Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

Wibla posted:

poo poo like this is souring me on the entire TrueNAS ecosystem. Sure, Scale is still under heavy development and isn't really to be considered as prod ready, but seriously? :cripes:

I agree the response in the linked issue seemed really weird, but this is not the "TrueNAS ecosystem". Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure this is a third party project with no relation to the TrueNAS developers. Seems like they do adopt the FreeNAS forums culture of being assholes, however.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Keito posted:

I agree the response in the linked issue seemed really weird, but this is not the "TrueNAS ecosystem". Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure this is a third party project with no relation to the TrueNAS developers. Seems like they do adopt the FreeNAS forums culture of being assholes, however.
Yeah, it's a community run project from what I can tell.

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

It's not part of iX, no, but there's all of like 10 official apps so if you want to do pretty much anything besides Plex or PiHole you're going to be using truecharts, and then you're stuck with it being run by these assholes.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice

power crystals posted:

It's not part of iX, no, but there's all of like 10 official apps so if you want to do pretty much anything besides Plex or PiHole you're going to be using truecharts, and then you're stuck with it being run by these assholes.

You could just use a jail and install the package yourself. It's slightly less convenient than clicking a button though.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

power crystals posted:

If you care about things being reliable the best thing is to use your nas as a nas and have another box for your compute needs. This has proven to be a reliable method with TrueNAS for me over the scale of a decade.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

You could also run whatever OS you want in a VM on top of truenas. It is a little more configuration effort than a second box because you have to set up a network bridge, but after that it'll be the same.

Mofabio
May 15, 2003
(y - mx)*(1/(inf))*(PV/RT)*(2.718)*(V/I)

VostokProgram posted:

You could also run whatever OS you want in a VM on top of truenas. It is a little more configuration effort than a second box because you have to set up a network bridge, but after that it'll be the same.

How would one set up a network bridge?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Just drop to terminal, disable k3s, enable Docker and then install Portainer. Updating might be a pain in the rear end, since you have to remember backing up and restoring docker.json across the update, then re-enabling Docker itself again. But that's still less drama than this TrueCharts poo poo.

I just hope the TrueNAS devs aren't being assholes and set up unnecessary roadblocks with their Cobia release end of the year. They're already doing funny business like removing the exec flag from the apt tools and such.

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

withoutclass posted:

You could just use a jail and install the package yourself. It's slightly less convenient than clicking a button though.

No jails on scale; which is debian based.

I’ve moved all my compute to my router which doubles as a docker host, because goddamn does scales implementation of kubernetes suck.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Keito posted:

Seems like they do adopt the FreeNAS forums culture of being assholes, however.

The biggest reason that I will gladly continue to run using ZFS on Ubuntu and do everything via CLI first. The mentality that a lot of those projects share is loving toxic.

Sad thing is they're all traceable back to ye olde m0n0wall and that had none of this bullshit going on.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

IMO, unless you **really** need multinode setups and HA (or just want to gently caress around with that stuff) you can and should just use docker or podman.

I've personally been transitioning my container workloads off of a debian based OMV server with docker to a lighter and smaller coreos install which uses podman instead.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

A used X10SDV-4C+-TLN4F would be a good board that should last a long time.

Unregistered/Unbuffered ECC DDR4 is fairly inexpensive nowadays at around $45/16GB DIMM, and should help with system stability over long periods of uptime.

This board looks awesome but looking on Ebay they are like 700+ each which is wildly out of budget. Is there a different place I should be looking because it otherwise checks all the boxes.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I love those Xeon Ds but they always just were a bit too spendy for me, sigh.

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003
Give Me Hamms Premium Draft or Give Me DEATH!!!!

IOwnCalculus posted:

The biggest reason that I will gladly continue to run using ZFS on Ubuntu and do everything via CLI first. The mentality that a lot of those projects share is loving toxic.

Sad thing is they're all traceable back to ye olde m0n0wall and that had none of this bullshit going on.

I'm in the same boat reading what everyone is saying here. An Ubuntu server with zfs and docker ended up too easy.

Korean Boomhauer
Sep 4, 2008

power crystals posted:

What the hell is TrueCharts doing? "You need to reinstall all your apps now, because reasons. We will not explain why unless you join our support discord, maybe. Locked."

This isn't even the first breaking change they've done in the last six months. At this point it seems easier to just run everything in a VM rather than using TrueNAS' own app system and waiting for them to just blow up your installations because it makes something easier for them.

TrueSharts

Korean Boomhauer
Sep 4, 2008
TrueCharts is cool but theres questionable decisions everywhere and xisystems has stepped back from unofficially supporting that project as a result. Like the PiHole app they supply is heavily modified to basically do reverse proxy stuff only and you really can't do much else with it without a lot of work and having the TrueCharts people scream "UNSUPPORTED" and refuse to help. It's pretty much a gamble if whatever app you're looking at is going to function the same way the original developer intended vs what the truecharts people want. I guess too they were caught modifying the license the original developers would use and just saying "oh yeah its BSD license its nbd" or somethin like that. They also make it extremely difficult to find out who originally made a given app as well. It's all v weird to me.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud
I bought a 4 disk USB hard drive DAS thing. I formatted one of the drives as letter G: in Windows. Set some programs to point there.

Then I plug in my phone, disconnect another USB hard drive, take my phone, etc etc, normal computer activity. I might have restarted the computer too.

Now that USB DAS hard drive is saying it is drive J: and the connections I linked to it are broken.

How do I get it to stop changing letters?

Aware
Nov 18, 2003

Korean Boomhauer posted:

TrueCharts is cool but theres questionable decisions everywhere and xisystems has stepped back from unofficially supporting that project as a result. Like the PiHole app they supply is heavily modified to basically do reverse proxy stuff only and you really can't do much else with it without a lot of work and having the TrueCharts people scream "UNSUPPORTED" and refuse to help. It's pretty much a gamble if whatever app you're looking at is going to function the same way the original developer intended vs what the truecharts people want. I guess too they were caught modifying the license the original developers would use and just saying "oh yeah its BSD license its nbd" or somethin like that. They also make it extremely difficult to find out who originally made a given app as well. It's all v weird to me.

I know nothing of TrueNAS or TrueCharts but none of that makes TrueCharts seem cool.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

IOwnCalculus posted:

I know I've said it before, but a general-purpose OS also has a whole bunch more flexibility without having to jump through hoops.

Setting a jail up on TrueNAS, according to the documentation, seems to involve a heck of a lot of work.
On FreeBSD 14-CURRENT, I add a file in /etc/jail.conf.d/ with:
pre:
jailname {

}
If the jail requires custom configuration (like dependency, automatic start-up of daemons, et cetera), I can add the values between the curly brackets - all the default values get inherited from /etc/jail.conf.

Then I clone a snapshot, which was made of the base system from the last update, into a new dataset, and start the jail.

KKKLIP ART posted:

This board looks awesome but looking on Ebay they are like 700+ each which is wildly out of budget. Is there a different place I should be looking because it otherwise checks all the boxes.
Sorry, I don't really know anything about used stuff outside of Denmark, unless it's ebay.

$700+ does seem expensive, considering that it can be had for ~$880 new (with VAT).

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 12:03 on Apr 13, 2023

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Fozzy The Bear posted:

I bought a 4 disk USB hard drive DAS thing. I formatted one of the drives as letter G: in Windows. Set some programs to point there.

Then I plug in my phone, disconnect another USB hard drive, take my phone, etc etc, normal computer activity. I might have restarted the computer too.

Now that USB DAS hard drive is saying it is drive J: and the connections I linked to it are broken.

How do I get it to stop changing letters?

You can go to Disk Management, right-click a drive and "Change Drive Letter...".

The problem probably is that G: was the first free drive letter when you plugged it in. If you unplug it and plug something else it will also get G:. The solution is to change that drive to some higher letter, M:, T:, X:, whatever, then it will keep using that letter and no other drive will use it unless you plug in whole lot of USB sticks.

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

:hmmyes:

I don't want to do the VM thing because I have an existing VM running on that box and sometimes it just... stops, for a few minutes. VNC dies with it. Then it randomly comes back a few minutes later. What happened? Who knows. But I sure don't want to rely on that for everything else too. And yes, I did pick the app method because it was "clicking a button" because TrueNAS' storage support is genuinely great but boy TrueCharts is just a tire fire and is the epitome of all the worst of open source projects. At least the last time they made a random breaking change for unexplained reasons I switched everything to host storage so reinstalling should be easy, I just don't want to have to.

If I was doing it over today, the "best" option would I guess be to run ESXi or whatever other hypervisor on the hardware itself and then pass the appropriate devices through to a TrueNAS VM running side by side with an "a bunch of random apps" VM, but that's also incredibly more complicated than I want to do for "a bunch of harddrives and also some basic applications".

poo poo sucks.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Isn't K3s basically a VM anyway?

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Matt Zerella posted:

Jails were called lovely virtualization back in/shortly after 2000 when they were introduced.

EDIT: I tried finding out where it originated, but The Internet Archive is down, so I asked phk.
He says he thinks he started using the term "high value but lovely virtualization" around 2002-2003.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Apr 13, 2023

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud

Saukkis posted:

You can go to Disk Management, right-click a drive and "Change Drive Letter...".

The problem probably is that G: was the first free drive letter when you plugged it in. If you unplug it and plug something else it will also get G:. The solution is to change that drive to some higher letter, M:, T:, X:, whatever, then it will keep using that letter and no other drive will use it unless you plug in whole lot of USB sticks.

Thank you, I guess that's the price I pay vs using a real NAS

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Matt Zerella posted:

Its an orchestration scheme for single or multinode setups that uses an integrated lightweight database rather than the resource intensive etcd one for k8. It can use either containerd or docker as its container runtime (though docker is in the process of being depreciated)

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
K3S is Kubernetes compiled into a single, fat, then slimmed down binary basically and intended originally for use with Rancher, a K8S distribution essentially. It's pretty solid for running a single node K8S machine, which is what I'm trying to do professionally instead of using options like Nomad or systemd's runc daemon support.

Docker has been deprecated in K8S for a year or two now as a supported container runtime. crio, containerd, etc. are all what people used in prod in general anyway.

priznat posted:

I love those Xeon Ds but they always just were a bit too spendy for me, sigh.
There's a huge range of pricing for those older Xeon Ds although the entry level point is certainly higher than $150 USD. But as far as enterprise-class hardware goes that's old and busted territory. You get IPMI, decent NIC hardware, a solid HCL, etc. and that's more important for both a home lab and business than for a desktop where you'd want a more customizable BIOS or the latest stuff advertised.

But really now that I've come across 512 GB of PC4 RDIMMs and like 30 TB of older SSDs for free I'm trying to figure out how I can make good use of it for a combination storage and compute server now. Pretty sure that even for a 120 TB+ ZFS server I probably don't have much use for more than 256 GB of RAM so that leaves another 256GB of RAM for either two pizza boxes or a decent EPYC machine (intending on doing some media file analysis and research hobby projects with GPUs).

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Or you can finally build a machine where it's definitely safe to turn on ZFS dedup.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

necrobobsledder posted:

K3S is Kubernetes compiled into a single, fat, then slimmed down binary basically and intended originally for use with Rancher, a K8S distribution essentially. It's pretty solid for running a single node K8S machine, which is what I'm trying to do professionally instead of using options like Nomad or systemd's runc daemon support.

Docker has been deprecated in K8S for a year or two now as a supported container runtime. crio, containerd, etc. are all what people used in prod in general anyway.

There's a huge range of pricing for those older Xeon Ds although the entry level point is certainly higher than $150 USD. But as far as enterprise-class hardware goes that's old and busted territory. You get IPMI, decent NIC hardware, a solid HCL, etc. and that's more important for both a home lab and business than for a desktop where you'd want a more customizable BIOS or the latest stuff advertised.

But really now that I've come across 512 GB of PC4 RDIMMs and like 30 TB of older SSDs for free I'm trying to figure out how I can make good use of it for a combination storage and compute server now. Pretty sure that even for a 120 TB+ ZFS server I probably don't have much use for more than 256 GB of RAM so that leaves another 256GB of RAM for either two pizza boxes or a decent EPYC machine (intending on doing some media file analysis and research hobby projects with GPUs).

Are the xeonD 1500s plentiful on ebay now? I should have a look, they'd make a great nas build. I have an 8700k I am moving to but a deal on an older -D would be awesome. I hadn't even looked at getting a used/older one. Just when they were newish I looked at the new prices and was always like nahhh

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Nap Ghost

priznat posted:

Are the xeonD 1500s plentiful on ebay now? I should have a look, they'd make a great nas build. I have an 8700k I am moving to but a deal on an older -D would be awesome. I hadn't even looked at getting a used/older one. Just when they were newish I looked at the new prices and was always like nahhh
The Xeon D-1518 isn't that fast or anything but it sure does use less overall power than even my old i3-4130 that's still humming along but scaring me. The 10gbe NICs use more power possibly. These are now I think at least 7 years old so companies are finally starting to dump them onto Ebay. Thing is that they're still very serviceable and useful if you have the proper cooling setup (most of the Xeon Ds have HSF setups intended for rack mounting exclusively). Newer Xeon Ds that take DDR5 RDIMMs and can punch solid passmark numbers for possibly even less power are still well above the $800 price points because they're definitely in service for companies and so you're competing against corporate IT budgets basically. Note that hyperscalers don't use the Xeon Ds in their core infrastructure necessarily since these are intended for "edge" cases like RAS or frontline CDN nodes in their architecture rather than as data and customer nodes.

edit:

Computer viking posted:

Or you can finally build a machine where it's definitely safe to turn on ZFS dedup.
The extra RAM would cost more to power than the extra hard drives worth of possible savings at this point and the CPU cycles eaten wouldn't make up for it either. Maybe it makes sense for certain NAS use cases like lots of VMs being cloned all the time but even for my VMs I don't bother with dedupe at all because it's just me and my own nerd farm. It's just faster to not care for now, especially once I shove some mirrored Optane drives into my arrays as special vdevs for the metadata and small file allocation classes. Still weighing heavily whether I should pay for that or throw like 8 1 TB SATA SSDs at it because now PCIe slots and SATA slots are becoming limits for myself.

necrobobsledder fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Apr 13, 2023

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Computer viking posted:

Until the 1000x speedup gets implemented by some company that needs it, I'm not sure any workload justifies dedup, because it necessitates SHA512 checksums which would need to be offloaded to make them fast enough.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

You're also committing to forever use that pool on machines that have that much RAM. What if you're poorer in the future

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Nap Ghost

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Until the 1000x speedup gets implemented by some company that needs it, I'm not sure any workload justifies dedup, because it necessitates SHA512 checksums which would need to be offloaded to make them fast enough.
QAT supports SHA512 and I believe all versions of ZFS can offload to QAT now. Thing is that would be Intel-only and I'm more interested in EPYC for the lower $ / core / watt / performance given I'm going to be doing a lot of AV1 and HEVC transcoding to archival-ish quality levels.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Can't you get pcie QAT accelerators?

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Nap Ghost
Looks like it but it may be vendor locked https://www.ebay.com/itm/384467704084

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

necrobobsledder posted:

QAT supports SHA512 and I believe all versions of ZFS can offload to QAT now. Thing is that would be Intel-only and I'm more interested in EPYC for the lower $ / core / watt / performance given I'm going to be doing a lot of AV1 and HEVC transcoding to archival-ish quality levels.
Sorry, it's SHA256 that's required according to zfsprops(7).

Zen 3 (and Zen 1 + 2, though they should be avoided for other reasons) support SHA256 operations, which I believe OpenZFS should be capable of taking advantage of.

necrobobsledder posted:

Looks like it but it may be vendor locked https://www.ebay.com/itm/384467704084
I don't believe the daughterboards are vendor lock-in, because everything is done entirely on the hardware using DMA/MSI/MSI-X.
At least in FreeBSD, this is done via qat(4) which integrates with crypto(9) - and if I'm reading the code right it should be taking advantage of that?

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Apr 13, 2023

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Nap Ghost
Well this is certainly confusing

quote:

/*
* The only algorithm ZFS uses for hashing is SHA512_HMAC.
*/

Is it possible that ZFS has its own statically linked library for SHA256? Kind of confused here. It makes a huge difference obviously if we'd have to rely upon the ZFS devs to support QAT or other crypto accelerators rather than the routines supplied by other system-wide libraries.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

necrobobsledder posted:

Well this is certainly confusing

Is it possible that ZFS has its own statically linked library for SHA256? Kind of confused here. It makes a huge difference obviously if we'd have to rely upon the ZFS devs to support QAT or other crypto accelerators rather than the routines supplied by other system-wide libraries.
Nothing in the build seems to suggest that - and I believe Allan Jude has told me in the past that ZFS uses SHA512 regardless and simply truncates it to achieve SHA256 (which is a fairly standard tactic).

OpenCrypto exists to make it so that there's a standard KPI that can be used to develop against, and to avoid code-reuse.
I thought Linux was intending to support it, but apparently not?

Unfortunately, I'm having difficulty determining if it's supposed to work based on the code, and it might not be simple to find someone with the daughterboard to test on.

More annoyingly, it looks like the SHA extensions in Intel and AMD processors are only supporting SHA256 according to the instruction table I linked earlier - which lines up with the dmesg from one of my systems.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Looking at something like this for an Unraid setup. Primary uses will be NAS/jellyfin server & host for dog/nanny cam, eventually may add some home energy monitoring stuff etc.

CPU
AMD Ryzen 5 5600G 3.9 GHz 6-Core Processor (or Intel equivalent, what's better for me?)
Motherboard
ASRock B550M-ITX/ac Mini ITX AM4 Motherboard
Memory
Patriot Viper 4 Blackout 64 GB (2 x 32 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 Memory
Storage
4x Seagate 5 TB 2.5" 5400 RPM External HDD (from Costco, shucked)
Storage
MSI SPATIUM M470 1 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive
Case
Fractal Design Ridge Mini ITX Tower Case (case needs to be small enough to fit in available living room space and pretty enough to be acceptable to wife)
Power Supply
be quiet! SFX L Power 500 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular SFX Power Supply

I have two concerns that I hope this thread can help me with:
1) is this hardware sufficient for streaming/transcoding 4k video?
2) how low can I get idle power consumption?

From what I can tell the answer to #1 is likely yes. As for #2, pcpartpicker says this kind of setup is going to pull ~250W and that is just way too much for something I want to leave running 24/7. I've read that some significant power savings can be had by selecting 2.5" HDDs, which could require shucking (I don't mind).

Is it possible to build a NAS/home server with hardware beefy enough to transcode 4k but which also sips power when idle? I'd love to be around 25W at idle, could live with 50W, but 100W+ is a dealbreaker considering the criminal rates SDGE charges these days. (1W running 24/7/365 is about $5 per year)

Any major cost saving opportunities I'm missing here?

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Apr 14, 2023

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Nap Ghost
1. The easy way to save power when transcoding 4k is to use hardware transcoding options such as in the newer Intel CPUs like Alder Lake and Raptor Lake. The i3-12100T is an excellent option there and I'm not 100% sure how good AMD's transcoding is but I tend to use AMD when I'm not going to use hardware encoding such as for encoding experiments.
2. You can get 5400 RPM drives to idle or even stop when using unRAID that won't be really possible with a ZFS RAIDZ setup which should save a lot of power in theory depending upon usage patterns.

To help ensure lowest power usage you'll want to have a PSU rated somewhere around maybe 40% higher than the expected target load and to pay a little more for at least gold or platinum rated PSUs (there's no point in the craziness for titanium here IMO). For example, if you're targeting 100w usage when transcoding + reading from drives you should be somewhere near 150w. Thing is, there's not exactly a lot of PSUs rated that low with gold / platinum certs.

Each fan uses some power as well, so you'll want to have larger fans with higher CFM spec and higher static pressure as well to keep air moving across the drives (this is likely going to result in louder fans, let's be honest).

For reference, I've got a i3-4130 CPU with 2x8GB of UDIMMs along with 16 various SATA drives in a DAS + 8 more local running about 280w across a 800w Supermicro 1U PSU and a 400w ATX PSU. This is going to be lower once I properly integrate everything together into the same chassis with the i5-12400 that I undervolt and power limit and get rid of 8 of the drives.

If power usage is a real big deal, I'd spend extra on higher density drives (16TB+ currently), reduce the number of drives to maybe 6, use unRAID, use the lightest feature motherboard possible, drop to the lowest PSU capacity reasonable (probably going to be around a 300w if you don't use weird micro and pico PSU oddballs), and tune something like an i3-12100T or maybe even the Comet Lake i3 to even lower. That should get you down to probably less than 35w during most media use cases. I saw someone on a German forum that got their i3 down to maybe 10w idle including their motherboard but I think they did some crazy mods to make it so low.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jawbroken
Aug 13, 2007

messmate king
If you're me: Mac Studio/Mini connected to a Thunderbolt enclosure, running OpenZFS. The compute part will idle at 7-13W and it can easily transcode many 4K streams simultaneously. Intel/AMD power consumption just looks ridiculous these days.