Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Goddamn I love my loving deck and I've only had it two days.

Instantly bought a mountain of SD cards and accessories for it.

Outside of dredge, any other games or accessories to check out? Emulators are next up for me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Maenad posted:

What have you already tried? / What in particular do you like? This list could be near endless, so a bit of context for what you've already given a chance would help.

Dead Cells, Hades, and Darkest Dungeon all work great, heard others say Desktop Dungeons, HyperRogue, and Zorbus do as well.

Tangledeep, Jupiter Hell, Shiren the Wanderer, Caves of Qud, and Golden Krone Hotel should all also work great (native controller support). I've been told that Armoured Commander II does as well. Slay the Spire and Griftlands are both marked verified if you like rl-deckbuilders at all. For survival titles maybe check out Wayward and Project Zomboid (PZ works far better better on Deck than I could've ever imagined, just a matter of getting used to a new control scheme).

Even heard quite a few people having success playing Tales of Maj'Eyal or Dwarf Fortress on it, so really it comes down a lot more to what you want to play on yours (and what rough edges you're willing to deal with, or initial setup stuff you can bother dealing with re: controller layouts).

Thanks for this! I have been mostly playing Dead Cells on my Deck since getting it, it is great. Getting a little bored with having to replay the same intro levels endlessly though, but then that's the whole roguelike thing I guess :haw:

I played the hell out of Hades back when it was on Game Pass and it's excellent, really liked that one. I have PZ and Griftlands in my wishlist! Will add a couple of the others you mention on there and they look interesting, especially Jupiter Hell

I need to get trying some emulators on here, and digging up roms of old favourites like stuff from the Amiga way back when.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

loudog999 posted:

Any tips on what settings to change to make the joystick gyro feel more mouselike, specifically in Halo Reach?

homeless snail posted:

Set everything up as mouse instead, the response curves will be better than you can get with joystick emulation.
I find gyro "as joystick" to be more forgiving than trackpad "as joystick", but changing it to "as mouse" may still be better if not preferable. If you want to stick with joystick emulation, turn down the in-game dead zones as much as possible, and in the Steam Input settings turn down the "Minimum Joystick X/Y Output Value" to match the in-game dead zones--too large and fine movements will feel jerky, too small and fine movements won't register at all, but there's a sweet spot around the in-game dead zone threshold that should feel smooth.

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

ExcessBLarg! posted:

I find gyro "as joystick" to be more forgiving than trackpad "as joystick", but changing it to "as mouse" may still be better if not preferable. If you want to stick with joystick emulation, turn down the in-game dead zones as much as possible, and in the Steam Input settings turn down the "Minimum Joystick X/Y Output Value" to match the in-game dead zones--too large and fine movements will feel jerky, too small and fine movements won't register at all, but there's a sweet spot around the in-game dead zone threshold that should feel smooth.

Thanks, I’ll give this a shot tonight. I would leave it as mouse but every time I would use gyro and then try to use the controller inputs the game wouldn’t recognize any input for about a second while it switched from kb/m to controller.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Sweet, my AliExpress 1TB drive arrived, time to do some light surgery.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Beastie posted:

I stayed up until darn near 3:30am playing Dredge

This is me any time I start playing Hades. I have to deliberately avoid playing it any time late at night.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

AfricanBootyShine posted:

Does the deck support HDR through the dock? Sounds like with the right adapters it could be a nice portable HTPC.

No, Linux does not support HDR. Maybe if you set up Windows on it.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Is the official Dock the only one that supports FreeSync?

Any Laptop docking station that supports DisplayPort 1.3 or higher should work with FreeSync or adaptive sync. Most are 1.2 or below. You would be hard pressed to beat the price point of the Valve dock with any other name brand for that feature.

Gyshall posted:

Outside of dredge, any other games or accessories to check out? Emulators are next up for me
Depends on what you are into. Vampire Survivors is the go-to. There is the free Aperture Desk Job.
I personally recommend emulating old RPGs you never got around to paying but always wanted to.

Heran Bago fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Apr 11, 2023

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

My jsaux transparent back plate arrived, so I’ll install that and the replacement L1 tonight or something.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

AfricanBootyShine posted:

Does the deck support HDR through the dock? Sounds like with the right adapters it could be a nice portable HTPC.

https://twitter.com/plagman2/status/1610200412854046720?s=46&t=jwddDc_gE1uL_pQW58dAkg

it's being thought about at least

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

I'm happy to be wrong about this.

This seems to cover the current state of things:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/HDR_monitor_support

Heran Bago fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Apr 11, 2023

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

ExcessBLarg! posted:

If you got into Steam's properties for Plex you should see an option for "Game Resolution" which you should set to 1920x1080 or Native. Also when you connect an external monitor it will add an option for "Set resolution for internal and external display" which you should enable, but that won't appear unless you have an external display connected.

From there you need to make sure Plex runs full screen. Or, maybe delete all Plex's settings (blow away ~/.var/app/tv.plex.PlexHTPC) and restart it if that's not an option. I'm not sure, I don't use Plex.

Argghh, I'd looked in properties for something like that, and conveniently looked straight past it :doh:

Thanks fellow goon!

Also, this isn't really the place to ask, but what's the difference between the HTPC Plex and the Plex-normal?

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Incredible. I got the 2TB ssd within 10 days from China.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Gyshall posted:

General advice: Pizza Tower. Keep an eye out for Fanatical deals and bundles (ALWAYS gamble on the random Steam codes), subscribe to Humble Choice, Pizza Tower.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Wow I had never known about Fanatical before now, how have I missed that??

Oh god the random steam key egg bundles this is dangerous for me :haw:

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Desktop Dungeons is on sale for $3.75 if you buy it then you automatically get the upgraded version for free when it comes out in a few days.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/226620/Desktop_Dungeons/

I’m going to assume this will be great on the deck.

Ledenko
Aug 10, 2012

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Incredible. I got the 2TB ssd within 10 days from China.

Now you get to find out what's wrong with your chinese ssd - is the size not actually 2tb, is the write speed poo poo or will it error out right away (I have zero trust in aliexpress electronics)

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Heran Bago posted:

Any Laptop docking station that supports DisplayPort 1.3 or higher should work with FreeSync or adaptive sync. Most are 1.2 or below. You would be hard pressed to beat the price point of the Valve dock with any other name brand for that feature.

Thanks!

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Crossposting from the Steam thread:

Jesus Christ, need some help here.

Steam did that weird hiccup it often does where it 'forgets' where a library folder is. No dramas, just went back and pointed it back to the missing one. Except now nothing on Proton will launch, regardless on install location, not even spitting out a log for PROTON_LOG=1 (the compatdata folders regenerate, but empty). I have full permissions to all these folders, they are ext4 not nfts, etc. It's rapidly approaching "flatten OS and reinstall" levels here.

I know Linux stuff is outside the scope of this thread a bit, but I'm rather alarmed and there really isn't a good place to get help on the net about this except maybe reddit or github, which are stretches. Am panicking at the thought of having lost thousands of dollars of goods and there isn't even a bloody phone number to call.

23 Skidoo
Dec 21, 2006

Serephina posted:

Crossposting from the Steam thread:

Steam did that weird hiccup it often does where it 'forgets' where a library folder is. No dramas, just went back and pointed it back to the missing one. Except now nothing on Proton will launch, regardless on install location, not even spitting out a log for PROTON_LOG=1 (the compatdata folders regenerate, but empty). I have full permissions to all these folders, they are ext4 not nfts, etc. It's rapidly approaching "flatten OS and reinstall" levels here.

I know Linux stuff is outside the scope of this thread a bit, but I'm rather alarmed and there really isn't a good place to get help on the net about this except maybe reddit or github, which are stretches. Am panicking at the thought of having lost thousands of dollars of goods and there isn't even a bloody phone number to call.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLDLfrXKaB4

Does repairing the library help?

It's been an expensive fortnight in the Skidoo household: 2TB 2230 from AliExpress, Crystal JSAUX cover (which has been coveted for some time, but the heat sink put me off until just now) and an enclosure so I can clone my drive and not have to configure my deck again. Hopefully everything'll be in my hotter than usual hands due to being directly on top of the heat sink of the transparent cover and I'll be watching my tracking info less.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I’m very disappointed in myself. I fell asleep playing NMS on the deck last night, and I woke up 6 hrs later, my character still chilling on the planet surface, and the fan running pretty good on the deck.

That’s 6 whole hours of ventsmell right out the loving window.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

23 Skidoo posted:

Does repairing the library help?

Already done, but thanks.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Beve Stuscemi posted:

I’m very disappointed in myself. I fell asleep playing NMS on the deck last night, and I woke up 6 hrs later, my character still chilling on the planet surface, and the fan running pretty good on the deck.

RMA.

Pitre
Jul 29, 2003

Beve Stuscemi posted:

Hah, yeah I have to be careful playing NMS before bed because the relaxing music and chill vibe will sometimes make me start to nod off. That's if I'm not hunting pirates or exciting things like that of course. Such a great game and I'm glad I never played it until I got my Deck.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Ledenko posted:

Now you get to find out what's wrong with your chinese ssd - is the size not actually 2tb, is the write speed poo poo or will it error out right away (I have zero trust in aliexpress electronics)

It claims to be a western digital. I couldn't do anything with it last night but at some point today I should get my enclosure so I can clone the drive and upgrade it.

.....hrm....I should clean out some hard drive space then so I can actually store the clone...

I bought an ifixit kit because I wasn't sure I had the right tools to open the steam deck, except it looks like that kit is going to take ten days to ship from california. Somehow, an item I purchased from china is going to get here in the same time it takes to ship an item domestically. That's dumb.

GreenBuckanneer fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Apr 12, 2023

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Anyone got this?

Kind of lolin here 'cause that's some hardcore marketing. I wouldn't mind getting a dock at some point but I haven't felt the need yet.

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!

Saoshyant posted:

Anyone got this?

Kind of lolin here 'cause that's some hardcore marketing. I wouldn't mind getting a dock at some point but I haven't felt the need yet.
Yeah, I got one. Funny because I have the official dock. No flak toward JSAUX, just odd.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Serephina posted:

Am panicking at the thought of having lost thousands of dollars of goods and there isn't even a bloody phone number to call.

It sucks you have a problem but you haven’t ‘lost’ them when they can just be re-downloaded, this is a wild way to interpret the issue.

The way you’re talking here makes it sound like they’re gone forever and ever instead of just needing to be reinstalled at worst.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

of course, the enclosure only supported SATA m.2 not NVME m.2....they sell a virtually identical enclosure from the same company that does both. God dammit. I'll just do a clean install and get a replacement enclosure another day

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

History Comes Inside! posted:

It sucks you have a problem but you haven’t ‘lost’ them when they can just be re-downloaded, this is a wild way to interpret the issue.

The way you’re talking here makes it sound like they’re gone forever and ever instead of just needing to be reinstalled at worst.

Yeah your steam account is still there.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

I was in a store with maternity pillows. Sat down with one and immediately said "gently caress those goons were right."

Time to update the beginner's guide.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Serephina posted:

Steam did that weird hiccup it often does where it 'forgets' where a library folder is.
On a Deck? That shouldn't happen.

Serephina posted:

Except now nothing on Proton will launch, regardless on install location, not even spitting out a log for PROTON_LOG=1 (the compatdata folders regenerate, but empty).
It sounds like you've experienced some level of file-system corruption. It might be possible to fix it in place, but I'd just reinstall from the recovery image.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

ExcessBLarg! posted:

On a Deck? That shouldn't happen.

It sounds like you've experienced some level of file-system corruption. It might be possible to fix it in place, but I'd just reinstall from the recovery image.

Also, is this on a stock SSD, replaced SSD or a SD Card?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Heran Bago posted:

I was in a store with maternity pillows. Sat down with one and immediately said "gently caress those goons were right."

Time to update the beginner's guide.

I haven't used the pillow for playing the deck, but I have used it to help me hold up my child when I would rock him in the middle of the night.

I don't even need to imagine how well they work for the deck. I definitely know.

Sadly, my kids are older than either my wife and I needing a nursing pillow anymore, but goddammit, I wish we had kept it now.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Serephina posted:

Steam did that weird hiccup it often does where it 'forgets' where a library folder is. No dramas,

Don't nuke it yet!

1. Steam itself? you may have clicked the "mount" button when inserting an SD card in desktop mode, which screws it all up; this can be coped with sometimes by copy and pasting your games where it wants them
2. The file browser/explorer "forgets?" This is a weird one, perhaps unique to the platform, and I'm delighted that I was able to figure it out. If a folder is invisible, (to everything except terminal) and it's not due to being hidden or something. use the "touch" command.

cruft posted:

The "touch" command opens a file for write, and then immediately closes it without doing any writes. This has the effect of changing the modification time (mtime) in the filesystem.

There may be some race condition in an application you're using, which you can work around by re-setting the modification time. Changing the mtime of every file in a directory is a weird kludge but I've had to do weirder things in my life. Doing this won't hurt anything, really, you'll just lose accurate information about when the files were last modified.

Anyway, the way you can touch every file in a directory and its subdirectories would be something like `find /directory -exec touch \{} \;`.

I think the first time I used the fix it was a simpler command like "find /home/deck/eldensoulsii/ touch" I just touched the folder and didn't have to touch all the files within it

Another thing i learned at the same time: SD doesnt have pip or yay. And it can't, unless you do advanced operations that are inadvisable. those help install certain apps, so you won't be able to install certain apps, that's why people tell you to find flatpaks; they don't depend on you having anything special.

one goon had the following advice to help me use an app that won't install on steam deck:

Computer viking posted:

You may want to look into distrobox - it's similar to flatpacks, but you run a complete linux distro instead of a single application.

The practical benefit is that you can install a normal Ubuntu or Arch or Fedora or whatever distro in a folder, as your normal user. Then you can use a single command to go "inside" that folder/distro, and install and run whatever you want from in there, without having to worry about how SteamOS is weird.

I haven't tried it on SteamOS, but it did work well for me on Red Hat Enterprise. Admittedly two very different distributions, but both have odd limitations.

As for how, this looks reasonable. Not one but two cases of "run this script directly from the internet", which is horrible but also apparently how the youth do things.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I finally got Arkham Asylum working on this thing. I didn’t realize Proton GE was a thing you had to download from the Discover Center.

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007

Detective No. 27 posted:

I finally got Arkham Asylum working on this thing. I didn’t realize Proton GE was a thing you had to download from the Discover Center.

Proton GE is a fork maintained by one guy (Glorious Eggroll) that includes things like patented video codec support that Valve can't legally bundle into the official version.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

i don't think anyone posted this bundle link here
https://www.humblebundle.com/store/promo/platroguevanialike-sale/?partner=nintendeal
that's not my affilliate link, it's red's

there are a lot of people here getting a steam deck who are behind on games, these are a good catch up opportunity with stuff that "should" be in your library like hollow knight, blasphemous, noita, risk of rain. I don't care about those personally except blasphemous, my recommendation is monster sanctuary which is a charming nice deck game with cute monsters and many combat options.

Saoshyant posted:

Anyone got this?

what are they chargin for shipping?

Mescal fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Apr 12, 2023

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug
Not caring about Hollow Knight is pretty blasphemous I agree.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Gyshall posted:

Hades.

It seriously is low key the best game to play on Deck. Sequel can't come soon enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Dredge, Hades, Cult of the Lamb, and Powerwash Simulator (with gyro aiming!) are my recent top 4 "new deck get this" games.