Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Doesn't filing for bankruptcy cost money? And time? And resources probably not even available to them?

Not a lot, really. You can get a basic Chapter 7 filed for under 1k if you live in an area where things aren't super expensive. I had to have an emergency appendectomy and didn't have health insurance at my lovely job and obviously couldn't afford to pay the medical bills so I scraped up $600 or whatever it was and filed BK and everything went away.

quote:

Why doesn't everyone in extreme debt (like half the country) just file for bankruptcy?

A lot of them do. The ones that don't don't want to lose their stuff or their ability to acquire debt to buy more stuff.

You don't have to be ultra rich to gum up the works in a civil suit with a bankruptcy. A few grand to an attorney to get the BK rolling and things can get dragged out for years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Doesn't filing for bankruptcy cost money? And time? And resources probably not even available to them?

Why doesn't everyone in extreme debt (like half the country) just file for bankruptcy?

You have to pay the bankruptcy firm like a couple grand, but it isn't up front. It can be a couple hundred a month, which you should have because you get to stop paying all your credit card bills. If you don't make all your payments your bankruptcy doesn't get discharged in a timely manner.

The reason everybody doesn't due it is fear of tanking your credit rating. It isn't just used by lenders, some places it is also checked by potential employers or landlords. Or because they've already done it before, it is p easy the first time but if you keep doing it it gets harder. Or shame, I guess.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

hundreds of thousands of people file for bankruptcy every year, and the majority of them make less than $30k/yr, which generally qualifies them for special low-cost bankruptcy options. if your finances are simple (because you don't have any), you might even be able to do it without a lawyer

as for why most people don't do it, I'd imagine it's because bankruptcy sucks???? depending on the flavor of bankruptcy you file for, the court could seize almost anything you own that's worth more than a certain amount. and bankruptcy proceedings gently caress your credit hard regardless. not all types of debt are dischargeable either

usually there are other options with fewer nasty side effects that you can try first, like payment plans or debt consolidation, so filing for bankruptcy is a last resort. except for very stupid people who think it's easy to hide money from the bankruptcy court

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

bird with big dick posted:

A lot of them do. The ones that don't don't want to lose their stuff or their ability to acquire debt to buy more stuff.

I know just one person that has filed for bankruptcy (that openly admitted it because it's a serious shame in the civilian world). Middle class educated white guy who has zero financial sense. And naturally, their $60,000 in student loans were not included. So they were bankrupt, but with a poo poo ton of debt as well! lol

Facebook Aunt posted:

You have to pay the bankruptcy firm like a couple grand, but it isn't up front. It can be a couple hundred a month, which you should have because you get to stop paying all your credit card bills. If you don't make all your payments your bankruptcy doesn't get discharged in a timely manner.

The reason everybody doesn't due it is fear of tanking your credit rating. It isn't just used by lenders, some places it is also checked by potential employers or landlords. Or because they've already done it before, it is p easy the first time but if you keep doing it it gets harder. Or shame, I guess.

Yeah. I understand we're talking about an ultra-rich person here but to put things back into reality, most Americans don't have $500 in their bank account so "a couple grand" is quite the hardship.

And destroying your credit rating (which didn't exist in my parent's world) can completely cripple you. Can't get a car loan, personal loan, mortgage (lol), etc etc etc.

Bankruptcy is not a "well good, it's all over and I can start from the beginning." You start from the beginning with a whole lot of bullshit fighting against you. A rich person can weather that storm, a poor person's life will be just that much worse.

Pennywise the Frown fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Apr 13, 2023

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
if you literally don't have any money at all, Chapter 7 bankruptcy can be simple enough that it's reasonable to do without a lawyer, and you can get the fees waived

turns out the paperwork's a lot simpler when you don't have any assets for the bankruptcy court to sort out

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

I always have to laugh at the loving 6th Amendment of the United States Constitution.

I guess time is relative.

It says "criminal" right fuckin' there, my man; you have no constitutional right to a timeframe for civil dispute resolution. And that's part of the problem with civil justice in the States. Criminal trials get priority for courtroom slots, jury pools, etc over civil trials because of 6A concerns. The countries folks are mentioning as having more efficient systems don't have the same people handling criminal and civil cases in the same ecosystem.

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde

Agents are GO! posted:

No, that's Alex Jones mother. :smuggo:

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

JohnCompany posted:

It says "criminal" right fuckin' there, my man; you have no constitutional right to a timeframe for civil dispute resolution. And that's part of the problem with civil justice in the States. Criminal trials get priority for courtroom slots, jury pools, etc over civil trials because of 6A concerns. The countries folks are mentioning as having more efficient systems don't have the same people handling criminal and civil cases in the same ecosystem.

I was referring to this:

Has anyone ever been able to successfully sue over the 6th amendment for being in prison for like a year or two without even a trial?

Are you not aware that this happens like, every single day? People are held in jails without any charges all the time.

:confused:

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

I was referring to this:
You didn't add that context until a later post.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

FFT posted:

You didn't add that context until a later post.

poo poo. Sorry about that. :)

quick edit: I'm quite grumpy tonight. I don't mean to take it out on anyone else

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

No worries. And yes, defendants often claim 6A rights (or their state equivalent). I know the NYS rule is the prosecution must be ready within six months, can't speak for other states.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Bankruptcy and its related things do have the advantage of being easier to do the less you have, and while it should be avoided as much as possible it IS a very viable strategy if you're legitimately poor, drowning in dischargeable debt and, say, only own a lovely car and rent a one-bedroom with only the most basic of amenities, because you're not going to "lose" anything if you don't have anything worthwhile to lose (and you're entitled to keep a few things). In fact, in these situations you will probably immediately wind up "richer" immediately, in that you'll suddenly have more money due to longer getting jacked by multiple debt sources increasing every month. Again, bankruptcy isn't supposed to be punitive, and societally it's known that people in unresolvable financial situations, regardless of why they're there, need some type of way out so it's not a de facto "life sentence".

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Update on some of the court stuff. Jones' original bankruptcy attorney and CRO who were denied by the court to represent the debtors appealed their denial of appointment. While that appeal is pending, they have worked out a settlement to pay some of their fees from the bankruptcy estate to them for their pre-petition work. The US trustee and Sandy Hook families have opposed this proposed settlement saying that Schwartz and Lee should take nothing because they were not approved by the court. There is a hearing on this on the 28th.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Mr. Nice! posted:

Update on some of the court stuff. Jones' original bankruptcy attorney and CRO who were denied by the court to represent the debtors appealed their denial of appointment. While that appeal is pending, they have worked out a settlement to pay some of their fees from the bankruptcy estate to them for their pre-petition work. The US trustee and Sandy Hook families have opposed this proposed settlement saying that Schwartz and Lee should take nothing because they were not approved by the court. There is a hearing on this on the 28th.

...worked out a settlement with who? the debtor that was denied the ability to hire them?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

evilweasel posted:

...worked out a settlement with who? the debtor that was denied the ability to hire them?

Yeah. It's a settlement agreed between debtor, denied CRO, denied lawyer, and chapter V trustee attempting to be forced through via 9019 motion. US trustee and Sandy Hook Families oppose. Here's the US Trustee's opposition which the Sandy Hook family's joined.

https://storage.courtlistener.com/recap/gov.uscourts.txsb.457706/gov.uscourts.txsb.457706.553.0.pdf

Full docket if you want: https://www.courtlistener.com/docket/64868456/free-speech-systems-llc/

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Mr. Nice! posted:

Yeah. It's a settlement agreed between debtor, denied CRO, denied lawyer, and chapter V trustee attempting to be forced through via 9019 motion. US trustee and Sandy Hook Families oppose. Here's the US Trustee's opposition which the Sandy Hook family's joined.

https://storage.courtlistener.com/recap/gov.uscourts.txsb.457706/gov.uscourts.txsb.457706.553.0.pdf

Full docket if you want: https://www.courtlistener.com/docket/64868456/free-speech-systems-llc/

yeah a 9019 is obviously improper here, except that you can get all sorts of obviously improper stuff done with magic 9019 pixie dust

that said this does seem like a bridge too far

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

kw0134 posted:

transgendered persons

"Transgendered" isn't a word. We just prefer "trans people".

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
5 years yesterday

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
happy birthday, alex's gigantic chili poo poo :toot:

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

Digital Jedi posted:

5 years yesterday

How can his head get that loving red without exploding Scanners style

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

oh god how did this get here i am not good with computers
Top Cop
I've already posted this but I still have a tough time believing he is younger than me. That dude is just going to explode in a blood bath like something out of a cheap horror movie.

E: ^^^ post above

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
all the alcohol thins his blood, which has been clinically proven to lead to fewer incidences of 'splody head

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

Foo Diddley posted:

all the alcohol thins his blood, which has been clinically proven to lead to fewer incidences of 'splody head

All the drugs and booze and chili in his system just acting like Mr. Burns' Three Stooges Syndrome, keeping his blood just barely liquid enough to prevent a full-body explosive aneurysm.

Guy's going to just paint a whole ceiling red without using his hands someday.

RocketMermaid fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Apr 19, 2023

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
As previously noted:

Baron von Eevl posted:

Alex Jones knicks himself shaving, 2024, colorized

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
True dumb story: That gif in this thread got me to watch Ran, and it was 100% worth my time. I should eat some chili and watch it again.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Dewgy posted:

True dumb story: That gif in this thread got me to watch Ran, and it was 100% worth my time. I should eat some chili and watch it again.

That Akira Kurosawa, pretty loving good at his job. I just rewatched Seven Samurai the other day.

Then I immediately watched the lovely new Magnificent Seven. Jesus loving christ it was like whiplash.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
when i watched yojimbo for the first time, i kept thinking what a great clint eastwood toshiro mifune was doing, then going, oh wait yeah it's the other way around

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Baron von Eevl posted:

As previously noted:

I think my favorite part of that gift is that the angle the splatter flies out puts the lady immediately in its line of fire.

Xiahou Dun posted:

That Akira Kurosawa, pretty loving good at his job. I just rewatched Seven Samurai the other day.

Then I immediately watched the lovely new Magnificent Seven. Jesus loving christ it was like whiplash.

Oh God, why would you do that to yourself? It was so bad. Just completely missed the point of the original and even did that godawful remake thing of waiting until the end credits to use the beloved theme of the original.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

It was as close to that joke American version of Akira as I’ll ever get.

Borscht
Jun 4, 2011
My favorite part was where Chris Pratt turns into a suicide bomber.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
https://twitter.com/SebastianMurdoc/status/1653823302672982032

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
:lol:

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!
Make Attorneys Get Attorneys

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

https://twitter.com/theCJS/status/1653891458209050628

(Apparently runs a prank show that releases on Mondays and is maybe getting cold feet about posting it at all, who knows)

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar
I don’t know what’s real or not, anymore.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Well it's a real show, called "Not Even A Show"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1f3LqWtGb4

MEIN RAVEN
Oct 7, 2008

Gutentag Mein Raven

Sweet Jesus. I may be ignorant of these things, but that sounds like a massive sanction

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar

MEIN RAVEN posted:

Sweet Jesus. I may be ignorant of these things, but that sounds like a massive sanction

Mike Bankston is on today’s Knowledge Fight. He commented that six figure fines are rare for individual lawyers. Real deal consequences.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost
If you read the ruling, it's $96k now, comprised of $71k in costs plus $25k in personal punitive sanctions against Reynal. She adds another up-to-$115k if Reynal appeals, to cover appellate costs. Yikes.

I've never seen $25,000 in punitive sanctions against a lawyer. That's a ton. I've seen some six figure sanctions to cover costs, which the lawyer usually just bills to the client, but that's a freaking ton of personal sanctions.

Ruling is linked in the huffpost.com article:
https://www.huffpost.com/entry/alex-jones-attorney-sandy-hook-trial_n_6449bd39e4b04997b575ab46?riw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Xiahou Dun posted:

Kurosawa is so good, that my youngest last year at age 10 sat through the entirety of Seven Samurai because he thought it was awesome. He is a bit of a precocious reader for his age so the subs weren't that rough on him, but I seriously expected to lose him through the numerous panoramic shots that Kurosawa was infatuated with. Any director that can hold the attention of a kid who prefers to watch shrieky fart joke Minecraft videos has got chops, alive or dead.