Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

ever since Havana syndrome rolled around, all the remote viewers' estimations have been off the mark

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

https://twitter.com/molly0xfff/status/1645892165975908352
https://twitter.com/pmarca/status/1633287578383437824
the post being replied to:

mawarannahr has issued a correction as of 06:34 on Apr 12, 2023

multistability
Feb 15, 2014

https://twitter.com/wesleysmorgan/status/1645806796580478977?t=VeT1RhkbrNbvBNPaj0QkHQ&s=19

loving lmao of course he is

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I don't know where else to put this, but I'm watching "Waco: American Apocalypse", a Netflix documentary about the titular siege.

The thing that sticks out to me is that they use a lot of CGI shots interspersed with archival footage, and while my eyes can easily pick out the CGI if it's a broad daylight shot (no people is the tip-off), they also apply a filter in some of the shots: either the green night-vision view, or the black-and-white IR camera like from a Spectre gunship.

And it's trickier in that sense because the "naturally" worse quality of the image means that a loy of the dead giveaways of CGI are occluded.

Anyway if anyone wants to drop parapolitical sources on Ruby Ridge or Waco, feel free.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
1. The skeevy angle is that they have two women who survived the compound, who appear to continue to be believers in the cause to this day, and they relate their experiences, and for the most part it provides an interesting contrast in viewpoint so that it's not just all about the Feds, but at one point, they talk about Koresh having sex with all the women in the compound and abusing the kids, and the women at this point are used to justify to the camera and to the audience, why this was acceptable.

2. What the hell they brought Abrams tanks to the siege

3. This isn't as bad as the other Netflix docus I've watched (especially the execrable MH370 docu) where there's a very latent agenda. At least it's just a boilerplate government story. If anything there's a couple of bits where they tell how the FBI/Hostage Rescue Team were acting like dicks and were hamstringing the efforts of the negotiators. And indeed the negotiators are forced out entirely in favor of the FBI taking a hardline approach.

4. The docu alleges that the FBI got so impatient that they railroaded Janet Reno into approving their plan to throw tear gas into the compound (which they insist was "not an assault" as they drive a Bradley into the walls)

5. The FBI gets to cover their rear end and assert that they had nothing to do with the compound being set on fire.

6. Oh motherfucker they do a cinematic universe sequel drop into McVeigh and Oklahoma City

What an incredible gently caress up

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

"McVeigh was just mad about Ruby Ridge and Waco, nothing else to see here, stop looking no why are you still looking" is a good narrative, I told a family member recently that I'm a Tim McVeigh truther, do recommend doing this.

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo
Tim McVey truther :colbert:

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Out of curiosity, how is the doc absolving the feds of responsibility for the fire? Even if we accept Koresh ordered his followers to start it, them going out in a literal blaze of glory is a foreseeable consequence of giving a millenarian doomsday cult the apocalyptic confrontation with the forces of evil that they want. Who actually set the fire is immaterial.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Azathoth posted:

Out of curiosity, how is the doc absolving the feds of responsibility for the fire? Even if we accept Koresh ordered his followers to start it, them going out in a literal blaze of glory is a foreseeable consequence of giving a millenarian doomsday cult the apocalyptic confrontation with the forces of evil that they want. Who actually set the fire is immaterial.

it takes three of the FBI talking heads they had and has them make statements that they didn't have anything to do with the fire, then cuts to one of the Branch Davidian survivors saying they did, then cuts back to one of the FBI guys saying he's a liar, then he explains that they detected four fires starting simultaneously, and the doc has the fake IR cam showing what he meant.

I guess what I meant more was that the framing was crafted to emphasize it very strongly

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

was is Koresh that was called Mr Retardo as a kid, or was that some other cult leader?

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo
lol

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

RandolphCarter posted:

was is Koresh that was called Mr Retardo as a kid, or was that some other cult leader?

that was me actualy

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

That's fair. I guess I've always hated the overall framing of the blame as "welp they burned themselves not our fault" as somehow absolving the feds in any way. Even if the feds were telling the absolute truth, it doesn't exonerate them one bit. They had religious experts screaming at them that their heavy handed bullshit was playing into the apocalyptic expectations of the group.

Even without that guidance though, it was painfully obvious that they were dealing with the group equivalent of a suicidal person with a hostage, and they decided the best approach was to constantly antagonize them, then rush them when they got sick of waiting. It doesn't ultimately matter who set the fires because the feds chose a set of actions that meant there was always gonna be a bloodbath.

Which action and by who that set the events in motion doesn't matter, and focusing on who started the fire often comes at the cost of ignoring all the other figurative fire starting the feds did that led up to that point.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

RandolphCarter posted:

yep, that was him

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

please, my father was Doctor Retardo. you can call me retard.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah the other thing the doc tries to do is to make it sound like the only reason nobody left the compound was because they were enthralled by Koresh, and not, like, because they could see that anyone that left the compound was thrown in jail, or that they feared getting shot as soon as they stepped out, or that there's a literal tank on their front door.

Good post, Az.

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

i remember waco: the rules of engagement being a more anti-fed viewpoint

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006
doctor hilarious

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

RandolphCarter posted:

Domo arigato mister retardo

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Azathoth posted:

Which action and by who that set the events in motion doesn't matter, and focusing on who started the fire often comes at the cost of ignoring all the other figurative fire starting the feds did that led up to that point.

Yeah that kind of focus obfuscating analysis is a running theme in trying to examine events like this critically too.

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006
Leonard Bernstein

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

I read some accounts of branch Davidians (not related to the assault, just day to day life) and they were terrifying, because

1) the believers come across as completely regular American idiots. I guess I had a cult member stereotype and was thinking only a certain kind of desperate person was vulnerable, but no

2) they didn’t even seem to like David Koresh. It did not take a mega charismatic figure to lead the cult, just a loser with gumption.

in combination the impression I got was “I just want to live my life, but drat it, Jesus Christ reincarnated and he needs me. and I don’t even like the guy!”

it’s like there is just a button in the brain that can be pushed.

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo

Best Friends posted:

Well I'm sure glad there hasn't been any experimentation on this.

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
doctor not flame retardo

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
actually my original family surname was Retardo but they changed it to look more American.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Best Friends posted:

I read some accounts of branch Davidians (not related to the assault, just day to day life) and they were terrifying, because

1) the believers come across as completely regular American idiots. I guess I had a cult member stereotype and was thinking only a certain kind of desperate person was vulnerable, but no

2) they didn’t even seem to like David Koresh. It did not take a mega charismatic figure to lead the cult, just a loser with gumption.

in combination the impression I got was “I just want to live my life, but drat it, Jesus Christ reincarnated and he needs me. and I don’t even like the guy!”

There's a solid reason that most Christian denominations don't accept that prophets currently exist or could exist in the future. Once you have a belief structure that accepts that one day someone from your community might stand up and say that last night God spoke to them, things can get real bad real quick even if the person is well meaning, and things go off the rails in a heartbeat if the person is a manipulative psycho like Koresh.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
The HRT guy in the waco doc was a complete psychopath just itching to kill poo poo

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Futanari Damacy posted:

Tim McVey truther :colbert:

Oy Veigh

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I don’t see how it’s controversial that tear gas canisters could start a fire, it’s pretty common with all types of smoke grenade. They’re supposed to combust slowly, but when, for whatever reason, they go up all at once they really go up. Instead of being released over x minutes the filler ignites all at once, it’s pretty intense.

e: Though that still doesn’t explain not attempting to extinguish the fire or save lives. I guess they maintain they were still being shot at?

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.
Just thinking about (IIRC) this FBI dossier talking about how McVeigh was bi and was getting a blowie from some dude but turned him off when he started talking about Waco during the BJ.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

ContinuityNewTimes posted:

The HRT guy in the waco doc was a complete psychopath just itching to kill poo poo

wasn't expecting trans representation to make an appearance here

cat botherer posted:

Just thinking about (IIRC) this FBI dossier talking about how McVeigh was bi and was getting a blowie from some dude but turned him off when he started talking about Waco during the BJ.

broke: thinking about baseball
woke: talking about waco

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Frosted Flake posted:

I don’t see how it’s controversial that tear gas canisters could start a fire, it’s pretty common with all types of smoke grenade. They’re supposed to combust slowly, but when, for whatever reason, they go up all at once they really go up. Instead of being released over x minutes the filler ignites all at once, it’s pretty intense.

e: Though that still doesn’t explain not attempting to extinguish the fire or save lives. I guess they maintain they were still being shot at?

That they didn't attempt to flee or otherwise put out the fire or do anything but sit there and wait to die, at least so far as the reports go, is the most compelling evidence that Koresh ordered the fires be set. It's all interpretation, and like I said before, the FBI is guilty regardless of who set it, but given their belief systems and the totality of it, I do think Koresh decided that they weren't gonna be taken alive and ordered them to set it.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
I think I saw a video with a Waco survivor recently. Maybe it was on Breaking Points? He said the Netflix show was trash, iirc. Seemed open to the idea that his first person recollection could be incorrect, and understood just being present doesn't mean he was 100% in the know, so he spent a lot of time researching the events to corroborate information.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

cat botherer posted:

disinfo written by Larry A. Potts

next!

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
ive heard of blowing a guy in a federal building but that tim guy took it a bit too far imho

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
Found it:

https://youtu.be/rTb8b6WXcMk

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

A Bakers Cousin posted:

ive heard of blowing a guy in a federal building but that tim guy took it a bit too far imho

hey it's important that people feel free to experiment and express themselves. eventually he realized he was into foot

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

ram dass in hell posted:

hey it's important that people feel free to experiment and express themselves. eventually he realized he was into foot

:golfclap:

*puffs a pipe and slaps the table happily*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

multistability
Feb 15, 2014
https://usrtk.org/risky-research/ebola-outbreak-origins/

quote:

A U.S.government-supported research laboratory in Kenema, Sierra Leone has come under scrutiny as a possible source of the epidemic’s origin. This laboratory has been operated by the U.S. nonprofit Viral Hemorrhagic Fever Consortium (VHFC) since 2010.

Key claims:

It is a mystery how Zaire Ebola, which requires direct contact with an infected host, traveled some 3,000 km from the Congo basin – where all prior outbreaks have occurred – without leaving any trace on its way.

Genome sequencing and phylogenetic analysis have shown that the 2014 outbreak resulted from a single jump into humans (rather than multiple jumps common in animal-to-human spillover).

Persistent rumors in West Africa linked the disease to the Kenema laboratory.

There is a long colonial history of Western medicine and geopolitical interests using Africa as a site for medical experimentation.

The VHFC had received tens of millions of dollars from the U.S. government to study viral hemorrhagic fevers, a biodefense interest that received a boon of funding following the anthrax attacks in 2001.

Ebola was an established research interest for members of the VHFC leadership.

A few months before the outbreak, the VHFC removed from its website an article about “major advances” in Ebola research.

VHFC scientists have made conflicting statements about whether the Kenema lab conducted Ebola research. After years of denying that Ebola research was conducted at the lab, including a 2022 article by virologist Robert Garry that said “we did not have EBOV in our laboratory and therefore could not have released or engineered it,” virologist Kristian Andersen said in an interview that they “had been studying Ebola in Kenema in Sierra Leone.”

Inspections by the WHO, CDC and MSF found many biosafety lapses at the Kenema lab, both in the Tulane-operated lab and in another lab operated by Metabiota, Inc., which shared the space.A researcher there is quoted to have said: “Certainly we have less safety, less containment, but we do have the ability to do a lot more in the same amount of time.”

A senior advisor to the Sierra Leone Government accused the lab of misreporting cases and “messing up the whole region”.

On August 7, 2014, in the midst of the outbreak, the U.S. government cut funding to the lab.

A couple of thoughts:

Kristian Andersen and Robert Garry are two of the authors of the "Proximal Origin" paper dreamed up by Fauci in a secretive conference call at the start of the covid pandemic, which attempted to debunk rumours of a lab origin of SARS-CoV-2. It is scientifically worthless, basically just propaganda

Metabiota, gently caress where do we start. Metabiota has a contract to run biolabs in Ukraine and Georgia through the US DoD's DTRA programme and received more than $500,000 from an investment fund co-founded by Hunter Biden called Rosemont Seneca. Even "Politifact" admits this is true btw

Metabiota's founder is a guy called Nathan Wolfe, an associate of Jeffrey Epstein and Ghislaine Maxwell (see I'm making it directly thread-relevant). Wolfe is a co-founder of Maxwell's "charity" TerraMar who also sat on the board of EcoHealth Alliance at one point. Anyway in 2011 Wolfe wrote a book called "The Viral Storm: The Dawn of a New Pandemic Age", in the acknowledgements section of the book he gives thanks to none other than Epstein and Boris Nikolic, Bill Gates's bodyguard and executor of Epstein's will, for some reason

Why do the same names keep loving popping up with this poo poo!!!