Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I just finished Shrinking and it was fantastic.

I really like the premium show 30 min format.

The married with children dude was one of my favorite characters too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Anyone else watching the power on amazon? Haven't heard it talked about much but I'm really digging it 4 episodes in.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Chairman Capone posted:

My fiancee started watching Sons of Anarchy, which I really have no interest in but I'll occasionally watch for a minute or two when I'm passing through the living room, and Stephen King of all people showed up in an episode. That's probably the least likely appearance I would have imagined. I will say, that show does have a great cast for recurring and guest appearances. Ron Perlman should have more starring roles (where he's not covered in prosthetic makeup).

Stephen King is a big motorcycle guy

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
He also was a big fan of the show. I remember when King use to be spot on with his recommendations. As a teenager (when there was just BBSs at my disposal) his non-fiction book Danse Macabre I used as a source to find good movies and novels (plus his blurbs like on Clive Barker's Books of Blood). That said lately he is so all over the place with the stuff he recommends that I given up. At least he got The Wire right.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

MarcusSA posted:

I just finished Shrinking and it was fantastic.

I really like the premium show 30 min format.

The married with children dude was one of my favorite characters too.

Personal question that won't apply to most people's enjoyment of the show, but I want to ask for my own Content Warning reasons. How heavy does the show lean on Jason Segal's character being a widower? Because if it's just background and brought up from time to time, that's fine. But if it's the main thrust of the show, I'm gonna skip it, as I won't be able to enjoy it.

I'm interested in the show, but that part of the trailer made me worried. But a brief glance at the episode descriptions seem to mostly focus on the patient's lives, so I thought I'd check.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It’s the main thrust of a lot of the season, yeah, especially at the beginning. I feel like it won’t be going forward, though, and the whole hangout ensemble comedy side is much better than the whole grief/pathos side anyway. But yeah psychiatrist with recently-deceased wife is a big part of it so far.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Escobarbarian posted:

It’s the main thrust of a lot of the season, yeah, especially at the beginning. I feel like it won’t be going forward, though, and the whole hangout ensemble comedy side is much better than the whole grief/pathos side anyway. But yeah psychiatrist with recently-deceased wife is a big part of it so far.

Alright, thank you!

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
His entire arc is dealing with his dead wife, trying to move forward, and its effects on his relationship with his daughter.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
https://twitter.com/FilmUpdates/status/1645460711638802432

https://twitter.com/lohanisgod/status/1645462756877795337

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Another come back story.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

I give zero shits about American Horror Story! Give me Scream Queens, dammit!!!!

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Last season of AHS was good as gently caress, but the show has always oscillated between good and real bad season to season.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Last season of AHS was good as gently caress, but the show has always oscillated between good and real bad season to season.

Correction: American Horror Stories had some bright episodes, but American Horror Story had brilliant premises that poo poo the bed in the end. Not to mention the second half of the season had Kaia Gerber acting terribly. She was better when she was basically replaced with a giant sphere for a head in a non-speaking role.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Cojawfee posted:

His entire arc is dealing with his dead wife, trying to move forward, and its effects on his relationship with his daughter.

Thank you as well, especially for that last bit. I'm sure it's a great show, that I hope others will enjoy, and I appreciate the answers.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler

Pan Dulce posted:

Correction: American Horror Stories had some bright episodes, but American Horror Story had brilliant premises that poo poo the bed in the end. Not to mention the second half of the season had Kaia Gerber acting terribly. She was better when she was basically replaced with a giant sphere for a head in a non-speaking role.

I'm talking about the NYC season, which I thought was strong as hell the entire way through, and I don't think Kaia Gerber is in it.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

I'm talking about the NYC season, which I thought was strong as hell the entire way through, and I don't think Kaia Gerber is in it.

Oh! I completely forgot about that season. I didn't like that one either. It basically felt like Ryan Murphy was producing his sex fantasies on FX's dime. Not to mention the thinly veiled AIDS epidemic metaphor was quite hamfisted.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Escobarbarian posted:

in this vein, I've never noticed how many shows depend on having a deceased sibling or best friend until recently.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Aye Doc posted:

so since nobody has really posted about Lucky Hank since the pilot, I take it the show is not very rad? I had completely forgotten it existed after the pilot until youtube recommended me to watch the full pilot again this morning

It suffers from not really having a plot.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I tried to watch Beef after people started talking about but the opening road rage scene that's the inciting incident for the whole show caused such a visceral reaction in me that I had to stop watching. An effective scene for sure but I don't think I'm currently equipped to watch this show.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
True Lies TV show has the weirdest vibe. Especially when episodes open with this Arcade Shooter type announcer voice giving mission exposition like they're on legends of the hidden temple.

Pan Dulce posted:

Oh! I completely forgot about that season. I didn't like that one either. It basically felt like Ryan Murphy was producing his sex fantasies on FX's dime. Not to mention the thinly veiled AIDS epidemic metaphor was quite hamfisted.

That was one of the "skip" seasons for me, there have been a lot of those lately. Especially with Stories around, what he expands into a whole season or half of one is weird. Murder minorities season wasn't a fun theme.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Khanstant posted:

True Lies TV show has the weirdest vibe. Especially when episodes open with this Arcade Shooter type announcer voice giving mission exposition like they're on legends of the hidden temple.

That was one of the "skip" seasons for me, there have been a lot of those lately. Especially with Stories around, what he expands into a whole season or half of one is weird. Murder minorities season wasn't a fun theme.

I quit AHS during coven but absolutely adored the second season and the first season of Scream Queens (Chad is one of the funniest characters in horror).

Anything in those universes match up to those afterwards?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Was the second season Asylum? If so no idea what the vibes are because it had one big vibe that had me close the ep and skip the entire season.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I hated AHS and quit during or after S3 and never looked back at it or Murphy. I have considered binging some seasons thinking I’d probably be less annoyed at the stupidity and badness I’d it all came at once. But I never have because really I’m done with it and Murphy and I’m ok with that.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler

Shageletic posted:

I quit AHS during coven but absolutely adored the second season and the first season of Scream Queens (Chad is one of the funniest characters in horror).

I thought 1984 was great, pretty consistent all the way through.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Yeah that was the last solid and fun one. There are fun seasons, but there's just so much... Whatever else going on that I'd never bring it up or reccomend to someone not already somewhat into it. And everyone I've known IRL who does watch likewise has a list of good seasons and ones they skipped or hated. Probably one of the most wildly uneven shows I've ever seen, episode to episode, season to season.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Shageletic posted:

Both Roanoke and Cult were showrun by the same guy who did Asylum, and those three are the best seasons IMO.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

The only AHS I remember seeing is Coven, which was campy and fun (if, uh, kind of Racial). I later tried to watch another season (Hotel, I think?), but wrote it off as edgelord poo poo once the demon representing addiction who rapes you with a drill penis shows up.

Shageletic posted:

:cheers: Season 1 of Scream Queens is in my top 5 favorite TV shows ever, and Chad Radwell is a massive part of that.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Feels like there's a consensus on 1984. I'll check it out.

Also gotta catch up on American Crime Story as well. The first one was one of my fav shows that year. I heard the second season was kinda a bummer tho.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Chris Parnell was on Last Week Tonight yesterday and man, he is looking old.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Read After Burning posted:

The only AHS I remember seeing is Coven, which was campy and fun (if, uh, kind of Racial). I later tried to watch another season (Hotel, I think?), but wrote it off as edgelord poo poo once the demon representing addiction who rapes you with a drill penis shows up.

Reference humour sucks, but I laughed pretty hard at Schmigadoon dissing AHS Hotel last week.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

muscles like this! posted:

Chris Parnell was on Last Week Tonight yesterday and man, he is looking old.

They don't let Dr Spaceman have the good drugs anymore

Edit: he's only 56

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

External Organs posted:

They don't let Dr Spaceman have the good drugs anymore

Edit: he's only 56

Maybe he needs the number for Diabetes Repair?

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Humongous Beef spoilers, like don't click this unless you've watched up to ep 8 holy loving poo poo did she just BURN DOWN HIS HOUSE?! I watched that whole scene with my mouth wide open

Also (still Beef spoilers) how old is Paul supposed to be, is he like 17 and this is gross as hell or is he like 20ish and it's still pretty gross but he's at least an adult

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I thought AHS Hotel had some fun parts to it. Evan Peters doing Andrew Ryan from BioShock, the episode about vampires in the silent film era, the ridiculous anti-vax vampire kid plague, and Lady Gaga was pretty good, especially as I think that was her first big acting role. Not as good as Asylum or 1984 but way above the worst seasons.

I thought the recent half season about the vampires on Cape Cod was also mostly pretty good, though didn’t quite stick the landing.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Hawkperson posted:

Also (still Beef spoilers) how old is Paul supposed to be, is he like 17 and this is gross as hell or is he like 20ish and it's still pretty gross but he's at least an adult

He's an adult. The actor's in his late twenties, but his character reads as early to mid twenties; 22 to 25.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Read After Burning posted:

:cheers: Season 1 of Scream Queens is in my top 5 favorite TV shows ever, and Chad Radwell is a massive part of that.

My favorites from Scream Queen are Chanel, Chad, and Denise Hemphill. They friggin' carried the show, but that's not to say the rest of the cast sucked. It's just they were iconic.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

thrawn527 posted:

Granted, that's most of the time. Sometimes they just go overseas and have one of their guys rescue someone or murder someone, because America gently caress yeah and all that.

This reminds me, I gave up on it fairly quickly but my memory of CSI Miami was that David Caruso was basically a tremendously corrupt cop/forensic scientist who would fabricate evidence or coerce confessions but it was treated as a good thing? And there's a whole episode where he goes to Brazil and like... straight up murders a dude....?

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

Pan Dulce posted:

My favorites from Scream Queen are Chanel, Chad, and Denise Hemphill. They friggin' carried the show, but that's not to say the rest of the cast sucked. It's just they were iconic.

We stan Chanel #3 in this house.

"Wow. That was so cool. You're like Kill Bill, or that guy who got his head squished in Game of Thrones. :|"

"There's something I need to confide in you, a secret no one knows. I've never had an orgasm. I didn't even know what there were until recently. I thought they were just moans you did to let the other person know to roll off of you, like an "I'm ready for you to stop" alarm. :|"

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

thrawn527 posted:

Personal question that won't apply to most people's enjoyment of the show, but I want to ask for my own Content Warning reasons. How heavy does the show lean on Jason Segal's character being a widower? Because if it's just background and brought up from time to time, that's fine. But if it's the main thrust of the show, I'm gonna skip it, as I won't be able to enjoy it.

I'm interested in the show, but that part of the trailer made me worried. But a brief glance at the episode descriptions seem to mostly focus on the patient's lives, so I thought I'd check.

As mentioned above, him dealing with his wife’s death is the throughline of the whole season. Honestly, the patient stuff is fairly minimal overall. One of the patients becomes a main character but the others just get scenes here and there. The show definitely quickly becomes a fun neighborhood hangout comedy ala Cougar Town, but it’s still pretty loving heavy. I spent all day Saturday watching it start to finish and I probably had like six different times I was straight up sobbing.

Though weirdly the moment that got me the hardest wasn’t about his wife, but related to Harrison Ford’s story. (Big spoilers) When it’s revealed that he’s attending his grandson’s play, it totally broke me. I don’t know why because I don’t find the circumstances relatable at all, but Bill Lawrence can play me like a fiddle.

But yeah, if the widower stuff is something you’re struggling with, i don’t know if I’d recommend it. It’s a very cathartic show though, and maybe it would be therapeutic to watch. It takes place a full year after she died so really it’s about him picking up the pieces after a prolonged grieving period. I’m actually kind of sad that we don’t see more of his breakdown. The first episode is hysterical (and sad) because nobody plays an unhinged broken man better than Jason Siegel.

I finished Fleishman is in Trouble tonight. Holy hell what a fantastic show start to finish. I was loving floored by the penultimate episode. I am always down for a story that recontextualizes everything near the end, especially when done right. Before that, I was really enjoying the show but it really clicked for me there. The final episode was phenomenal as well, and a fitting end to the story. We need more one season television shows that tell a complete story. Definitely the best way to adapt most books.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

I found Shrinking really cathartic too. Very hopeful show and Jessica Williams loving kills it, she needs to be in way more poo poo.

Holy poo poo I just finished Beef and just wow. The show teeters on the edge of too traumatic for me constantly but just manages to err on the side of "I have a lot to chew on now that I've watched it" instead of "now I'm gonna have nightmares"