Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you like Alien 3 "Assembly Cut"?
Yes, Alien 3 "Assembly Cut" was tits.
No, Alien and Aliens are the only valid Alien films.
Nah gently caress you Alien 3 sucks in all its forms.
View Results

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

happyhippy posted:

Because there was a head on a table in Alien and a medical scan scene too!

Watch the Prometheus scene again, and then the Kane part in the medbay, and holy poo poo its like watching a kindergarten play version of the other.

I prefer Prometheus too, but the original film is certainly no kindergarten play.

Like, sure, Ash slices open the highly toxic alien - without explicitly double-scanning it first - and nearly blows up the ship. But, however unsatisfying that may be, it’s an excusable plot hole.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charlatan Eschaton
Feb 23, 2018

you can see the hands barely touch the head of cabbage before it gets thrown across the room, why would pinback bring the alien onboard when he knew the ship was not equipped to feed and take care of it

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I originally had Darkstar on my double feature playlist paired up with Alien but thought it was too on the nose.

ruddiger posted:

Alien/Alien 2: On Earth (1980)
Aliens/Demons 2 (1986)
Alien3/The Devils (1971)
Alien: Resurrection/M3GAN (2022)
Prometheus/The Martian (2015)
Alien Covenant/Re-Animator (1985)
Predator/Sorcerer (1977)
Predator 2/Marked For Death (1990)
Predators/Turkey Shoot (1982)
The Predator/Inglorious Bastards (1978)
Prey/Hostiles (2017)
Alien v Predator/Abbot & Costello Meet Frankenstein (1948)
Alien v Predator: Requiem/Dollman v Demonic Toys (1993)

Kinda rethinking the Prometheus/Martian pairing since I kinda already did that with my Ridley Scott Alien Universe watch order, Frankenstein would work really well considering the surtitle of the book.

ruddiger posted:

Preferred Alien universe watching order

Alien
Blade Runner
Blackhawk Down
Prometheus
The Martian
Alien Covenant

ruddiger fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Apr 7, 2023

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
Another Day in the Corps is getting a reprint. Any have insight if it’s worth grabbing?

https://www.gf9games.com/aliens/215/su-100/

space chandeliers
Apr 8, 2008

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I think it's kind of funny that through a series of contextual changes and overall cultural drift, the Lovecraftian read on the Alien and the presumably uncaring universe that created it is seen as comforting and signifying potential and wonder, while the (ambiguously sincere) Biblical imagery that Ridley Scott likes to play with, with the Alien as sort of the ultimate slave / leper and the Engineer as something like a man, is upsetting "forbidden knowledge" that threatens the viewer with irreversible contamination just by knowing about it.

Even the talking point about them being "just wasps" is kind of perfect -- when Ichneumon wasps were (re-)discovered in the 19th century, a number of naturalists had a sort of crisis of faith because their life cycle was so utterly horrifying they couldn't imagine them being the creation of a loving God. (Ichneumon wasps not only parasitize their hosts like the Alien, but in some cases exert a sort of neurochemical mind control that makes the victim protect their young right up to the point where the young eat them.)

So you have this sort of existentialist reversal where the scary wasp stands for the reassuring(!) notion that above is not as below, if God exists at all he is assuredly not a man, and so on -- and then Ridley Scott, joker that he is, comes in and makes a movie about how Jesus and Moses are more horrifying than Cthulhu.

:yeah:

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

ruddiger posted:

I originally had Darkstar on my double feature playlist paired up with Alien but thought it was too on the nose.

How about Outland? Similar vibes to the Alien series in a lot of ways: blue collar workers in space exploited by The Company, and some body horror with freaky drug effects.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

mllaneza posted:

How about Outland? Similar vibes to the Alien series in a lot of ways: blue collar workers in space exploited by The Company, and some body horror with freaky drug effects.

Fun fact: I can’t quite remember the specifics, but the new Alien RPG fit in an Outland reference just for laughs

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

https://i.imgur.com/42sQk1y.gifv

:dance:

As a sidenote, the supposed Alien universe of Ridley Scott films made me curious and I just learned that before Ridley made The Counselor he was heavily involved in adapting Blood Meridian with Bill Monahan as screenwriter. Shame no studios were willing to pick it up, but it seems we might be entering an era where an adaptation could possibly do the story justice given the length of the Avatar sequel and Scorsese's new flick being nearly 4 hours long. Not an ideal cinema experience but I like that big directors are starting to push against the status quo of movie length.

Ridley was still talking about his next Alien movie in late 2020, which I don't think has been officially canceled? I know he initially planned four films (as well as claiming that he could make up to six) and of course, Ridley says a lot of things, but his developing thought process has been interesting. He seems adamant on concluding with the Croissant on LV426 and answering why it was carrying a cargo of eggs (his words, not mine) but also intends to pivot away from the alien (with its evolution being nearly over) and transcend to another story which would be taken over by A.I.s. He also wanted Sigourney to return because "Well, we're heading toward the back end of the first Alien so [using CGI] may be feasible. Ripley's going to be somebody's daughter, obviously. We're coming in from the back end. The time constraints of what's the time between this film, where we leave David going off heading for that colony, I think you're probably two films out from even considering her."

It looks like Ridley is confirmed to be co-producing Hawley's Alien TV show, so maybe he's counting on that to be successful to get the green light for Alien: Awakening? James Cameron has apparently been trying to revive Blomkamp's canceled Alien project as well, though.

You get a Ripley! And you get a Ripley!

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

SUNKOS posted:

He also wanted Sigourney to return because "Well, we're heading toward the back end of the first Alien so [using CGI] may be feasible. Ripley's going to be somebody's daughter, obviously.
Holy poo poo that is the most hackneyed bullshit ever. This belongs on toilet paper.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Outland is dope as hell.

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?

FilthyImp posted:

Holy poo poo that is the most hackneyed bullshit ever. This belongs on toilet paper.

truly a garbage idea

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Xenomrph posted:

Fun fact: I can’t quite remember the specifics, but the new Alien RPG fit in an Outland reference just for laughs

IIRC tge mainbook mentions the station and the drugs imo are very Outland adjacent, and in Destroyer of Worlds the marshals building there is basically the office from Outland and the officers there are named Hyams/etc.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

SUNKOS posted:

As a sidenote, the supposed Alien universe of Ridley Scott films made me curious and I just learned that before Ridley made The Counselor he was heavily involved in adapting Blood Meridian with Bill Monahan as screenwriter. Shame no studios were willing to pick it up, but it seems we might be entering an era where an adaptation could possibly do the story justice given the length of the Avatar sequel and Scorsese's new flick being nearly 4 hours long. Not an ideal cinema experience but I like that big directors are starting to push against the status quo of movie length.

Ridley was still talking about his next Alien movie in late 2020, which I don't think has been officially canceled? I know he initially planned four films (as well as claiming that he could make up to six) and of course, Ridley says a lot of things, but his developing thought process has been interesting. He seems adamant on concluding with the Croissant on LV426 and answering why it was carrying a cargo of eggs (his words, not mine) but also intends to pivot away from the alien (with its evolution being nearly over) and transcend to another story which would be taken over by A.I.s. He also wanted Sigourney to return because "Well, we're heading toward the back end of the first Alien so [using CGI] may be feasible. Ripley's going to be somebody's daughter, obviously. We're coming in from the back end. The time constraints of what's the time between this film, where we leave David going off heading for that colony, I think you're probably two films out from even considering her."

It looks like Ridley is confirmed to be co-producing Hawley's Alien TV show, so maybe he's counting on that to be successful to get the green light for Alien: Awakening? James Cameron has apparently been trying to revive Blomkamp's canceled Alien project as well, though.

OMG Ridley you idiot genius, I love you

I remember him talking about Blood Meridian not happening and the reason was because he was basically like they'd need to invent a new rating for it for how much violence he'd want on screen so no one wanted to do it lol

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

SUNKOS posted:

We're also getting the Fede Alvarez Alien movie, also produced by Scott. If those two projects go well... I think Disney would likely continue following those new threads. Cheaper and easier to market than a revival of the Ripley or David threads. Love to be wrong about the latter though.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

mllaneza posted:

Never heard of it, but after watching the trailer I added it to the top of my watchlist.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYc2GQyrAlw

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Thanks for doing the thing I was too lazy to do!

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

ruddiger posted:

Never heard of it, but after watching the trailer I added it to the top of my watchlist.

It's real good and looks awesome.

Maybe consider Forbidden World/MUTANT to double feature with Resurrection (the cut called MUTANT is a little better because there's some more runtime of the characters joking around and stuff but either is good).

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

ruddiger posted:

Outland is really the only other Alien movie.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

I prefer Prometheus too, but the original film is certainly no kindergarten play.

Like, sure, Ash slices open the highly toxic alien - without explicitly double-scanning it first - and nearly blows up the ship. But, however unsatisfying that may be, it’s an excusable plot hole.
You're comparing the crew of the Prometheus to a malfunctioning robot programmed to fail.

:hmmyes:

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Neo Rasa posted:

It's real good and looks awesome.

Maybe consider Forbidden World/MUTANT to double feature with Resurrection (the cut called MUTANT is a little better because there's some more runtime of the characters joking around and stuff but either is good).

Those are both good, but I want to throw another contender in the ring, Critters 4, with Angela Bassett and Brad Dourif running a proto-firefly crew. I still think M3GAN would work as a double bill since it hits on both hyper capitalism and the mirroring of AI themes with Megan and Call.

I think it was Basebf555 who originally was looking for the double feature pairings, I wish we got more suggestions before columbo goon got obsessed with actors trying to take physical samples from a cgi prop.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

I think it was probably a real prop with some CGI added to show the reaction begin once the tamper seal was broken, something I alluded to previously which was unfortunately misread. The crew made props for the other creatures however such as the hammerpede and even the trilobite which was very impressive work:

The creature designers were influenced by many things, one being a 1975 comic called The Long Tomorrow, written by Dan O'Bannon and illustrated by Moebius while he worked on Jodorowsky's Dune. To be more specific, an alien shapeshifter called an 'Arcturian', previously disguised as a woman, was the inspiration:

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It was practical on set, with some moments used but it got covered with cgi

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Forbidden World is definitely one that I want to throw in at some point this month, that has to be my favorite trashy Alien rip off.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Oh yeah, fun anecdote about Covenant:

When the artists who drew all of David's drawings that were hung up in his menagerie (and were collected for the book "David's Drawings") were first hired, Ridley Scott instructed them to draw the most hosed up stuff they could think of. They asked for clarification on this, and Scott essentially said "No really just the most hosed up stuff, I want it to be nuts". So they started drawing, and then showed it to Ridley Scott who said "okay yeah that's too hosed up, you need to dial it back".

David's Drawings is a great book, it has interviews with the artists where they recount Ridley Scott's " :wtf: "

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

SUNKOS posted:

To be more specific, an alien shapeshifter called an 'Arcturian', previously disguised as a woman, was the inspiration:

I see what James Cameron did there!

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Splicer posted:

You're comparing the crew of the Prometheus to a malfunctioning robot programmed to fail.

:hmmyes:

Ash wasn't malfunctioning or programmed to fail.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Xenomrph posted:

Scott essentially said "No really just the most hosed up stuff, I want it to be nuts". So they started drawing, and then showed it to Ridley Scott who said "okay yeah that's too hosed up, you need to dial it back".

I wonder where the nuts went in the original concept for this :haw:

Seriously though, this offered up so much potential to creep the hell out of those of us with Trypophobia. Cute visual callback, too.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

ruddiger posted:

I think it was Basebf555 who originally was looking for the double feature pairings, I wish we got more suggestions before columbo goon got obsessed with actors trying to take physical samples from a cgi prop.

Outland -> Alien

Chronopolis -> Prometheus

Alien Covenant -> Memories: Episode 1: Magnetic Rose / In Her Thoughts

“CURSED LIST”
AVP -> Moon 44 -> Aliens -> Aliens: Ride At The Speed Of Fright -> Starship Troopers 2: Hero Of The Federation

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Outland -> Alien

Chronopolis -> Prometheus

Alien Covenant -> Memories: Episode 1: Magnetic Rose / In Her Thoughts

“CURSED LIST”
AVP -> Moon 44 -> Aliens -> Aliens: Ride At The Speed Of Fright -> Starship Troopers 2: Hero Of The Federation

hey i found chronopolis with the luc ferrari score btw https://blogthehum.com/2017/06/20/piotr-kamlers-chronopolis-1983-with-its-incredible-soundtrack-composed-by-luc-ferrari/

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
The last dozen or so pages… have not put me off of thinking space wasps and robots powered by cum are pretty neat!

It was close, though!

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

SUNKOS posted:

the trilobite which was very impressive work:

It's nice that the prop/creature design teams recognized the important parts about Giger's legacy: that everything is dicks & pussies.

quote:

akira-rear end influences

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Mister Speaker posted:

akira-rear end influences

Might be misunderstanding you, but The Long Tomorrow was published in Metal Hurlant a little over five years before the first installment of Akira was published in Young Magazine.

Otomo has been pretty open about being heavily influenced by Moebius though, if that's what you were saying. Metal Hurlant became fairly popular in Japan in the 80s and influenced a lot of famous works. Even Hayao Miyazaki's Nausicaa started as essentially fan art for Arzak.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Thank you! I seen Chronopolis like 8 times, but it’s not easy to track down a copy.

On the topic of animation: the Netflix cartoon movie Make My Day is basically Lily-CAT 2. It’s the kind of fan-film where they mash up Aliens with Outland and then name their characters Hicks and Hyams.

If you can stomach the hideously low-budget animation, it’s conceptually solid and probably a better Alien sequel than Aliens. Certainly better than the other Aliens/Outland mashup, Moon 44.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Moon 44 is pretty dope. It's just a shame the third act just turns into boring action sequence drivel.

e:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0WJGo3VtKM

Yeah, I'll watch this. Pretty hideous, but not too much worse than early Clone Wars or whatnot.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Apr 17, 2023

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I can’t stand clone wars either.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Looks less Clone Wars and more Starship Troopers Chronicles

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMJ7S4iwXSc

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

That Roughnecks show was way better than it had any right to be.

Maybe it’s rose-colored glasses because I remember enjoying the hell out of it the last time I watched it. I’ve got it on DVD, I should give it a rewatch.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I watched a few episodes a while back, it's good. A bit goofy, but it definitely holds up, though you can tell there were production issues.

I don't like the idea of AI upscales, but that's one show where it could really help the viewing experience and it wouldn't be possible to get that quality otherwise.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

ruddiger posted:

Looks less Clone Wars and more Starship Troopers Chronicles

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMJ7S4iwXSc

There’s definitely a ton of Starship Troopers (novel) influence in the movie, but thankfully without much fashy stuff.

MMD doesn’t hold up to the standards of “actual movies”, but it’s an enormous success by the standards of Alien fan-films and cheapo DTV ripoffs. Its redeeming qualities are the deliberate pacing, pretty wild concepts, rather good soundtrack, and those left-of-Cameron politics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

I will not be satisfied until we get a proper Starship Troopers that is less Aliens Colonial Marines, and more Armored Gorilla Powersuits being launched as projectiles of destruction from an orbiting vessel which is itself a huge gun, launching these messengers of death and destruction from a double-barreled shotgun that serves as its bow

It’s just one of the greatest visuals ever