Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
Egypt secretly planned to supply rockets to Russia, leaked U.S. document says

President Abdel Fatah El-Sisi in February planned to produce 40,000 rockets for Russia and instructed officials to keep production and shipment secret ‘to avoid problems with the West’

U.S. doubts Ukraine counteroffensive will yield big gains, leaked document says

Ukraine’s challenges in massing troops, ammunition and equipment could cause its military to fall “well short” of Kyiv’s original goals for an anticipated counteroffensive aimed at retaking Russian-occupied areas this spring, according to U.S. intelligence assessments contained in a growing leak of classified documents revealing Washington’s misgivings about the state of the war.

OctaMurk has issued a correction as of 00:40 on Apr 11, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

OctaMurk posted:

Egypt secretly planned to supply rockets to Russia, leaked U.S. document says

President Abdel Fatah El-Sisi in February planned to produce 40,000 rockets for Russia and instructed officials to keep production and shipment secret ‘to avoid problems with the West’

U.S. doubts Ukraine counteroffensive will yield big gains, leaked document says

Ukraine’s challenges in massing troops, ammunition and equipment could cause its military to fall “well short” of Kyiv’s original goals for an anticipated counteroffensive aimed at retaking Russian-occupied areas this spring, according to U.S. intelligence assessments contained in a growing leak of classified documents revealing Washington’s misgivings about the state of the war.

"well short" is code for "we're even out of shovels at this point"

dk2m
May 6, 2009

genericnick posted:

Good post and certainly an important pathway. I guess there's also the surplus recycling mechanism of allowing comprador elites to park their loot in high return paper assets in the imperial core, which obviously breaks down if you cut off a country from the international banking system.

One of the main reasons why western banking institutions have US state blessing to use tax avoidance centers like Panama and banks like Credit Suisse/Deutsche Bank/CityBank have huge percentages of criminal capital is actually because our banking system rely on it. Criminals are highly liquid since they can’t invest their money into visible property, so they need an invisibly way to store their money. We figured out in the 60s that we could benefit from this by allowing criminals and other high liquid individuals to indirectly invest in US Treasury Bonds, propping up the dollar and giving us the means to fund our domestic programs, by letting them park their money in places like the Bahamas or the British Virgin Islands.

Contrary to what politicians say, this is actually a very integral and important part of our economic system. We not only have leverage over these individuals, but we make sure we encourage all criminal capital to convert their money from their local currency to USD as a safe investment, indirectly also causing the balance sheets of each offshore financial center to secure their liability (the criminal actually storing their capital there) against US T bills.

This was heavily encouraged after 1991 in post-Soviet states. Both Russia and Ukraine privatized their state infrastructure and sold it to individuals for pennies on the dollar. The governments were largely naive, and the non-experienced former communists believed that market efficiencies simply meant having privatization, not realizing that the west would indirectly have leverage over their states as the people we now call oligarchs needed a safe place to store their paper returns. They largely used OFCs, and converted their wealth from their local currency and parked it in dollars offshore. However, they became too bold and started potentially talking of selling stakes and ownership to western financiers and investment banks, which causes Putin to crack down on them, the most prolific being Kadorkovsky.

However, Putin for whatever reason encouraged the use of storing wealth overseas in dollars. He himself is terminally neoliberal, being a protege of Yeltsin, so it’s quite possible he himself didn’t really understand that this caused Russias stagnation by allowing the Americans to siphon away the wealth of their country and its productive capacity to be reinvested.

In Ukraine, it was the same story. Zelensky and his inner circle is represented in the Panama Papers in order to take advantage of this.

https://www.occrp.org/en/the-pandora-papers/pandora-papers-reveal-offshore-holdings-of-ukrainian-president-and-his-inner-circle

quote:

Actor Volodymyr Zelensky stormed to the Ukrainian presidency in 2019 on a wave of public anger against the country’s political class, including previous leaders who used secret companies to stash their wealth overseas.

Now, leaked documents prove that Zelensky and his inner circle have had their own network of offshore companies. Two belonging to the president’s partners were used to buy expensive property in London.

The revelations come from documents in the Pandora Papers, millions of files from 14 offshore service providers leaked to the International Consortium of Investigative Journalists and shared with partners around the world including OCCRP.

This is not at all surprising. But now, with the US sanctioning high net worth Russian criminals and oligarchs - the use of dollar bases OFCs actually doesn’t make much sense anymore. Inadvertantly, we’ve forced a type of mutual agreement between the oligarchs and the government, since their fate is now aligned. Putin famously turned a blind eye to their pillaging of Russia as long as they didn’t meddle with politics, but sanctions are doing what Russia couldnt muster on its own to clean up its act.

I don’t really know if they’ll be able to make it work - however, if they start socializing again by having the state become centralized and strong enough to keep its investments in the country, then who knows. They have a blueprint right next door via China to do things differently, anyway.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

It kills me that "realistic" games are still doing Borg spotting.

Organ Fiend
May 21, 2007

custom title

Frosted Flake posted:

It kills me that "realistic" games are still doing Borg spotting.

Borg spotting?

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Organ Fiend posted:

Borg spotting?

New Borg spotted!

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Organ Fiend posted:

Borg spotting?

no actual fog of war, miscommunication, misidentification of units, etc. accurate information gets communicated instantaneously to all units in play in an unrealistic fashion, as if they were all in the borg hivemind together

Organ Fiend
May 21, 2007

custom title

Cuttlefush posted:

no actual fog of war, miscommunication, misidentification of units, etc. accurate information gets communicated instantaneously to all units in play in an unrealistic fashion, as if they were all in the borg hivemind together

Ah yeah. This.

Don't a lot of these games also have third person perspective?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

A realistic game would be really boring cause you'd basically be doing office work, talking to people on the radio and reading garbled reports and poo poo the whole time

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Organ Fiend posted:

Ah yeah. This.

Don't a lot of these games also have third person perspective?

You basically have the view of a drone looking at the battlefield -- in fact it's pretty much the perspective of the drone videos of the current war

Slavvy posted:

A realistic game would be really boring cause you'd basically be doing office work, talking to people on the radio and reading garbled reports and poo poo the whole time

It'd be awesome because I'd just be posting on SomethingAwful

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I think the WW1 LP (the posters name escapes me atm) that took place a few years ago was really demonstrative in how command structures muddy the waters and make it really hard to get anything done compared to the godlike omnipotent single deity system of the average strategy game. You had people literally talking to each other in the same thread and still making mistakes and creating a disorganized mess with thousands of casualties and iirc there wasn't even a particularly strong fog of war effect in place.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Can't wait to play the new UKR/RUS War game where you play as a Russian mobile bakery cook and have to knock out 300 loaves a day under HIMARS fire

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Slavvy posted:

I think the WW1 LP (the posters name escapes me atm) that took place a few years ago was really demonstrative in how command structure muddy the waters and make it really hard to get anything done compared to the godlike omnipotent single deity system of the average strategy game. You had people literally talking to each other in the same thread and still making mistakes and creating a disorganized mess with thousands of casualties and iirc there wasn't even a particularly strong fog off war effect in place.

In that same line, several years ago there was another thread like this, don't remember the war it was simulating, but things very quickly got off to a bad start because no one thought to stagger the arrival times of all the units so 50,000 soldiers plus all the gear and equipment tried to use the same one lane dirt road at the same time

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
There's the Radio General games, one set in Vietnam and the other in WW2 (as Canadians!). There's a few levels of realism, but in all of them your only view of the battlefield is getting radio reports from your units and having to manually put down markers for where you think your guys and the bad guys are.

There was also a much more grognardy Cold-War-gone-hot kind of game that simulated communication delays and fog of war, but it forget it's name. Flashpoint Something I think.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

1stGear posted:

There's the Radio General games, one set in Vietnam and the other in WW2 (as Canadians!). There's a few levels of realism, but in all of them your only view of the battlefield is getting radio reports from your units and having to manually put down markers for where you think your guys and the bad guys are.

There was also a much more grognardy Cold-War-gone-hot kind of game that simulated communication delays and fog of war, but it forget it's name. Flashpoint Something I think.

Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm

I think Armored Brigade also does this?

bedpan posted:

In that same line, several years ago there was another thread like this, don't remember the war it was simulating, but things very quickly got off to a bad start because no one thought to stagger the arrival times of all the units so 50,000 soldiers plus all the gear and equipment tried to use the same one lane dirt road at the same time

Logistics is loving lame and for nerds

supersnowman
Oct 3, 2012

Slavvy posted:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/871530/Radio_Commander/

I wonder how bad this one is since you don't seem to have real direct control on stuff.

EDIT : They are makign a sequel for the Pacific campaign.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1621910/Radio_Commander_Pacific_Campaign/

supersnowman has issued a correction as of 01:26 on Apr 11, 2023

BearsBearsBears
Aug 4, 2022

Frosted Flake posted:

How long will it take for the Ukraine war to work its way into video games and what will the effect be?

Call of Duty: Warzone came out in 2020 and was set in the fictional city of Verdansk which was very heavily inspired by Donetsk.

Here's a video comparing locations in the game with locations in Donetsk and some other parts of Ukraine

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

BearsBearsBears posted:

Call of Duty: Warzone came out in 2020 and was set in the fictional city of Verdansk which was very heavily inspired by Donetsk.

Here's a video comparing locations in the game with locations in Donetsk and some other parts of Ukraine

can't have a game in ambiguously slavic industrial hellscape without a decrepit Ferris wheel

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Slavvy posted:

Yes, a Canadian made it, and it rules. Radio General. Also, I get nostalgic for the CP.

e: COMMAND POST, just to be clear what CP I have fond memories of.

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Frosted Flake posted:

Yes, a Canadian made it, and it rules. Radio Commander. Also, I get nostalgic for the CP.

rephrase

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Frosted Flake posted:

Yes, a Canadian made it, and it rules. Radio Commander. Also, I get nostalgic for the CP.

hmm. didn't expect you to just come right out and say it

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Cuttlefush posted:

It takes more effort to program in all those things, so instead you get red alert 1 level AI scripting.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
*updates Frosted Flake Bio Google Doc and then starts dialing the Mounties*

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 01:33 on Apr 11, 2023

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

https://twitter.com/nkulw/status/1645583253833932800?s=20

lol it really does look like goatse

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

the moment bellingcat chimed in I became certain it's probably a US/UK info op of some sort lol

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Surprisingly hard to find good GIS results for an artillery CP.

e: lol I realize in context guys huddling around a laptop with a blurred screen in a dark space looks bad, but you know

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Frosted Flake posted:

e: lol I realize in context guys huddling around a laptop with a blurred screen in a dark space looks bad, but you know

I think GIS must try pretty hard not to show much of anything if you're searching for terms like that.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Cuttlefush posted:

Slavvy posted:

I think the WW1 LP (the posters name escapes me atm) that took place a few years ago was really demonstrative in how command structures muddy the waters and make it really hard to get anything done compared to the godlike omnipotent single deity system of the average strategy game. You had people literally talking to each other in the same thread and still making mistakes and creating a disorganized mess with thousands of casualties and iirc there wasn't even a particularly strong fog of war effect in place.
Well that's the thing. In any video game you are the hive mind. In any strategy game you never play a person living in that world doing real person things.

That's why in Victoria 3 none of the political poo poo really works. You're a tide of history moving things forward instead of a person working some kind of a political agenda.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Frosted Flake posted:

quote:

Some Guy TT posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/Reevellp/status/1491704682602979331

those wily ruskies trying to lure us into a false sense of security!

They all look the same

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Still training on WinXP at that academy

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
drat, based russian army sticking with the best version of windows

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Al! posted:

i mean even the good things in the aero UI can be chalked to aesthetical than technical

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Al! posted:

i miss windows 2000

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Frosted Flake posted:

Yes, a Canadian made it, and it rules. Radio General. Also, I get nostalgic for the CP.

Gonna play this

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Slavvy posted:

Gonna play this

It has a Dieppe scenario, which is great because you can see how the chaos made adjusting the plan for the raid on the fly incredibly difficult.

What do you mean the port is heavily defended? What seawall? The tanks are stuck on the beach?

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Frosted Flake posted:

The Americans had a theory called "Open Warfare" that was basically predicated on a belief that Europeans were all cowards without the American Can-Do Spirit to break the deadlock, much to the despair of their French trainers. When they arrived on the western front, they suffered 1914 level casualties as this theory proved... less than accurate. However, during the Hundred Days it worked out really well for them, they were fantastic at fighting once out of the trenches.

when your french trainers are telling you "whoa now that's too much élan"

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

Frosted Flake posted:

be really careful about how you spell C-SPAM

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
FF typing out a post:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Just google AFATDS if you want US army artillery command pics, dont know what they call it in canada