Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
Goodbye Fantasy Wilford Brimley, we'll never forget you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

So there's a potential world ending catastrophe, half the group is off god knows where and a god eater is about to be unleashed

Lets go do a low rent pest control job...

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

AceClown posted:

So there's a potential world ending catastrophe, half the group is off god knows where and a god eater is about to be unleashed

dnd.txt

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

basically every signal Matt is giving them is that there's no way for them to immediately do anything and that he's happy for them to pursue side quests

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

eke out posted:

basically every signal Matt is giving them is that there's no way for them to immediately do anything and that he's happy for them to pursue side quests

World's gonna end in an in-universe month, maybe less, try to spread some happiness around one last time before it all fully goes to poo poo.

Dragonstoned
Jan 15, 2006

MR. DOG WITH BEES IN HIS MOUTH AND WHEN HE BARKS HE SHOOTS BEES AT YOU
by Roger Hargreaves

AceClown posted:

Did you miss the part where it directly tied in to one of the players backstory?

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

AceClown posted:

The party is just about on the complete opposite side of the world from the dig site. The teleportation circle has apparently deactivated vigorously, probably permanently. The party cannot contact anyone with sending. Even if they did, there's no airship to come get them. The widest part of the continent is between them and Nicodranas, which is the port closest to Marquet (I don't think there's a lot of shipping going between Palebank and Marquet). It'd be probably two months travel at least. What can the party do to get back to Marquet which you think they AREN'T doing?

The DM chose to put out a big heaping bowl of "adventurer chow" in the form of a big bull beast combat encounter. The party solved that in a very astonishing, very public manner, with no further loss of life. That's productive in that it's going to get the rulers of the city favorably disposed towards them. The DM then put out something which was directly tied to a major part of a PC's backstory and character motivation - those are the delicious delicious treats on top. It was not just some random encounter low-rent pest control job.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

The party is just about on the complete opposite side of the world from the dig site. The teleportation circle has apparently deactivated vigorously, probably permanently. The party cannot contact anyone with sending. Even if they did, there's no airship to come get them. The widest part of the continent is between them and Nicodranas, which is the port closest to Marquet (I don't think there's a lot of shipping going between Palebank and Marquet). It'd be probably two months travel at least. What can the party do to get back to Marquet which you think they AREN'T doing?

The DM chose to put out a big heaping bowl of "adventurer chow" in the form of a big bull beast combat encounter. The party solved that in a very astonishing, very public manner, with no further loss of life. That's productive in that it's going to get the rulers of the city favorably disposed towards them. The DM then put out something which was directly tied to a major part of a PC's backstory and character motivation - those are the delicious delicious treats on top. It was not just some random encounter low-rent pest control job.

yeah it's just asking players to ignore what matt's putting down. if this was a deadline they could meaningfully affect, he would've given them a sliver of hope by now

maybe this will somehow end in them finding someone who can transport them, but these current problems could also be resolved by the actions of the other group in some way we don't know about now that're happening at the same time. matt could also be committing to some bigger ff6 world of ruin style 'reassemble the party' deal, but it doesn't feel like that right now

eke out fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Apr 11, 2023

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006
The switch from the big event the whole campaign thus far has been building towards to being on the other side of the planet with no option to affect anything anymore was just way too abrupt. It's as jarring as slamming on the breaks in a speeding car. You gotta ease into a stop.
I think maybe the biggest mistake was making the solstice a multi-day event. It makes it feel like there's still something that could be done about it, that that's what they should be focusing on right now, but Matt has clearly signaled that they're stuck for now so all the players can actually do feels like inconsequential nonsense compared to the upending of the entire order of the multiverse that's happening in the background.

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

I like the gear shift, going from and Oh poo poo to then having stuff hang over them. Its good and the fact that it has been driven home at this point that they don't have many good options of travel means there isnt that sense of wondering why they can't travel back.

Outlandish guess for what they do next, they find out someone is a dragon in disguise and convince them to fly the four of them back

Flakey
Apr 30, 2009

There's no need to speak. You must only concentrate and recall all your past life. When a man thinks of the past, he becomes kinder.
I haven't really been paying attention, how are they releasing Midst? Is the first episode free and do you have to go sub to Midst for the rest?

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Flakey posted:

I haven't really been paying attention, how are they releasing Midst? Is the first episode free and do you have to go sub to Midst for the rest?

Three episodes for free, then you need to subscribe for the rest.

Flakey
Apr 30, 2009

There's no need to speak. You must only concentrate and recall all your past life. When a man thinks of the past, he becomes kinder.
Thanks!

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Senjuro posted:

The switch from the big event the whole campaign thus far has been building towards to being on the other side of the planet with no option to affect anything anymore was just way too abrupt. It's as jarring as slamming on the breaks in a speeding car. You gotta ease into a stop.
I think maybe the biggest mistake was making the solstice a multi-day event. It makes it feel like there's still something that could be done about it, that that's what they should be focusing on right now, but Matt has clearly signaled that they're stuck for now so all the players can actually do feels like inconsequential nonsense compared to the upending of the entire order of the multiverse that's happening in the background.

The opportunity to do something about it came, and they did something about it. We know they didn't stop it completely but have no idea what is currently transpiring, and Matt deliberately cut this group off and chose to run for them first.

The campaign world isn't going to end off-screen with the PCs marginalized.

My best guess is that instead of completely shattering the Divine Gate locking in Predathos, the device weakened it and created some holes. Predathos will have to escape by projecting tendrils into the world. I would also guess that a return to the ritual site where the red moon seems to be chained will be the climax of the campaign, but maybe not.

If your attitude about major PC backstory development is that it's "inconsequential nonsense" I don't know what to tell you. They have no capacity to do anything about the upended cosmic order at the moment and I would like to hear what you think this party should have spent their morning doing that would be "consequential" in your eyes.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

it's hard to explain but I'll try.

It feels like there's a sense of urgency that's just dropped from the party. The best example is that for the first time in however long it is Imogen is completely cut off from Laudna and FCG is cut off from Ashton, but they're all happy and swatting glow bugs and spiders. There's no panic, no introspection and no roleplay around the bigger themes. They just seem to have stopped caring.

I'm not saying I'm not enjoying the show, and I do get that character back story is important, but there's no urgency around any of the characters at the minute.

Why would they, knowing the stakes and the timeline, not just get a load of fast horses and just fuckin book it to the nearest major city with a sky-ship port?

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

because they're on the wrong side of the world and doing that would still take literal months. the sense of urgency dropped because narratives cannot only ratchet up tension forever!

it's been a single day in town and they've stopped two dangerous threats to the city, alerted a bunch of important people to the threat, began research on it, and set an appointment with the city's rulers where i suspect they'll probably talk about the world-ending event they're involved in.

the only thing they've done not directly related to that plot, including basically all their roleplay, is the side-stuff with chetney that matt is very obviously telling them they should do now and probably is actually related to the larger plot in some significant fashion because that's how these things work and everyone knows it

eke out fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Apr 11, 2023

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

I mean, this is a D&D campaign, not a scripted story, anyway. They play to have fun. nothing more. in Campaign 2 when they were literally at one step from the Very Definitely Final Dungeon they teleported away for days to do personal stuff.

Dragonstoned
Jan 15, 2006

by Roger Hargreaves

AceClown posted:

Why would they, knowing the stakes and the timeline, not just get a load of fast horses and just fuckin book it to the nearest major city with a sky-ship port?

Just to give you an idea, this is how far away they are from the action...

The closest sky-ship port is in Port Damali, which still requires them to cross a continent which is going to take a while no matter how fast the horses are. Oh and its also going to take the sky ship weeks to get to Marquet on top of that...

No I'm pretty sure the royalty of Uthodurn are going to be the key to getting them where they need to go quickly.

e: I should point out that "going the other way" around the map is not an option either because its very treacherous icy environment in those northern waters that requires specific "ice breaker ships" to traverse (or comedy answer - the world is flat and its completely impossible)

Dragonstoned fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Apr 12, 2023

Antitonic
Sep 24, 2011

Invented By Gandhi

Dragonstoned posted:

I should point out that "going the other way" around the map is not an option either because its very treacherous icy environment in those northern waters that requires specific "ice breaker ships" to traverse (or comedy answer - the world is flat and its completely impossible)

I just figured it was a blank canvas for more worldbuilding if it was necessary. Like the actually forgotten parts of the Forgotten Realms.

Dragonstoned
Jan 15, 2006

by Roger Hargreaves

Antitonic posted:

I just figured it was a blank canvas for more worldbuilding if it was necessary. Like the actually forgotten parts of the Forgotten Realms.

Yeah that's also a very likely possibility but I just wanted to point out that "going the other way" isn't the solution here - and even it it was possible to get back round to Marquet that way, it would still take weeks of hard sea travel to get there

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Are there real-life constraints why talisien, marisha, and liam are afk (other projects, holiday, huge party-benders)? or is it just "we wanted to have guests and so we split the party"?

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Marisha at least has a boxing match to prep for, Liam started monologuing into a mirror and is trapped, and Talesin is visiting family in Egypt.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

Liam started monologuing into a mirror and is trapped

We always knew this could happen.

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

Talesin is visiting family in Egypt.

Some of whom he's not seen in quite a long time, I imagine...

In any case, I imagine it's nice for some of the cast to have an extended time off without having to record multiple episodes per week.

Other than the COVID shutdown, I wonder what's the longest period of time a member of the main cast hasn't been in a weekly CR episode... Ashley probably missed a bunch in C1, and there was the EXU stuff, but I can't think of anything else at the moment.

That reminds me, I really wish they'd do more Narrative Telephone, that was by far my favorite CR alternate series but with the ability to meet in person now it might be done for.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

double nine posted:

Are there real-life constraints why talisien, marisha, and liam are afk (other projects, holiday, huge party-benders)? or is it just "we wanted to have guests and so we split the party"?

If there are constraints, we don't know about them. The problem with professional VA gig work is that a lot of times they are under NDA and can't talk about it until it's about to release.

Ultimately I think it's more a combination of this being like the end of the second act in the 3 - act sense, and Matt wanting to have a palette cleanser and get the players out of their comfort zones plus the opportunity to get some more guests in. I'm curious who winds up showing up for Liam, Marisha, and Taliesin portion of events. I'm hoping for like Brennan Lee Mulligan and like Jasmine Bhullar. Those two can riff off each other so well.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Dragonstoned posted:

e: I should point out that "going the other way" around the map is not an option either because its very treacherous icy environment in those northern waters that requires specific "ice breaker ships" to traverse (or comedy answer - the world is flat and its completely impossible)

I mean, if the world is flat it should be relatively easy to fly on the back side of the planet. Or maybe there's just no terrain on the bottom side and they can just find the fastest way to move to get there.

Or comedy option on comedy option, get one of the elephants the world is on the back of to move them over there with their trunk.

Mylan
Jun 19, 2002

boxen posted:

Other than the COVID shutdown, I wonder what's the longest period of time a member of the main cast hasn't been in a weekly CR episode... Ashley probably missed a bunch in C1, and there was the EXU stuff, but I can't think of anything else at the moment.

Just off the top of my head there was big chunks in C2, for example Travis and Laura when they had their kid, and Ashley again because of TV stuff which was when they had her character run off with that demon guy for a while.

Edit: and Marisha was technically out for like 3 episodes recently while they dealt with Laudna's mortality difficulties.

Mylan fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Apr 12, 2023

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

Mylan posted:

Just off the top of my head there was big chunks in C2, for example Travis and Laura when they had their kid, and Ashley again because of TV stuff which was when they had her character run off with that demon guy for a while.

Edit: and Marisha was technically out for like 3 episodes recently while they dealt with Laudna's mortality difficulties.

I'm pretty sure those are the only episodes Marisha "missed." She was available to play each time, of course.

AJA
Mar 28, 2015
Have no idea what is going on on twitch.tv/criticalrole right now,

quote:

Thanks for joining us as we host Myth & Music: An Evening With Stray Gods! The show is LIVE from LA and will begin around 7:30pm PT

But I'm really digging it. Did I miss an announcement?

EDIT: Apparently it's for a video game? I dunno, Laura and Mary Elizabeth McGlynn just had a duet in front of a live band...and then ran it back and did a rap battle. I don't know about the game, but so far I'd buy a live OST.

AJA fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Apr 13, 2023

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

AJA posted:

Have no idea what is going on on twitch.tv/criticalrole right now,

But I'm really digging it. Did I miss an announcement?

EDIT: Apparently it's for a video game? I dunno, Laura and Mary Elizabeth McGlynn just had a duet in front of a live band...and then ran it back and did a rap battle. I don't know about the game, but so far I'd buy a live OST.

Apparently it was going to be on another twitch channel but there was some kind of thing with that, so CR stepped up?

https://www.summerfallstudios.com/stray-gods

AJA
Mar 28, 2015

boxen posted:

Apparently it was going to be on another twitch channel but there was some kind of thing with that, so CR stepped up?

https://www.summerfallstudios.com/stray-gods

Thanks! Yeah, just watched the trailer. Looks fun. Given that like EVERYONE in it is CR or CR-friends, I'm surprised it wasn't originally meant to be cast on the CR channel.

(also, I know Troy kept "joking" about getting a drink backstage, but I think Anjali may actually have)

Mylan
Jun 19, 2002

rocketrobot posted:

I'm pretty sure those are the only episodes Marisha "missed." She was available to play each time, of course.

Hence the "technically."

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

Mylan posted:

Hence the "technically."

Yeah, I was just pointing out that she's every DM's favorite player: the one that shows up.

Meadowhill
Jan 5, 2015

Dragonstoned posted:

Just to give you an idea, this is how far away they are from the action...

The closest sky-ship port is in Port Damali, which still requires them to cross a continent which is going to take a while no matter how fast the horses are. Oh and its also going to take the sky ship weeks to get to Marquet on top of that...

No I'm pretty sure the royalty of Uthodurn are going to be the key to getting them where they need to go quickly.

So what I'm seeing is that Exandria is flat? On a more serious note, is there space outside of the borders of the map?

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

Meadowhill posted:

So what I'm seeing is that Exandria is flat? On a more serious note, is there space outside of the borders of the map?

Someone tell Aabria that she can just sail East. Isn't Chetney a flat earter?

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Meadowhill posted:

if PCs ever wanted to travel that way matt would be a fool to not have some kinda New World imo

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

lemonadesweetheart posted:

Someone tell Aabria that she can just sail East. Isn't Chetney a flat earter?

That's FCG. And honestly I'm surprised he hasn't recommended it.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
I thought I recognized a patented Mercer villain voice in the trailer this morning:

https://twitter.com/matthewmercer/status/1646676756122705922

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."
No wonder Ganondorf sounded so hot

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

:frogsiren: You can hear the voice of Sexy Ganondorf in Campaign 3, Episode 55! Right now! :frogsiren:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

ashley taking a level of rogue may not be mechanically optimal but it has really paid dividends for her ability to constant steal poo poo