Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Akumos
Sep 10, 2006
I'm pretty positive the playtest is going to happen because Nexon hasn't followed up with a formal lawsuit, but that doesn't mean the game isn't doing to be in court hell sometime afterwards for months. Nexon doesn't really give a poo poo about stopping their playtest, they care about stopping the release and making a settlement, or possibly stalling the game out or crushing the company so they can just make P3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
If it was gonna happen, wouldn't it be in their best interest to post something about it in advance though? The amount of videos creators would put out, the stories that would be out, the news would get an absolute poo poo ton of people hyped for this weekend.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007
The 14 days from DMCA filing was yesterday. If Steam was going to put Dark and Darker back up, by virtue of Nexon not suing Ironmace, it would have happened already.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Also it wouldn't be in Ironmace's best interest. Every asset you give the public access to, every thing you show off, becomes evidence in the case. There's a reason company's go silent during lawsuits. I'd love to be surprised but it would be pretty foolish to go forward with the playtest.

Akumos
Sep 10, 2006

Kchama posted:

The 14 days from DMCA filing was yesterday. If Steam was going to put Dark and Darker back up, by virtue of Nexon not suing Ironmace, it would have happened already.

The 14 day rule is from IM doing a counterclaim from what I read, which would be either on the 14th or 15th. They are likely being quiet while they wait and see what Nexon does so they don't promise something they can't 100% do, but I do believe they are going to try. I think the positives of doing another playtest outweigh the negatives for them. They need more good PR after that one employee hosed up and to make people forget about it, and if they genuinely believe they are innocent and their game is 100% theirs, they would have no reason not to do it I guess. It will be a lot easier for them to beg on a gofundme if they get sued right after this playtest when the game is freshly on the mind of everyone who wants it.

Akumos fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Apr 11, 2023

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
Benefits far outweigh the negatives. Whatever Nexon is going with, they already have. But it shows everyone interested in the game there is a chance, renews interest, gets that gofundme going again, etc.

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

ShowTime posted:

If it was gonna happen, wouldn't it be in their best interest to post something about it in advance though? The amount of videos creators would put out, the stories that would be out, the news would get an absolute poo poo ton of people hyped for this weekend.

I honestly don't expect it to happen, but the sheer shock factor of it just going live without any forewarning would massively boost the news push far beyond "hey guys next week the next round of testing goes live, see you then!" would do. Especially given the pending legal action.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Akumos posted:

The 14 day rule is from IM doing a counterclaim from what I read, which would be either on the 14th or 15th. They are likely being quiet while they wait and see what Nexon does so they don't promise something they can't 100% do, but I do believe they are going to try. I think the positives of doing another playtest outweigh the negatives for them. They need more good PR after that one employee hosed up and to make people forget about it, and if they genuinely believe they are innocent and their game is 100% theirs, they would have no reason not to do it I guess. It will be a lot easier for them to beg on a gofundme if they get sued right after this playtest when the game is freshly on the mind of everyone who wants it.

I thought the 26th was when they counterclaimed, as that's when they posted that response thing on Discord and announced it. The DMCA notice itself was served on the 22nd by the date on the notice that Nexon put up.

Akumos
Sep 10, 2006
I think their official counterclaim was somewhere between 29-31st, because that's when they were actually posting the files. Who knows. Sometime between today and the 15th we'll hear something. If that thing isn't "Nexon has officially sued us" then the playtest will likely go forward, probably in hopes of attracting investors to defend them in court by seeing the numbers, which I expect will be even more massive this time. If that fails.. gofundme time.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Akumos posted:

I think their official counterclaim was somewhere between 29-31st, because that's when they were actually posting the files. Who knows. Sometime between today and the 15th we'll hear something. If that thing isn't "Nexon has officially sued us" then the playtest will likely go forward, probably in hopes of attracting investors to defend them in court by seeing the numbers, which I expect will be even more massive this time. If that fails.. gofundme time.

You know thinking about it, it isn't clear that they've counterclaimed at all. They don't have to, technically, though they can't get their game back on Steam until they do. It just delays Nexon needing to sue or not.

As for the investors, well... I'd be shocked if they got any since all of their investors (except HYBE IM) abandoned them officially when the DMCA happened. If they were gonna help them they woulda stuck with them, I think. That's why they had the GoFundMe ready that the one employee got antsy about and started early.

Akumos
Sep 10, 2006

Kchama posted:

You know thinking about it, it isn't clear that they've counterclaimed at all. They don't have to, technically, though they can't get their game back on Steam until they do. It just delays Nexon needing to sue or not.

As for the investors, well... I'd be shocked if they got any since all of their investors (except HYBE IM) abandoned them officially when the DMCA happened. If they were gonna help them they woulda stuck with them, I think. That's why they had the GoFundMe ready that the one employee got antsy about and started early.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if they found some shady investors from a different country or even in the US that just want to make money. If they think there is any chance to get through court, they would invest in a huge game with potential without much staff to deal with, especially if they get a cut of the company.

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

I, too, am praying that jeff beezass decides to bankroll ironmace and give them absolute creative freedom without turning it into microtransaction p2w hell

you might say it's a real monkey's paw of a wish

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Tempora Mutantur posted:

I, too, am praying that jeff beezass decides to bankroll ironmace and give them absolute creative freedom without turning it into microtransaction p2w hell

you might say it's a real monkey's paw of a wish

It's okay, they already scrapped it being free to play. It's now B2P.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
People are thirsting hard for this. They are talking about petitioning Tim Sweeney to save Ironmace with Epic Games money. They are still just like "playtest is happening guys, are you as excited as I am, here's a clip of my ranger from the last playtest, btw what are you gonna play, how long are you gonna play, did you take time off from work to have enough time to play because it's still happening guys, they never posted it wasn't happening so that must mean its happening, also Graysun posted :egg: :100: :wave: :zzz: in Discord at exactly 11:12 PM which translates to its happening so make sure you get enough sleep to be able to play".

The people that play this game are like 2 steps away from getting addicted to methamphetamines.

Duderclese
Aug 30, 2003
I'm the gay younger brother of UnkleBoB and Buddha Stalin

ShowTime posted:

The people that play this game are like 2 steps away from getting addicted to methamphetamines.

Bold of you to assume we're not already addicted to methamphetamines.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

ShowTime posted:

People are thirsting hard for this. They are talking about petitioning Tim Sweeney to save Ironmace with Epic Games money. They are still just like "playtest is happening guys, are you as excited as I am, here's a clip of my ranger from the last playtest, btw what are you gonna play, how long are you gonna play, did you take time off from work to have enough time to play because it's still happening guys, they never posted it wasn't happening so that must mean its happening, also Graysun posted :egg: :100: :wave: :zzz: in Discord at exactly 11:12 PM which translates to its happening so make sure you get enough sleep to be able to play".

Reminds me of the long gap between the Elden Ring reveal trailer and the gameplay trailer where the subreddit went so insane they started coming up with a ton of fake lore for the game.

One more day!

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
Leaving work early tomorrow just in case, I'm not counting on a release though. Thinking they'll announce it being delayed

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
Where the gently caress is it!!!

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

:coolfish:

Akumos
Sep 10, 2006
the playtest is gonna happen for sure, graysun is acting way too weird on disc

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
this graysun guy reminds me of that Abandoned dev

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
Yea this is exactly the wrong type of behavior from a dev. He's acting like a teenager, or like his average dark and darker fan

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
this is super cringe poo poo, jesus

just give me the loving game or an announcement about the game

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
Now he is playing Midnight City on Spotify, and in Korea Midnight is in about 30 minutes.

The Discord is just spamming HOLD THE LINE now, like, thats the only thing being posted and it's just constant. Thousands of people have nothing better to do but spam that for hours.

Akumos
Sep 10, 2006

ShowTime posted:

Now he is playing Midnight City on Spotify, and in Korea Midnight is in about 30 minutes.

The Discord is just spamming HOLD THE LINE now, like, thats the only thing being posted and it's just constant. Thousands of people have nothing better to do but spam that for hours.

Everyone on this forum is mostly 30-40+, the discord is full of bored teenagers and college kids trying to play the next hype game all their streamers loved.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
Some streamers are starting to stream and follow the Discord, i'm pretty sure they are just coping, but the rumor is they can do the playtest at Midnight in Korea, but i'm sure that's just copium. I don't get why a dev wouldn't just say anything. Instead it's this some what childish leading everyone on.

Just be a proper game company and announce it.

Akumos
Sep 10, 2006
Initially they had to take a wait and see approach to see if Nexon sued, but I think they are just rolling with the community hype now.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
The Final Countdown just started playing, Midnight is coming up, i'm inclined to believe it's happening because no dev would actually do this and it not happen. Sooooo

Plan your weekend I guess.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
IT'S HAPPENING

Thank you for your patience. We apologize for the radio silence. Unfortunately, due to our current situation we must be careful.

Rest assured that we are working around the clock to safeguard the continuance of Dark and Darker. Unfortunately, due to the complexities of our situation, especially across international lines, it is taking time to resolve the Steam situation. In order for us to keep our promise to our fans we’ve had to go old school this time.

To participate in the Alpha #5 Playtest please download the game client through our torrent link below.

magnet:?xt=urn:btih:dbef5dea789992fc174f245e1c4df4a1ef34d1f1&dn=Dark%20and%20Darker%20A5%20Installer&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Ftracker.openbittorrent.com%3A80%2Fannounce&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Ftracker.opentrackr.org%3A1337%2Fannounce

DO NOT GET THE TORRENT FROM ANY OTHER SOURCES, AS WE CAN NOT GUARANTEE THE INTEGRITY OF ANY OTHER LINKS! All future patches will also be distributed in this manner, and you should ONLY GET THE LINKS FROM OUR OFFICIAL DISCORD ANNOUNCEMENT CHANNEL.

Unfortunately, due to compliance with the Korean game rating regulations, we are unable to service this playtest in the Korea region. We are deeply sorry to our fans here and will do our best to include all regions in the future.

We apologize to our global fans as we were unable to complete the localizations in time for this test and had to remove them from the game.

All future news about this playtest will be communicated only through this Discord channel and our official Twitter account at @IronmaceGames. Please note that all other twitter accounts are NOT official IRONMACE accounts. We hope to see you in the dungeons until the 19th!

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
sounds sketchy as gently caress, I dunno. I'll let others go first with that

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
What's sketchy about it? You think he is installing malware? that's the official dev

Someone wanna start a Discord we can use, or have an existing one, in case we wanna play together?

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from
it's still a little sus that they're distributing through torrents instead of an official platform like steam

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
at least in the crypto community there's been more than enough stories of discord accounts being hacked and plugging sketchy links that it's plausible

I'm watching guys on Twitch downloading the torrent live so we'll see how that goes lol

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

Arrrthritis posted:

it's still a little sus that they're distributing through torrents instead of an official platform like steam

In what way? This is genuinely confusing to me.

They can't do anything that would work in Korea, because of the lawsuit. This is the workaround.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

CharlestonJew posted:

at least in the crypto community there's been more than enough stories of discord accounts being hacked and plugging sketchy links that it's plausible

I'm watching guys on Twitch downloading the torrent live so we'll see how that goes lol

But it's from Ironmace. It's from the man guy. This isn't just someone posting a torrent.

Dystopia Barbarian
Dec 25, 2022

by vyelkin
Download done in just under an hour. See you all in the dungeons!

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

ShowTime posted:

But it's from Ironmace. It's from the man guy. This isn't just someone posting a torrent.

I'm just saying, it's not outside the realm of possibility some dude just phished the ironmace guy's account and posted a sketchy torrent. Probably not, but entirely possible

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

lmao I was right. Faith rewarded.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

CharlestonJew posted:

I'm just saying, it's not outside the realm of possibility some dude just phished the ironmace guy's account and posted a sketchy torrent. Probably not, but entirely possible

It's not just him, the entire dev team is there and posting. If that had happened, it would have been noticed immediately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Doubters vacate!