Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Get an XR150L and woo the honeys in Garden Grove.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Slavvy posted:

Yeah afaik there was talk of a suzuki 3-500 but it never materialized

Not 300 but 250 seems close

https://suzukicycles.com/sportbike/2022/gsx250r-abs

EvilBlackRailgun
Jan 28, 2007

Have recently gotten the itch to buy a bike. I grew up riding dirt bikes and have messed around on family member’s HDs but I have always wanted a naked sport bike. Almost pulled the trigger on a SV650 back in college but it never happened.

Fast forward to today and I’m suddenly really into the idea of a new retro bike and have fallen in love with the looks of the Z900RS SE.

Should I just settle for a used SV, or go all out for something a little more special like the Z?

Vino
Aug 11, 2010

Sagebrush posted:

I gotta update that OP because I wrote it back before the recent crop of excellent 300-400cc bikes appeared. The Ninja 250 is still perfectly fine as a learner but it's gotten pretty long in the tooth, and newer bikes usually now have ABS, which is a huge safety advantage.

Look at the Kawasaki Ninja 300/400, the Yamaha R3 and MT-03, and the Honda CB300 and Rebel 300. Any will work well for you. Get ABS if you can.

The BMW G 310 and KTM Duke 390 are also in the right power range for a newbie, but you want something Japanese.

It's weird that Suzuki doesn't make something to compete with the aforementioned other three Japanese brands in this space. Or if they do they don't import it to the USA.

Thank you, your post is very informative. Are you perhaps a math major or some kind of engineering? Dunno why I get that vibe. Anyway I'll definitely get some ABS and any other available safety features. I watched some of the no prisoners videos and now I fully believe I will die in a wreck on the highway even with all precautions.

Why do I want something specifically Japanese?

@Toe Rag: Probably not going to take it that far or go riding for fun.

Question for the thread: I ran into a biker and asked him about his bike and about the possibility of getting an electric one, and he said you don't actually want an electric one because you want motorists to hear you. What are the thoughts on that?

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

Loud pipes save lives is complete and utter bullshit. In a modern, well sound proofed car you don't hear a bike until an accident is completely inevitable, no matter how loud the exhaust. The only thing that you do, is piss off people living around nice roads, leading to road closures due to nimby'ism.

You want something japanese because the best bike for you is a bike that runs. Japanese bikes are still the most reliable ones out there. Nothing is more frustrating than being a beginner and having your bike be broken all the time - that's an easy recipe for a beginner to just give up on riding. KTMs are an absolute blast, but apparently always broken. The indian BMW is even worse - or so i've heard.

If you don't ride it for fun, consider a scooter. They're more utilitarian than motorcycles. However, riding bikes is really fun so you might find out you like riding better than you think.

If you almost completely stay within the city, an electric bike is a good option for you.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

EvilBlackRailgun posted:

Have recently gotten the itch to buy a bike. I grew up riding dirt bikes and have messed around on family member’s HDs but I have always wanted a naked sport bike. Almost pulled the trigger on a SV650 back in college but it never happened.

Fast forward to today and I’m suddenly really into the idea of a new retro bike and have fallen in love with the looks of the Z900RS SE.

Should I just settle for a used SV, or go all out for something a little more special like the Z?

When was the last time you regularly rode a bike? If the answer is never or several years ago then that is much too much bike imo

Vino posted:

Thank you, your post is very informative. Are you perhaps a math major or some kind of engineering? Dunno why I get that vibe. Anyway I'll definitely get some ABS and any other available safety features. I watched some of the no prisoners videos and now I fully believe I will die in a wreck on the highway even with all precautions.

@Toe Rag: Probably not going to take it that far or go riding for fun.

Question for the thread: I ran into a biker and asked him about his bike and about the possibility of getting an electric one, and he said you don't actually want an electric one because you want motorists to hear you. What are the thoughts on that?

If you just want utility then a big scooter is by far the best way to go for basically every practical reason. Motorcycles have more performance and are substantially more fun, but they're more complicated and expensive to own by nature. Scooters have lots of cargo space, extremely forgiving riding dynamics, simple twist and go operation, loads of wind protection etc. Regardless of which way you go, you will need riding gear as hitting the pavement at speed will flay you irrespective of what you ride.

Japanese bikes are like japanese cars, they are just the best built and most reliable machines; other brands do have things to offer but those things are irrelevant or lost on you because you're learning and will not make up for being frequently broken.

Loud pipes do not save lives, that is one of the many coping strategies employed by people who suck at riding.

Vino
Aug 11, 2010
Oh trust me I will enjoy riding it. Part of why I want the bike is that I miss the fun of driving a manual transmission. It's something occupy your mind while you're driving. I just mean I won't take it out just to ride it around for no reason.

Anyway yes the reason I find it suspect is that in my experience as a motorist I never hear the bike until they're already passing me.

Good answer about Japanese bikes, much appreciated.

Edit: Do electrics have gears? Edit edit: Looks like no.

Vino fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Apr 11, 2023

EvilBlackRailgun
Jan 28, 2007

Slavvy posted:

When was the last time you regularly rode a bike? If the answer is never or several years ago then that is much too much bike imo

It’s been a minute. Had a CR125 and got my license when I was 16, but fell into fast cars for a while and didn’t ride much outside of the occasional opportunity to try out a friend or family member’s bike.

Used SV seems like the sensible choice, and I can upgrade from there.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

EvilBlackRailgun posted:

It’s been a minute. Had a CR125 and got my license when I was 16, but fell into fast cars for a while and didn’t ride much outside of the occasional opportunity to try out a friend or family member’s bike.

Used SV seems like the sensible choice, and I can upgrade from there.

Also consider an mt07 or cb650

EvilBlackRailgun
Jan 28, 2007

Slavvy posted:

Also consider an mt07 or cb650

Yeah I was looking at the mt07 looks like a dope bike. I’ll look into the cb as well

Appreciate the help!

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

Vino posted:

Oh trust me I will enjoy riding it. Part of why I want the bike is that I miss the fun of driving a manual transmission. It's something occupy your mind while you're driving. I just mean I won't take it out just to ride it around for no reason.

Anyway yes the reason I find it suspect is that in my experience as a motorist I never hear the bike until they're already passing me.

Good answer about Japanese bikes, much appreciated.

Edit: Do electrics have gears? Edit edit: Looks like no.
Alright. The aforementioned bikes are good, 500cc or less is good. Water cooled is better than air cooled if you're crawling along with start/stop traffic in hot weather on the regular.
You could also consider something supermoto like, like a Suzuki DRZ400. Good for potholes and kerbs and such.

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice

LimaBiker posted:

Alright. The aforementioned bikes are good, 500cc or less is good. Water cooled is better than air cooled if you're crawling along with start/stop traffic in hot weather on the regular.
You could also consider something supermoto like, like a Suzuki DRZ400. Good for potholes and kerbs and such.

No CB500X love for eating potholes on Starbucks runs? 😞

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

SSH IT ZOMBIE posted:

I would recommend this as a first bike to a tall person all day everyday. And also available with ABS. Not enough power to get in trouble, but enough fun to keep riding it for years without feeling the need to upgrade to Hayabusa or whatever.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Vino posted:

I just mean I won't take it out just to ride it around for no reason.

Everyone in the thread is currently smiling knowingly.

Motorcycle "just going to pop down to the store" errands have a surprising tendency to turn into fifty-mile "you know, I've never seen where this road goes" joyrides.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I structure my working week around the weather.
Looking decent out? Guess I'll be in the office.
Oh it's snowing. poo poo, WFH today

Vino
Aug 11, 2010

Sagebrush posted:

Everyone in the thread is currently smiling knowingly.

Motorcycle "just going to pop down to the store" errands have a surprising tendency to turn into fifty-mile "you know, I've never seen where this road goes" joyrides.

Ok you just suppressed my mortal fear of dying in a bike. Thank you.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Vino posted:

lmao

Snapshot
Oct 22, 2004

damnit Matt get in the boat

Vino posted:

The reason will be getting a bag of coffee (or similar) from the coffee shop in the next town over, which conveniently has a winding road on the way home.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

"I could take the bike to get milk"

"BUT, I could get milk from across the state if I could keep it cool"

"I could keep it cool if I had a topbox I could pack with ice"

This is how you order a topbox, fill it with ice and stay at a hotel overnight to get milk on the other side of the state. You laugh now, but you'll be seriously considering things like this in a bit

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!
Having ridden a goon’s Z900RS, it’s not just a lot of bike for a beginner it’s also got so much performance potential that while I was having a blast, I was also very aware that the bike was wasted on me.

The difference between wondering if I could push things a little further as my skills improved and knowing that the bike would always be bored of me.

Not that I’ve ridden a ton of bikes, but it’s the only one where I was that keenly aware of the gap between the motorcycle’s potential and my potential.

That doesn’t mean you shouldn’t think of getting one someday, but I don’t think it would be good for a newer rider’s confidence.

And if you weren’t talking about Los Angeles and missing having a clutch, I’d push scooters more. Man, I love scooters.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Having a less practical and ergonomically more punishing bike can cut down on but not eliminate the multi-day milk runs (or just ultimately result in buying more bikes for dedicated milk run activity). Just happened to take lunch hour to do a milk run myself, the grocery store is less than a mile away, so of course it only took about 45 minutes.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

SSH IT ZOMBIE posted:

This is the most underrated daily commuter out there right now especially if you have highway mixed in there.

Snapshot
Oct 22, 2004

damnit Matt get in the boat

Russian Bear posted:

This is the most underrated daily commuter out there right now especially if you have highway mixed in there.

Does the redesigned one have that vibration from the engine at highway speeds? I found I could always tell when I hit 105 km/h, because I’d hit peak vibration from the motor.

Other that that, I definitely agree. Low maintenance, reliable, cheap plastics, and fuel efficient. I wouldn’t say it was exciting, but, it was predictable, and easy to learn on. It dealt with commuting and touring for 9 years until I replaced it with a dr-z400s for a little more fun.

Nofeed
Sep 14, 2008

Snapshot posted:

Does the redesigned one have that vibration from the engine at highway speeds? I found I could always tell when I hit 105 km/h, because I’d hit peak vibration from the motor.

Other that that, I definitely agree. Low maintenance, reliable, cheap plastics, and fuel efficient. I wouldn’t say it was exciting, but, it was predictable, and easy to learn on. It dealt with commuting and touring for 9 years until I replaced it with a dr-z400s for a little more fun.

Haven’t noticed any crazy vibrations out to 120km/h+ on mine. It’s a sweet bike, great for commuting around town, highways, and toodling (slowly) down random FSRs. Sips gas, easy on the maintenance intervals, and if something breaks I’m sure it won’t be outrageously expensive to fix. With heated grips slapped on I’m not entirely sure what else I would ever need in a motorcycle, besides *passion*?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Suspension that isn't just merely adequate would be my number one thing on that bike

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost

Vino posted:

You don’t have to take such absolutist advice. It’s best to match what you actually want from your bike with what the bike excels at.

For various reasons the strengths of each manufacturer tends to match up on national, or at least cultural lines. Japanese makers focus on reliability and being boring in various ways. British bikes focus on looking good while parked. American bikes match best with beer, leather, and the US interstate system. Italian bikes focus on soul, bad software, and sounding like something is broken. Austrian bikes are about fanaticism and using every part of the bike as a wear item.

Of all these, the benefits of a Japanese bike are generally best for new riders but if you’re really into the look of a Triumph or the mystique of a Ducati’s dry clutch or the lightness and power of a KTM then we shouldn’t steer everyone away, just go into it with eyes open.

Captain McAllister
May 24, 2001

I'm 6'1". When I took my riding course, the other taller guy and I were 'assigned' to Kawasaki Super Sherpas (250cc dirtbikes), and everyone else was on Honda Rebels.

My first bike was a Yamaha TW200. Second was a Honda 599. Third and Fourth are a Husky 701SM and a BMW F800GS.

I agree with the smaller CC recommendations, but I'd push towards something like a DRZ400SM. They're common as dirt, parts are cheap, they have decent 'crashability', and an upright riding position that's fairly similar to a bicycle.

You'll feel like a bear on a circus bike on most of the 3-400cc offerings. Hell, if you look at most of the GP riders on 600cc bikes, they're basically modern horse jockeys. On longer rides on my 599, my hips would lock up because of the angle I had to have them tucked up at. It sucked the fun out of longer rides, but the 701 and GS are awesome.

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
My son’s 6'4" (193cm) and I’ll probably have to buy him a bike this year, so I’ve been following this convo with some interest. He wants a metric cruiser but I’ll be in a position to pick his first bike for him, not like he’ll really know what he likes yet anyway.

Kinda figured he’d be cramped on anything like the CBR250R that I started on, and was thinking enduro/DS/etc just for the saddle height. I just haven’t started seriously looking or researching. Keep it coming.

Ulf fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Apr 13, 2023

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Captain McAllister posted:

I'm 6'1". When I took my riding course, the other taller guy and I were 'assigned' to Kawasaki Super Sherpas (250cc dirtbikes), and everyone else was on Honda Rebels.

My first bike was a Yamaha TW200. Second was a Honda 599. Third and Fourth are a Husky 701SM and a BMW F800GS.

I agree with the smaller CC recommendations, but I'd push towards something like a DRZ400SM. They're common as dirt, parts are cheap, they have decent 'crashability', and an upright riding position that's fairly similar to a bicycle.

You'll feel like a bear on a circus bike on most of the 3-400cc offerings. Hell, if you look at most of the GP riders on 600cc bikes, they're basically modern horse jockeys. On longer rides on my 599, my hips would lock up because of the angle I had to have them tucked up at. It sucked the fun out of longer rides, but the 701 and GS are awesome.

A small Enduro is 100% the best built to learn on for every rider. But they tend to be expensive and hard to get depending on where you live. The naked versions of 3-400 bikes have more relaxed and roomy ergonomics.

Ulf posted:

My son’s 6'4" (193cm) and I’ll probably have to buy him a bike this year, so I’ve been following this convo with some interest. He wants a metric cruiser but I’ll be in a position to pick his first bike for him, not like he’ll really know what he likes yet anyway.

Kinda figured he’d be cramped on anything like the CBR250R that I started on, and was thinking enduro/DS/etc just for the saddle height. I just haven’t started seriously looking or researching. Keep it coming.

If my son told me he wants a metric cruiser idk what I'd do to be honest. I'd like to say I'd be more disappointed than angry but it would probably be both. A dr650 would work really well for your jumbo sized kid.

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost

Slavvy posted:

If my son told me he wants a metric cruiser idk what I'd do to be honest.
The desires of twenty-year-olds are beyond our ken. He’s probably just repeating back something he heard from me. He’s also asked if he’d be able to put “dirt” tires on it. No, he’s never heard the words “flat track” before, so that’s not it.

Not sure if that’s about being young or just the general cluelessness of someone who’s never been on a motorcycle before.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

That's mostly ignorance + a sprinkling of internet bullshittery, I say this because I've met many midlife crisis cases who have never ridden a bike and suddenly decided they wanted a Honda shadow cafe racer or a cb750 with knobby tires or what have you

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Probably just cluelessness. My sister informed me back in high school, twenty years ago, that her favorite motorcycle was the Honda 599, I assume because some hot guy in her school had one. The first motorcycle I ever wanted was a cafe'd out Norton Commando and I don't remember why. I probably just saw one once and thought it looked cool.

Thinkin bout buying that 599 tho

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice
How come people keep recommending enduros as starters? Like a drz400 is fun and cheap, but like... it's better at dirt than highway? I'm looking at like a KTM 690 SMC, CRF450RL, GasGas SM 700 as a second bike.

Or like are y'all European with fire trails\seasonal mountain paths everywhere?

The DRZ is heavy for enduro, but lighter than most bikes and might blow around a touch? I can't imagine wanting to put serious road miles on a single cyl enduro. Every one I've ever been on is pretty vibratety.

I haven't been on a drz400 specifically, but I imagine it feels like any other enduro, but slightly heavier and slower.

I would really expect that the rider would be wanting to do dirt with some road if they were to get one?

You are getting some pretty decent suspension on it..but...I think the downsides don't make up for that upside - for street riders.

SSH IT ZOMBIE fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Apr 13, 2023

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Got nothing to do with dirt, it's because they have really severe weight transfer and geometry changes when you brake/gas, they have loads of corner speed if you do it right, very forgiving handling if you get it wrong and they generally reward doing it right while punishing doing it wrong (by being slow and wobbly). You can't just park it in the corners and smash the gas and brake on the straights like you can with a sporty bike, they force you to learn to ride properly. Also they're made to fall over.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Ulf posted:

You don’t have to take such absolutist advice. It’s best to match what you actually want from your bike with what the bike excels at.

For various reasons the strengths of each manufacturer tends to match up on national, or at least cultural lines. Japanese makers focus on reliability and being boring in various ways. British bikes focus on looking good while parked. American bikes match best with beer, leather, and the US interstate system. Italian bikes focus on soul, bad software, and sounding like something is broken. Austrian bikes are about fanaticism and using every part of the bike as a wear item.

Of all these, the benefits of a Japanese bike are generally best for new riders but if you’re really into the look of a Triumph or the mystique of a Ducati’s dry clutch or the lightness and power of a KTM then we shouldn’t steer everyone away, just go into it with eyes open.
I vote for this post to be added into the op of recommend me a bike thread.

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

When you're riding a bike for the first time, even a boring-ish bike is pretty exciting. I still remember the first time i used the full rev range of the pretty boring CBF500 of the riding school.

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice

Slavvy posted:

Got nothing to do with dirt, it's because they have really severe weight transfer and geometry changes when you brake/gas, they have loads of corner speed if you do it right, very forgiving handling if you get it wrong and they generally reward doing it right while punishing doing it wrong (by being slow and wobbly). You can't just park it in the corners and smash the gas and brake on the straights like you can with a sporty bike, they force you to learn to ride properly. Also they're made to fall over.

Yeah, that's all good and correct. I guess I usually just end up thinking more the types of riding - long trips vs short, dirt vs road, lot of highway vs none, comfort, etc - and less about _how_ to ride.

Enduros IMO definitely sacrifice some things - maybe just comfort and highway safety - in exchange for being good at handling and happy in dirt. An enduro can log some highway time, wind becomes a serious factor because they are so light and how they sit.

They're like street legal specialty bikes, with maybe the DRZ being the least special, where theres a plethora of small to mid displacement Japanese bikes that are "just a bike"

Unless this thread is trying to breed sumo riders...which is awesome 😂

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

LimaBiker posted:

When you're riding a bike for the first time, even a boring-ish bike is pretty exciting. I still remember the first time i used the full rev range of the pretty boring CBF500 of the riding school.

Can confirm- the pokey rear end GZ250 I learned on was an absurd amount of fun as a first time rider.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

LimaBiker posted:

I distinctly remember the feeling,and the grin on my face, from the second day of riding school when they told us to just ride around the parking lot circuit to get the bikes warmed up and I got into third gear on my little TW200 for the first time.

It's quite lovely

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

SSH IT ZOMBIE posted:

Yeah, that's all good and correct. I guess I usually just end up thinking more the types of riding - long trips vs short, dirt vs road, lot of highway vs none, comfort, etc - and less about _how_ to ride.

Enduros IMO definitely sacrifice some things - maybe just comfort and highway safety - in exchange for being good at handling and happy in dirt. An enduro can log some highway time, wind becomes a serious factor because they are so light and how they sit.

They're like street legal specialty bikes, with maybe the DRZ being the least special, where theres a plethora of small to mid displacement Japanese bikes that are "just a bike"

Unless this thread is trying to breed sumo riders...which is awesome 😂

I think what Slavvy calls an enduro we call a dual sport. So not like an EXC-500 but maybe an XT250. Neither are good on the highway but that isn’t super important when learning.