Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Don't know. Don't own any of them.
Mine are 20 something year old Craftsman or Mastercraft (Canadian Tire brand)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

ryanrs posted:

Put 1 Fiesta jack under each axle of the Lincoln.

Get four fiestas, put one at each wheel point and use them as dollies, got it :hmmyes:

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Who’s the crazy hoopty/full sized car person(s) in AI beside me and you wesleywillis?

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

MrAmazing posted:

What is the quality of their ratchets like? I bought a 200 piece box of generic sockets because I don’t have space in my townhouse to bring my real tool kit in from my parents garage and I figured it’s pretty hard to screw up a 6 point socket.

So far I’ve been right about the sockets, but oh boy is it possible to make a ratchet suck……

Buy a harbor freight fine tooth composite ratchet, or one of their nicer ones. A ratchet gets used every time you work on a car, it's worth buying a slightly better one.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
I've got a couple of their older (pre 90 tooth) ratchets as part of some socket kits, and they've held up fine for medium use. I ought to buy a few of the 90 tooth ones and see if they're as good. For standard sockets and ratchets, I think it's hard to go wrong with Tekton.

Edit: I also have some composite HF ratchets, an assortment of old (90s) Craftsman ratchets, and a few no-name round heads. 90% of the time I grab the Tekton ones, for what that's worth. I really should splurge on some nicer 90 tooth ratchets.

PitViper fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Apr 11, 2023

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Dr. Lunchables posted:

I know the discussion was four months and like ten pages ago, but on the topic of Max Jacks and other scissor style lift systems, I have a bit of a conundrum: I have the second largest car Ford ever made in a 1977 Lincoln Mark V and also one of the smallest they made for the US market in a 2019 Fiesta ST. Is there any kind of home jack/lift system short of two or four post that can accommodate such drastically different vehicles?

Here’s some stats that I’m working with.
Lincoln
  • Curb Weight - 4960 lb
  • Wheelbase - 120.4”
  • Bumper jackpoints and body-on-frame

Fiesta
  • Curb Weight - 2743 lb
  • Wheelbase - 98”
  • Distance between jack points - ~53”

I’ve also got a Saturn Vue and a 14 Cherokee, which are just in the middle somewhere

MaxJax aren't scissor-style lifts, they're detached mid-lift two post lifts. Since you define your own post spacing / placement when you install them, I'm sure you could either find a single placement that works for both vehicles, or install another set of anchors and move the MaxJax from one set to the other when needed.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

IOwnCalculus posted:

MaxJax aren't scissor-style lifts, they're detached mid-lift two post lifts. Since you define your own post spacing / placement when you install them, I'm sure you could either find a single placement that works for both vehicles, or install another set of anchors and move the MaxJax from one set to the other when needed.

Yeah, I misspoke and meant to say QuickJacks.

I have seen folks use them perpendicular to the frame, and that seems like the best practical option, because it’s a solid 8 feet from wheel well to wheel well. That way I can put them as far apart as needed.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!

Dr. Lunchables posted:

Who’s the crazy hoopty/full sized car person(s) in AI beside me and you wesleywillis?

I almost picked up a caddy of that era, a hood and an engine you measure in cubic feet. Somehow ended up with a Jag, still has a long hood and barely fits in the garage but it's no proper boat.

I'd say 2 post lift but those only fit in the garage if you're lucky.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

I’d have a better chance fitting a two post lift in the garage than the car itself.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Dr. Lunchables posted:

I've got a 73 mark IV. I just work with floor jacks and this spring was planning on building wheel cribs.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
For the Galaxie I use jackstands on the frame. My fleet are all long cars so when I do finally get the quickjacks on my wishlist it'll be the biggest ones available, the 7000s. That'll cover the Sierra, Binder and Galaxie and probably sneak under whatever SUV I end up with for my wife. And if not that's a twice a year adventure anyway.

If I had a small or regular size car that I was working in with regularity I'd probably get the size for the small vehicle instead, since all the old iron and Sierra are body on frame cars that are less picky about jacking points and jackstand placement. I can quickly get the front and rear up in the air and slide a stand under it. The biggest benefit to the quickjacks for me will be using them with the car parked tight on one side of the garage where I can't get the floor jack in place. As it is now I just center the car in my two car garage or off center a bit for whatever workspace I need.

Now if I had a single car garage, I'd have gotten them already. Working on the international in the single car garage was a testament to my devotion.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Dr. Lunchables posted:

I like me some of them old rear end boats, but unfortunately I have to live vicariously through others :(

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!
For solid axle or cars with the right subframe I have this pneumatic locking jack, I really should try and figure out what it's rated for. Can't do a 62 Bel Air or gmt400/800 suburban but can almost toss a Corolla.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

I lifted my Chevy Express with the 5000lb Quickjacks, it was fine? I didn’t die anyway. Body on frame makes it easy, with the unibody cars it’s more important to hit the specific jack points. I got the length extenders for the BMWs to hit the jack points, I also used it on a TJ which has a pretty short wheelbase and it fit.

MrAmazing
Jun 21, 2005

sharkytm posted:

Buy a harbor freight fine tooth composite ratchet, or one of their nicer ones. A ratchet gets used every time you work on a car, it's worth buying a slightly better one.

I’m Canadian, so harbour freight ends up being expensive once you add receiving costs, driving to my P.O. Box across the border etc.

I bought the Tekton 1/4 drive ratchet and so far I’m impressed with the quality for $25 bucks (CAD).

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

MrAmazing posted:

I’m Canadian, so harbour freight ends up being expensive once you add receiving costs, driving to my P.O. Box across the border etc.

I bought the Tekton 1/4 drive ratchet and so far I’m impressed with the quality for $25 bucks (CAD).

Sorry, Northern neighbor!

Tekton makes good stuff, TBH it's better than the HF middle grade ratchets. You did well, and it should last a long time.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

For future Canucks, Harbor Freight is synonymous with Princess Auto up here, I'm almost certain they have the same suppliers for the majority of their house brand.

Speaking of house brands, Power Fist is the superior house brand with its wide range of products, suggestive name, iconic logo, and bargain pricing. Tell me I'm wrong :colbert:

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

I think I’ve said it before in the thread, I refer to Princess Auto as Hoser Freight.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Bajaha posted:

For future Canucks, Harbor Freight is synonymous with Princess Auto up here, I'm almost certain they have the same suppliers for the majority of their house brand.

Speaking of house brands, Power Fist is the superior house brand with its wide range of products, suggestive name, iconic logo, and bargain pricing. Tell me I'm wrong :colbert:

They should use the goatman as their mascot.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
I picked up a Bauer 1/2 hi torque drill today from HF... Should I disassemble it and regrease it or nah?

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

StormDrain posted:

I picked up a Bauer 1/2 hi torque drill today from HF... Should I disassemble it and regrease it or nah?

I’d want to check it out at least. Might as well grease it too at that point.

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

Big Taint posted:

I think I’ve said it before in the thread, I refer to Princess Auto as Hoser Freight.

What about Canadian Tire?

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

Bajaha posted:

I think that's more or less true for most of the Western world. Check this vs. this.

blindjoe
Jan 10, 2001

Bajaha posted:

Last time I was in Princess Auto, I was surprised how up market they have gone.
I didn't see any cheap stuff - maybe they hide it now, but their ProPoint line is a heck of a lot more expensive then the cheap black stanley stuff at canadian tire.

Like all those places, everything has a sale price though, when it can become worth it to buy.

MrAmazing
Jun 21, 2005

Bajaha posted:

I know, but then I would have to drive to the suburbs…

I find their tools to be rather janky at the best of times, but great for random things that are hard to screw up (like a socket in a random size) and not too tolerance specific or that you won’t use regularly. Their shipping is also very weirdly cheap, but slow

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

StormDrain posted:

For the Galaxie I use jackstands on the frame. My fleet are all long cars so when I do finally get the quickjacks on my wishlist it'll be the biggest ones available, the 7000s. That'll cover the Sierra, Binder and Galaxie and probably sneak under whatever SUV I end up with for my wife. And if not that's a twice a year adventure anyway.

If I had a small or regular size car that I was working in with regularity I'd probably get the size for the small vehicle instead, since all the old iron and Sierra are body on frame cars that are less picky about jacking points and jackstand placement. I can quickly get the front and rear up in the air and slide a stand under it. The biggest benefit to the quickjacks for me will be using them with the car parked tight on one side of the garage where I can't get the floor jack in place. As it is now I just center the car in my two car garage or off center a bit for whatever workspace I need.

Now if I had a single car garage, I'd have gotten them already. Working on the international in the single car garage was a testament to my devotion.

FWIW, the 5000 and 7000 have the same range of lifting point spans. The difference is the 5000 is lower in it's collapsed form by like 1/2". If you don't need more than 5000lbs the additional few inches of lift is a benefit.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

TrueChaos posted:

FWIW, the 5000 and 7000 have the same range of lifting point spans. The difference is the 5000 is lower in it's collapsed form by like 1/2". If you don't need more than 5000lbs the additional few inches of lift is a benefit.

The Mark V is 4960 lbs, and while it’s rated for that extra 40 pounds, I don’t think I could trust it.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Dr. Lunchables posted:

The Mark V is 4960 lbs, and while it’s rated for that extra 40 pounds, I don’t think I could trust it.

There's a factor of safety built in. That said, I wouldn't hit the maximum either.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

Arishtat posted:

What about Canadian Tire?

I haven’t actually been in a Canadian Tire or Princess Auto, my sense is that it would apply to both equally.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

https://www.grainger.com/product/DEWALT-Impact-Wrench-1-2-in-Square-39EL88?opr=ILOF

Dewalt impact, for like $123 with battery and charger. Insane deal.

e: poo poo it’s the brushless 1/2” drive. Serious poo poo.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Dr. Lunchables posted:

https://www.grainger.com/product/DEWALT-Impact-Wrench-1-2-in-Square-39EL88?opr=ILOF

Dewalt impact, for like $123 with battery and charger. Insane deal.

e: poo poo it’s the brushless 1/2” drive. Serious poo poo.

As someone that was planning on grabbing a bunch of m12 fuel stuff, would this be worth grabbing instead of the m18 impact I was also likely to get?

e: out of stock so nevermind

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

I’m also a Milwaukee man, so I never considered it, just passed it along.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Dr. Lunchables posted:

Is that from the specs or have you weighed it. My mark IV hits 5160 on the scales.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

From specs. They cut weight between generations though, despite making it longer.

E: p sure it’s even in their sales brochure, but I’d have to dig that poo poo out, and it’s buried in boxes right now.

MrAmazing
Jun 21, 2005

Big Taint posted:

I haven’t actually been in a Canadian Tire or Princess Auto, my sense is that it would apply to both equally.

Crappy Tire’s stuff is significantly worse than princess auto in my experience. I’ve always got the feeling that princess auto is for people who are cheap and know what the deal is (low price and mediocre to poor quality).

Crappy tire is for people who don’t know what the deal is (medium to high price, mostly garbage).

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Canadian tire sells the exact same tools as Harbour Freight's brand, except if it's $40 at harbour freight, it's $180 at Canadian tire and goes on sale every 3 months for $100.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Dr. Lunchables posted:

That is insane to me. I consider the '64 Galaxie in my garage to be a huge car, it's full size, has extra members added to the frame for stiffness as a convertible, yet still tops out around 3,500 lbs. I'll likely never weigh it but others have online and I just saw a similar car at 3,600lbs. I guess the extra 20" in length has a lot of weight. Goddamn.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Well it’s got a 460 in it, and a few extra feet of steel roof, plus all the luxury and convenience 1977 had to offer: power seats, power windows, motorized antenna, insanely overassisted power steering

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Dr. Lunchables posted:

Well it’s got a 460 in it, and a few extra feet of steel roof, plus all the luxury and convenience 1977 had to offer: power seats, power windows, motorized antenna, insanely overassisted power steering

True true, compared to the tiny little 390 I I have, the only other items that match are power windows and the power steering. And a power top CONVERTIBLE TOP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

nitsuga posted:

I’d want to check it out at least. Might as well grease it too at that point.

All right I took it apart and it had some grease in the gear reduction area that was clearish. Nothing like any grease I've ever bought. Since it was apart I just wiped it out and put fresh stuff in. I worked some into the bearings too. It seems like a robust enough tool I am sure it'll run as long as I have it.