Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?

Subjunctive posted:

While we’re talking about Deck surgery, what’s the most wine I should have before replacing my L1–the iFixit part now comes with the little sensor sticker thing!—and installing the jsaux backplate?

Also, how annoying is it to swap out the paddle buttons on the jsaux backplate if I want to try a different one?

Not terrible at all, just open it up, unscrew the old ones, screw in the new ones, and close it back up. I did this recently because the big ones were making my right hand fall asleep for some reason. Just don’t be like me and forget to remove your sd card.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Is Cyberpunk a good Deck game? Been waffling on getting the Steam version. It’s half off. I have it on PS5 but haven’t started it.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Just remote play the PS5 version

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

My upload is terrible so remote play is a no go.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Remote playing it at home just relies on your LAN not being garbage, just stay home too

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Detective No. 27 posted:

Is Cyberpunk a good Deck game? Been waffling on getting the Steam version. It’s half off. I have it on PS5 but haven’t started it.

Yes, I've played the first couple hours on Deck and it runs great. I will say, you should DEFINITELY get the steam version and not the GOG version. The shaders that come with the steam version are critical to getting it to run well. The GOG version is full of stutters and is generally just poorer performing

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!

Detective No. 27 posted:

I played through it twice on the deck. It's a good game, but nothing amazing. Plays really well aside from occasional audio crackling that hasn't been fixed afaik. I got tired of it pretty quick, which is odd for a game like that, but I just felt like the game didn't really have any consequences and played out more like GTA than say RDR2.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Yeah going into it expecting it to be crazy reactive and branching is going to lead to disappointment.

I played it through at launch when it was a totally busted mess and then I played it again after the most recent patch and it all worked fine but there wasn’t any extra polish added.

They gave it tons of attention and care through to the end of the first act which makes it feel like something really special and then the back 90% of the game is nowhere near as well crafted.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

great game

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Vampire Survivors and both of its DLCs are on sale.

:getin:

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!

Fuzz posted:

I uh... hmmm

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

So sick of getting nickel and dimed by these greedy indie devs

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!

History Comes Inside! posted:

So sick of getting nickel and dimed by these greedy indie devs
More like quarter'd and two pennies, but :shrug:

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!
In other news:

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Assymetrical sticks gently caress off forever

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

How about you experiment with making game pass games run under wine, instead

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Why would they do that when the whole point is to try and trap you into their walled garden App Store that absolutely nobody has fallen for yet

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Fuzz posted:

Serious question, is there a real game under the hype or is it just a simple time waster? Everybody is raving about it, but it looks like an extremely simple game of "run around and auto-attack stuff".

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!

Why would they do that when the whole point is to try and trap you into their walled garden App Store that absolutely nobody has fallen for yet
Microsoft has had a long love/hate relationship with the Internet and downloading things. None of their download services for pretty much anything outside of XBox has been good. Just one dumpster fire after another.

Feels like they should just get a dropbox account or google drive account and distribute games that way.

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!

Hopper posted:

Serious question, is there a real game under the hype or is it just a simple time waster? Everybody is raving about it, but it looks like an extremely simple game of "run around and auto-attack stuff".
It's... yeah, it's that. But there is something fun about it that makes me come back over and over again. New combinations, new levels, new heroes -- plus it's cheap.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

It’s got a little strategy to it. It’s just a good package overall and there’s a lot of content and unlocks. Just like every game it’s not for everyone, but it’s a great turn your brain off game. The whole thing is like 7 bucks full price so you should definitely give it to the dev.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
I see, thanks. It is l not my kind of game then., but it's cool they are so successful with it.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Hopper posted:

Its all auto attack but that means your brain is 100% free to focus on positioning and dodging stuff. I'm not gonna call it bullet hell but, maneuvering and planning your route around hazards wrt what character you're playing and your current build because those have different considerations, is a real skill. But also a skill that isn't too demanding on your reflexes or ability to press buttons so you can kinda trance out while playing it.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
The developer basically owns the controls to electrodes in the reward centre of your brain.

There's some game mechanical depth in how you are trying to build the character during the run, but it's mostly (perhaps accidentally) abusing your brain to constantly feel rewarded. It's good that this isn't being used for evil.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

The developer came from gambling machine software, so this is a bit of a redemption story I suppose.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Got an ATH-M50xSTS (USB) delivered today, as Discord in desktop mode wouldn't pick up my XLR mic from my audio interface, and I was forced to use the internal mic. Using the Valve dock, I've plugged in the headset via USB and it plays back audio okay, but in Discord whenever I change the input/output it BLASTS white noise at me. Worst of all, it's not picking up the mic at all.

This was going to be my headset for when I'm at my partner's place or traveling to game with buds, any suggestions?

e: nvm now everything is white noise, lol.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

The Saddest Rhino posted:

What's the maternity pillow that's suggested for the deck? Is it this?

The one I saw was kind of like this:

I can also recommend a reading cushion:

Get something that matches your furniture or place or aesthetic or whatever.

Mescal posted:

i'll regret this later but just copy paste the entire thing in sic if it fits
Not sure why I suggested PMing over the OP into the second post when we could ask The Saddest Rhino or Beve Stuscemi to. Mescal?

Heran Bago fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Apr 13, 2023

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Got a biz trip next week so looking at games on Fanatical for the plane and hotel in the evenings.. Thinking Dredge, Cult of the Lamb and Blasphemous. Some good deals to be had!

Are the random key egg things usually just straight up trash or is there a decent shot of something worth playing?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

priznat posted:

Got a biz trip next week so looking at games on Fanatical for the plane and hotel in the evenings.. Thinking Dredge, Cult of the Lamb and Blasphemous. Some good deals to be had!

Are the random key egg things usually just straight up trash or is there a decent shot of something worth playing?

There’s some good stuff in the random keys. You will end up with a lot of trash. But also good things. Only one way to find out.

I think I’ve gotten Doom 64 like three or four times by now.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
I got one of the games they were selling for a 20bux that I didn’t really want but it does mean there are sort of valuable games up for grabs.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
So crusader kings 3 just won't launch for me. I found the below instructions on reddit but I cannot for the life of me find the steam directory. Anyone else have this issue fixed? Where is the steam directory? I feel like such a dumbass

https://www.reddit.com/r/Stellaris/...nt=share_button

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

Oscar Wild posted:

So crusader kings 3 just won't launch for me. I found the below instructions on reddit but I cannot for the life of me find the steam directory. Anyone else have this issue fixed? Where is the steam directory? I feel like such a dumbass

https://www.reddit.com/r/Stellaris/...nt=share_button

/home/USERNAME/.steam/steam/steamapps/common

That .steam is a hidden folder.

Then you can Ctrl+H to show hidden folders, or click the hamburger button top right of the file window and select "Show Hidden Folders"

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Seems pretty decent.

quote:

Lifetime sales of Valve's Steam Deck is going to surpass three million units in 2023, according to a report from research firm Omdia. The report claims Valve sold 1.62 million units of the Steam Deck in 2022, which is expected to grow by 14 percent to 1.85 million units in 2023.

https://www.vgchartz.com/article/45...ts%20in%202023.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

I like the basic Souls gameplay and roguelikes still but I'm old and need difficulty options. I don't want to have to grind against difficult parts and get good I just want to chill out with a game. The granular difficulty options in Dead Cells are perfect for letting me find just the right balance to keep playing.

It seems like a lot of roguelikes are adding difficulty options but unfortunately most Souls games still refuse to budge on their difficulty purity.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Athanatos posted:

/home/USERNAME/.steam/steam/steamapps/common

That .steam is a hidden folder.

Then you can Ctrl+H to show hidden folders, or click the hamburger button top right of the file window and select "Show Hidden Folders"

Thank you! Can't wait to get off work and give it a go

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Souls games do have difficulty options? They are called summons. At first it was player summons but by Elden Ring they have ashes which serve the same function with various degrees of success

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Dolphin understands tilde-notation, so ~/.steam/steam/steamapps/common will point to that folder no matter where your $HOME or ~USERNAME points to.

In case you've ever wondered about the tildes you find in academic URLs sometimes. That's an indication that particular page lies in someone's home directory.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Elden Ring's difficulty slider is "how long do you want to dick around and level up and get cool spells/ashes before you try that boss again?"

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Summons and levelling up are absolutely not “difficulty options” and claiming otherwise is silly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Summons and levelling up are absolutely not “difficulty options” and claiming otherwise is silly.

I will be honest I don’t particularly care whether you find it acceptable or not

It is what it is