Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

For sure, not sure I would have bought the 2015 G1 if they hadn't launched World and we had to pay uStream prices

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

free jiwan

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

:allears: :allears: :allears:
What was up with Backlund's Mid 90's WWF Championship win, like as I kid I knew he was an old schooler wrestler, I don't know his history, I'll read Wiki page, I just wanna kind of hear the reasons beforehand before I read up on his career. I just got my childhood nightmares back after the Backlund enclosed pool area thread [ https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3977479 ] and saw this image :(

I still love the guy. click the link above for Backlund being loving cool

E: like his wiki stuff:

PWI: wrestler of the year 81/83
WoN Worst Wrestler 82

was this just early PWI vs WoN type garbage? or did his 82 suck

Hirez fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Apr 11, 2023

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Hirez posted:

What was up with Backlund's Mid 90's WWF Championship win, like as I kid I knew he was an old schooler wrestler, I don't know his history, I'll read Wiki page, I just wanna kind of hear the reasons beforehand before I read up on his career. I just got my childhood nightmares back after the Backlund enclosed pool area thread [ https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3977479 ] and saw this image :(

At least with the 90's title run, I recall reading that Vince wanted his own George Foreman moment who became the world heavyweight boxing champ in his mid-40's.

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

:allears: :allears: :allears:
hah I was thinking "I wonder if the Foreman win around that time" but just didn't wanna go blabbing.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

Hirez posted:

WoN Worst Wrestler 82

As far as I understand it, it's that PWI follows kayfabe and the Observer gets a bunch of wrestling turbofans to write in, and Backlund's reign was impressive on paper but got really old. He was a generic athletic good guy for most of his title reign, and he didn't stop being that until he turned into a lunatic in 1994. Like, he also won Most Overrated of '83 in the WoN awards.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Hirez posted:

I still love the guy. click the link above for Backlund being loving cool

WoN Worst Wrestler 82

They wanted to get the belt off Bret and onto Diesel without doing a face vs face match and Backlund was someone disposable they could have beat Bret and then lose to Diesel. He was pretty boring by the 90s and his matches with Bret really stink.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Thing I found interesting with Backlund's comeback was his Royal Rumble 1993 run. Flair had famously done that hour-long win at #3 the year prior, but with the 1993 Rumble, Flair had his foot out the door. He was literally a day away from losing his Loser Leaves match with Mr. Perfect on Raw. So they started the Rumble with Flair at #1 and Backlund at #2 just so they could have Backlund not only outlast Flair, but break his record before Flair was even out of the company. Backlund actually got a really big ovation after making it to 3rd place, but he got the Ziggler treatment by having no follow-up. Now that he had done his job and overshadowed Flair, he was back to the midcard, losing to Razor in a short, forgettable WrestleMania match.

MD2020
May 30, 2003

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
If Bob Backlund doesn't get "crazy old man who snapped" over on his own, then Charles Wright might be forced to wear voodoo make up for the rest of his career, and then Cynthia Lynch never has a 15-second reign as Hardcore Champion.

Think about it.

Hancock
Jan 8, 2020

Gavok posted:

Thing I found interesting with Backlund's comeback was his Royal Rumble 1993 run. Flair had famously done that hour-long win at #3 the year prior, but with the 1993 Rumble, Flair had his foot out the door. He was literally a day away from losing his Loser Leaves match with Mr. Perfect on Raw. So they started the Rumble with Flair at #1 and Backlund at #2 just so they could have Backlund not only outlast Flair, but break his record before Flair was even out of the company. Backlund actually got a really big ovation after making it to 3rd place, but he got the Ziggler treatment by having no follow-up. Now that he had done his job and overshadowed Flair, he was back to the midcard, losing to Razor in a short, forgettable WrestleMania match.

1993 Rumble was weird AF. I can't recall if they were all in there at the same time but at various stages in the early going you had Flair (NWA/JCP), Backlund (WWWF), Lawler (Memphis), Hennig (AWA), Tenryu(!) (AJPW) and DiBiase (Mid South) all crossing paths. 80s territory mash-up!

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I still have nostalgia moments for eating pizza hut and watching a rented VHS of the 1993 Royal Rumble and cheering Bob Backlund the whole way.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I remember seeing Bret vs. Backlund as a kid and being very confused. I didn't understand who Backlund was, or why the chickenwing was being sold like crazy. Didn't really care for it.

My understanding is that Backlund's gimmick from the territories and WWWF was "clean cut" but crazily intense. In WWF he flopped with the smarks because he was too boring, and later they put more of the intense craziness into his boring All American character.

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins

Hancock posted:

1993 Rumble was weird AF. I can't recall if they were all in there at the same time but at various stages in the early going you had Flair (NWA/JCP), Backlund (WWWF), Lawler (Memphis), Hennig (AWA), Tenryu(!) (AJPW) and DiBiase (Mid South) all crossing paths. 80s territory mash-up!
1996 was incredibly weird too. Takao Omori (AJPW), Doug Gilbert (USWA), and The Headhunters as "The Squat Team" had been all over the place in WWC, W*ING, UWA, ECW, CMLL, etc. But I don't think any of them got any actual build, they just sort of appeared.

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル
Lotta Mr. Bob Backlund haters that probably ate some marijuana here...

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Why do wrestlers point at the palm of their hand?

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル

Pope Corky the IX posted:

This is where the power lies!

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

i saw bob backlund outside a pizza place in brooklyn once, i think he was selling autographs and books

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

https://youtu.be/CEfGgVI6l2A

Never forget

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

which wrestlers do you mean?

The Motor City Machine Guns do it, because Michigan looks a bit like a mitten, so you could point to your hand and someone familiar with the geography of Michigan would know approximately where you're talking about. In the case of MCMG, they are referring to the approximate location of Detroit.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Defenestrategy posted:

which wrestlers do you mean?

The Motor City Machine Guns do it, because Michigan looks a bit like a mitten, so you could point to your hand and someone familiar with the geography of Michigan would know approximately where you're talking about. In the case of MCMG, they are referring to the approximate location of Detroit.

Quick question about the MCMG's was it ever the Murder City Machine Guns or was that just an announcer I had misheard back in the day and it stuck?

ARMBAR A COP
Nov 24, 2007

LionYeti posted:

Quick question about the MCMG's was it ever the Murder City Machine Guns or was that just an announcer I had misheard back in the day and it stuck?

I still refer to them as Murder City so I'm sure they went by that for a bit

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

LionYeti posted:

they were the Murder City Machine Guns in 2007 for 4 episodes of TNA Xplosion and 1 ROH show before switching to the Motor City Machine Guns

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

The era of tna with the Machine Guns, Beer Money, LAX and other teams I’m forgetting ruled, for the record.

Edit: I just remember the Rock ‘n Rave Connection. And when the New Age Outlaws were managed by a voodoo zombie lady or something, that was neat.

Sandman from ECW fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Apr 12, 2023

Germansimp
May 28, 2013

Sandman McMahon posted:

The era of tna with the Machine Guns, Beer Money, LAX and other teams I’m forgetting ruled, for the record.

Edit: I just remember the Rock ‘n Rave Connection. And when the New Age Outlaws were managed by a voodoo zombie lady or something, that was neat.

The Voodoo Kin Mafia, because VKM, and because they were 'shooting' on Paul Levesque and Michael Hickenbottom.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
HICKENBOTTOM

LEVESQUE

HIGH NOON

AT THE ALAMO

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

HICKENBOTTOM

LEVESQUE

HIGH NOON

AT THE ALAMO

i read this in the cody rhodes theme song

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Alaois posted:

they were the Murder City Machine Guns in 2007 for 4 episodes of TNA Xplosion and 1 ROH show before switching to the Motor City Machine Guns

Was it really just 1 ROH show? In my memory they were Murder City Machine Guns on the indies for a year, including ROH. Maybe it was just PWG?

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

forkboy84 posted:

Was it really just 1 ROH show? In my memory they were Murder City Machine Guns on the indies for a year, including ROH. Maybe it was just PWG?

According to Cagematch the only indy they worked as the Murder City Machine Guns was AAW

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

Answers Me posted:

Where do people rank Nakamura in relation to the other god-tier wrestlers of modern New Japan like Okada and Tanahashi? He was long gone by the time I started paying attention so I only really know him from the History of CHAOS recap on YouTube and the odd WWE clip.

I would rank King of Strong Style Nakamura higher than Okada and Tanahashi, actually. His charisma is off the charts and he wrestles pretty much my ideal style of wrestling.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
Here's something I've been thinking about with the waning heat on both Wardlow and Hobbs, in the modern era (I'm defining modern as post WCW collapse or Inokiism in Japan) has there been a big man or giant that's been a star or face of the company type outside of WWE?

It just seems like big men are nothing but special attractions nowadays.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

fez_machine posted:

Here's something I've been thinking about with the waning heat on both Wardlow and Hobbs, in the modern era (I'm defining modern as post WCW collapse or Inokiism in Japan) has there been a big man or giant that's been a star or face of the company type outside of WWE?

Does Abyss count? He was always treated as a big deal in TNA.

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

He's not a giant, but long time All Japan ace SUWAMA is 6'2 and 120kg, which is a fair bit larger than the average Japanese person

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

SG Bamboo posted:

He's not a giant, but long time All Japan ace SUWAMA is 6'2 and 120kg, which is a fair bit larger than the average Japanese person

Okada's like 6 foot 4 isn't he?

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
For me the key to big man/giant wrestlers is their aura of power and strength.

If they have a lot of feat of strength spots or it's a feat of strength to lift them, they are either a big man or giant. So Okada doesn't count he's just the kind of super sized, turn your head in an airport, that wrestlers of all types tend to be.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

fez_machine posted:

It's not really a company, but Matanza Cueto was LU champion and the focus of season 2. He's not tall, but especially compared to the luchadors, I think he counts as a big man.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Nehru the Damaja posted:

It's not really a company, but Matanza Cueto was LU champion and the focus of season 2. He's not tall, but especially compared to the luchadors, I think he counts as a big man.

Jeff Cobb is absolutely a big man

Big men don't have to be tall they have to be powerful, muscle guys (think BEEF). Man mountains. Giants have to be tall.

The edge case is people like Claudio who aren't thick but very stronk

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

People are more interested in sick flips nowadays

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Yuji Hino is under six foot tall.

He's also, simultaneously, the size of Mt. Kilimanjaro.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
poo poo I forgot Samoa Joe, that's a classic big man two companies built themselves around for awhile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Since you mention Wardlow and Hobbs I feel Alex Hammerstone should probably count even though he is a little shorter than either of those two

Also I absolutely think Hobbs is going to be a big deal someday. I mean Wardlow kind of was already and it still makes no sense how that went