Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.

Feels Villeneuve posted:

The Pokemon Company's US HQ is local so we have pokemon vending machines lol

No Lemonade, Soda Pop, or Fresh Water. Terrible vending machine.

I got a sick Bowser Snapback hat the only time I went to the Nintendo store and I still wear it all the time. Never seen anyone else with one so I feel really cool with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Those Nintendo Store pics look underwhelming.

Which is crazy, 'cause the Pokemon stores in Japan are magical. Definitely don't have to care about the franchise to have a good time there.

I forgot how good this was.

"Tornadoes are cool."

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Spellman posted:

Cranky Kong movie when

Only if they replace the VA with Billy Crystal

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

I remember going to the Pokemon Center at Tokyo and getting my Chesnaught/Dragonite Plushies as well as a Mew one for my friend, it was fun and had a lot of stuff but sadly it was before the sitting plushies.

Also missed the PC Kyoto opening because I was a dumb idiot and we were leaving that day, despite my family offering to go take a look. All I got was a Celebi postcard they were gifting.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

In Neon White, is getting a gold as good as an Ace to advance or do Ace medals also unlock a new Neon Level?

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

Manoueverable posted:

As someone who has never been to the New York store, I've always been of the opinion that Nintendo is leaving tons and tons of money on the table when it comes to merch, either because it's bland or doesn't exist beyond their big series. Which is fine because that leaves a solid and necessary niche for folks on Etsy and other platforms to occupy that space, but I would be willing to drop a lot of money on some officially licensed items that may be a bit too intensive for smaller creators.

You know the target displays that have a mario on a flagpole? I want one of those so bad!!

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

Tempura Wizard posted:

I really hope it will have some form of ranked ladder but fully expect it to be completely random matchmaking (no ELO, nothing at all) with no punishment for disconnection whatsoever.

Also it badly needs to have a “play-by-mail” type option for online games but I’m not counting on it.

There was some recent press release which said "play with up to four friends locally or challenge a friend online" and maybe I'm paranoid but that does seem to imply online play doesn't have matchmaking and is limited to 1v1... But maybe I'm just a pessimist

xedo
Nov 7, 2011

OneMoreTime posted:

Keep in mind that a lot of Nintendo’s current “out of character” business decisions all started around 2015 when the Wii U proved to be an huge failure and Iwata started to step back due to his illness. Stuff like Super Mario Run and Nintendo’s current deals with Universal were all announced around that time.

I think it's more specifically related to the decision to stop supporting a separate line of handhelds. They had to do it to provide enough support for the switch, but now they won't have a 3ds to bail out their next wii u. So Legos, movies, theme parks, and I bet the n64 classic console hits the next time their console business bombs.

I expect a donkey Kong movie is in the works. But I think Splatoon is undervalued as a potential movie ip.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!

xedo posted:

But I think Splatoon is undervalued as a potential movie ip.
A subtitled foreign language film is great for the kids!

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
The idea that the wii u "almost sank nintendo" when they were still making and selling the 3ds is real funny.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Feels Villeneuve posted:

how can you pass by that without taking home a wobbuffet

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs

WHY BONER NOW posted:

You know the target displays that have a mario on a flagpole? I want one of those so bad!!

This would be so sick, yeah. All I'm saying is I would pay so much money for an official scale model of the Blue Falcon or Monado, y'all have no idea.

Manoueverable fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Apr 10, 2023

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Kvlt! posted:

ive never played a zelda game should i try botw or just dive in to totk which to my untrained eye looks like botw+extra stuff

If you can find BotW cheap (which, good luck on that) you may want to go for that, or if you really think you'd play both games. If you just want to try one TotK is probably the better option (although we don't really know how it will be quite yet), but both games look to be different enough despite having the same map that it probably doesn't matter which you choose.

Alternatively, there's always the other games, especially if you have Switch Online (or are cool with emulation). Link to the Past (SNES) and Link's Awakening (GB) are both great starting points, and if you have the higher-tier online service, Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask (both N64) and Minish Cap (GBA) are solid as well.

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself

External Organs posted:

Link shouldn't talk and if he does it should be Billy West doing the Fry voice

Chris Pratt should also do Link's voice.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Tempted to get that hungover-rear end looking Snivy as an avatar. :allears:

Palmtree Panic
Jul 28, 2007

He has no style, he has no grace

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

The idea that the wii u "almost sank nintendo" when they were still making and selling the 3ds is real funny.

https://www.avclub.com/year-of-luigi-generates-456-million-loss-for-nintend-1798268368

Never forget the Year of Luigi.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Palmtree Panic posted:

Never forget the Year of Luigi.

Who?

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Read After Burning posted:

Tempted to get that hungover-rear end looking Snivy as an avatar. :allears:

That’s Treeko you FOOL!

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
That's clearly Turtwig.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
I have Doom 1 loaded up for after work; let's do this. :getin:

Kart Barfunkel posted:

That’s Treeko you FOOL!

Ah, poo poo, exposed!!! Turns out it was the OTHER stoned-looking grass reptile starter. :haw:

Mega64 posted:

That's clearly Turtwig.

It's not, because Turtwig is the best grass starter after Bulbasaur. :colbert:

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

I saw the Mario movie. It was more enjoyable than other dumb poo poo I’ve shoveled in my brain.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

Mister Facetious posted:

Whoever the VA was seemed to be trying really hard to do a Larry David impression, to the point where I kind of just want Larry David to do it

All Frogs
Sep 18, 2014

Green Mario.

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

Mister Facetious posted:

Only if they replace the VA with Billy Crystal Mel Brooks

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Mister Facetious posted:

Dead on

Orange Crush Rush posted:

Whoever the VA was seemed to be trying really hard to do a Larry David impression, to the point where I kind of just want Larry David to do it

TV Sitkongms

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

Whoever wrote this is an insufferable dweeb, but the Year of Luigi was dumb. There was only one legitimately good full game about Luigi and wasn’t even on the Wii U.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

BigDumper posted:

Whoever wrote this is an insufferable dweeb, but the Year of Luigi was dumb. There was only one legitimately good full game about Luigi and wasn’t even on the Wii U.

Super Luigi U was good, actually

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

the worst part of super luigi u or whatever is that all speedruns just play as nabbit making it boring as all hell

Also just did another full run of Live-A-Live. God what a incredible game.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Real glad more people got a chance to experience Live-A-Live.

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

Chronojam posted:

Super Luigi U was good, actually

It was good, but it was also glorified DLC for another game

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Really is wild that Live-A-Live has the most SNES rear end sprites in the world, then I went back to play the original again and I forgot that everyone was rendered as these lil 2x2 sprites.

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself

BigDumper posted:

It was good, but it was also glorified DLC for another game

It's better than that game though

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I imagine just from projections they're already working on the sequel to the Mario movie, though I do wonder what else they might do. I feel like Donkey Kong is absolutely set up for a spinoff there.

Otherwise, hard to say what Nintendo property might get an adaptation next. What's popular vs what's got a legacy vs what's movie-friendly is quite the debate to be had, and it seems entirely possible that Nintendo picks whatever property that a studio makes the best pitch for. I also wouldn't be surprised if they're currently exploring multiple options and seeing what studios seem able to gently caress up the least.

I'd say Zelda isn't unlikely, especially with D&D blowing up and showing some clear demand for a good fantasy movie, though Animal Crossing and Splatoon are big sellers and super popular with clear appeal last I checked. And again, I wouldn't rule out a Donkey Kong spinoff. But probably also entirely possible we get a wildcard like Metroid, Kid Icarus or Fire Emblem.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Luigi's Mansion could work as an animated film, kids love screaming and collectible ghosts

All Frogs
Sep 18, 2014

animated Metroid movie directecd by Genndy Tartakovsky is something i want but know i will never get.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
They should do a star fox trilogy

If you want to know what a good f zero movie would be like, watch Speed Racer (2008)

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Khanstant posted:

Luigi's Mansion could work as an animated film, kids love screaming and collectible ghosts

I heard the movie makes Luigi the damsel in distress (they were too afraid to show Mario being weak after what happened with all the Sonic comics). And I hope Luigi gets a decent movie of his own to make up for it.

cirus
Apr 5, 2011
Captain N remake now thanks

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Chronojam posted:

Luigi good, actually

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

WHY BONER NOW posted:

They should do a star fox trilogy