Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

A Bakers Cousin posted:

i mean i know its just the rage of the moment with tiktok but i havent really seen anything on tiktok that wasnt already happening before tiktok

No access for u.s. intelligence agencies.

That's it: the reason the u.s. wants it banned or bought out by a compliant american company.

eta:

gradenko_2000 posted:

Imagine writing this and still thinking the TikTok ban is about security concerns

oh yah: also capitalism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

RealityWarCriminal posted:

the infinite scroll on social media should be banned

it has no use outside of social media though.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

why not sink the ship to put the fire out

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7h3Zx4bV0RE

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
https://twitter.com/Dinosn/status/1644927431185248256?t=ni249i6YIdyOLCIAl7jnDw&s=19

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Raskolnikov38 posted:

why not sink the ship to put the fire out

sometimes they do accidentally.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Akratic Method posted:

No, don't worry, the country that brought us 9-9-6 will definitely cut work hours. Luxury Gay Space Communism will obviously be achieved by letting businesses exploit everyone as long as they don't argue with Xi.

wikipedia tells me china is even higher than taiwan. japan is slightly lower than the US, which was unexpected given how much I hear about their insane work culture.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

actionjackson posted:

wikipedia tells me china is even higher than taiwan.

there is no way that Greece number is accurate

e: or malta

Raskolnikov38 has issued a correction as of 23:56 on Apr 10, 2023

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Vox Nihili posted:

whats with posting a weird zero engagement contentless tweet from a nobody "influencer" linking to some "Women's Wear Daily" website? And also, why does Amy Klobuchar follow this guy?

BAPBC posts the insane bot generated content they find as they plumb the depths of social media. The majority of it is some pretty heinous levels of capitalist depravity. Once you figure out what they are trying to get at it makes sense.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

RealityWarCriminal posted:

the infinite scroll on social media should be banned

there was a guy who first introduced it to social media who was at FB at the time, and now says he regrets it lol

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/i-m-so-sorry-says-inventor-of-endless-online-scrolling-9lrv59mdk

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Raskolnikov38 posted:

there is no way that Greece number is accurate

e: or malta

it seems to be backed up by the OECD table further down. this was pre-covid of course

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_average_annual_labor_hours

source is https://stats.oecd.org/Index.aspx?DataSetCode=ANHRS

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

I could crack so many jokes about this, from greedy geezers to my next career move to a bank robber who's named Bonnie but this is elder protective services territory & actually pretty sad:

quote:

A 78-year-old woman is accused of robbing a Missouri bank. But it wasn’t her first time

Pleasant Hill police received an unusual call Wednesday afternoon: The Goppert Financial Bank at 2100 N. Highway 7 had been robbed by an elderly woman. Witnesses said the suspect — dressed all in gray, with plastic gloves, a black N95 mask and black sunglasses — approached the counter and passed the teller a note, which, according to documents filed in Cass County Circuit Court, read in part: “... is a robbery I need 13,000 small bills … thank you sorry I didn’t mean to scare you.”

Surveillance video captured her banging on the counter, asking the teller to hurry and give her the money, Cass County prosecutors claim

The woman allegedly advised the teller not to count the money and “just give it to her.” After she was given the money, the suspect, later identified by police as 78-year-old Bonnie Gooch, was seen leaving in a Buick Enclave with its handicap registration number on display. Prosecutors say the vehicle pulled out of the bank and onto southbound Highway 7.

Officers were then able to locate Gooch and stopped her vehicle in the Pleasant Hill Animal Clinic parking lot. The suspect smelled strongly of alcohol, prosecutors claim, and police found a large amount of cash in small bills on the floorboard.

Police arrested Gooch. Thursday, she was charged with one count of stealing or attempting to steal from a financial institution. She remains in Cass County Jail, with her bail set at $25,000.

But the recent arrest and charge is not Gooch’s first. According to court records, the woman has at least two other bank robbery convictions. Her first conviction came out of California in 1977, and more recently, the robbery of a Lee’s Summit bank in 2020.

https://www.kansascity.com/news/local/crime/article274092005.html

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

she's a gangster, tho

quote:

“When officers first approached her, they were kind of confused ... It’s a little old lady who steps out,” he said. “We weren’t sure initially that we had the right person.”

Wright said their suspicions were confirmed when the wads of cash were found in her vehicle. He added that the woman appeared intoxicated and was “very stern” with officers. Tellers were fearful of her, he said, though no gun was presented.

Willa Rogers has issued a correction as of 00:03 on Apr 11, 2023

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Willa Rogers posted:

I could crack so many jokes about this, from greedy geezers to my next career move to a bank robber who's named Bonnie but this is elder protective services territory & actually pretty sad:

https://www.kansascity.com/news/local/crime/article274092005.html

Isn't Pleasant Hill where John Dolan is from? Maybe he knew her?

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Willa Rogers posted:

No access for u.s. intelligence agencies.

That's it: the reason the u.s. wants it banned or bought out by a compliant american company.

eta:

oh yah: also capitalism.

google, microsoft, apple, etc. give intelligence and law enforcement access to china and other countries and even censor content. why shouldn't tik tok be treated like every other social media company?

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

ArmZ posted:

google, microsoft, apple, etc. give intelligence and law enforcement access to china and other countries and even censor content. why shouldn't tik tok be treated like every other social media company?

you're right we should ban all of it

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

genericnick posted:

Isn't Pleasant Hill where John Dolan is from? Maybe he knew her?

They're about the same age and Bonnie Gooch does sound like an Okie name.

IDK maybe they went to high school together, crop dusting her in the stank of adolescent John Dolan.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

JamesKPolk posted:

you're right we should ban all of it

:hmmyes:

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007
local economy news, my area is raising property taxes another 2% and sales taxes by 3%. total budget is at 300 million. the police budget alone makes up around 25%...

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

RadiRoot posted:

local economy news, my area is raising property taxes another 2% and sales taxes by 3%. total budget is at 300 million. the police budget alone makes up around 25%...

its a small price to pay for safety

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
:lol: I know cryptobros aren't exactly the sharpest tools in the shed but what the gently caress do they think BlackRock has been doing for the past three and half years, minus the whole "clean energy" alibi?

https://twitter.com/TradeCoinD2/status/1645068086184226816?t=yCO-2TVIoO_ULdx_drhvIg&s=19

BornAPoorBlkChild has issued a correction as of 00:23 on Apr 11, 2023

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

https://twitter.com/ruaaup/status/1645224261097779201

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

A bunch of low tier state schools went on strike the last week in Illinois including the one my spouse is getting her teaching masters at. It's a total disaster since most of the work is remote and the admin said they'll teach the class, but the quizzes and stuff aren't "opened" to be completed. So who knows how the gently caress shell get credit for all this

I told her to strike in solidarity but she doesn't want to risk bad grades. The saddest poo poo is the people who drive an hour and a half through heavy traffic, sign a sheet that they're attending, then drive home.

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

goldmine

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

whoa

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

Al! posted:

its a small price to pay for safety

haha feeling very safe. some 10 year old was a bystander in another drive by shooting the other day on the road i use to go to work no less. the police will get to the bottom of the gang violence any day im sure.

poo poo is making me extremely depressed. house prices here haven't lowered for poo poo, and now property tax is going up? gently caress this.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

faculty have unions? is that just non tenured?

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

RadiRoot posted:

haha feeling very safe. some 10 year old was a bystander in another drive by shooting the other day on the road i use to go to work no less. the police will get to the bottom of the gang violence any day im sure.

well what else do you expect when the cops make so little

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

seen this reaction a bunch already today and I'm disappointed we're not getting people cracking on Twitter like we were when all the tech bros realized that America as a whole was totally fine with them crashing and burning

guess bank people are still smart enough to realize that the average person doesn't care what happens to them

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

there must have been a time when the cops weren't like the most expensive single item on every single city's budget right?????

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Paradoxish posted:

seen this reaction a bunch already today and I'm disappointed we're not getting people cracking on Twitter like we were when all the tech bros realized that America as a whole was totally fine with them crashing and burning

guess bank people are still smart enough to realize that the average person doesn't care what happens to them

not even those guys like bank executives. nobody likes bank executives

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Paradoxish posted:

everyone loving hates them but the issue is those names aren't memorable unlike the startup weenies who love bragging about how genius they are

it's easier to hate someone who's been smug as gently caress for years online

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

Al! posted:

well what else do you expect when the cops make so little

average pay is $83,000 plus all the benefits you could ask for. seems good to me. is the police academy expensive? sign me up.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
sad that the guy felt suicidal but at least he took a few of the bastards down with him

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Delta-Wye posted:

musk is cleverly leaking stories of teslas spying on people to make sure the government subsidizes his domestic spy company

I wouldn't be surprised.

Can we look at giving free Teslas with spy-on-you-now technology to targets of interest, either for free or at heavily discounted rates?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

They can't decide what the rationale is for banning a loving app: mental health? Scary Chinese propaganda? Teens being stupid teens online? Who knows except that all of modern society's problems can be placed at the feet of a single social media app, according to the fossils in congress.

Me, a fossil, wearing a faded 3 piece suit to a dinner party:

Personally I blame all this degeneracy on those unruly kids badly influenced by their denim pants and rock music lyrics. Why can't they wear proper pressed trousers, nice frocks and listen to classical piano?

(everyone in the room nods over their royal doulton tea cups)

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

DancingShade posted:

Me, a fossil, wearing a faded 3 piece suit to a dinner party:

Personally I blame all this degeneracy on those unruly kids badly influenced by their denim pants and rock music lyrics. Why can't they wear proper pressed trousers, nice frocks and listen to classical piano?

(everyone in the room nods over their royal doulton tea cups)

Royal Doulton, you say?

But yeah...a generation before this, it was jazz. A generation or so before that, it was ragtime.

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007
golly gosh I sure can’t wait for TikTok to go away. a very important priority. they are taking data! :gonk::gonk::gonk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maed
Aug 23, 2006

RadiRoot posted:

average pay is $83,000 plus all the benefits you could ask for. seems good to me. is the police academy expensive? sign me up.

expensive? you get paid to go to the police academy lol