Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

this is excellent

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Elendil004 posted:

Ah yes, I just assumed it was F1. However, wasn't there an image of someone with their foot on their f1 car tipping it off or onto the scale for some reason? was that F1?

I think that was Nascar and the driver was raising the shell of the car so it passed minimum height or something during scrutineering.

how does bottass taste? :allears:

SocksAndSandals
Jun 6, 2011

I'm re-watching the 2007 season and Lewis is actually really, really good? seems to be kicking Alonso's rear end in the same car (and his first year in f1)

Also in this season:

Kimi press conferences, how i've missed them
Bring back nurburgring

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Yeah Lewis had the most successful rookie season perhaps of all time

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

F1 allegedly partnering with paramount plus? I wonder if this spells the end of nice F1TV in the US.

opposable thumbs.db
Jan 7, 2008
It's hard to say that it's wrong that my life revolves around my dog when she is cuter and more interesting than me
Pillbug

MustardFacial posted:

Is it race week yet?

Yes, if you want to watch more chaotic racing with worse production values (Indycar Long Beach)

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

F1 looks like they are trying to build their own offering out so much that they won't do exclusive deals now other than with people like Sky for some reason - they don't use Sky commentary for their YouTube highlights this year. I'd guess Paramount Plus will get live races included with the subscription but F1TV Pro will be where F1 want people to end up.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

:ferrari:

I think pray big charl is going to have a good race

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

ArmZ posted:

:ferrari:

I think pray big charl is going to have a good race

He'll have a good couple of laps, I'm sure.

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

Anime Store Adventure posted:

F1 allegedly partnering with paramount plus? I wonder if this spells the end of nice F1TV in the US.

ugh

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Anime Store Adventure posted:

oh it's going to get so much worse if it keeps gaining traction in the us. look to MLB and NFL region blackouts and exclusive rights being split 6 ways across $250 / month of cable tv package channels as the shining example.

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
today I learned that carl haas and gene haas aren’t related, so early haas and modern haas are entirely separate and just happen to have the same name????

what the gently caress

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

God I cannot stand Nico!

So would the Paramount + deal kill off Drive to Survive?

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

https://twitter.com/ChrisMedlandF1/status/1646267554296471555

i want to listen to this but lol at having anything to do with ESPN Xtra or Sirius

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

ethanol posted:

oh it's going to get so much worse if it keeps gaining traction in the us. look to MLB and NFL region blackouts and exclusive rights being split 6 ways across $250 / month of cable tv package channels as the shining example.

that's weird I thought I saw they were gonna have the NFL games on youtube and all the NHL games on ESPN+ but maybe it's different for you

Personal Lucubrant
Oct 18, 2016

Just thinking about what to do with all the money I don't have.

FAUXTON posted:

that's weird I thought I saw they were gonna have the NFL games on youtube and all the NHL games on ESPN+ but maybe it's different for you

Lmao at this price!

quote:

Consumers who want the Sunday games package without a subscription to YouTube TV's other offerings will have to pay $449, while a bundle consisting of Sunday Ticket and NFL Redzone is available at a retail price of $489 for the season.

https://www.reuters.com/business/media-telecom/youtube-reveals-prices-nfl-sunday-ticket-subscription-2023-04-11/

I bet they still play loving ads too. American broadcast television is so loving trash, goddamn.

Personal Lucubrant fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Apr 13, 2023

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Personal Lucubrant posted:

Lmao at this price!

https://www.reuters.com/business/media-telecom/youtube-reveals-prices-nfl-sunday-ticket-subscription-2023-04-11/

I bet they still play loving ads too. American broadcast television is so loving trash, goddamn.

lmao yeah it's insane, british and aussie television have far fewer ads and their prices are far cheaper I take it?

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

New Miami track marina might have gone a bit overboard.

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
looks like it's just paramount plus doing advertising at f1 events?

https://variety.com/2023/global/news/paramount-plus-formula-1-sponsorship-deal-1235579405/

"The deal does not encompass media rights for Formula 1, which is a subsidiary of John Malone’s Liberty Media. Disney’s ESPN last year renewed its deal with the motorsports outfit to keep F1 races on ESPN networks in the United States through the 2025 season."

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

the milk machine posted:

looks like it's just paramount plus doing advertising at f1 events?

https://variety.com/2023/global/news/paramount-plus-formula-1-sponsorship-deal-1235579405/

"The deal does not encompass media rights for Formula 1, which is a subsidiary of John Malone’s Liberty Media. Disney’s ESPN last year renewed its deal with the motorsports outfit to keep F1 races on ESPN networks in the United States through the 2025 season."

thank god

Personal Lucubrant
Oct 18, 2016

FAUXTON posted:

lmao yeah it's insane, british and aussie television have far fewer ads and their prices are far cheaper I take it?

American, so no idea. I haven't had a cable TV subscription for more than a decade, and don't miss it a bit. My in-laws have a Hulu account that includes some broadcast TV channels. I've used it occasionally to watch IndyCar or the occasional football game, and it feels like more ads than content.

Maybe using the internet with adblockers for so long has altered my expectations, and TV always sucked?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Maybe using the internet with adblockers for so long has altered my expectations, and TV always sucked?

that's basically it? I mean yeah cut out all the ads and you just get "the poo poo you want to watch" so uh, nailed it

few people under probably 50 pay an actual cable provider for TV so most people posting probably haven't touched that poo poo since leaving home too, "it's overpriced and crapped up with ads" is entirely poo poo everyone is gonna agree with because it's applicable to nearly everything

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Apr 13, 2023

Personal Lucubrant
Oct 18, 2016

FAUXTON posted:

that's basically it? I mean yeah cut out all the ads and you just get "the poo poo you want to watch" so uh, nailed it

few people under probably 50 pay an actual cable provider for TV so most people posting probably haven't touched that poo poo since leaving home too, "it's overpriced and crapped up with ads" is entirely poo poo everyone is gonna agree with because it's applicable to nearly everything

When DTS hooked me in 2019 I was working the graveyard/weekend shift and I'd watch the race on the TV in the office. I realized the ESPN broadcast didn't have any commercial breaks and it was really nice. I think there was a race on later in the evening when I wasn't at work, and I didn't feel like trying to find a poo poo quality pirate stream somewhere, so I hastily made a $5 mistake.

"It was on ESPN, right? Cool, I'll just subscribe to ESPN+."

Spend 5 bucks, search for F1, aaaaaand it wants me to sign into my cable provider account.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_asNhzXq72w

Pastel Candy Snake
Sep 6, 2018

by Hand Knit
We regret to inform you that Baku has been canceled. Stay tuned!

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

FAUXTON posted:

Depends. Basically if you want to watch sport that isn't your countries popular sport then it's cheap - NBA League Pass is £14.99 per season. Watching Premier League football legally will cost you something like £100/month to subscribe to all the platforms showing games (Sky, BT, Amazon) and you still won't get any 3pm games.

The cheapest way to legally watch F1 live is Sky Sports F1, which is £48/month.

Thanks Ants fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Apr 13, 2023

Dictator.
May 13, 2007

#Blessed

Thanks Ants posted:

Or F1 TV pro, which is 60 for the year?

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Dictator. posted:

Or F1 TV pro, which is 60 for the year?

not available in the UK, because of Sky F1 I believe.

but if you're able to get your internet connection to travel, there was discussion before the year about which country's rates for F1 TV were the best. Can't remember offhand, but some countries had it cheaper for the full package than others.

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

harperdc posted:

not available in the UK, because of Sky F1 I believe.

but if you're able to get your internet connection to travel, there was discussion before the year about which country's rates for F1 TV were the best. Can't remember offhand, but some countries had it cheaper for the full package than others.

It's not that easy any more, you would need a payment method that also travels with you nowadays. Can't just use your home country credit card or playstore account

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I VPN and pay via in-app purchase with Apple and it doesn't seem to notice that I'm not in the US.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

https://twitter.com/F1/status/1646450402689183744

Rebus
Jan 18, 2006

Meanwhile, somewhere in Grove, work begins on next season's Williams F1 car...

Thanks Ants posted:

NowTV Sports Pass is (or was when they had the deal up) £20/month.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

what do you think goes on during a football game when ads are on?

Hint, it's gently caress all, the ads are infinitely more interesting than what is going on when they're airing.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

what do you think goes on during a football game when ads are on?

Hint, it's gently caress all, the ads are infinitely more interesting than what is going on when they're airing.

I always hated going to football games during collage that were also airing on TV because the extra breaks they took to show ads made the games feel twice as long.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Lmao at this price!

What’s funny is that YouTube TV getting Sunday ticket is actually a huge loving improvement because it used to be tied to direct TV which no one wanted. I bought Sunday ticket for relatives who wanted our local team games and I could only do it because I briefly had a .edu email address and could pose as a college student which allowed you to buy it alone. And it would constantly be unavailable, lock me in loops on their website when trying to access my account. It was a true loving nightmare.

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!

Nico Rosberg always reminds me of Jeremy Fragrance, not sure if he's only a german internet meme dude or known globally? He should be

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9E0khmRqW0I

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Rebus posted:

NowTV Sports Pass is (or was when they had the deal up) £20/month.

£21 this year, but of course that's also in 720P. I presume the reason it costs so much is servicing computers old enough that counts as an acceptable resolution.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

One of the big benefits of F1TV is that it's a 50fps broadcast, which is really noticeable if you ever try and go back to a lower frame rate

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Nico Rosberg Ftw.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Thanks Ants posted:

One of the big benefits of F1TV is that it's a 50fps broadcast, which is really noticeable if you ever try and go back to a lower frame rate

just enable TruMotion™ like a loving psycho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Did you guys know that Nico Rosberg beat Lewis Hamilton for the championship in 2016 in equal machinery?!