Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

RULES OF NATURE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

Cao Ni Ma posted:

I still dont think its a weapon in the conventional sense, I can see it being like a jamming system that blocks the use of giant robots. Or it could be loving instrumentality and Delling + Prosperas plan is to upload everyone into a self contained AI sphere where there would be no more wants, so no need for more wars

Agree with the first part, doubt the second. My money is on Q0 being mass mind control/human pacification. Hence the "Quiet." Basically a reverse-GUND linkup, where rather than getting direct control over a machine and risking input overload as feedback, you are under direct control of the system and feed information into it.

Test Pattern fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Apr 13, 2023

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i think it's gonna newtype mindmeld everyone in the solar system. everyone's brains shoved into one machine via GUND and directly connected into each other.

this will unite the proletariat and finally destroy capitalism for good? i'll be honest while this seems like the direction to me i'm not sure what anyone really gets out of that

Ghost of Babyhead
Jun 28, 2008
Grimey Drawer
In the opening, there's a flash of a piece of machinery with red Permet lines on it. I assume this is Quiet Zero in action. The shot is immediately after a shot of one of Asticassia's training grounds, giving the sense that this thing is big.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/180223/status/1646533115027009536?t=_2yPUPrRlfVMca9mHVxjIQ&s=19

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Well I guess that answers that.

They are good to go for a full 50 episodes, if they want to.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

let the plastic flow through you

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

I R SMART LIKE ROCK posted:

let the plastic flow through you

Wait so permet is just plastic?
Always has been.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I mean, you've probably got about a credit card worth of microplastics in your blood, yeah.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Waffleman_ posted:

I mean, you've probably got about a credit card worth of microplastics in your blood, yeah.

This is a JoJo stand

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Metallica but plastic

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Waffleman_ posted:

Metallica but plastic

[Plastic Love]

Kale
May 14, 2010

I mean the series literally got the West to stop being so dismissive of Gundam and Mecha shows for the first time since Gundam Wing like a generation or two ago. Not even smash hits in Japan like Unicorn, Hathaways Flash, Gundam the Origin and Build Fighters could do that. Its essentially done the impossible already with that feat alone so I'll easily believe the Aerial has record launch sales for an HG kit

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

"I don't think G-Witch is performing very well, ratingswise" says the fool, the moron

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

who is saying that?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

The one guy who keeps theoryposting about the ratings being bad in here, for one

BlitznBurst
Feb 28, 2019

chuds spamming "go woke get broke," mostly

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Who was dismissing Gundam

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Arist posted:

The one guy who keeps theoryposting about the ratings being bad in here, for one

when was the last time that happened?

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
It's very weird how having an obviously successful show still inspires such thinskinned behavior. Chiasaur was last numbersposting in here positively in favor of the show, if this shadowy guy was instead tsob kicking up a more recent debate about the success then it seemed more curiousity than trying to put down the show.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

It's not weird it's just homophobia/misogyny

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Kale posted:

I mean the series literally got the West to stop being so dismissive of Gundam and Mecha shows for the first time since Gundam Wing like a generation or two ago. Not even smash hits in Japan like Unicorn, Hathaways Flash, Gundam the Origin and Build Fighters could do that. Its essentially done the impossible already with that feat alone so I'll easily believe the Aerial has record launch sales for an HG kit

I was... not aware of this? Neither the west being 'dismissive' or mecha shows nor G-Witch doing something particularly notable in that space. My understanding was the disparity between the mecha subgenre and other anime subgenre was pretty consistent for both audiences. Whatever shonen high school tournament anime is being vomited up this week just seems to have broader appeal whether you're in SEA or NA.

Remember also that Bandai loving bungled the early 2000s rollout in the west, then subsequently did the bare minimum to keep a toe in the market. If G-Witch did anything different, it's by being "mecha Utena" and getting all the people who know about the latter to pay attention. Beyond that, I feel like this claim needs some more substantiating. But I'm also biased because even after that initial push I remained a fan, and Gundam in particular is my preferred animated franchise, anime or otherwise.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

3 posted:

Fascist otherization doesn't have to be explicitly nationalist or ethnocentrist, it just has to specify an outgroup that is the cause of the ingroup's social and economic woes; in this case, Delling has made it pretty clear that this outgroup in question is Gundams, whether it's the physical robots themselves or just the nebulous philosophical concept of them, and has clearly structured a big part of the Benerit group's operation around this concept. Likewise, he may be nominally anti-war, but it's clear from how he addresses it (especially his big speech in the prologue) that this is due to a kind of romanticization of war and the soldiers who fight it.

I don't think this view really holds water, even if I agreed that Delling made Gundams an other in society for the simple reason that the need for an other doesn't disappear in fascist states. If you successfully manage to purge a demonized group then you need to find a new group to blame societies ills upon, and there's no indication Delling has done that in the near 2 decades since the Folksvangr incident despite Gundams not being a thing in the time frame so far as we know. I don't agree that he made them an outgroup though because I don't think we see him using Gundams or Witches (who are only bad because of their association with Gundams, and not for any inherent traits) as a scapegoat for any social problems. The only thing he ever held them to blame for was being inherently lethal, which is actually true so far as he knows. Not for being the "real" reason people are poor, or why society is hosed up or what have you.

I wouldn't call his big speech a romanticization of war or soldiers either honestly (or say he's anti-war), since the only real point he hammers at is "becoming a soldier should not be inherently lethal for everyone who does it". Which...yeah? It's a good point. I suppose if the big point was "humans should be the ones to kill humans, not machines" like with Treize in Gundam Wing then you might have a point, but (a) he only says that in service of a broader point about how using Gundams kills the pilot and (b) he has no problem with the use of drones, which are also machines taking human lives; so clearly his problem isn't with the use of technology to enhance soldiers or save their use on the front lines.

Plus, he legitimately seems to buy into the view that Gundams are a curse. Not to the degree Sarius does, since he's willing to work with them for some grander purpose, but his comments about them to Miorine etc. seem to reinforce the idea he has some actual conviction on the point, even if he's willing to compromise it for some other goal. It's also worth pointing out that, to the best of his knowledge, Gundams aren't living things; so they can't really be othered. Witches can, but again, witches are only demonized for their association with Gundams and not as inherently bad from birth.

tsob fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Apr 13, 2023

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Technowolf posted:

[Plastic Love]

[Plastic Beach]

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Warmachine posted:

I was... not aware of this? Neither the west being 'dismissive' or mecha shows nor G-Witch doing something particularly notable in that space. My understanding was the disparity between the mecha subgenre and other anime subgenre was pretty consistent for both audiences. Whatever shonen high school tournament anime is being vomited up this week just seems to have broader appeal whether you're in SEA or NA.

Remember also that Bandai loving bungled the early 2000s rollout in the west, then subsequently did the bare minimum to keep a toe in the market. If G-Witch did anything different, it's by being "mecha Utena" and getting all the people who know about the latter to pay attention. Beyond that, I feel like this claim needs some more substantiating. But I'm also biased because even after that initial push I remained a fan, and Gundam in particular is my preferred animated franchise, anime or otherwise.

anecdotally gwitch seems to have attracted a larger audience of people that i otherwise would nto expect to have any interest in mecha, let alone gundam specifically. that being said i too was not aware of it being dismissed, just something not as many people watch compared to in japan

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

I Am Fowl posted:

[Plastic Beach]

[Plastic Heart]

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

tsob posted:

I don't think this view really holds water, even if I agreed that Delling made Gundams an other in society for the simple reason that the need for an other doesn't disappear in fascist states. If you successfully manage to purge a demonized group then you need to find a new group to blame societies ills upon, and there's no indication Delling has done that in the near 2 decades since the Folksvangr incident despite Gundams not being a thing in the time frame so far as we know. I don't agree that he made them an outgroup though because I don't think we see him using Gundams or Witches (who are only bad because of their association with Gundams, and not for any inherent traits) as a scapegoat for any social problems. The only thing he ever held them to blame for was being inherently lethal, which is actually true so far as he knows. Not for being the "real" reason people are poor, or why society is hosed up or what have you.

I wouldn't call his big speech a romanticization of war or soldiers either honestly (or say he's anti-war), since the only real point he hammers at is "becoming a soldier should not be inherently lethal for everyone who does it". Which...yeah? It's a good point. I suppose if the big point was "humans should be the ones to kill humans, not machines" like with Treize in Gundam Wing then you might have a point, but (a) he only says that in service of a broader point about how using Gundams kills the pilot and (b) he has no problem with the use of drones, which are also machines taking human lives; so clearly his problem isn't with the use of technology to enhance soldiers or save their use on the front lines.

Plus, he legitimately seems to buy into the view that Gundams are a curse. Not to the degree Sarius does, since he's willing to work with them for some grander purpose, but his comments about them to Miorine etc. seem to reinforce the idea he has some actual conviction on the point, even if he's willing to compromise it for some other goal. It's also worth pointing out that, to the best of his knowledge, Gundams aren't living things; so they can't really be othered. Witches can, but again, witches are only demonized for their association with Gundams and not as inherently bad from birth.

You're splitting a lot of hairs in order to "no true fascist" someone who has been portrayed as an unambiguous social darwinist hypercapitalist.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

3 posted:

You're splitting a lot of hairs in order to "no true fascist" someone who has been portrayed as an unambiguous social darwinist hypercapitalist.

I think the main contention is that words have meanings and I honestly don't recall him being particularly capitalistic (he doesn't seem like someone who cares about the accumulation of wealth); and aside from the dueling system at the school which seems kinda more like a specific political ploy is he a social "survival of the fittest" darwinist? I haven't watched the first season in a while, so what has he indicated about his beliefs so far?

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Arc Hammer posted:

[Plastic Heart]

I tried to continue the chain and now I just have Barbie Girl stuck in my head you fuckers.

Kale posted:

I think there's a major component of actually being advertised too, not to mention streaming platform changes. IBO still only got the "meh, throw it on toonami and see if it sticks" treatment.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

3 posted:

You're splitting a lot of hairs in order to

that's just tsob

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Raenir Salazar posted:

I think the main contention is that words have meanings and I honestly don't recall him being particularly capitalistic (he doesn't seem like someone who cares about the accumulation of wealth); and aside from the dueling system at the school which seems kinda more like a specific political ploy is he a social "survival of the fittest" darwinist? I haven't watched the first season in a while, so what has he indicated about his beliefs so far?

He had one of the smaller companies in the Group wiped out because they posted a loss, even though Grassley noted that they were on a trajectory to be posting profits immediately, which fulfills both "survival of the fittest" and "extremely capitalistic".

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Just means they didn't cook the books hard enough.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

Raenir Salazar posted:

One of the first things you see him do as head of the Benerit group in the show is unilaterally cutting loose an underperforming company from the group's finances despite Sarius' objections that they could still contribute, and his blunt insistence during the hearing on Aerial's status as a Gundam that, and I quote:

Delling Rembran posted:

I am vested with power. You have none. The powerless shut their mouths and obey; those are the rules of our world.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

3 posted:

I don't think any of that is "splitting hairs", even putting aside that being an authoritarian, which I outright said he was, is bad too. There's a difference between being an authoritarian and a fascist though, and Delling doesn't seem to fit the actual definition of fascism.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

tsob posted:

I don't think any of that is "splitting hairs", even putting aside that being an authoritarian, which I outright said he was, is bad too. There's a difference between being an authoritarian and a fascist though, and Delling doesn't seem to fit the actual definition of fascism.

Come on dude this is exactly what splitting hairs is

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

ninjewtsu posted:

Come on dude this is exactly what splitting hairs is

I disagree, because, again, I don't think pointing out that someone doesn't fit the definition of a thing is quibbling over minor details. He can be bad without being a fascist.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

tsob posted:

No, it's definitely splitting hairs in the sense that you're basically going "well akshually" on traits I've listed not because they don't fit the criteria, but because they don't fit the criteria enough to fit your extremely narrow pedantry. Again, fascism is capitalism in decay, and he meets enough of the criteria that I'm comfortable with referring to him as such.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

3 posted:

No, it's definitely splitting hairs in the sense that you're basically going "well akshually" on traits I've listed not because they don't fit the criteria, but because they don't fit the criteria enough to fit your extremely narrow pedantry. Again, fascism is capitalism in decay, and he meets enough of the criteria that I'm comfortable with referring to him as such.

No, I'm going "they don't fit the definition at all". I was not aware that fascism is now defined by being capitalism in decay and basically nothing else matters though, even though "capitalism in decay" could fit a number of government types anyway; especially when "decay" is a subjective metric and most democracies could be described as decaying capitalist societies to some degree.

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop
I'm not sure how Delling qualifies as fascist either. He may share the authoritarian and militaristic qualities fascism has, but his regime doesn't feel like it fits a fascist one would, and if it did they'd telegraph it far more explicitly especially with how efficient G-Witch is with its screen time. Remember this is the same franchise whose first series literally had Nazi knockoffs, they wouldn't be subtle about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

tsob posted:

No, I'm going "they don't fit the definition at all". I was not aware that fascism is now defined by being capitalism in decay and basically nothing else matters though, even though "capitalism in decay" could fit a number of government types anyway; especially when "decay" is a subjective metric and most democracies could be described as decaying capitalist societies to some degree.

This isn't an issue of not fitting the definition then, it's an issue of you probably not having read enough to give an accurate political assessment of what fascism is.