Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Currently in No Voidscarred Corsair hell while my local gaming store tries to order a box from Games Workshop. In the meanwhile does anyone have an in depth guide on how to win with them? Haven't done much more than one mock game on tabletop simulator.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Annointed posted:

Currently in No Voidscarred Corsair hell while my local gaming store tries to order a box from Games Workshop. In the meanwhile does anyone have an in depth guide on how to win with them? Haven't done much more than one mock game on tabletop simulator.

IIRC it was "don't play them".

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018
I'm playing against a tyranid player in Kill Team. Whats the best way to gently caress em up and whats the thing to watch out for the most?

Ristolaz
Sep 29, 2005

By completely blowing off my BS you have passed the first trial

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

I'm playing against a tyranid player in Kill Team. Whats the best way to gently caress em up and whats the thing to watch out for the most?

Who are you playing as?

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!

Annointed posted:

They can move very fast and they have some funny "gently caress you" tricks, they can also dash multiple times per turning point with strategic ploys. Note the ambush tac ploy that allows you to charge out of turn if your opponent ends a move too close to you. I take the wraith cannon gunner who can deal 20 wounds easily, but if you take a non heavy gunner you can move shoot dash back easily. The pistollier duellist is another model that can kill a marine on one turn. Don't sleep on the leader's proximity ability to activate another model afterward (keep him close to other model during set up and initial strategic dashes), and take both the 5++ helmet and the sniper cloak if you are using equipment.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
Rogue Trader KT kitbashing continues-
Death Cult Executioner:

Rejuvenat Adept/Ratling Medic

Canid/Snip-snop

My bitz box ran dry for the Lectro-Maester, so I've had to order out for some parts, but making almost a whole kill-team from the kitbashes is pretty neat!

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
I finally sold my Arbites on ebay; just in time to justify a huge order from Green Stuff World! :buddy:

I will be using plasticard rod/tubes to scratch build a melta-gun and a flamer for my Legionary kill team. I built my team using the mono-pose Start Collecting guys so I'm missing those bits. I scratch built my missile launcher which was fun; I need to also scratch build my Shrivetalon which should be much easier.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Major Isoor posted:

Hey, just wondering: Are there any general tips for playing as orcs (specifically against dwarves) in Blood Bowl 2? I've started in a new league and had a couple of lucky 1-0 matches against elves, but I'm far from confident with playing as orcs. I also don't have much SPP - one of my blitzers has MB and my thrower has block, but that's it.

So, the way I figure it, is that I should try and knock-down and clump-up (or crowd surf on the wings) their dwarves, then try to blitz their runners/blitzers in an attempt to get rid of any ability to move the ball. Does that seem about right, or is that a little... aggressive? They have a lot of block, which is always a concern. But I'm hoping that getting rid of their 2D rolls will force him to burn all his rerolls if he wants to fight.

I don't know how much the game has changed in BB2 because I haven't played that ruleset. But nobody else answered so I'll give it a shot:

Dwarves are bullshit. If they make a cage and walk the ball down the pitch there's not much you can do about it and trying to out-bash dwarves is a bad idea. So the main thing to do is to avoid the script where on your kickoff you score quickly, then they manage a score the same half, and then on their kickoff they cage up and grind down the field to win 2-1. One way is to play for a tie by preventing them from scoring on your own half, don't be too fast to score. Another is to get lucky and find a way to punch their ball carrier a lot, force them to try to pick up the ball with a blocker. The best way is to play an elfy team so you can harass them into scoring before the end of their half and then manage a 2-turn TD.

Your plan isn't bad, if you're lucky with dice that might work regardless, but as you said they have a lot of block, good armour rolls, and high strength. Especially with not a lot of SPPs around yet, I'd just expect to lose and be happy with a tie against dwarfs.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

Canid/Snip-snop

Axe Crab rules

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

lol at axe crab, can you get a steak knife for his other claw?

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Ristolaz posted:

Who are you playing as?

veteran guardsmen

Also while Im here, are there any rumors about epic 40k or warmaster returning?

TheDiceMustRoll fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Apr 8, 2023

Flea Bargain
Dec 9, 2008

'Twas brillig

Leperflesh posted:

I don't know how much the game has changed in BB2 because I haven't played that ruleset. But nobody else answered so I'll give it a shot:

Dwarves are bullshit. If they make a cage and walk the ball down the pitch there's not much you can do about it and trying to out-bash dwarves is a bad idea. So the main thing to do is to avoid the script where on your kickoff you score quickly, then they manage a score the same half, and then on their kickoff they cage up and grind down the field to win 2-1. One way is to play for a tie by preventing them from scoring on your own half, don't be too fast to score. Another is to get lucky and find a way to punch their ball carrier a lot, force them to try to pick up the ball with a blocker. The best way is to play an elfy team so you can harass them into scoring before the end of their half and then manage a 2-turn TD.

Your plan isn't bad, if you're lucky with dice that might work regardless, but as you said they have a lot of block, good armour rolls, and high strength. Especially with not a lot of SPPs around yet, I'd just expect to lose and be happy with a tie against dwarfs.

Beating dwarves is all about forcing them to play the game they're not good at. There's a concept from Magic The Gathering called "Who's the beatdown" and at it's core it's about recognising your role in the game, and playing accordingly. Normally Orcs are the bashier team in the matchup, but can't necessarily outbash dwarves, so you should be taking the role of the team that wants to avoid trading blows. As with any game, you can take fights that are favourable for you, but don't let them swamp you into a bash fest, as that is quite difficult for you to win, even with four Big'uns. Dwarves are very slow (mv4 on their linedwarves) and you can abuse that. They need to be moving forward every turn to get their cage to the touchdown line.
What your ideal gameplan on defense looks like is to start centralised and use a column defense (google it if you're not familiar) of a big'un with an blitzer or lineman behind, one square away from your opponent. Your goal is to keep them to one blitz a turn and no good hits, ideally on your big'uns at the front of your columns. You can keep giving up ground slowly, but keep your pieces in front of theirs without basing them. If they commit and move all their pieces in, you get the first hit and can force them into bad fights. They need to commit 5 pieces to holding the ball and caging so you outnumber them hugely, so use that.
Eventually they'll be forced to pick a side to move down to advance their pieces, and you can use your numbers advantage to trap them against the sidelines by stopping them moving forward and a few pieces to stop them moving back centrally. The further you can keep them back, the sooner they will have to try and make a break for it with a runner holding the ball. They might even choose to not score rather than risk the turnover and handoff score on your part.

On offense, it's also about abusing their slow movement. They are slow, so need to cover all the angles. This means that if you cage up near their line, you can shuffle your cage left and right over and over, while trying to blitz a hole through that they need to increasingly raggedly cover. Eventually you can stretch them thin enough to create a hole to blitz through and establish a cage on the other side, or to isolate a small number on one side of the pitch and screen your touchdown attempt. Be patient with this, you can shuffle back and forth for quite a while, you only need 3 or even 2 turns to score from the line of scrimmage.

Happy to answer any questions. Dwarves appear bullshit, and are if you let them dictate the game, but have some glaring weaknesses that you can exploit, especially against less experienced coaches.

Tldr: dwarves slow, stand one square away on defense, stretch them on offense, don't play their game

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

So I've heard about NetEpic approximately every single time someone comes to talk about fantastic GW-origin wargames, but I don't have anyone to play it nearby unless I learn the rules and fork out for two armies. Is there a video battle report anywhere which isn't 1.5hrs long or filmed on a potato which can run me through the game system while illustrating why it's so dominant?

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Southern Heel posted:

So I've heard about NetEpic approximately every single time someone comes to talk about fantastic GW-origin wargames, but I don't have anyone to play it nearby unless I learn the rules and fork out for two armies. Is there a video battle report anywhere which isn't 1.5hrs long or filmed on a potato which can run me through the game system while illustrating why it's so dominant?

i don't think it's worth the effort. its reputation has been inflated by its scarcity. netepic really feels like a 1989 wargame with some of the rough edges sanded off, because it is

Flea Bargain posted:

Beating dwarves is all about forcing them to play the game they're not good at. There's a concept from Magic The Gathering called "Who's the beatdown" and at it's core it's about recognising your role in the game, and playing accordingly. Normally Orcs are the bashier team in the matchup, but can't necessarily outbash dwarves, so you should be taking the role of the team that wants to avoid trading blows. As with any game, you can take fights that are favourable for you, but don't let them swamp you into a bash fest, as that is quite difficult for you to win, even with four Big'uns. Dwarves are very slow (mv4 on their linedwarves) and you can abuse that. They need to be moving forward every turn to get their cage to the touchdown line.
What your ideal gameplan on defense looks like is to start centralised and use a column defense (google it if you're not familiar) of a big'un with an blitzer or lineman behind, one square away from your opponent. Your goal is to keep them to one blitz a turn and no good hits, ideally on your big'uns at the front of your columns. You can keep giving up ground slowly, but keep your pieces in front of theirs without basing them. If they commit and move all their pieces in, you get the first hit and can force them into bad fights. They need to commit 5 pieces to holding the ball and caging so you outnumber them hugely, so use that.
Eventually they'll be forced to pick a side to move down to advance their pieces, and you can use your numbers advantage to trap them against the sidelines by stopping them moving forward and a few pieces to stop them moving back centrally. The further you can keep them back, the sooner they will have to try and make a break for it with a runner holding the ball. They might even choose to not score rather than risk the turnover and handoff score on your part.

On offense, it's also about abusing their slow movement. They are slow, so need to cover all the angles. This means that if you cage up near their line, you can shuffle your cage left and right over and over, while trying to blitz a hole through that they need to increasingly raggedly cover. Eventually you can stretch them thin enough to create a hole to blitz through and establish a cage on the other side, or to isolate a small number on one side of the pitch and screen your touchdown attempt. Be patient with this, you can shuffle back and forth for quite a while, you only need 3 or even 2 turns to score from the line of scrimmage.

Happy to answer any questions. Dwarves appear bullshit, and are if you let them dictate the game, but have some glaring weaknesses that you can exploit, especially against less experienced coaches.

Tldr: dwarves slow, stand one square away on defense, stretch them on offense, don't play their game

some addition to this:

depending on your team development and luck, you might actually be the beatdown. dwarfs rely heavily on their superior access to block and guard to get anything done. you can have up to four players with guard and four players with str 4 to start with, so if you have a few more skills or they start to lose a player or two to bad luck, you can quickly find yourself as the comparable or superior bashing team. this is a rough matchup when all other things are equal, but very often in BB all other things are not equal.

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

Rogue Trader KT kitbashing continues-
Death Cult Executioner:

hey you didn't get enough compliments for this, because it is outfuckingstanding

Cease to Hope fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Apr 9, 2023

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Thanks, that's a shame - I was listening to 'The Crown of Command' Podcast and both the host and his guest spent 1.5 hours talking about how fantastic Epic Space Marine and NetEpic were and I guess I got sucked in.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Southern Heel posted:

Thanks, that's a shame - I was listening to 'The Crown of Command' Podcast and both the host and his guest spent 1.5 hours talking about how fantastic Epic Space Marine and NetEpic were and I guess I got sucked in.

"Playing like an 80's game" is not in any way shape or form a negative and there's a reason why Blood Bowl hasn't been replaced by all of these godawful "I fixed it!" clones that nobody likes or plays

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"

Cease to Hope posted:

hey you didn't get enough compliments for this, because it is outfuckingstanding

Thanks! I'm pretty pleased that I was able to recycle 3/4 of that warband into something I'd actually use.

Edit: poo poo, 3/5, forgot about that fish.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

Thanks! I'm pretty pleased that I was able to recycle 3/4 of that warband into something I'd actually use.

Edit: poo poo, 3/5, forgot about that fish.

Yeah, those conversions are badass!

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

"Playing like an 80's game" is not in any way shape or form a negative and there's a reason why Blood Bowl hasn't been replaced by all of these godawful "I fixed it!" clones that nobody likes or plays

Isn't Epic Armageddon considered more accessible?

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Z the IVth posted:

Isn't Epic Armageddon considered more accessible?

Yep. Even in the 90s Space Marine 2e needed work, I actually started a 'zine to do just that. It got picked up by a publisher and got one real issue out before the publisher lost his day job and had to give up his publishing hobby.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
I understand what this forum is about, however is there any goon Blood Bowl 2/3 players (PC)? Is there a goon group around it? I play with a group of non goons, about a dozen people, but would love some more matches against more people.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

Blood bowl 3rd edition came out in 94.

Just sayin’.

Blackmage Yapo
Mar 27, 2008

Odin You Sad I Have
All The SPP

LRADIKAL posted:

I understand what this forum is about, however is there any goon Blood Bowl 2/3 players (PC)? Is there a goon group around it? I play with a group of non goons, about a dozen people, but would love some more matches against more people.

Mapgoons run a blood bowl league for BB2, new one should be starting up shortly. https://discord.gg/cmxz5HeU

As far as I can tell there are still no real leagues for BB3 because cyanide released a beta.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Leperflesh posted:

Thanks - we'll see how it goes! I played a practice game against the AI (not that that's of any use. More to refine my start-of-drive formations than anything) and in the process injured five players and killed another, in the first half! Injured a couple more in the second... so yeah, I guess I'll just try and replicate that injury rate! :v:

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Blackmage Yapo posted:

Mapgoons run a blood bowl league for BB2, new one should be starting up shortly. https://discord.gg/cmxz5HeU

As far as I can tell there are still no real leagues for BB3 because cyanide released a beta.

speaking of which, mapgoons are starting up a new season of their league pretty soon, now's the time to jump on board

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

specifically, netepic feels like someone jury-rigged rules for pre-dreadnought naval wargaming to be a mass combined arms wargame, but the operative unit in the game is not the equivalent of a ship, but rather a single weapon battery. as a result, it involves buckets of low-consequence dice, fiddling with your troop composition all the way down to the squad level, and rules for specific squad interaction that worry about things like how many squad stands are touching the same stand. it's also very difficult to look at an opposing roster and understand what it does well and the relative threat it poses. this is not because this information is concealed by the fog of war, but it is requires calculating how many hits an army can generate and under what circumstances. too much of the game is invested in calculating and managing and optimizing squad/platoon-level tactics when the meat of the game is maneuvering whole armies.

blood bowl has problems too but that's a separate discussion.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Southern Heel posted:

Quick check-in, did you want to get recommendations for playing the 2nd edition of Epic, which is pretty old and unpopular? Or were you possibly looking for recommendations for the 4th edition of Epic, which is maintained online as Net Epic Armageddon? NetEA is the far more popular version of NetEpic, and generally is referred to as one of GWs best games. I've never heard that said for 2nd edition, but it isn't without its charm. That said, it does play like someone grafted all the non-titan units onto a titan game, because that is what happened. 4th edition was a major rebuild after 3rd edition flopped.

I highly recommend not getting into 2nd edition unless you have very specific reason, and players that specifically want to play that version. NetEA is still pretty active and is a load of fun to play.

Paranoid Dude
Jul 6, 2014
NetEA is verifiably outstanding and great fun. Still gets regular updates and tweaks to clarify rules for newer players and curb cheese lists (these days very few people playing Epic do so with the intent to WAAC though)

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Cease to Hope posted:

blood bowl has problems too but that's a separate discussion.

I agree, the lack of a good Vampire counts team is quite frustrating and the nurgle team needs more speed.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

I agree, the lack of a good Vampire counts team is quite frustrating and the nurgle team needs more speed.

blood bowl is also way too slow for how much randomness it involves, it's very easy to end up in a position where you can't really do anything any more but are expected to let yourself be farmed with good grace, it's a bookkeeping mess, there are many trap options left in the game because they've always been there, the NFL parody framing leads people to expect it to resemble football and it doesn't, team rating is disconnected from team quality pretty badly, etc.

it has problems. some of them are just going to inherently limit its appeal, because they're inextricable from the things people like about blood bowl, but it's certainly a product of its time.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

So if you were to characterise the difference between netepic and netepic Armageddon, what would you say are the major differences?

My only opponent seems to be really focused on playing 28 mm games so I am in no major rush. Mostly I would be collecting and painting -but I want them to at least be a valid army in one of the games.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I've never played Net Epic but it's basically for grognards who learned Epic in the early 1990s and refused to move on. Epic Armageddon is the most recent version of Epic (which is still fuckin' old, just, not as old), and GW made significant improvements to the game with that edition. "Net" EA is really just the community support for EA.

One of the great things about epic is that you don't have this "true line of sight" stuff that you get with 28mm games... the height of units in particular doesn't matter. That means your units can just as well be represented by bits of cardboard cut out in rectangles and squares of the appropriate size! You can get out some construction paper and scissors and make an army in an hour or so.

So don't feel you need to invest in models and paint to get a feel for the game. Put together a couple of ~1000 point armies with no aerospace or titans and you can play a match with improvised terrain on a 4x4ish table.

How does it play? I gave an overview early in the thread, here. I love that it has alternating activations (so instead of "I move my whole army, then you move your whole army" you tend to get to do something every few minutes), I love that outcomes are driven more by morale and objectives than just destroying your opponent's army (the blast marker system works extremely well), and I love that each army is strongly thematic and asymmetrical without the game feeling stupidly unbalanced.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Apr 11, 2023

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLTNi50g9CUS_IV8XCQD-L0rHmKolu4XhX

This playlist is pretty great if you want clarification on rules, it is extremely thorough, even reviewing all errata, albeit a tad dry. I can't imagine learning the game entirely from those videos, but you could. I watched some recently to check them out and I even learned something new from them.

I was also going to suggest some small points games, 1000 pts with no flyers or spacecraft, no formations over 400pts, and played on a 4x3 table. We call that minigeddon, you should be able to have games complete in under 2.5 hours while learning, but most players that are familiar can get a game done in about an hour to an hour and a half.

However, before you do that, I'd highly recommend playing some of the simple training scenarios in the rulebook. Just print out the following tokens and you can get started right away. https://www.net-armageddon.org/assets/epictrainingscenario.pdf

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Cease to Hope posted:

blood bowl is also way too slow for how much randomness it involves, it's very easy to end up in a position where you can't really do anything any more but are expected to let yourself be farmed with good grace, it's a bookkeeping mess, there are many trap options left in the game because they've always been there, the NFL parody framing leads people to expect it to resemble football and it doesn't, team rating is disconnected from team quality pretty badly, etc.

it has problems. some of them are just going to inherently limit its appeal, because they're inextricable from the things people like about blood bowl, but it's certainly a product of its time.

All of those are good things though

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Having read your summary Leperflesh, I am reminded that I actually got bought Epic 40,000 for Christmas one year so I did own it at some point - "memory unlocked, etc".

I actually had a set of Farseer council models from Vanguard Miniatures knocking around so I glued them to a base instead of having them bounce around my 'unfinished models' tupperware:

It seems to be about £50-60 for a 1250pt force and honestly, I think they're quite charming but I'm not sure at all that I'm going to be able to play a game with them after all.

Southern Heel fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Apr 11, 2023

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

All of those are good things though

nah

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

No, they are, and it gives blood boel a unique flavor. every attempt to "improve" blood bowl has failed because it is still a top level game.

it is GOOD to have punishment mechanics for rage quitters, it is FUNNY to field 3 guys vs their entire untouched team, its FANTASTIC thing the game has objectively worse teams than others, etc. It survived GW getting dropped by immediately getting a huge secondary market and staying at the same level of popular while dipshits tried to fix what was literally not broken with joke pretender games nobody remembers. Blood Bowl is a literal godly game dude.

If you can play and enjoy Blood Bowl you are the correct kind of wargamer; someone who can cheerfully take the worst gaming loss of his life and laugh it off.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Southern Heel posted:

Mostly I would be collecting and painting -but I want them to at least be a valid army in one of the games.

Then you want NetEpic: Armageddon. You're going to have a much wider pool of potential opponents, full stop. IMO NetEpic Gold is a holdout of a handful of people who can't let go of the original version of the game, even though NetEA is a much better version. It removes the needless granularity of NetEG with a more modern, streamlined ruleset, and the suppression mechanic used in NetEA is an excellent mechanic. Obviously, people are free to play whatever they want, but I feel NetEA is a better game and you're more likely to find opponents to play.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe
Also there is Epic Armageddon Horus Heresy edition

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Epic is in fact why the Horus Heresy exists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackmage Yapo
Mar 27, 2008

Odin You Sad I Have
All The SPP

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

It survived GW getting dropped by immediately getting a huge secondary market and staying at the same level of popular while dipshits tried to fix what was literally not broken with joke pretender games nobody remembers. Blood Bowl is a literal godly game dude.

I'm Facebook friends with a dude who still posts about Guildball.

At this point I'm only buying secondary market stuff, a full GW skaven team is currently $132 and that is just absurd.