Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

DancingShade posted:

Well yeah you don't want educated peasants, the serfs might get funny ideas about being allowed to wander off the mud fields and maybe walk all the way to the next village without their local lord's permission.

Now the machines are simple enough to use any idiot can operate them no more need for literacy & numeracy.

edit - French nobilishly: Naturally the children of their betters and the well to do shall receive a positively smashing private tutor education, as they should by way of their station.

(bushes a speck of dust off an elaborate silk coat with lace trimmed sleeves)

the joke is Private Schools in America were literally designed as a reaction to racial integration in the 60s-70s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

MikeCrotch posted:

It's really grim sports betting is just omnipresent in sports coverage now

people watch sports for reasons other than betting?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I get DiscoveryPlus for a few things, and it's hilarious to me that HBO Max is rushing at breakneck speed to slam the Discovery+ catalog into theirs, because aside from science channel stuff and Battlebots, DiscoveryPlus is almost entirely trash TV.

Scrambling to merge your service with a lot of the best TV shows ever made and a decent movie selection with 8,000 hours of 90 Day Fiancee and an infinite well of home flipping shows.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

euphronius posted:

is that different from HBO max ?

HBO Max had a bunch of original programming that got cancelled. MAX fills in those gaps with lovely no-cost exciting Discovery shows like MILF Manor and My 600 Pound Wedding.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Father Wendigo posted:

HBO Max had a bunch of original programming that got cancelled. MAX fills in those gaps with lovely no-cost exciting Discovery shows like MILF Manor and My 600 Pound Wedding.

The current head of WB genuinely thinks scripted programming is just a fad that run its course.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Honestly kind of sad what is happening to HBO, maybe someday we'll get an A24 streaming service with original shows or something

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

bedpan posted:

Yes, but our numbers are very quickly dwindling down

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

it means you can click through the ads

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

just go back to newsgroups

i did finally, man it's so much easier and cheaper

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

do they still use PAR2 files

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

Xaris posted:

lol i love my large 35 year old children. honestly a lot of the moral panic ads people cited as wow they're marketing to teens! was a super big stretch. unless you count any social media marketing as targetting teenagers, but then maybe there shouldn't be any advertisement and data collection on social media if the assumption is the userbase is teenagers, including banning all influencers, but i guess capital doesn't want to open that can of worms.

losing mango juul pods killed 50% of their sales anyways

xaris for once in these threads can you stop rationalizing outright evil people who are actively making the world the world a worse place to live in? i know you mean well i just

wanna have a good thursday

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.
https://wegotthiscovered.com/tv/the-new-hbo-max-ad-free-vs-ultimate-ad-free-differences-explained/

"Ultimate Ad Free" supposedly involves more permitted offline downloads than regular "ad free."

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Does the last few weeks for number feel like a giant pump right before a giant dump (lol) for anyone else? Every financial institution is screaming that in the next month or so the economy is going to start to tank. Granted that number no longer represents the economy...

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

how can it tank

where would the money go?

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

FlapYoJacks posted:

Does the last few weeks for number feel like a giant pump right before a giant dump (lol) for anyone else? Every financial institution is screaming that in the next month or so the economy is going to start to tank. Granted that number no longer represents the economy...

Market has been in a holding pattern waiting for earnings season, which should start reporting over the next couple weeks. If a dump doesn't happen this month then it's likely not happening until the end of the summer.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

SKULL.GIF posted:

Market has been in a holding pattern waiting for earnings season, which should start reporting over the next couple weeks. If a dump doesn't happen this month then it's likely not happening until the end of the summer.

Ok but when in the last two decades has earnings made a difference with number?

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

I did this and I'm honestly kinda underwhelmed compared to torrents. The only real benefit has been that my ISP no longer sends me vaguely threatening letters when they catch me pirating something.

Maybe the search engine I use just sucks. I went with NZBGeek and while it's great for any recently released TV show or movie it sucks for anything else and if it's something that was posted more than 3 years ago it's like 50/50 whether it will actually complete the download.

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

is pepsi ok posted:

I did this and I'm honestly kinda underwhelmed compared to torrents. The only real benefit has been that my ISP no longer sends me vaguely threatening letters when they catch me pirating something.

Maybe the search engine I use just sucks. I went with NZBGeek and while it's great for any recently released TV show or movie it sucks for anything else and if it's something that was posted more than 3 years ago it's like 50/50 whether it will actually complete the download.

all usenets have a relatively short retention period because of the size of data, gotta grab stuff while its hot off the press

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

FlapYoJacks posted:

Ok but when in the last two decades has earnings made a difference with number?

The market is just trading inverse to the dollar, if you want to predict the market or Bitcoin, you have to predict the dollar and Fed rates.

Personally, I don’t think there will be a 2008 collapse but rather the Fed is going to be rapidly increasing its balance sheet which in turn is going to weaken the dollar. There may be some drops here and there though if the Fed has some surprise rate increases.

The market has long detached from the economy, it is all about the dollar at this point.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

The word free still existed in Newspeak, but only to communicate free will. The word could not denote the absence of something, e.g. "The healthcare is free from cost" or "This television is free of advertisements", because economic freedom was no longer supposed to exist in America.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Oglethorpe posted:

do they still use PAR2 files

no clue, i just download whatever and let sabnzbd to the sortin' out

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

Frosted Flake posted:

The word free still existed in Newspeak, but only to communicate free will. The word could not denote the absence of something, e.g. "The healthcare is free from cost" or "This television is free of advertisements", because economic freedom was no longer supposed to exist in America.

It is very annoying that the common understanding of that book is that communism and mass surveillance is bad when the real message is that controlling language is controlling thought, which is exactly what is happening to us.

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

The market just shrugged off the almost implosion of the entire banking sector like it was nothing. There is so much money sitting in money markets waiting to buy the dip in the upcoming recession I am starting to think it won't actually have a significant pullback.

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

is pepsi ok posted:

It is very annoying that the common understanding of that book is that communism and mass surveillance is bad when the real message is that controlling language is controlling thought, which is exactly what is happening to us.

most of all i hate george orwell being right

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
change the thread title back

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

RealityWarCriminal posted:

change the thread title back

it's always ftw when mods and iks have a vision for forums and threads and try to force them to be that :razz:

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender

is pepsi ok posted:

Actually it's about how Stalin is a jerk

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

why was the title changed anyway

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
economics is already a much doomier word than doomsday. this makes the thread darker and gritter, if anything

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

bedpan posted:

People actually watch the sports they bet on?

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

a_gelatinous_cube posted:

The market just shrugged off the almost implosion of the entire banking sector like it was nothing. There is so much money sitting in money markets waiting to buy the dip in the upcoming recession I am starting to think it won't actually have a significant pullback.

Cash is sitting in money market accounts beside they are giving pretty fantastic rates historically speaking, but to “unlock” that money the Fed needs to dramatically cut rates.

I think we are more going towards a “sideways” market.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

HallelujahLee posted:

Mr Hootington posted:

I wish I could change the doomsday economics thread to just economics

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

i see thanks

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
The doomsday makes it fun, bring it back

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

Hootinton has gone too far

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
Wow Mr Hootington makes another ill-informed decision out of step with their posting brethren.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

a_gelatinous_cube posted:

I do wonder if capitalists have always braced for recessions like this or we're in uncharted territory with all the money and computers around today

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

HallelujahLee posted:

hootington's personal fiefdom has to have the opinions he dictates

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
Hoots your job is to probe pfc when it's funny or use a clever post for a thread title that's it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

anime was right posted:

Hoots your job is to probe pfc when it's funny or use a clever post for a thread title that's it

sorry the new cspam moderation philosophy is to have iks who hate the threads they mod and vice versa. dynamic tension. it's extremely stupid and owns