Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
HARDEST kong to ESCAPE from
This poll is closed.
Donkey Kong 8 4.88%
Diddy Kong 3 1.83%
Dixie Kong 8 4.88%
Funky Kong 49 29.88%
Chunky Kong 8 4.88%
Bluster Kong 5 3.05%
Lanky Kong (demanded by Cheetah) 53 32.32%
Max Castillo 6 3.66%
Billy Mitchell 18 10.98%
Steve Wiebe 6 3.66%
Total: 164 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Evil Kit posted:

Checked out the new game mode in Ghostwire: Tokyo, met the shopkeeper.

What an absolute unit.

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Waffleman_ posted:

The franchise predates Pokemon!

That really makes it sadder

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I'm ok with the end of the era of dog petting and the beginning of the era of cat petting

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
Digimon was originally an attempt to chase the popularity of Tamagotchi, then they pivoted to trying to chase the popularity of Pokemon

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Evil Kit posted:

Checked out the new game mode in Ghostwire: Tokyo, met the shopkeeper.

What an absolute unit.

I already finished Ghostwire when it first came out, but reading about the newest update makes it seem like I should go back and play through the game again. The new content sounds really cool.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Ghostwire Tokyo is awesome. Its original creative director was the person who made the monsters for the Evil Within, and created and wrote the character part of Bayonetta.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

I said come in! posted:

I already finished Ghostwire when it first came out, but reading about the newest update makes it seem like I should go back and play through the game again. The new content sounds really cool.

The surface I've scratched of the new content is making it seem kinda nuts. They've dropped in a whole rear end roguelite game mode that includes new enemies, some new abilities for the various elements, and the rooms have some variance that isn't just combat. There was a goddamn quiz room based on ancient Japanese pottery lol.

It's also a reminder when starting over fresh that Visitors loving hurt when they hit you lol.

Edit: the majority of the new content is just an entire side mode that is unrelated to the main game, but contains some mild spoilers and lets you bring over any cosmetic unlocks from the main game.

Haven't found out what they added to the main game yet.

Evil Kit fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Apr 13, 2023

Redezga
Dec 14, 2006

I looked up the Digimon keychain toys a week ago and the Japan exclusives have lore and storylines that spans over multiple releases.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

i opened up wo long again to try out a poison build and did a side mission or two and then started up the next main mission

except it's loving lu bu

and i genuinely cannot be loving bothered to spend 2 hours to try and kill him again

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Volte posted:

Digimon was originally an attempt to chase the popularity of Tamagotchi, then they pivoted to trying to chase the popularity of Pokemon

Isn't it literally made by the same people as tamagotchi? It's just that but marketed to boys

Redezga
Dec 14, 2006

They were. From what I read in my Digimon deepdive last week its the exact same technology, just with a battle element added.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

digimon ftw

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I wanted a digimon battle thing so bad but I loved my frog digipet all the same. Well, tadpole, rarely got to frog.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

bone emulator posted:

Poplio! Now there's a Pokemon.

More like Pooplio

Wretched creature

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Pokemon has a big advantage over Digimon (for children playing, not guide reading adults) in that you always know what your little guy will turn into and its the bigger version of that little guy. In Digimon your little guy can turn into about 10 different things that have no relation to your little guy.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Ometeotl posted:

More like Pooplio

Wretched creature

perish

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Ometeotl posted:

More like Pooplio

Wretched creature

woefully incorrect

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

I'm just gonna say it

Arceus and Scarlet/Violet as Pokemon games don't interest me due to the open world stuff

Should have continued in a Sword/Shield direction

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

When a Pokemon game has Jack Garland as a playable character I will be interested, and not a moment before

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

Ometeotl posted:

More like Pooplio

Wretched creature

:mods:

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Evil Kit posted:

Haven't found out what they added to the main game yet.

There’s some new stuff on the skill tree including a dodge, a “quick purge unaware enemies from above” mechanic, and a ground pound thing. There’s new moves you unlock just as part of the story where if you fully charge and press R3 you shoot out like a constant laser thing of whichever element that consistently drains your ammo. And there’s a new series of collectible things where you have to go to the location photos were taken at.

I still don’t really think it’s an especially good game - the combat kinda stinks, even when you get upgrades - but I enjoy the designs and floating around the city getting souls

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Ometeotl posted:

More like Pooplio

Wretched creature

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Did they ever get to the bottom of what the digital world actually was? Like did someone program it all?

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

stev posted:

Did they ever get to the bottom of what the digital world actually was? Like did someone program it all?
The Demiurge did it

"In the beginning...
There was the soulles creator, Demiurge...
Idea, the true figure of the world...
and only shapeless chaotic souls had existed in the entire universe.
Demiurge does not know of the existence that created him.
Nor the existence of the soul.
Nor even of Idea.
The world he created was merely a shadow of the true world..."

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Apr 13, 2023

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Regy Rusty posted:

I have never been so happy for Factions to interrupt your Tuesday stream as I was catching up yesterday to see you stop right at the perfect spot.

Can't wait for Friday.

I am proper raring to get back into it :) Also this makes me glad I did not somehow power through to the point that I went further than you thought I would.

I was a tad worried I was beelining again and while I do love bees (oh man do I love bees, apico is a delightful game and perfect for the Steam Dreck) I wanted to do as much extra beef exploring as I could first.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

VideoGames posted:

I am proper raring to get back into it :) Also this makes me glad I did not somehow power through to the point that I went further than you thought I would.

I was a tad worried I was beelining again and while I do love bees (oh man do I love bees, apico is a delightful game and perfect for the Steam Dreck) I wanted to do as much extra beef exploring as I could first.

Thing about chrono trigger is that all the optional stuff is either geared towards the final act (as you discovered being stomped in the desert) or only available in the final act. So not much choice but to beeline the main plot until then.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Pwnstar posted:

Pokemon has a big advantage over Digimon (for children playing, not guide reading adults) in that you always know what your little guy will turn into and its the bigger version of that little guy. In Digimon your little guy can turn into about 10 different things that have no relation to your little guy.

It makes every digivolution an exciting moment of tension

You know, or a festering wound in the psyche because it's the goddamn poop monster AGAIN

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Mainline the original Digimon series a few years back. It was so bad. Beyond the decent monster design there is kothing of value.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Escobarbarian posted:

There’s some new stuff on the skill tree including a dodge, a “quick purge unaware enemies from above” mechanic, and a ground pound thing. There’s new moves you unlock just as part of the story where if you fully charge and press R3 you shoot out like a constant laser thing of whichever element that consistently drains your ammo. And there’s a new series of collectible things where you have to go to the location photos were taken at.

I still don’t really think it’s an especially good game - the combat kinda stinks, even when you get upgrades - but I enjoy the designs and floating around the city getting souls

Those extra moves are also added in the new mode, glad the main game gets them too.

I guess we have entirely different feelings on the combat though- I found it incredibly engaging and enjoyable. When I was doing spirit collection sessions or exploring the city I'd find myself swerving to go fight Visitors because it's so fun. It's why the new mode holds up imo, since the direct combat is so much fun and they've provided new tools as well.

Def the most enjoyable collectathon I've played though.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHGShqcAHlQ

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

thanks Rarity

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo
I’ve heard Digimon has an excellent TCG

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

gently caress I’m still like 20% of the way through BOTW.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Digimon Ftw. Pokemon Ftw.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Hoping people can get this working quickly on Switch emulators. Fans got BOTW working with 60fps and 4K. It'll be awesome to play this on good hardware.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
The Nintendo Switch is the best game hardware ever made, evidenced by its stellar sales figures and excellent game lineup.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
That trailer is insanely good wow

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Mr Hootington posted:

Mainline the original Digimon series a few years back. It was so bad. Beyond the decent monster design there is kothing of value.

Epic fail post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

good games don't make the hardware good...