Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
HARDEST kong to ESCAPE from
This poll is closed.
Donkey Kong 8 4.88%
Diddy Kong 3 1.83%
Dixie Kong 8 4.88%
Funky Kong 49 29.88%
Chunky Kong 8 4.88%
Bluster Kong 5 3.05%
Lanky Kong (demanded by Cheetah) 53 32.32%
Max Castillo 6 3.66%
Billy Mitchell 18 10.98%
Steve Wiebe 6 3.66%
Total: 164 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Oh I just realized JSRF actually delivers on the promise of Sonic games; it’s a platformer about going fast. But while Sonic has spike traps and poo poo that kills your momentum until you learn the level layout, in JSRF if you’re good you can keep going fast the whole time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
It's a platformer where you evade cops, with some QTE graffiti spots.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Gripweed posted:

Oh I just realized JSRF actually delivers on the promise of Sonic games; it’s a platformer about going fast. But while Sonic has spike traps and poo poo that kills your momentum until you learn the level layout, in JSRF if you’re good you can keep going fast the whole time.

Exactly! It's a great game

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/IGN/status/1645079628233449477

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

I missed the mental health chat, but God drat do I hate my ADHD sometimes. I've been hyper focused on 1 game for the last 4 months and it's really done a number on my mental health. Thankfully the fixation seems to be dying down and I can actually enjoy other games again.

Also hi! I've recently started reading comics again and I forgot how much fun that is. Though there are still several 90's things still floating around and some of them should have disappeared a long time ago.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
Thanks for the dishonored 2 chat. I bought it ages ago on sale and then after finishing Dishonored 1 I thought 'uhhhhh, I can do without more of that, it's ok I suppose but not a great game'. Looks like #2 is a lot better then.

Draga
Dec 9, 2011

WASHI JA!
I don't know if ya'll have heard but Octopath Traveler II owns hard. Currently around 40 hours in and haven't even finished any character stories yet. I'm too busy side-questing anf using Partitio to cheese my way to endgame weapons early.

The music kicks rear end too. Paritito and Throné's themes especially.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

Draga posted:

I don't know if ya'll have heard but Octopath Traveler II owns hard. Currently around 40 hours in and haven't even finished any character stories yet. I'm too busy side-questing anf using Partitio to cheese my way to endgame weapons early.

It really is a special game. Couldn't have asked for better than what we got, really. I think it's the best of the homage games that have come out in the last five or so years. Modern mechanics with the feel of nostalgia. Basically the best of all possible worlds there. And for as simple as the plots are, they are extremely genre aware and pull some sick twists. On top of that, it's a very economical game. No wasted words, very little exposition, straight to the point without sacrificing texture and color in the writing.

Also though its nothing like Dragon Quest, one thing they both do is make a play experience that is easily broken up into chunks. Considering the last game I played before that was Persona 5 which is absurd in how much time it wastes, I really appreciate that.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Pretty sure everyone should check this video out, what an insane technological leap this is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-ORt8313Og

If only the tech could run on my 3060TI :negative:

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
photorealistic games became kind of obsolete as an art style once they invented the camera, sorry.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Real life is just a photorealistic game with no respawns (unless you are Hindu or Buddhist)

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

Feldegast42 posted:

Real life is just a photorealistic game with no respawns (unless you are Hindu or Buddhist)

holding a knife makes you run faster

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Infinitum posted:

Pretty sure everyone should check this video out, what an insane technological leap this is.

This looks absolutely amazing holy poo poo. Truly breaking my brain atm

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

holding a knife makes you run faster

Common misconception, equipping a knife lets you perform lunging attacks which are faster than running if you chain them

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
It’s kinda silly that breath of the wild has elemental staves and the elements are “do some mild fire damage”, “do some mild thunder damage and disarm enemies wielding metal armaments” and “freeze enemies in place and they take like triple damage when you hit them”. Also it’s cool that you can do the main story if you want or start exploring the far reaches of Hyrule and be under constant threat of getting instagibbed with like five hearts by black moblins with mid-lategame gear. I think I’m gonna try to get enough shrines for the Master Sword before my first divine beast and see how much exploring that requires.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Infinitum posted:

characters seem like they benefit the most from it; proper reflected lighting, subsurface scattering, and soft shadows go a long way towards making them feel less like puppets

i do wonder when the tech'll eventually get to general consumer grade, since i know semiconductors have essentially run aground on the shores of quantum tunnelling for the moment, and it seems like you're gonna need a lot of horsepower to render that stuff in real time

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Computer graphics reached their peak with Crysis, since then it’s been treading water

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Vermain posted:

characters seem like they benefit the most from it; proper reflected lighting, subsurface scattering, and soft shadows go a long way towards making them feel less like puppets

This shot is insane to me from an immersion perspective and how realistic it feels

And it's a performance boost on top?
:chanpop:

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
you cant see his face anymore

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUnTOJ93cJ8

put Asura in tekken 8

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
do the improved shadows help fix the 'we have deus ex at home' gameplay

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Infinitum posted:

It's criminal that they are ditching Red Engine forever after the DLC

cheetah7071 posted:

you cant see his face anymore

I think that's kind of the point, he's wearing gold glasses that shine out through the cigar smoke, and he's postured like a shadowy figure.

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

Draga posted:

I loved the first one and I’m beyond annoyed that Square and Microsoft are fighting or whatever because the sequel not being on Xbox sucks.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

It's pretty impressive, but I kinda find it hard to get that excited about this kinda stuff at the moment because we're not really at a place where most of the playerbase is gonna be able to experience it outside of the people who manage to get like thousand dollar graphics cards.

Really cool, can't wait until the technology to run it becomes more accessible.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

All technology developed after the rock has been disastrous.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

the wheel's pretty good, it lets your workers build roads

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Gaius Marius posted:

All technology developed after the rock has been disastrous.

and even he has been slumming up a bit in the last few years with his movie choices

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

I played cyberpunk on ps4 and sometimes people didnt even have faces, they just had big masks of pixel blur bc the texture hadn't loaded in properly yet

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Might just be my YouTube algorithm but lately every mobile game ad I’ve gotten has been in the genre of “working actors with unusual accents (sometimes overdubbed) comparing power levels in a world where power level matters”. I miss the sicko poo poo

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

Started playing Stranger of Paradise: Final Fantasy Origin over the long weekend with a couple of mates. Now I’m stuck at work and all I can think about is killing Chaos.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Half Life Alyx now apparently playable without VR
https://www.moddb.com/mods/half-life-alyx-novr/news/full-campaign-playable-without-vr-update-out-now

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Raytraced lighting and shaders are an iterative bump in visual fidelity for players but every single AAA dev is chomping at the bit for the day they'll be able to switch to a 100% raytraced pipeline because it simplifies so much of the modern game art production workflow.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Champing

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

seems, unrealistic but it's good to have dreams

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

The VR was amazing but also I made the mistake of it being the first VR game I ever played and I assumed they'd all be that good and.... yeah.... they're not. Glad more people will be able to play it, it rules, Alyx rules, and my Half Life 3 Derangement Syndrome kicked back into full gear after I played it.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I know fans have been working on this for a long time now. Glad to see more people can experience the game because it really is pretty good. Playing without VR though does kinda ruin the entire experience.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Flipside to that is that 'Paywalling' a new Half Life game behind an expensive VR setup was a dick punch for fans

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

Walla posted:

I missed the mental health chat, but God drat do I hate my ADHD sometimes. I've been hyper focused on 1 game for the last 4 months and it's really done a number on my mental health. Thankfully the fixation seems to be dying down and I can actually enjoy other games again.

Also hi! I've recently started reading comics again and I forgot how much fun that is. Though there are still several 90's things still floating around and some of them should have disappeared a long time ago.

If you want to talk about struggle with mental health, I made a comic about my struggles with schizoaffective disorder that you might find interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Infinitum posted:

Flipside to that is that 'Paywalling' a new Half Life game behind an expensive VR setup was a dick punch for fans

This is a totally valid criticism, especially with VR still being super niche and out of reach due to cost. PSVR2 is helping bring more people on board with VR, but Alyx is not on console.