Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

thrawn527 posted:

The bulk of Last Week Tonight, the main story, is always put on YouTube anyway.

Also, any time I search for it, the full episode is also always up on some random channel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
so what happens to current hbo subscriptions? any reason to hang on to them like grandfathering, or is it better to just cancel to see what happens next?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Saw someone make a pretty cogent point regarding the HP remake, that WB has spent a lot of money on theme parks and merch with a specific style so there's no way the remake actually looks any different from the movies.

If JK wasn't involved I could see it being interesting to have a chance to adjust things so that it fits together better (like introducing the Deathly Hallows way earlier and maybe actually talking about the whole wandlore thing that the conclusion depends upon)

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

kliras posted:

so what happens to current hbo subscriptions? any reason to hang on to them like grandfathering, or is it better to just cancel to see what happens next?

HBO and Discovery + accounts will be automatically migrated. They said some people might have to reverify but most won't notice.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

zoux posted:

HBO and Discovery + accounts will be automatically migrated. They said some people might have to reverify but most won't notice.

At the same basic price? Like, I'm not gonna be automatically bumped up to this Ultimate Ad-Free thing, am I?

I'm probably gonna cancel at some point, but I'm not sure yet.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

thrawn527 posted:

At the same basic price? Like, I'm not gonna be automatically bumped up to this Ultimate Ad-Free thing, am I?

I'm probably gonna cancel at some point, but I'm not sure yet.

Not sure:

https://twitter.com/azalben/status/1646211893885911046

Also I was incorrect, disco+ people won't be auto switched, as to not confuse that audience by offering them watchable, competently made scripted programs to confuse and anger them

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

secretly best girl posted:

Nope. Literally any order works with the only thing I'd suggest as a hard line being "the final two are Once Upon a Time into Fall Out".

thank you kindly!

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

muscles like this! posted:

WB has spent a lot of money on theme parks

UNIVERSAL has spent a lot of money on theme parks.

Now, granted they pay Warner Brothers for the licensing so it's within Warner Brother's interest to not devalue that. However, they don't have a direct stake in the theme park attractions. Universal does.

Warner's take is also a fixed annual payment from Universal, doesn't depend on foot traffic to Universal Studios (no percentage of the door), and is locked in until 2029.

So, Warner is getting paid for the next 6 years regardless of what they do. They may have interest in having universal renew beyond 2029, but their leverage there is that Universal has dedicated huge swaths of the park to HP now and it would be very costly to convert it to something else.

The attractions aren't just style specific, they are actor specific. So any retread of the same stories with anyone new is going to affect the perception of the park attractions.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Apr 12, 2023

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Is Steven Conrad still writing/producing Dunk and Egg?

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Is grrm still writing duncin egg?

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Is grrm still writing duncin egg?
The "She Wolf of Winterfell" isn't finished yet. And the sequel (the "village hero") isn't even started. He never learns.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
extremely funny to imagine this, but man, the actors are in for a lot, and wb had better hire the best loving publicists in the world to help them navigate all the questions they'll get in interviews for the entire duration of this

https://twitter.com/shaun_vids/status/1646241477662474250

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Looks like they are doing a grace period at least.

quote:

Current HBO Max subscribers will keep their existing HBO Max plan features for at least 6 months after Max launches.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

So am I understanding it correctly that you have to pay $19.99 for 4K?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

kliras posted:

extremely funny to imagine this, but man, the actors are in for a lot, and wb had better hire the best loving publicists in the world to help them navigate all the questions they'll get in interviews for the entire duration of this

https://twitter.com/shaun_vids/status/1646241477662474250

I dunno how controversial she is "in the real world" I don't think most people know or care about her bigotry. Now, every entertainment journalist in the world is online enough to know about the discourse around JKR and they are going to push that angle hard, which means it will filter down somewhat into mainstream discourse, but my feeling is that HBO is going to develop some sort of canned answer for cast/producers to recite when this question comes up, remember that WB is about to, somehow, release the Flash movie, which is led by what seems to be a psychotic kidnapper? so I'm not sure how much of an issue Rowlings BS is going to be to your normie person. It's gonna depend on a lot of stuff. I think a lot of people are going to be disappointed by how well the show does, and if it does fail it'll be because of IP problems rather than JK Rowling problems. IMO.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

MarcusSA posted:

So am I understanding it correctly that you have to pay $19.99 for 4K?

Yes.

So 25% increase that gives you nothing new (Discovery content may actually be a net negative).

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

bull3964 posted:

Yes.

So 25% increase that gives you nothing new (Discovery content may actually be a net negative).

lol god drat.

zoux posted:

I dunno how controversial she is "in the real world" I don't think most people know or care about her bigotry.

This is absolutely correct.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Speaking of Max:

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1646207275088986141

loving WHY

EDIT:

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1646250444077801472

:lmao:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Did they say what happens with folks who currently get HBO Max as part of their cable subscription? My folks get it through Comcast and I piggyback off that.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

zoux posted:

I dunno how controversial she is "in the real world" I don't think most people know or care about her bigotry.

It'll do fine, most people don't care, and I'm sure WB has paid someone a shitload of money to tell them that. But I also can't see her bigotry becoming less relevant.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

lol I saw this but didn't post it because I suspected it was fake because OH MY loving GOD C'MON

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

it should’ve been more bushworld adventures :colbert:

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

This is a surprise.

quote:

Syfy has renewed the hit original sci-fi series “The Ark” for a second season following strong ratings for the series.

The first season has reached 6.5 million viewers across all platforms, according to Nielsen and Syfy, with the series premiere pulling in the best total viewership numbers since “Resident Alien” in January 2021.

The series teams two of the architects of the “Stargate” franchise – that film’s co-writer Dean Devlin and the SG-1 series co-creator Jonathan Glassner.

The pair, who previously teamed on The CW’s “The Outpost” series, serve as co-showrunners here on a story that takes place aboard the Ark One, an interstellar vessel carrying humanity’s last hope for survival a century in our future.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

GreenNight posted:

This is a surprise.

It's slowly improved. I still wouldn't classify it as good by any metric, but it's better than the pilot

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

GreenNight posted:

This is a surprise.

YES!

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Did they say what happens with folks who currently get HBO Max as part of their cable subscription? My folks get it through Comcast and I piggyback off that.

It stays the same.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.

IRQ posted:

It'll do fine, most people don't care, and I'm sure WB has paid someone a shitload of money to tell them that. But I also can't see her bigotry becoming less relevant.

Yeah when the game came out it was really clear a lot of people don't care/didn't know about Rowling. But an ongoing series is just going to be a ticking bomb on people answering a question.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

theflyingexecutive posted:

Is Steven Conrad still writing/producing Dunk and Egg?

Not to my knowledge. Press release had a bunch of other people attached under Ryan Condol.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

A lot of daft people are trotting out the old ‘I’m just gonna go back to piracy’ line following the announcements.

To be precise, they are daft for ever leaving the one content delivery system that has always cared most for them in the first place.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
There was a brief time when streaming was better than file sharing. Now file sharing sites are just as simple as clicking the show you want and it starts streaming. I have a lot of friends who "don't know how" to do that stuff and I just point em at whatever the current easiest free streaming site is, they can watch on their drat phones if they want. No need to explain a torrent or media player ever again.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Been loooking forward to The Sympathizer for ages. Super pumped for that. Shame it's not out til 2024 though.

Is the Kate Winslet show a made up country in a fictionalised setting or is it historical?

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Real "please clap" energy.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

So who is the target audience of the Harry Potter series? The first couple movies were definitely just straight up kids movies, but I have a hard time imagining the series doing the same. Is this going to be a show that's targeted towards older millenials and stars a bunch of ten-year old schoolchildren?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

wizardofloneliness posted:

Is this going to be a show that's targeted towards older millenials and stars a bunch of ten-year old schoolchildren?

Almost certainly. I'm an older millennial (three months from turning 39), and the Harry Potter series was huge in my age demographic. And a lot of folks my age already have had their kids, who will be right around the same age that we were when the movies started coming out.

(Not me, though. I was never a big Potter fan and I only saw a few of the movies because my ex-wife was obsessed with them.)

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
I don't know how many of you have kids, but I don't think you guys realise that Harry Potter is still MASSIVE.

There is as many kids dressed as Hogwarts students at primary school dress ups as there is superheroes.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Looten Plunder posted:

Is the Kate Winslet show a made up country in a fictionalised setting or is it historical?

Fictional, or at least the press releases have always been super vague about the location so I'm assuming fictional based on that.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

gently caress Max, shoot Schmicago straight into my veins

edit: Never thought I'd be grateful someone dragged me to Pippin once

Hawkperson fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Apr 13, 2023

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1646201610471718931

See to me, ad free is ad free, there is no more ad free than zero ads, which is what ad free means.

It’s like… how much more ad-free could this be?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

What about 4K with ads?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

I can’t get over how low effort that logo is.