, and probably my favourite Zimmer score. The staff asked the (sold out) audience at the introduction who hadn't seen it, and there were actually a few, including the young teenager sat next to me, what a way to see it for the first time! They've put on a further three showings which are fully booked up - I believe they could put this on monthly and make money on it.

Noticed this time that some of the spaceship interior close ups seemed.. not blurry but not razor sharp? I believe these were filmed in 70mm still so it's not like 35mm being blown up to IMAX size. I didn't dislike it, in fact I can appreciate the filmy look of it.

Oh and this time I was waiting for that imperfect lock moment, to better see how everyone else in the audience reacted to it - but I just ended up jumping myself.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I love that the BFI IMAX does introductions even if it is mostly to tell people not to try and exit at the bottom

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Gripweed posted:

Ah poo poo i can’t believe when someone asked for Easter movies I didn’t think to mention all Mothra movies.

S'all good someone mentioned them

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Police Academy even had a cartoon series

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
So did RoboCop.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Air Skwirl posted:

So did RoboCop.

So did Rambo

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
And Toxic Crusader.

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Gatts posted:

I had a Steve Gutenberg cartoon action figure from this series as a kid. You could squeeze his legs together and his arm would start swinging around.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Madkal posted:

And Toxic Crusader.

Who’s that

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Y'know, looking back, there's no way RoboCop 3 would have been allowed to be made today.

A PG-13 movie aimed towards children, with a story of a corporate-operated city with a corporate-made machine going rogue in an attempt to prevent people being evicted from their homes.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
robocop remake was so pointless

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

TrixRabbi posted:

I didn't even know Duck was a surname. My mom used to go to a doctor named Harry Potter. Years of having a solid, innocuous name ruined in one fell swoop in 1997.

In Norway, Harry is considered to be such a toxic name that not even the success of Harry Potter could change it (the past few years a grand number of zero kids have been named Harry). Over the years the name has become a synonym for tacky or vulgar and it would probably be considered cruel to name someone Harry.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Alan Smithee posted:

robocop remake was so pointless

It was pretty good actually

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

if you're going to troll the class then explain

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
RemakeCop kind of fell apart towards the end but the opening scene is good and the scene where Murphy sees that he is two and a half organs attached to a face is fantastic. The cast is very strong, Michael Keaton is a spectacular dirtbag.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Alhazred posted:

In Norway, Harry is considered to be such a toxic name that not even the success of Harry Potter could change it (the past few years a grand number of zero kids have been named Harry). Over the years the name has become a synonym for tacky or vulgar and it would probably be considered cruel to name someone Harry.

How did that happen?

EDIT: Wow, that link actually has quite the detailed explanation.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

Alhazred posted:

Does this mean that the character Harry Hole from the hit film The Snowman and related book series has a name that's vulgar in both American and Norwegian cultures but for entirely different reasons?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

scandi: "Tacky!"

westerner: "Hole!"

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Flying Zamboni posted:

Does this mean that the character Harry Hole from the hit film The Snowman and related book series has a name that's vulgar in both American and Norwegian cultures but for entirely different reasons?

Incredible

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

Just keep looking at what we're doing, keep watering and ask yourselves first and know 'Are you watering? And are you fertilizing every day?' So when it's time to pop, it'll pop.

Gatts posted:

Air Skwirl posted:

So did RoboCop.

Gatts posted:

So did Rambo

Madkal posted:

And Toxic Crusader.

Plus Aliens was supposed to get a cartoon and did get a toy line aimed at children. People used to be a lot less precious when it came to letting their kids watch R-rated stuff, especially on video, and everyone was better off for it.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I decided for my health to break up my Police Academy watch through with other movies. So I watched Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind. Pretty good.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Grendels Dad posted:

RemakeCop kind of fell apart towards the end but the opening scene is good and the scene where Murphy sees that he is two and a half organs attached to a face is fantastic. The cast is very strong, Michael Keaton is a spectacular dirtbag.

He's no Kurtwood Smith.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Alhazred posted:

He's no Kurtwood Smith.

Few are.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Alan Smithee posted:

if you're going to troll the class then explain

Not trolling :shrug:

Alhazred posted:

He's no Kurtwood Smith.

Keaton isn't playing that role, he's the CEO guy

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!
Remake Robocop was what if Apple made Robocop and I really remember enjoying Keaton’s Steve Jobs.

I should give it another watch some time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Blood Boils posted:

Keaton isn't playing that role, he's the CEO guy

That's no excuse. In the original everyone (except Weller who's going in another direction) is going ham and is gleefully going over the top. Even the medic's are memorable. Meanwhile, I didn' even remember that there was another villain except Keaton before looking it up.