Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

FoolyCharged posted:

You'll forgive me for not finding a mere (my yearly salary and some change) a month equality or in fact any real kind of punitive action at all.

That's still a frankly absurd amount of money that no one person should have. When he owes the people he harmed more money than he can ever make. People find that upsetting because about 80% of that going to the people he hurt is still a very well off person's salary.

If it makes you feel any better he's probably feeling shittier than normal and will almost certainly die soon. He, uh, wasn't exactly in great health before the trial and the added stress isn't doing him any favors. On top of that, there's also the dogshit (ed note: this was supposed to be "distinct" but I'm keeping it) possibility he'll...

... in the other sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

waydownLo
Oct 1, 2016

Borscht posted:

He could establish a line of credit to finance inventory. There's a million other options that cost but are not prohibitive.

One of the (dumb, bad) arguments that came up in the sanctions hearing against Alex's lawyer in the Texas case was that if the banks are going to consider the judgment against Alex when determining if they should issue a loan to him, so should the court in allowing Alex to write down his net worth by the value of the judgment in the bankruptcy process.

Didn't work, but I just wanted to point out that the judgment against him will make it hard to get a line of credit from anyone but an actual loan shark who takes collateral in human kneecaps.

Borscht
Jun 4, 2011
Yeah the terms would be less than fair but it doesn't matter since his margin is so high. And don't forget brain worms are widespread. There's at least one pilled person with a big wad of cash hoping to make a buck out there.
Hell, he could go to his supplier and renegotiate terms to net 180 or longer and just take a margin hit. The supplier could then go and get the line of credit.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Remember that the plaintiffs are basically the owners of FSS now, and selling the product goes through the companies he's put under bankruptcy protection. He could try to create new companies but the courts aren't keen on letting the debtor abandon the mainline business to set up an immediate, duplicative rival. Unlike individuals, there's essentially no limit to how much you can take from the company, that's kind of its purpose.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Howuch control do they have over the company? Can they dictate the content of shows or make the company sell 'Alex Jones drinks liquid poo poo' mugs?

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

They can't dictate what he can say precisely, but they can actually try to hawk other products if it's potentially a source of income. The basic issue is that FSS is Jones and Jones is FSS insofar as revenue is concerned, each is tied inextricably with the other. Even if he's laid off the SH gig and have moved on to hating transgendered persons, is that an ethical source of income for the plaintiffs?

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
So they could find new sponsors make him hawk new products like birth control, hormone replacement therapy drugs and the DNC?

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Like...in theory? In practice you can't make someone like Jones do something he doesn't want, and if he doesn't want to do it, then what are you gonna do, fire him? That won't shut him up because you can set up a podcast with an iPhone and a quiet room and will tank FSS's value into nothing. FSS is nominally Jones' employer, but really it's only a distribution shell corp for whatever he's selling to scam his followers.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

All we do is walk around believing birds!
So what's to stop Jones doing what OJ did? Move to Florida, which is apparently a tax haven for debtors, where he can buy the most extravagant mansion possible and everything in it is exempt from the billion dollar settlement.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Slyphic posted:

So what's to stop Jones doing what OJ did? Move to Florida, which is apparently a tax haven for debtors, where he can buy the most extravagant mansion possible and everything in it is exempt from the billion dollar settlement.

You have to do that before you file for bankruptcy, and Alex didn't

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Slyphic posted:

Alex Jones is just incapable of doing the correct thing. The man is fully convinced he is the smartest, most cunning man in the world despite all of the evidence that he's a loving moron. If you tell him the smart move is to be honest with a judge, he's going to commit fraud because he thinks he's too clever to get caught.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Main Paineframe posted:

You have to do that before you file for bankruptcy, and Alex didn't

Also OJ had basically no source of income going forward other than selling his old personal memorabilia and Naked Gun residuals. Jones is probably keeping most of his physical stuff as it is, including the house, but the plaintiffs can just keep taking what they're owed from his income.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Jones gets to keep his home but he's got other properties that are gonna get put on the auction block. The usual contents of the home, unless used as a purchase money security, typically aren't seized (who wants your fridge? Dryer?) and he's not claiming a great deal of value from them anyway. There's still a lot of assets that won't be protected from bankruptcy and won't be protected even when he emerges from bankruptcy because his judgments won't get discharged.

And we'll see how long he gets to hold onto a very expensive home without an income to match. Houses don't maintain themselves for free, and Texas not having income tax means you get whacked with property taxes instead. The local gov't doesn't give a poo poo about your homestead exemptions.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

kw0134 posted:

Jones gets to keep his home but he's got other properties that are gonna get put on the auction block. The usual contents of the home, unless used as a purchase money security, typically aren't seized (who wants your fridge? Dryer?) and he's not claiming a great deal of value from them anyway. There's still a lot of assets that won't be protected from bankruptcy and won't be protected even when he emerges from bankruptcy because his judgments won't get discharged.

And we'll see how long he gets to hold onto a very expensive home without an income to match. Houses don't maintain themselves for free, and Texas not having income tax means you get whacked with property taxes instead. The local gov't doesn't give a poo poo about your homestead exemptions.

Also he's had some stuff from his home studio the very short lived "Alex Jones live not related to Free Speech Systems pinkie promise" Thing it looked extremely rinky dink, there's a lot of cache and appeal into how professional Infowars looks to get it credibility.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
OJ moved to Florida in part because that protected his NFL pension. Jones doesn’t draw a pension from an outside source, so that wouldn’t work.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

kw0134 posted:

Doesn't he get a five-figure monthly income?

Annual property tax on a $3.5m house in Austin is like $70,000. How on earth could someone on a five-figure monthly income possibly afford that? Imagine spending half your income on housing. Barbaric.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Main Paineframe posted:

he's gonna get restricted harder than that once the bankruptcy case is actually over

he's not even actually being punished yet. the current salary limit he's under is just locking down his assets so he can't pull a Lowtax and spend down his entire fortune just to spite the plaintiffs

Yeah yeah any day now :rolleye:

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Outrail posted:

Doesn't he get a five-figure monthly income?

Annual property tax on a $3.5m house in Austin is like $70,000. How on earth could someone on a five-figure monthly income possibly afford that? Imagine spending half your income on housing. Barbaric.
The income he gets is at the sufferance of the court and it's not at all guaranteed it'll stay at that level and it can only go down. The plaintiffs are already objecting to it I believe.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

kw0134 posted:

The income he gets is at the sufferance of the court and it's not at all guaranteed it'll stay at that level and it can only go down.

No, that's Alex Jones mother. :smuggo:

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

kw0134 posted:

The income he gets is at the sufferance of the court and it's not at all guaranteed it'll stay at that level and it can only go down. The plaintiffs are already objecting to it I believe.

Hopefully they submit the clip where Jones says that the federal minimum wage is more than enough for people to live in.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

At the sufferance of a court that literally refuses to do anything of substance to him out of a sense of phobia tier decorum.

The only people in that court with an ounce of gumption were the plaintiffs and jurors.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

These are different courts. Bankruptcy is a different beast.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

I give it no assumption of confidence. It gets my respect when it earns it by acting beastly. Til then, scorn and contempt. Not like they're going to do more than tut at me.

waydownLo
Oct 1, 2016

Slyphic posted:

I give it no assumption of confidence. It gets my respect when it earns it by acting beastly. Til then, scorn and contempt. Not like they're going to do more than tut at me.

Learning from this thread that a lot of people have no experience with civil court, and that’s probably for the better.

The cases I work on (as legal support staff, not a lawyer) are like half a decade old in the median and some of them are retrials of proceedings that happened when I was in high school in the aughts.

The judiciary is grindingly slow partially by design because getting things right is a big deal but also because they have dogshit technology and are chronically understaffed.

We would have a wildly more rapid delivery of justice if we funded the courts like we do the Marine Corps.

Borscht
Jun 4, 2011

waydownLo posted:

would have a wildly more rapid delivery of justice if we funded the courts like we do the Marine Corps.

Slap a coat of paint on an retired army judge and bingo bongo youve got a court goin!

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

Our judicial system is nothing to be proud of. Once you start comparing it to what we think of as peer countries, we're pretty middling.

And as far as it being a matter of funding, take a look at how little Denmark spends on its judicial system, which is consistently top of the charts.

Our system is hosed by centuries or regulatory capture by lawyer-politicians.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

waydownLo posted:

Learning from this thread that a lot of people have no experience with civil court, and that’s probably for the better.

The cases I work on (as legal support staff, not a lawyer) are like half a decade old in the median and some of them are retrials of proceedings that happened when I was in high school in the aughts.

The judiciary is grindingly slow partially by design because getting things right is a big deal but also because they have dogshit technology and are chronically understaffed.

We would have a wildly more rapid delivery of justice if we funded the courts like we do the Marine Corps.

Sounds like a system to have nothing but scorn and contempt for.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
need to migrate to the imperium system where court cases take so long that the descendants of the guilty get punished

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar
I’m coming to realize that it’s not so much that there are two court systems, one for the rich and for the poor, than it is the court system we have is so dysfunctional that it can only process low level offenses against the marginalized in a timely manner. You throw a hyper-venal rich motherfucker with decades of crime-ing into it and the bandwidth immediately bottlenecks. There just aren’t enough billable hours in the day.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Marsupial Ape posted:

I’m coming to realize that it’s not so much that there are two court systems, one for the rich and for the poor, than it is the court system we have is so dysfunctional that it can only process low level offenses against the marginalized in a timely manner. You throw a hyper-venal rich motherfucker with decades of crime-ing into it and the bandwidth immediately bottlenecks. There just aren’t enough billable hours in the day.

literally got in to a spat with a catholic because he thinks trans people are child molesters and got mad that i said thats a real glass houses thing to say

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

The purpose of a system is what it does.

Our system efficiently inflicts harm on poor people and allows entities with money to delay and reduce harm to an obscene level. Intent don't fuckin matter.

I got my hopes up that this rear end in a top hat might have finally reached a level when the system would have to step up and defend rule of law and it just didn't.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

waydownLo posted:

Uh.... are you saying we should fund them far less and give them old equipment that the previous courts used?

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

waydownLo posted:

:tinfoil: Maritime law…

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I always have to laugh at the loving 6th Amendment of the United States Constitution.

the loving constitution posted:

In all criminal prosecutions, the accused shall enjoy the right to a speedy and public trial...

I guess time is relative.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Thanks for this. Explains a bunch of poo poo I've been unable to articulate for a while. Gonna use it a bunch over the next few months.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Has anyone ever been able to successfully sue over the 6th amendment for being in prison for like a year or two without even a trial?

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Marsupial Ape posted:

poor people can file for bankruptcy too

and it would actually work for them, unlike Jones, who is doing a very poor job of pretending to be poor

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Main Paineframe posted:

poor people can file for bankruptcy too

Doesn't filing for bankruptcy cost money? And time? And resources probably not even available to them?

Why doesn't everyone in extreme debt (like half the country) just file for bankruptcy?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Uh.... are you saying we should fund them far less and give them old equipment that the previous courts used?

I think there's a lava-monster involved somewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

The Lone Badger posted:

I think there's a lava-monster involved somewhere.

Well do they get steel swords or, more likely, bronze swords?