Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
Anyone excited to see the new movie "Once Upon a Time in Ukraine"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

John Charity Spring posted:

FF posting classified Canadian documents to the Red Scare discord trying to get attention from the coked up brooklyn egirls posting their nudes

tazjin
Jul 24, 2015

Corky Romanovsky posted:

Anyone excited to see the new movie "Once Upon a Time in Ukraine"?

No, but my girlfriend went to the pre-premiere of Вызов yesterday (the movie that they partially filmed on the ISS). She said it was actually really good, not just resting on the "gimmick" of being filmed in space. Kinda looking forward to watching it now when it comes out publicly.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

tazjin posted:

No, but my girlfriend went to the pre-premiere of Вызов yesterday (the movie that they partially filmed on the ISS). She said it was actually really good, not just resting on the "gimmick" of being filmed in space. Kinda looking forward to watching it now when it comes out publicly.

Cool. It will probably become illegal for Americans to watch it, punishable with 25 year prison sentence, with that new "TikTok" law.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Poutine is the most popular one!

WRT volley sights

Normal, what we'd now call "battle" sights:

Volley sights

The equipment to do this with a machine gun was (and is) a bit more complicated

You could fire indirect at ranges as far as 2000 to 4,500 yds, which is significant when compared to 1600 to 2800 yds for the 3 inch mortar.

Setting up four guns means you have a zero line and a pivot gun. All angles and fire control orders are then laid off of the zero line. It can be set up for many more guns, as long as they know their angle of switch.

To lay the guns in the first place, they need to be ‘paralleled’. This means they are all pointing in the same direction and the distance between the guns will be the breadth of the gun frontage and lines of fire whatever the range.

When paralleling the guns, the dial sight (first image) of No. 1 gun is pointed to look at the other guns and they set the lensatic sights on each other. Once aligned, the drums are all set to zero again. Any adjustment from zero will now be the same on each gun.

This is why you often see dial sights on guns at very weird angles and in no way pointing towards the target. They’re either pointing at the No. 1 gun or the aiming post.

For targets with a greater width than the gun frontage, you have to allow for a number of ‘taps’ of the gun crosspiece right or left (“2-inch tap”) to distribute fire. You have to use the slide rule or range tables to calculate this.

If the target is narrower, then you adjust the angle of switch for the necessary guns so they fire converges on the target.

If the target is longer than the beaten zone, you can raise and lower the elevation on the drum of the sight and relay the gun using the spirit level on the dial sight.

In 1945, a practice of ‘pepperpots’ became a feature of large scale attacks in NW Europe with multiple divisional Support Bns coordinating fire with mortars and artillery to lay down different barrages with different effects.

Those three being, of course

1st Canadian Division Support Battalion (Saskatoon Light Infantry)
2nd Canadian Division Support Battalion (Toronto Scottish Regiment)
3rd Canadian Division Support Battalion (Cameron Highlanders of Ottawa)

From 1943 they were pretty substantial units that could put down a lot of firepower

Battalion Headquarters
* Headquarters Company
- Light Aid Detachment, RCEME (attached)
- Signals Platoon
* Medium Machine Gun Company
- Machine Gun Platoon - 4 x Vickers Gun
- Machine Gun Platoon
- Machine Gun Platoon
(as above)
(as above)
* Mortar Company
- Mortar Platoon - 4 x 4.2" Mortar
- Mortar Platoon (as above)

If you remember, the Cheshire Regiment was a Divisional Support Battalion that saw combat at Anzio.

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009

Wow sweden in nato already?

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

Raskolnikov38 posted:

cc:ff

thankfully I have solution he might be interested in. I call it the dual monarchy republic of the Levant

The Habsburgs did claim the title of King of Jerusalem...

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Jel Shaker posted:

it’s a real shame that we missed the chance to be a lot meaner to FF so we could have also have had our own tilted NATO office top secret image dumps

These forums are too nice. We weren't able to bully 2Dcat into leaking the Trump secrets.

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

sullat posted:

These forums are too nice. We weren't able to bully 2Dcat into leaking the Trump secrets.

2dcat is a fraud

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

any post can be a kannapost
if you want it to be

bernie sanders ftw

Turtle Sandbox
Dec 31, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Regarde Aduck posted:

lol if Zelensky basically turns out to be a hostage in all this

supposed to basically guide the Russians into Kyiv but something went wrong/The US found out and now its basically "keep the war going or we shoot you"

Every single world leader that "supports" us is our hostage. You think Germany could have done anything to keep us from blowing up their pipeline?

What could they do about it after the fact expect parrot our line or lose our funding?

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

https://twitter.com/Spriter99880/status/1646406887213080579

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

so is poroshenko going into the hardware and tools business?

Gravid Topiary
Feb 16, 2012

Frosted Flake posted:

Poutine is the most popular one!

WRT volley sights

Volley sights

what an optimistic design

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Gravid Topiary posted:

what an optimistic design

Well, remember the Vickers fired the same ammunition and was sighted for indirect fire out to a 2000-4000 range band as well.

It's just the theory of applying that firepower was different. A rifle platoon firing volley could create a beaten zone at 2800 yards, and it would certainly be dangerous to move through. It's just that there was no reason to have infantrymen create this firepower when a machine gun could do it, and once machine guns were issued in numbers, they handily took over this role. Later in the war when the stokes (modern) mortar was invented, the infantry battalion had another, better, tool for indirect fires at those ranges as well.

After the summer of 1914 there were no massed targets in the open to engage by volley, and so the need for such sights passed. Additionally, command and control of a unit for volley fire required them to mass, to a degree, which in turn made them vulnerable to the enemy's firepower. (As gradenko_2000 will tell you, by 1910 infantry were dispersed and moving between cover in bounds because the effects of long range musketry had been feared prewar).

Mons may or may not have been the greatest hour of British musketry, but they certainly weren't confused for machine guns. It's just too hard directing the fire of 30 riflemen compared to 1 machine gunner.

There's a company that makes ladder sights for modern rifles, I think you can sight them out to 1200m or something, but really you only see these on machine-guns these days, if I'm not mistaken.

e: and my Lee-Enfields have the WW2 era mk 3, which combines the "battle" sight with the ladder.

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 16:29 on Apr 13, 2023

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

Whenever you are forced to retreat from a position you should make sure to mag dump straight up into the sky do your enemies taking over the position will be headshotted once the bullets come back down

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

PoontifexMacksimus posted:

Whenever you are forced to retreat from a position you should make sure to mag dump straight up into the sky do your enemies taking over the position will be headshotted once the bullets come back down

Max range for 5.56 is something like 800m for an area target, right?

I wonder if you could develop an indirect fire sight for the FN Minimi. Not that it would be useful, just wondering if you could set up the tripod and everything else you need, and what the beaten zone would be like. The tracers would have burnt out by then, and the bullets are so light, I imagine they'd be both slow and blown around a fair bit on the way down.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

can't understand a loving word this guy is saying

Mike Fallopian
Apr 10, 2023

by vyelkin
I'm not like a big military technology guy or anything but I assumed that any kind of accuracy would be totally lost to the wind carrying off your rifle rounds if you tried to do some kind of crazy mini artillery arced shot stuff with rifles.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Mike Fallopian posted:

I'm not like a big military technology guy or anything but I assumed that any kind of accuracy would be totally lost to the wind carrying off your rifle rounds if you tried to do some kind of crazy mini artillery arced shot stuff with rifles.

I think that's the case with modern cartridges, but I'm pretty sure they knew it would work with the guns they were using at the time these tactics were in vogue

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Poroshenko speaks in kind of a messed up surzhyk I think? He's mainly a Russian speaker, but had to learn mova for obvious political reasons.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

New theory, the US purposely leaked the docs to remind vasal states they are listening and will sic their gladios unto them if they dont act accordingly

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
rly does it have to be some big conspiracy as opposed to some guy trying to be a main character

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Mike Fallopian posted:

.303 was a heavy, for its time well designed, bullet so it retained velocity fairly well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ztdy5irVLmI

e: at 2800 yds the beaten zone was 14 years wide, to give you an idea.

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 17:08 on Apr 13, 2023

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

OctaMurk posted:

rly does it have to be some big conspiracy as opposed to some guy trying to be a main character

And/or just someone that was pissed off at the time, and they really didn’t think about the consequences of their actions.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Ardennes posted:

And/or just someone that was pissed off at the time, and they really didn’t think about the consequences of their actions.

Do we think bureaucrat, military or contractor?

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Frosted Flake posted:

My bet is someone that was Russian orthodox and in the military (or at least a contractor they were using), and was tremendously pissed off about the the Ukrainian government has been doing.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
what is funnier

intel contractor posts hundreds of clasified documents on discord to win arguments against unimpressed teenagers, ends up leaking that ukraines kinda hosed and that america has no clue wtf going on

head scientist on top secret project at defense contractor hires his favorite prostitute as an "engineer" and she manages stay employed for some time by selling her services to all the other engineers

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Ardennes posted:

My bet is someone that was Russian orthodox and in the military (or at least a contractor they were using), and was tremendously pissed off about the the Ukrainian government has been doing.

Hmm. Here they might be able to slip by because that's recorded as Other Denomination (where Ukrainians get their own dog tag, GC, Greek Catholic). Unless they had a GO, Greek Orthodox tag, they couldn't just search the records of everyone in attendance for religious affiliation and zero in on them.

Sounds like it will be trivially easy to identify them if that discord isn't promptly erased by whoever is running the server.

e: You forgot the scientist "died of unknown causes" before the investigation really got going.

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 17:24 on Apr 13, 2023

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

OctaMurk posted:

what is funnier

intel contractor posts hundreds of clasified documents on discord to win arguments against unimpressed teenagers, ends up leaking that ukraines kinda hosed and that america has no clue wtf going on

head scientist on top secret project at defense contractor hires his favorite prostitute as an "engineer" and she manages stay employed for some time by selling her services to all the other engineers

So a Reality Winner v. Petreaus scenario.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

given the guy who leaked it was apparently fond of racial and anti-Semitic slurs he’s prob Ukrainian

razorscooter
Nov 5, 2008

Frosted Flake posted:

Max range for 5.56 is something like 800m for an area target, right?

I wonder if you could develop an indirect fire sight for the FN Minimi. Not that it would be useful, just wondering if you could set up the tripod and everything else you need, and what the beaten zone would be like. The tracers would have burnt out by then, and the bullets are so light, I imagine they'd be both slow and blown around a fair bit on the way down.

maybe not volley sights, but anti aircraft sights for small arms are definitely going to make a comeback

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
The leader of a small online gaming chat group where a trove of classified U.S. intelligence documents leaked over the last few months is a 21-year-old member of the intelligence wing of the Massachusetts Air National Guard, according to interviews and documents reviewed by The New York Times.

The national guardsman, whose name is Jack Teixeira, oversaw a private online group named Thug Shaker Central, where about 20 to 30 people, mostly young men and teenagers, came together over a shared love of guns, racist online memes and video games

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

dk2m
May 6, 2009

Frosted Flake posted:

hot off the press

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/04/13/world/documents-leak-leaker-identity.html

quote:

The leader of a small online gaming chat group where a trove of classified U.S. intelligence documents leaked over the last few months is a 21-year-old member of the intelligence wing of the Massachusetts Air National Guard, according to interviews and documents reviewed by The New York Times.

The national guardsman, whose name is Jack Teixeira, oversaw a private online group named Thug Shaker Central, where about 20 to 30 people, mostly young men and teenagers, came together over a shared love of guns, racist online memes and video games.

Two U.S. officials confirmed that investigators want to talk to Airman Teixeira about the leak of the government documents to the private online group. One official said Airman Teixeira might have information relevant to the investigation.

Federal investigators have been searching for days for the person who leaked the top secret documents online but have not identified Airman Teixeira or anyone else as a suspect. The F.B.I. declined to comment.

Starting months ago, one of the users uploaded hundreds of pages of intelligence briefings into the small chat group, lecturing its members, who had bonded during the isolation of the pandemic, on the importance of staying abreast of world events.

A Guide to the Leaked Pentagon Documents

A major intelligence breach. After U.S. intelligence documents, some marked “top secret,” were found circulating on social media, questions remain about how dozens of pages from Pentagon briefings became public and how much to believe them. Here is what we know

Are the documents real? Yes, officials say — at least, for the most part. Some of the documents appear to have been altered, officials say. U.S. officials are alarmed at this exposure of secret information, and the F.B.I. is working to determine the source of the leak.

Where did the materials come from? The evidence that this is a leak, and not a hack, appears strong. The material may be popping up on platforms like Discord, Twitter, 4chan and the Telegram messaging app, but what is being circulated are photographs of printed briefing reports.

What other countries are named? The leak appears to go well beyond classified material on Ukraine. Analysts say the trove of documents also includes sensitive material on Canada, China, Israel and South Korea, in addition to the Indo-Pacific military theater and the Middle East.

The New York Times spoke with four members of the Thug Shaker Central chat group, one of whom said he has known the person who leaked for at least three years, had met him in person, and referred to him as the O.G. The friends described him as older than most of the group members, who were in their teens, and the undisputed leader. One of the friends said the O.G. had access to intelligence documents through his job.

While the gaming friends would not identify the group’s leader by name, a trail of digital evidence compiled by The Times leads to Airman Teixeira.

The Times has been able to link Airman Teixeira to other members of the Thug Shaker Central group through his online gaming profile and other records. Details of the interior of Airman Teixeira’s childhood home — posted on social media in family photographs — also match details on the margins of some of the photographs of the leaked secret documents.

The Times also has established, through social media posts and military records, that Airman Teixeira is enlisted in the 102nd Intelligence Wing of the Massachusetts Air National Guard. Posts on the unit’s official Facebook page congratulated Airman Teixeira and colleagues for being promoted to Airman First Class in July 2022.

On Thursday, President Biden said the United States was “getting close” to finding answers about the leak.

“There’s a full blown investigation going on, as you know, with the intelligence community and the Justice Department, and they’re getting close,” Mr. Biden told reporters on a visit to Dublin.

It was not immediately clear if a young Air National Guardsman in his position could have had access to such highly sensitive briefings. Officials within the U.S. government with security clearance often receive such documents through daily emails, one official told The Times, and those emails might then be automatically forwarded to other people.

Airman Teixeira’s mother, Dawn, speaking outside her home in Massachusetts on Thursday, confirmed that her son was a member of the Air National Guard and said he had recently been working overnight shifts at a base on Cape Cod. In the last few days, he had changed his phone number, she said.

Later, someone who appeared to be Airman Teixeira drove onto the property in a red pickup truck.

When Times reporters approached the house again, the truck was parked in the driveway. Airman Teixeira’s mother and a man were standing outside in the driveway.

When asked if Airman Teixeira was there and willing to speak, the man said: “He needs to get an attorney if things are flowing the way they are going right now. The Feds will be around soon, I’m sure.”

Members of Thug Shaker Central who spoke to The Times said that the documents they discussed online were meant to be purely informative. While many pertained to the war in Ukraine, the members said they took no side in the conflict.

The documents, they said, only started to get wider attention when one of the teenage members of the group took a few dozen of them and posted them to a public online forum. From there they were picked up by Russian-language Telegram channels and then The New York Times, which first reported on them.

The person who leaked, they said, was no whistleblower, and the secret documents were never meant to leave their small corner of the internet.

“This guy was a Christian, anti-war, just wanted to inform some of his friends about what’s going on,” said one of the person’s friends from the community, a 17-year-old recent high school graduate. “We have some people in our group who are in Ukraine. We like fighting games, we like war games.”

razorscooter
Nov 5, 2008

my son GORD

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Okay, but a 21 year old is what, a corporal Intelligence Operator or a just graduated 2lt Int O?

Why would they even be read in on this stuff? Unless they were the ADC to someone in attendance?

e: Is Airman a one hook?

ee: "It was not immediately clear if a young Air National Guardsman in his position could have had access to such highly sensitive briefings. Officials within the U.S. government with security clearance often receive such documents through daily emails, one official told The Times, and those emails might then be automatically forwarded to other people."

???

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 17:30 on Apr 13, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Frosted Flake posted:

Okay, but a 21 year old is what, a corporal Intelligence Operator or a just graduated 2lt Int O?

Why would they even be read in on this stuff? Unless they were the ADC to someone in attendance?

e: Is Airman a one hook?

Hes legit a private lol

Why he has this stuff?