Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Re: "if everyone is poor companies will suffer from lack of customers!"- iirc this isn't true, and what is happening are companies are starting to cater exclusively to 10%er whales while ditching cheaper markets altogether. I know in some cases "cheaper" options have gone away because margins are too low even if volumes are good. You see this especially in the auto market, why sell 3 budget cars when 1 "luxury" model sells for the same amount at a higher margin and is constantly backlogged?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

The Candyman Can :science:

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread

Mr Hootington posted:

I had been thinking of shortening the title to [Economics] or [Econ] to free up characters for titles. It will just stay [Doom Econ].

The thread hasn't been changed in anyway either. Some of you need to chill out.

Call it [Doodoo Econ]

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Justin Tyme posted:

Re: "if everyone is poor companies will suffer from lack of customers!"- iirc this isn't true, and what is happening are companies are starting to cater exclusively to 10%er whales while ditching cheaper markets altogether. I know in some cases "cheaper" options have gone away because margins are too low even if volumes are good. You see this especially in the auto market, why sell 3 budget cars when 1 "luxury" model sells for the same amount at a higher margin and is constantly backlogged?

They are going to do that, but arguably it also means a relatively shrinking market due to the fact there are only so many whales. Usually, severely unequal societies don’t prosper for long.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

nah, it won't even pass the House. mccarthy has been trying pretty hard to find the magic combo of crazy that will get him 218 votes, to no avail

Doesn't McCarthy have some kind of gun pointed at him from the hard-core crazies? They got some rules package concessions that allow any of them to call a no confidence vote if he doesn't do exactly what they want?

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP

Justin Tyme posted:

when will those cheap Chinese cars become available in the USA?

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

PostNouveau posted:

Biden would have other avenues to try it again because they're losing in court because they did it a really loving dumb way.

They won't, but it would be available to them. Bernie said it was an executive order away in the 2020 campaign and he already had the language for it ready to go.

he could do this anytime thats the point and hasent that should tell you all you need to know

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Femur posted:

We are only a free market if you're from the part of asia that was occupied and managed by axis forces during ww2

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

PostNouveau posted:

Biden would have other avenues to try it again because they're losing in court because they did it a really loving dumb way.

They won't, but it would be available to them. Bernie said it was an executive order away in the 2020 campaign and he already had the language for it ready to go.

bernie said a lot of things lol. doesn't mean they were correct

besides, if the current method of debt cancellation is drawing scotus challenge, then so would an executive order. and the current scotus is even less likely to be OK with that.

Turtle Sandbox
Dec 31, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Ardennes posted:

They are going to do that, but arguably it also means a relatively shrinking market due to the fact there are only so many whales. Usually, severely unequal societies don’t prosper for long.

The winners of capitalism will be elevated to royalty, as we go back to feudalism but this time it will work because money has chosen the wisest monarchs for us all.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Femur posted:

lmao

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Turtle Sandbox posted:

money has chosen the wisest monarchs for us all.

always has

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

Femur posted:

never

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin

Femur posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRG0Wai4sR0

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

bernie said a lot of things lol. doesn't mean they were correct

besides, if the current method of debt cancellation is drawing scotus challenge, then so would an executive order. and the current scotus is even less likely to be OK with that.

There's a pretty solid foundation because Obama federalized student debt, but yeah the Supreme Court would undo anything. Maybe he could order deletion of all the records immediately to prevent court-ordered backtracking?

Turtle Sandbox
Dec 31, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Gorson posted:

always has

Real king poo poo right here.

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

heres a concept he can simply pack the court or even better ignore their ruling

oh wait i forgot about decorum when convenient

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

If the government just went ahead and actually did the forgiveness part and dared the 6 ancient demons of the court to materially undo that what the gently caress options would they have? This whole thing is loving stupid

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

HallelujahLee posted:

heres a concept he can simply pack the court or even better ignore their ruling

oh wait i forgot about decorum when convenient

ah yes, one weird trick

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

ah yes, one weird trick

yeah its always very hard or impossible for the dems but when the chuds do it its very bad and a breach of decorum i already know the old excuses loser

Turtle Sandbox
Dec 31, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

the bitcoin of weed posted:

If the government just went ahead and actually did the forgiveness part and dared the 6 ancient demons of the court to materially undo that what the gently caress options would they have? This whole thing is loving stupid

Imagine thinking the Dems are capable of even simple political maneuvers like this.

This is literally the reason the ACA is still a law after the entire GOP spent years running on getting rid of it.

No one is willing to do it because their constituents now have healthcare, alot don't even know that's what "Obamacare" is, but they will know who to blame when they suddenly lose it.

Pf. Hikikomoriarty
Feb 15, 2003

RO YNSHO

Slippery Tilde
deleting the records is the best way to get rid of debt. then there's no take backsies

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Soon our enemies will collapse and their citizens will feel our wrath
https://twitter.com/SquawkStreet/status/1646593014456786944?t=5EcEyV8CBidvxpZKaFW9-A&s=19

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Turtle Sandbox posted:

Imagine thinking the Dems are capable of even simple political maneuvers like this.

The democrats are not because they are cowards and cuckolds but many of their sycophants think they wouldn't do this because it would just be too legally difficult, instead of the former

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

you can get rich off all the pathetic excuses made for dems not doing this or that its always made by pathetic sycophants like 1500 train crashes a year are ok loser

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Pf. Hikikomoriarty posted:

deleting the records is the best way to get rid of debt. then there's no take backsies

worked for brian kemp

https://apnews.com/article/north-america-lawsuits-us-news-ap-top-news-elections-877ee1015f1c43f1965f63538b035d3f

no one ever did anything about it

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

PostNouveau posted:

Doesn't McCarthy have some kind of gun pointed at him from the hard-core crazies? They got some rules package concessions that allow any of them to call a no confidence vote if he doesn't do exactly what they want?

it’s filled with blanks. the vote of no confidence doesn’t occur the moment it’s filed and only the crazies will vote for it. if he’s lucky the democrats will fully abstain from the vote allowing him to claim that the gop conference supported and saved him. Otherwise it’ll just fail by like 4 against 431

Raskolnikov38 has issued a correction as of 21:06 on Apr 13, 2023

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

oh yah I meant to post this during fast-food chat last week:

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

HallelujahLee posted:

yeah its always very hard or impossible for the dems but when the chuds do it its very bad and a breach of decorum i already know the old excuses loser

when chuds do what exactly

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

The median rental price in Manhattan has topped $4,150 for the first time in Big Apple history, according to a jaw-dropping March market report compiled by brokerage Douglas Elliman and appraisers Miller Samuel.

Specifically, the study tallied a median rental price of $4,175 per month, which alone would set back city tenants $50,100 per year.

This would mean that the average New Yorker would need to earn a salary of at least $160,000 per year to get by.

Meanwhile, the average rental price hit a higher $5,115 per month.

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

when chuds do what exactly

are you mentally ill

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009

Justin Tyme posted:

Oh I'm sure they'll do that. But unless these dumbasses suddenly find a way to disprove the labor theory of value and use that knowledge to their advantage they will be up a creek if they abandon real power completely to live in their own little fake rear end world.

Maybe no one ever comes and invades the US, but if it keeps up like this they'll eventually be irrelevant like North Korea is today, except without even the possibility of pulling up by having trade open because no one is going to want their trash, especially when China will be producing better products at a lower price and is helping everyone who didn't decide to self destruct do so as well.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Relevant Tangent posted:

different places have different ethos,

???

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

HallelujahLee posted:

are you mentally ill

are you? if not, can you give us examples of when a chud president ignored a scotus or even any other federal court order?

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

One of these days the idiot trumpists are going to have enough leverage to do something really, really stupid and the debt ceiling looks like the lowest hanging fruit.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

are you? if not, can you give us examples of when a chud president ignored a scotus or even any other federal court order?

Dick Cheney declaring himself not part of the executive branch was very funny.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Willa Rogers posted:

The median rental price in Manhattan has topped $4,150 for the first time in Big Apple history, according to a jaw-dropping March market report compiled by brokerage Douglas Elliman and appraisers Miller Samuel.

Specifically, the study tallied a median rental price of $4,175 per month, which alone would set back city tenants $50,100 per year.

This would mean that the average New Yorker would need to earn a salary of at least $160,000 per year to get by.

Meanwhile, the average rental price hit a higher $5,115 per month.
i know some people who have positions that they, and probably others, consider "prestigious" jobs, and they are getting forced out of manhattan

the reactions i get when i propose queens are always enjoyable. not one person has responded with interest.

i mean it's crazy, but part of what drives up prices is people refusing to commute a couple stops past the east river

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

are you even aware of whats going on in chud states or in general with the laws and gerrymandering their passing like are you a deliberate dipshit 100% of the time? are you already forgetting bush declaring war without congressional approval

buchanon joe can sign a executive order right now to immediately forgoe student loans

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

some top notch apologism for the dems from an apparent creep that thinks all russians are bacteria and considers train derailiments good and normal

Woke Mind Virus
Aug 22, 2005

when the cheeto took home classified documents

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

i know some people who have positions that they, and probably others, consider "prestigious" jobs, and they are getting forced out of manhattan

the reactions i get when i propose queens are always enjoyable. not one person has responded with interest.

i mean it's crazy, but part of what drives up prices is people refusing to commute a couple stops past the east river

i guess but it's not like queens is cheap though. I guess relative to manhattan it is

I have friends that live in queens and they take as long to get into manhattan as I do from Jersey