Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy
the fed does not have a mandate to control inflation to control prices, the fed has a mandate to control inflation because the terms of resolving the capital strike of the 70s involved that the central bank would keep wages down

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyber Punk 90210
Jan 7, 2004

The War Has Changed

Wake up, honey! Sinn Féin put up a new TikTok

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

atelier morgan posted:

the fed does not have a mandate to control inflation to control prices, the fed has a mandate to control inflation because the terms of resolving the capital strike of the 70s involved that the central bank would keep wages down

people look at you like you are crazy if you tell them this

Woke Mind Virus
Aug 22, 2005

Nothus posted:

My wife and her colleagues are already using it to write cover letters and work emails. They look at me like I'm stupid when I tell them what a bad idea it is.

this sounds like a good idea to me cause no one should ever read cover letters or work emails.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
the fed has a mandate and also a woman date and they're in the same restaurant and now the fed has to constantly excuse themselves to do both dates at once before they both catch on and the fed concedes that his sister was right all along

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Woke Mind Virus posted:

this sounds like a good idea to me cause no one should ever read cover letters or work emails.

I refuse to provide cover letters as a matter of principal

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
ChatGPT 4 has pretty much taken all the work from the freelance writers I used. It takes me about as much time to get the prompts right and edit the output as it did for me to create outlines and edit the writers, except I don't have to pay it and it spits out copy immediately.

Honestly, my clients have been more complimentary of the ChatGPT outputs.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Woke Mind Virus posted:

These people are scientists who make their living as knowledge workers providing written descriptions and interpretations of data analysis. Letting AI into their domain is going to put most of them out of a job in 10 years because hospitals already grudgingly pay them well for their services and will absolutely go with a cheap and lovely AI even if it kills a few people a year with a misdiagnosis.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

namesake posted:

Seems like a few of you would benefit from reading Walter Benjamins 'The Work of Art in the Age of Mechanical Reproduction'. It's 87 years old but is good about how cultural art is changed under capitalism. It talks about how the film changed plays and acting from the audience identifying with the actor (as an actor acting likewise responds to their immediate audience) to the audience identifying with the camera as a fixed critic and I think there's a step beyond that now in AI generation where the prompter is creator but also the immediate audience so the output is also acquiring mystic cult value again because of the black box nature of algorithmic generation as well as the economic impact of mass proliferation of output.

https://www.marxists.org/reference/subject/philosophy/works/ge/benjamin.htm
one of a few pieces of writing that changed my worldview entirely, highly recommended read

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Nothus posted:

These people are scientists who make their living as knowledge workers providing written descriptions and interpretations of data analysis. Letting AI into their domain is going to put most of them out of a job in 10 years because hospitals already grudgingly pay them well for their services and will absolutely go with a cheap and lovely AI even if it kills a few people a year with a misdiagnosis.

I kinda get the feeling that without any AI, capitalism itself would manage to phase their jobs out in 20 years anyways. The speed of the AI just mean that everything is going to accelerate quicker over a short time than it being dragged out in a medium time

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

I'm personally of the opinion that inflation is that less volalitile and sticky inflation is very slowly starting to fall now, but this is a problem. Without a recession forcing a significant drop in the stickier aspects of inflation idk how we get under 4-4.5% y/y by end of the year. Especially if oil does rise this summer.
https://twitter.com/FirstSquawk/status/1646129127387197440?t=N5S5dVOYcN-EiiC166EK3w&s=19

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

atelier morgan posted:

the buried lede in the tweet is the 'ex-food and energy' part, as it ever is

inflation is wages, not prices

the explicit reasoning for excluding food and energy is that the prices on those things change for improper reasons

every time an orthodox economist says inflation just substitute it with wages

good point

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

NeonPunk posted:

I kinda get the feeling that without any AI, capitalism itself would manage to phase their jobs out in 20 years anyways. The speed of the AI just mean that everything is going to accelerate quicker over a short time than it being dragged out in a medium time

This is certainly true, but the hope was that the current generation could get to retirement before being phased out.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Nothus posted:

My wife and her colleagues are already using it to write cover letters and work emails. They look at me like I'm stupid when I tell them what a bad idea it is.

It's perfect for cover letters because those are already only read by psychopaths or completely ignored, so just handing grammatically correct gibberish in does the job

Re inflation we took our foot off the pedal and put on cruise control. Problem is we're doing 60mph in a 20 mph school zone and the kids crossing the street is the bank account of anyone earning under 100k

mastershakeman has issued a correction as of 14:39 on Apr 12, 2023

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

PostNouveau posted:

ChatGPT 4 has pretty much taken all the work from the freelance writers I used. It takes me about as much time to get the prompts right and edit the output as it did for me to create outlines and edit the writers, except I don't have to pay it and it spits out copy immediately.

Honestly, my clients have been more complimentary of the ChatGPT outputs.

I have some kind of doofy brain that won't let me grasp some advanced math no matter how hard I try that has limited my ability to get degrees. When I asked questions in school I just got mocked for being behind or punished for having bad grades. One teacher just failed me for an entire semester because I got frustrated and told him to do his job after 6 weeks of zero instruction. I ended up dropping out of college because I couldn't even do the remedial math courses.

Now I can just ask my dumb questions over and over. "Phrase your answer this way" "Use an analogy with two clowns to explain this interaction" "why is this visually similar problem answered differently and use less than 200 words in your response" "explain the difference between algebra and trigonometry as if you were explaining the differences in addition and division"

Judgement free information that isn't filtered through stupid assholes is honestly amazing for me. I think that is the key appeal here. It's not the dawn of a new intelligence you just don't have to deal with people and get information that is as good or better with none of the costs or problems that come along with that.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Ghost Leviathan posted:

This is literally what the Butlerian Jihad was actually about, I'm pretty sure. 'Machine thinking'. (of course, a big theme in Dune is that it didn't actually work, as mentats and such can attest to)

Machines don't think

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!
the good thing about AI is that it is going to usher in scientific breakthroughs at an unprecedented rate.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Rectal Death Adept posted:

Now I can just ask my dumb questions over and over. "Phrase your answer this way" "Use an analogy with two clowns to explain this interaction" "why is this visually similar problem answered differently and use less than 200 words in your response" "explain the difference between algebra and trigonometry as if you were explaining the differences in addition and division"

Judgement free information that isn't filtered through stupid assholes is honestly amazing for me. I think that is the key appeal here. It's not the dawn of a new intelligence you just don't have to deal with people and get information that is as good or better with none of the costs or problems that come along with that.

that's nice, how do you know it's true though?

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Trump will make gas .80 again

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Goa Tse-tung posted:

Truth is in the eye of the beholder

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Rectal Death Adept posted:

I have some kind of doofy brain that won't let me grasp some advanced math no matter how hard I try that has limited my ability to get degrees. When I asked questions in school I just got mocked for being behind or punished for having bad grades. One teacher just failed me for an entire semester because I got frustrated and told him to do his job after 6 weeks of zero instruction. I ended up dropping out of college because I couldn't even do the remedial math courses.

you know it gives wrong answers confidently all the time right? hope ur looking up stuff on wikipwdia or some thing

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

Nonsense posted:

Trump will make gas .80 again

my dad still thinks that 9-11 is what made gas cost more than a dollar. on that day he was frantically calling me (at home, no cell phone then lol) and telling me to go fill up my car

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007

ty slumfrog :)

Goa Tse-tung posted:

for nearly all basic math questions it can explain the process correctly, that’s not an issue.

asking it to solve some complicated integral for you isn’t going to work, but asking it to explain integration by parts will work just fine, and as pointed out by the person you quoted it can be asked to explain it in a variety of different but consistent ways.

Apr 7, 2003

fits my needs posted:

you know it gives wrong answers confidently all the time right? hope ur looking up stuff on wikipwdia or some thing

This poo poo is essentially a chat bot that googles stuff for you and everyone's losing their mind over it lol

Apr 7, 2003

I asked ChatGPT to tell me how to do a certain thing in a language i work in and it regurgitated a tutorial from Oracle's website verbatim

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

fits my needs posted:

"but it's better"

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Goa Tse-tung posted:

fits my needs posted:

Checking its accuracy once i understand fundamentals is part of the process. You can also have it independently answer the same questions multiple times and verify responses with calculators.

On some of the more advanced stuff I've tried it will give wildly different answers, none of which are correct, but asking for non-solution explanations of its solution process is also pretty informative.

It's a lot more complex of a system than just requesting a number thst may or may not be correct. It's the same reason math teachers don't just want a result they want you to show your math.

Apr 7, 2003

streamlining stack overflow by replacing the smelly nerd who posts answers to my questions

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

This poo poo is essentially a chat bot that googles stuff for you and everyone's losing their mind over it lol

The New Yorker had a whole piece on how it's functions like a very fancy auto-complete search engine but no one seems to be paying attention to that.

https://www.newyorker.com/tech/annals-of-technology/chatgpt-is-a-blurry-jpeg-of-the-web

I do wonder if this is how most people end up working anyway, though, so maybe this is the future. It's cheaper to be iterative than truly creative.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Goa Tse-tung posted:

what's really great is that once chatgpt takes over a profession by doing 80% of the work correctly at 5% of the cost, no one will be able to tell which 20% are wrong. :nsa:

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

my dad still thinks that 9-11 is what made gas cost more than a dollar. on that day he was frantically calling me (at home, no cell phone then lol) and telling me to go fill up my car

Gas wasn't even below a dollar back then. Remember in 2000 when everyone on the right was criticizing Al Gore for proposing that we release from the SPR to help keep gas prices down?

Apr 7, 2003

Eric Cantonese posted:

The New Yorker had a whole piece on how it's functions like a very fancy auto-complete search engine but no one seems to be paying attention to that.

https://www.newyorker.com/tech/annals-of-technology/chatgpt-is-a-blurry-jpeg-of-the-web

I do wonder if this is how most people end up working anyway, though, so maybe this is the future. It's cheaper to be iterative than truly creative.

It'll work great for SEO farm content but that was always ever garbage. You're just replacing the human churning out the garbage with a black box churning out the garbage.

"Expert Systems" have been set to replace professionals for something like forty years now.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Expert_system

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt
if what passes for AI today is doing a better job of teaching than our education system that's a pretty massive indictment on that system.

Paulo Friere is worth reading.

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

I work with someone that clearly conned their way into their position, they have none of the skills required to do the work. I would replace them with the very first iteration of ChatGPT without hesitation. the funnier part is this person has more authority to replace me with AI than I do them

Apr 7, 2003

AWWNAW posted:

I work with someone that clearly conned their way into their position, they have none of the skills required to do the work. I would replace them with the very first iteration of ChatGPT without hesitation. the funnier part is this person has more authority to replace me with AI than I do them

lol owned

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

Eric Cantonese posted:

Gas wasn't even below a dollar back then. Remember in 2000 when everyone on the right was criticizing Al Gore for proposing that we release from the SPR to help keep gas prices down?
we've talked about it for 20+ years lol

'dad i was paying more than a dollar in high school'

"only SOMETIMES!!!!"

Apr 7, 2003

Gas was $1.29 a gallon or so in the early 1990s, gas under a buck a gallon in 1997-1998 was an anomaly even back then.

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Penisaurus Sex posted:

if what passes for AI today is doing a better job of teaching than our education system that's a pretty massive indictment on that system.

Paulo Friere is worth reading.

Yeah its not like my last algebra teacher could answer my questions correctly either. She just ranted about liberals and would call me out in front of the class for guessing on questions. She also gave worse grades to "hoes" and never really explained anything. Just another teacher devoting class time to "odd problems on pages 55 and 56."

A sometimes incorrect language model that isn't an rear end in a top hat is probably better than most US teachers. I know I'm making progress in algebra for the first time in my entire life.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Gas was $1.29 a gallon or so in the early 1990s, gas under a buck a gallon in 1997-1998 was an anomaly even back then.

Yeah I remember vividly the last time I saw gas for 0.99, it was in 1998 and it was in some teeny tiny town on the coast that was probably getting gas subsidized by Dagon or something. It was weird enough that both me and my girlfriend were like, "huh, that's odd" as we drove away from the sound of chanting and the endless waves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

not in the heartland, city boy