Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
Speaking of Nashville, doing the Preds fans goalie taunt on a local politician owns

https://twitter.com/thetnholler/status/1644012806620979201?s=46&t=2hVb1vPytx9OUpdE0UPz6Q

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Mike_V posted:

The dumbass Blues picked up 2 more points, all but ensuring they're going to end up in the worst possible situation at the end of the season.

I am also nervous about the Red Wings, especially considering how much Pittsburgh doesn't want to win. I do not want this team finishing better than 11th.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

The Dirty Burger posted:

Speaking of Nashville, doing the Preds fans goalie taunt on a local politician owns

https://twitter.com/thetnholler/status/1644012806620979201?s=46&t=2hVb1vPytx9OUpdE0UPz6Q

owns

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

I am also nervous about the Red Wings, especially considering how much Pittsburgh doesn't want to win. I do not want this team finishing better than 11th.

Oh no the Pens want to win. They are trying extremely hard to do so. They just suck.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

https://twitter.com/chesterm222/status/1644222791124938753?s=46&t=ZmcWuigp8va-srUE4rOQ8Q

Amazing

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

ThinkTank posted:

Washington are tanking like absolute champs right now.

Caps just need Philly to win out the rest of the season and... ya know, nevermind.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

This rules and makes me kind of miss the old Canucks/Hawks rivalry. I stopped watching Chicago once they made it very public that they are a poo poo organization of bad people and sex pests though.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Furnaceface posted:

This rules and makes me kind of miss the old Canucks/Hawks rivalry. I stopped watching Chicago once they made it very public that they are a poo poo organization of bad people and sex pests though.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

ThinkTank posted:

:hmmyes:

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Extra awesome because it screws over the Penguins

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

ThinkTank posted:

I didn't realized they'd dropped into the bottom 10. It would be so cool if they got Bedard.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Jamwad Hilder posted:

I didn't realized they'd dropped into the bottom 10. It would be so cool if they got Bedard.

They have the second worst points percentage in the NHL since the beginning of 2023. Only Columbus has been worse.

Bedard or Fantilli would be excellent because they be NHLers immediately. But if they don’t move into the top 2 I suspect they are going to trade the pick for some immediate help. I don’t think management wants to see the team being bad for the rest of Ovechkin’s career and #8 or #9 overall doesn’t do anything for the team for at least a few years.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Lmao, Caps are only skating 17 tonight, Ovi definitely out. Tankin Kings!

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Cartoon Man posted:

Lmao, Caps are only skating 17 tonight, Ovi definitely out. Tankin Kings!

No stop it beat the Panthers thx

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Ginette Reno posted:

No stop it beat the Panthers thx

Backup goalie’s in, they’re not even pretending.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Cartoon Man posted:

Backup goalie’s in, they’re not even pretending.

Whew that was a close one.

Absolute clutch tanking by the Caps.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Mind_Taker posted:

Whew that was a close one.

Absolute clutch tanking by the Caps.

Charlie and the poo poo defense came through in the final minute when it mattered most…proud of my boys!

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I could live with the Caps getting Bedard.

Anyone but Chicago getting him is fine really. But Chicago's gonna get him.

e: Pretty annoying that the Caps are so perfectly doing what the Penguins drat well should have done. If they'd just shut Crosby and Letang down on a pretense of whatever random injury they were carrying and increased Dumo and Carter's minutes even more, they too could and would have been in Bedard territory by now. It's not like they've lit the league on fire even with Sid and Letang.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Apr 9, 2023

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Hell yeah, Caps have leapfrogged Vancouver and they have a game on them too. They’re now in 8th. :toot:

Misanthrope
Jun 10, 2001

QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK
Missing the playoffs by a couple of points and drafting 15th... Can't have much more of a bland season than that, the mediocrity sweet spot.

flames are back baby

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

More like the Crapitals gottem

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

Mind_Taker posted:

They have the second worst points percentage in the NHL since the beginning of 2023. Only Columbus has been worse.

Bedard or Fantilli would be excellent because they be NHLers immediately. But if they don’t move into the top 2 I suspect they are going to trade the pick for some immediate help. I don’t think management wants to see the team being bad for the rest of Ovechkin’s career and #8 or #9 overall doesn’t do anything for the team for at least a few years.

Man I hope not. It's been too long since I cared about a Caps prospect. I mean, Miroshnichenko has potential but he's still a couple years away.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Chad Sexington posted:

Man I hope not. It's been too long since I cared about a Caps prospect. I mean, Miroshnichenko has potential but he's still a couple years away.

It kind of depends what their objectives are.

If they want to give Ovechkin another shot at a Cup they probably need to think about trading the #8 pick unless someone falls. If they are just chasing the goal record and are ok being bad for the rest of Ovechkin’s career then yeah, draft and develop someone at that spot.

Mind_Taker fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Apr 9, 2023

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
This is actually a pretty good draft overall. If the Caps are out of the top 4 but still have a pick in the 6-8 range I'd probably want them to keep it.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

If the Flyers win out and the Caps lose out they tie. Who holds the tiebreaker?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Cartoon Man posted:

If the Flyers win out

Lol

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

The Flyers are prone to doing whatever it takes to hurt themselves the most, it could happen.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

Mind_Taker posted:

It kind of depends what their objectives are.

If they want to give Ovechkin another shot at a Cup they probably need to think about trading the #8 pick unless someone falls. If they are just chasing the goal record and are ok being bad for the rest of Ovechkin’s career then yeah, draft and develop someone at that spot.

I can't see a scenario where they are cup contenders in the next few years. Unless kuzy does coke again and Nicky gets better PEDs.

Like who do you get for a second tier first round pick that really changes the complexion of the team? Too many holes to fill.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Chad Sexington posted:

I can't see a scenario where they are cup contenders in the next few years. Unless kuzy does coke again and Nicky gets better PEDs.

Like who do you get for a second tier first round pick that really changes the complexion of the team? Too many holes to fill.

Of course. I’d prefer they just bargain bin their way to getting Ovie more goals and maybe sneak into a playoff spot the next few years. Try to sign more guys like Strome, TVR, etc. and then let their current prospects get a shot. As you mentioned their current holes are too much to fill. It’s not like they need a second pairing D or some something pretty trivial. They need a 1C and maybe even a 1D depending on Carlson’s play next year.

But we also know the team promised Ovechkin they would attempt to compete every year for the remainder of his career so I could see them trading the pick because it’ll carry value. I do see them being aggressive this offseason in either case.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Any top ten pick this year will be contributing in one or two years. It's completely idiotic to move one of these picks.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

ThinkTank posted:

Any top ten pick this year will be contributing in one or two years. It's completely idiotic to move one of these picks.

I agree with this but I also agree the caps are gonna trade it for a plug n play.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

I guess if they can get a U24 top line playing centre it's worth it but but generally those guys aren't moved and cost a fair bit more than a top ten pick. I'm not sure there are any on the market right now.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Ya it's one thing to hypothetically trade a top pick for a contributing player. It's another entirely to trade it for a player that's also fitting in the cap space they have and is worth giving up that pick.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

ThinkTank posted:

I guess if they can get a U24 top line playing centre it's worth it but but generally those guys aren't moved and cost a fair bit more than a top ten pick. I'm not sure there are any on the market right now.

How long until Elias Pettersson wants out of Vancouver?

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Mind_Taker posted:

A year ago? :v:

I feel like this was the perfect year for Vancouver to stink and get a good pick and they hosed that up so bad. I cant imagine being a fan of them or Calgary right now.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Mind_Taker posted:

This summer sometime. The team has been slow rolling Hughes as captain the past month or so after it seemingly being Pettersson's to lose once Horvat was traded. There have been tons of leaks that suddenly the team "likes how he's responded to getting an A" and they even gave him a microphone to directly address the crowd after the last home game of the year on Saturday. Sounds like they initiated contract discussions with Pettersson and offered him the C if he signed long term and he said "sure, I still want $14M per thanks." I figure there's a strong possibility the team explores moving him this summer if extension talks go sour after July 1st.

As I have long held, this was the strip it down and quick rebuild but thanks to some dipshit yelling BRUCE THERE IT IS back in December 2021 we didn't get that and are now at real risk of falling out of the Bedard lottery entirely. On another note, I am so mad that the Oilers got all the benefits of a lovely draft lottery format and now every other team that has struggled since gets penalized for it while McDavid is dancing around putting up 150pts in the worst market in pro sports.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Pettersson is like the one guy I'd be fine with trading #8 overall for that might be available this summer.

It'd take more than the 8 pick to land Pettersson of course, but Tom Wilson would look great wearing the Vancouver skate logo. Or the V. Or the orca.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Hell, the Canucks might do Pettersson for Wilson straight up.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Oh that's going to happen isn't it. Let's speak it into existence

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AntiDepressor
Jun 3, 2011
They should trade Petey to the Habs for the 1st overall* (2022). Perfect aquilini marketing pitch of a 1st overall but also 1 year ahead for the “retool”.