Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elem7
Apr 12, 2003
der
Dinosaur Gum
Telework existed long before COVID though, both the minimum 2 days in the office per pay period level and full remote, 50% max telework would be turning the clock back 20 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
https://bestplacestowork.org/rankings/?view=overall&size=large&category=leadership&y=21&

WOOOO we made it y'all

buck naked last

Subcomponent I work in: 421st out of 432

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

Seems like an odd and extreme reversal on telework policies, especially after wanting the fedgov to be a model employer just a month ago.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2023/03/16/biden-budget-2024-model-employer-government/

Nutella
Jun 27, 2005

"And the meek shall inherit the earth"

GD_American posted:

https://bestplacestowork.org/rankings/?view=overall&size=large&category=leadership&y=21&

WOOOO we made it y'all

buck naked last

But we could be dead last working at OIG! I have 20 months left till MRA and I'm sprinting out the door. I have loved my career but it's been destroyed by fake commissioners, bad funding decisions and outdated policies. I can't even get a new headset, I've been using the same one for 10 years and my manager handed me some super glue when I asked for a new one.

LyonsLions
Oct 10, 2008

I'm only using 18% of my full power !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

kathmandu posted:

Just heard a rumor from my AFGE Local’s president that Biden will issue an EO tomorrow limiting telework to 5 days per pay period. Well, poo poo.

How would that affect existing telework agreements? like existing before Covid?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Rakeris posted:

Seems like an odd and extreme reversal on telework policies, especially after wanting the fedgov to be a model employer just a month ago.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2023/03/16/biden-budget-2024-model-employer-government/

"No remote work at all" is exactly the model his supporters want.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

LyonsLions posted:

I don't think there's any way to know that without seeing the EO.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Nutella posted:

But we could be dead last working at OIG!

Not true. This year, OIG is 431st out of 432.

killer crane
Dec 30, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

USCIS recently propped up a "virtual service center" without a single physical location, and they're hiring like mad. All of the job postings are remote eligible (though they have to be within a certain distance to a current service center). It'll be hilarious if this EO comes out and completely scuttles the whole thing.

And also hilarious that USCIS and the union were just today touting the new collective bargaining agreement, which ensures telework flexibility, and remote work... Just lol. There's not enough room in the current buildings to house everyone on a 5 5 telework.

Delorence Fickle
Feb 21, 2011

GD_American posted:

WOOOO we made it y'all

buck naked last

How in the hell did SSA beat out DHS in the worst places to work when DHS has TSA and CBP?

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

killer crane posted:

USCIS recently propped up a "virtual service center" without a single physical location, and they're hiring like mad. All of the job postings are remote eligible (though they have to be within a certain distance to a current service center). It'll be hilarious if this EO comes out and completely scuttles the whole thing.

And also hilarious that USCIS and the union were just today touting the new collective bargaining agreement, which ensures telework flexibility, and remote work... Just lol. There's not enough room in the current buildings to house everyone on a 5 5 telework.
Yeah my building was out of space before the pandemic and they have hired another 75 people since then, most of whom would not even know where to sit if they had to come in more than once every few weeks. I cannot imagine any change to policies would force agencies to roll back their plans to like 2005, though I guess you never know!

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

kathmandu posted:

Just heard a rumor from my AFGE Local’s president that Biden will issue an EO tomorrow limiting telework to 5 days per pay period. Well, poo poo.

Im on 4 right now so...bad for those that are on 5+.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Nothing like getting, "Don't call the cops, bro," from a caller telling me they didn't file a return when I tell them to file an identity theft affidavit.

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

killer crane posted:

My section's going through this too! The solution is to institute hoteling, so on days where nobody's teleworking/calling out, I guess we all just scramble to find someplace to work.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Dr. Quarex posted:

I do not think the president is actually in control of that surely? Why would he not have dealt with it the other way when he was in a fight over it last year? Question mark?
Absolutely he is. An EO is simply the President formally directing agencies to do a thing, which could be anything from an internal policy (such as this) to creating new regulations for something. In this case, the President, being the chief executive of all Executive agencies can direct agencies to limit telework to five days per period (this would not effect Legislative and Judicial employees or government-affiliated orgs like the Federal Reserve). OPM issues minimum requirements for telework (i.e. you must be scheduled to be in-office at least twice per pay period), but everyone from your direct supervisor to the POTUS can require more time scheduled in office.

LyonsLions posted:

Supervisors will likely have to adjust agreements if they fail to meet this. (Assuming it actually happens.)

As far as remote work, this is a separate work status from telework and requires a change to your SF-50 and potentially relocation expenses if there's not an office local to you. Note that if your duty station was never changed to your home, you are a teleworker, not a remote work, even if you're 100% telework.

Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010
There are legislative limits on how much telework can be limited by executive order. I think the 2010 law is the newest but legislation requires the executive to allow telework, "to the maximum extent possible." You'd have a pretty hard time arguing that a requirement for some government workers to be in office more time than prepandemic is allowing telework to the maximum extent possible.

https://www.telework.gov/guidance-legislation/telework-legislation/telework-enhancement-act/

The main reason that telework was not allowed previously was the argument that individual positions could not be performed effectively via telework. The maximum extent possible was not at all. If you've spent the last three years doing the job 100% telework that's not a valid argument anymore. I don't see how an EO requiring 50% in office wouldn't violate the existing legislation.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

As we learned in 2017-2021, the President can break laws and judges can say "you can't break laws" and he will continue to do so anyway, and that was before we had lots of judges who would say this law is unconstitutional because of an English law from 1464.

Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010

Endless Mike posted:

As we learned in 2017-2021, the President can break laws and judges can say "you can't break laws" and he will continue to do so anyway, and that was before we had lots of judges who would say this law is unconstitutional because of an English law from 1464.

From the perspective that anyone can do anything because rules don't matter anymore, sure.

I still don't see Biden signing a blatantly illegal EO that specifies 5 days in office. He's way more likely to sign something wishy-washy full of platitudes with no definitive requirements. They've almost certainly looked at the budget numbers associated with putting everyone back in the office as well and that can not look good.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

To be clear, I really don't think it's happening, given the only place I can find anything about it is a post on the Something Is Aweful forums, just saying that Presidents doing things that are illegal (and one could argue that OPM's two days per pay period is illegal under the same law for the same reasons) isn't particularly new.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Before COVID all my co-workers except me and the new girl were on 4 days/week telework, if that gets eliminated there will be a lot of wailing and gnashing of teeth. But good thing it's just an unsubstantiated rumor, even more unlikely then the rumor that we finally might get GS 12 promotions.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.
I really would wait to see a copy of such an EO in one's actual hands before getting too worked up about it. Some government-wide cap on TW to 5 days per PP would be so massively disruptive to how so many agencies operate -- not just ones that expanded TW during the pandemic, but ones doing lots of TW before the pandemic -- that I would very skeptical of such a thing until I literally held the printed text in my hands.

I mean, could a president go buck wild and release a crazy EO that would radically alter how agencies operate? Sure, look at the Schedule F bullshit from the last administration. But would this administration do it? I'm doubtful.

Fell Fire
Jan 30, 2012

Our union sent out a mass mailer that "an OMB directive will be issued that may greatly affect telework and remote work." We're supposed to have a message about this from the deputy administrator tomorrow. They're scheduling a bunch of meetings on Monday to discuss.

My division, such as it is, only has to be in a couple days a pay period. The people I work most closely with are all fully remote and only one even lives in the state. Other coworkers have supervisors who make them come in three days a week. All that coming into the office does (other than when I go chat with the new hires) is change what seat I'm in when I'm staring at a screen.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
hahahaha hAHAHAHaHAhahahaha

I will hold out hope (did you hear that? I just said I have hope! I never learn?) that USCIS will be minimally impacted since they have been so gung-ho on it for so long.

Or our office director who the whispers say is not a huge fan of telework will see this as his chance to end it, and I will then immediately start applying for every remote/telework job within 3 hours of my home again

killer crane
Dec 30, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

So this?

https://www.whitehouse.gov/wp-content/uploads/2023/04/M-23-15.pdf

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Lmao

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I ain't readin all that, et cetera

I am trying so hard to read it but I have already fallen asleep eight times :(

All I know is I hope this suddenly changes my remote training back to in-person training overnight

Elem7
Apr 12, 2003
der
Dinosaur Gum
Skimmed it, didn't see any hard-fast rules like 50% telework max. A lot of what I saw seemed to emphasize "customer facing" positions and then in other sections "It is the expectation that as a part of these assessments agencies will continue to substantially increase meaningful in-person work at Federal offices, particularly at headquarters and equivalents," which are not what I'd think of as customer facing.

No ones mentioned a thing about this where I work, we're not at all customer facing so I could see this going either way but 100% this is mostly just motivation to update my resume and start blasting out applications to 100% remote positions instead of sticking around where I am, which is just going to hurt my current organization.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Why the gently caress is there a push to get people back to an office. Other than trying to justify keeping levels of bullshit managers around.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Nothing in there was "we're pouring everyone in the office 50% per pay period."

It's a lot of extra bureaucratic speak for evaluating performance metrics to balance operational performance, customer service satisfaction poo poo and recruiting and retention ability. An extension of what's already being done, at least in my office.

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

Suddenly feeling really lucky that my SF-86 just returned, four months after my fellowship would have ended.

Positive adjudication tho, so I've got that going for me. :confuoot:

killer crane
Dec 30, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

DC mayor has been asking Biden to just vacate their nearly empty buildings these agencies are sitting on, cause it's killing businesses around them without the fed employees using them. I'm sure that's happening in other metro areas too.

The whole memo is just telling agencies to either start sending people back to the office pre-pandemic style or justify their expanded remote and telework use with raw data.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

killer crane posted:

DC mayor has been asking Biden to just vacate their nearly empty buildings these agencies are sitting on, cause it's killing businesses around them without the fed employees using them. I'm sure that's happening in other metro areas too.

The whole memo is just telling agencies to either start sending people back to the office pre-pandemic style or justify their expanded remote and telework use with raw data.

This is correct. Our AFGE rep today told me all the local bars are screaming at the agency because they can't make ends meet without the lunch crowd. The entire are is just hemorrhaging restaurants the whole of pandemic at a rate higher than other suburbs in the area (which were already super high). Our agency can't even begin to put people back at HQ because they repatriated a bunch of people from rented buildings over pandemic and now have no place to seat them and no parking if they showed up.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

quote:

Agencies also are reminded that Memorandum M-21-25 instructs that agencies to: (i)
regularly solicit feedback from representatives of local communities as agencies introduce, pilot,
evaluate, and scale changes in their work environment, (ii) assess “impacts of an increasingly
hybrid workforce on local community services and commuting infrastructure and consistency of
demand for Federal facilities throughout the work week,” (iii) account for the impact on local
communities and economies
as a factor when making decisions about agency work environments
and workspaces, including telework postures

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Cowslips Warren posted:

Why the gently caress is there a push to get people back to an office. Other than trying to justify keeping levels of bullshit managers around.

As someone old enough to remember 1996 and 2012, I can tell you this- Democratic Presidents love to tack to the right suddenly before the end of their first term, because Democratic politicians are chickenshit cowards who think actually good policies are unpopular

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Yeah, that's explicitly a factor, not the factor.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

GD_American posted:

WOOOO we made it y'all

buck naked last

NPS stats:

Overall: 371/432
Effective Senior Leadership: 396/432
Pay: 400/432
Work/Life balance: 406/432
Diversity: 400/432
Agency Performance: 399/432

Checks out :negative:

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Those people didn't disappear, they now spend money more local to home. Shuffling people to the office just selects who gets paid.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Dr. Fraiser Chain posted:

Those people didn't disappear, they now spend money more local to home. Shuffling people to the office just selects who gets paid.

Honestly, I just spend less money. Not paying for gas, not putting money into car repairs, not buying as many new clothes, not buying lunches out with the homies... Teleworking has been great for my savings account.

I had a talk with my boss about it today. The savings in childcare costs alone for him are massive.

killer crane
Dec 30, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

I wonder what the McDonald's and gas station pizza by the airport are going to say was the impact of my old office going remote.

Building our office in an industrial area on the edge of a suburb did not encourage any kind of economic vitalization.

e: I forgot about the sex shop down the road. I can't wait to read the report about how we've ruined the dildo business.

killer crane fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Apr 14, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fell Fire
Jan 30, 2012

Elem7 posted:

Skimmed it, didn't see any hard-fast rules like 50% telework max. A lot of what I saw seemed to emphasize "customer facing" positions and then in other sections "It is the expectation that as a part of these assessments agencies will continue to substantially increase meaningful in-person work at Federal offices, particularly at headquarters and equivalents," which are not what I'd think of as customer facing.

No ones mentioned a thing about this where I work, we're not at all customer facing so I could see this going either way but 100% this is mostly just motivation to update my resume and start blasting out applications to 100% remote positions instead of sticking around where I am, which is just going to hurt my current organization.

The biggest complaint we get from potential applicants is that they have to move for the job, even when it doesn't make sense.

Not to mention, what is "customer facing" even supposed to mean? I work with outside people everyday, but being in the office wouldn't change that all of that time is either Teams or staring at a spreadsheet. Are all those new IRS employees supposed to call people into the office like they're Jamie Lee Curtis?