Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Nonsense posted:

Taiwanese are pretty much going to throw themselves into the arms of the CPC willingly once the landings begin. What a horrible work culture.

as if china's work culture is any different

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Willa Rogers posted:

CNN carrying the feds' water in trying to ban tiktok.

The city without TikTok offers a window to America’s potential future

Prepare for your tiktok-less futures!

They can't decide what the rationale is for banning a loving app: mental health? Scary Chinese propaganda? Teens being stupid teens online? Who knows except that all of modern society's problems can be placed at the feet of a single social media app, according to the fossils in congress.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

They can't decide what the rationale is for banning a loving app: mental health? Scary Chinese propaganda? Teens being stupid teens online? Who knows except that all of modern society's problems can be placed at the feet of a single social media app, according to the fossils in congress.

Misinformation and misogyny ran rampant on TikTok, with accounts like those of Andrew Tate, the self-styled “alpha male” recently detained in Romania on allegations of human trafficking and rape, gaining popularity among boys at Poon’s school.

“It’s just concerning how [these accounts] have so much impact on the youth, and it has so much grip on what we think and how it affects our behavior,” said Poon – though he added that misinformation is a major problem on all social media platforms, not just TikTok.

Experts have long worried about the impact of TikTok on young people’s mental health, with one study claiming the app may surface potentially harmful content related to suicide and eating disorders to teenagers within minutes of them creating an account.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

"the music man" takes place 100 years ago but moral panic in river city lives on.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Willa Rogers posted:

Misinformation and misogyny ran rampant on TikTok, with accounts like those of Andrew Tate, the self-styled “alpha male” recently detained in Romania on allegations of human trafficking and rape, gaining popularity among boys at Poon’s school.

“It’s just concerning how [these accounts] have so much impact on the youth, and it has so much grip on what we think and how it affects our behavior,” said Poon – though he added that misinformation is a major problem on all social media platforms, not just TikTok.

Experts have long worried about the impact of TikTok on young people’s mental health, with one study claiming the app may surface potentially harmful content related to suicide and eating disorders to teenagers within minutes of them creating an account.

i'm sure this will all be solved once this platform is banned and everyone has moved on to the next one

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
I can’t wait for Joe Biden and the democrats to expend all their political capital banning TikTok. do it

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Willa Rogers posted:

Ah, they've settled on the "think of the children :qq:" argument.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
actually the funnier thing is that it’s like an even worse, far more evil, version of the patriot act. like patriot act^3 but this time written by democrats

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
Joe bidens lasting legacy is giving the TSA power to take everyone’s phones, force them to hand over all the data at gunpoint, and harass brown immigrants and trans people, and make customs a living hell far worse than they ever could before

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Willa Rogers posted:

All of these guys are also on youtube as their main platform and have much higher viewership there because youtube as a whole has a much larger user base than tiktok

but that's already owned by a fully compromised and fully american company so i guess nothing is to be done

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
american social media companies steal your data and ruin your children's self esteem like this, but chinese social media companies steal your data and ruin your children's self esteem like this

its pretty obvious folks, the perfidious tiktok must go

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

actionjackson posted:

What nation is the greatest threat to the world?

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Mr Hootington posted:

What nation is the greatest threat to the world?

The Fire Nation!

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

This is literally a black mirror episode

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

actionjackson posted:

No, don't worry, the country that brought us 9-9-6 will definitely cut work hours. Luxury Gay Space Communism will obviously be achieved by letting businesses exploit everyone as long as they don't argue with Xi.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

whats with posting a weird zero engagement contentless tweet from a nobody "influencer" linking to some "Women's Wear Daily" website? And also, why does Amy Klobuchar follow this guy?

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Vox Nihili posted:

whats with posting a weird zero engagement contentless tweet from a nobody "influencer" linking to some "Women's Wear Daily" website? And also, why does Amy Klobuchar follow this guy?

oh i see you aren't familiar with BAPBC's posting

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
megathread crossover event

https://twitter.com/MarcusGreenWDRB/status/1645506859674095623

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
the infinite scroll on social media should be banned

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

ehhhhhhhhh no comment

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Koirhor posted:

ehhhhhhhhh no comment

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

ugh what a drat shame

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

RealityWarCriminal posted:

the infinite scroll on social media should be banned

Yeah, I think there was some uniquely insidious poo poo about the way TikTok weaponizes the endless scroll algorithm, but lol at every reason the media/gov gives for why it has to go, as if every single complaint isn't something also being done by every major American company with any kind of digital footprint. Even the endless TikTok scroll algorithm is being replicated by other platforms as best as they can manage it. This whole thing is just a bad paint job to cover up some truly deranged dying empire surveillance state poo poo to get out ahead of coming unrest and social collapse.

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
i mean i know its just the rage of the moment with tiktok but i havent really seen anything on tiktok that wasnt already happening before tiktok

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

Koirhor posted:

ehhhhhhhhh no comment

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

at least it makes sense why Beshear threw up his hands in anguish knowing there was nothing he Would do to prevent this from happening again.

Joey Steel
Jul 24, 2019

Koirhor posted:

ehhhhhhhhh no comment

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

quote:

In the second quarter of 2022, TikTok users globally spent an average of 95 minutes per day on the app, according to data analytics firm SensorTower – nearly twice as much time as users spent on Facebook and Instagram.
Imagine writing this and still thinking the TikTok ban is about security concerns

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

forkboy84 posted:

The Fall and Rise of French Sea Power by Hugues Canuel, I think

Ty ty!

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

shooter was a bank employee

articles about the shooting helpfully include two photos of him that allow you to calibrate or recalibrate your emotions accordingly

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Vox Nihili posted:

shooter was a bank employee

articles about the shooting helpfully include two photos of him that allow you to calibrate or recalibrate your emotions accordingly

https://twitter.com/zackfox/status/1036389932854652928

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

Also proficient with kites

gradenko_2000 posted:

Imagine writing this and still thinking the TikTok ban is about security concerns

I wonder if the the majority of tiktok users fall in that 1-2 hour a day mark or it's like an alcohol thing where the 1-2 a day is the average of an incredibly skewed "most have like 0-2 a week, but some have like 12 a day" situation.

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007

Koirhor posted:

ehhhhhhhhh no comment

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

PoundSand posted:

I wonder if the the majority of tiktok users fall in that 1-2 hour a day mark or it's like an alcohol thing where the 1-2 a day is the average of an incredibly skewed "most have like 0-2 a week, but some have like 12 a day" situation.

It's definitely the latter. Funny enough, I can believe that the most heaviest consumers of Tiktok are the creators themselves since they always are watching for the next trend so they can hop on it and make a video of it

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

nexous posted:

“look at the black boy run” -my grandma watching football one thanksgiving

would love to have that on repeat for eternity

you can have her talk to my grandma and they can recreate this video, but with racism

https://youtu.be/t-7mQhSZRgM

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

PoundSand posted:

probably the later, addiction takes many forms

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

this makes this tweet make way more sense. no way this dude knew a regular pleb who used a regular bank
https://twitter.com/VICENews/status/1645453657092046853

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
I thought we weren't supposed to be posting heartwarming stories in here

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

Paradoxish posted:

every single company the media has spent the last two decades hyping is just scam trash all the way down and it's loving hilarious

:hai: