Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anachronist
Feb 13, 2009

BlueBlazer posted:

Excuse me for localizing my anecdote too much. For I've crafted the greatest sin, an imperfect statement of consideration.

A day hike wouldn't necessarily be considered mountaineering.

I think it's implied a certain equipment, implied strenuous performance, not merely statistical prominence are required to fall into that category.

Rainer is also more like 1:5300 fatality:attempt and I might speculate suffers from similar characteristics to Everest since it’s a state high point and is hard but not that hard. Mont Blanc is more dangerous maybe 1:1000. Obviously mountaineering is more dangerous than sitting on the couch but you’re still overstating it a little bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022

knox_harrington posted:

Lol I think you're underestimating it, please wear a gopro and record your attempt

e: I got the top of it in a photo this morning, it's just peeking out on the skyline above the cabin

I might become an alright alpine scrambler at some point fooling around here in the pnw; i will never become 12 hours of strenuous scrambling type in shape. the matterhorn is a very strenuous, very exposed, nontechnical scramble and if you bust your rear end you can have a hot shower in a hotel the night of your summit

that said i'm insanely jealous you're there

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

I come from the east coast US, so I find anything above a thousand or two meters to be superfluous.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Platystemon posted:

It’s heartbreaking to see all these kids risk their lives.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hx_2YF_Yo2I

Yeah on Fuji your only enemy is how long can you wait to clamber up some of the slightly steeper parts of the path behind the obasans and stuff, but during the hiking season it's not bad at all unless you try to go from sea level to the summit in a day, you will be quite sore and feeling very O2 starved by the time you get to the summit, 12,000 feet of elevation in 24h is no joke.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqy0tfMIX8w

Off season is significantly colder though, and you can indeed get in some poo poo, mostly frostbite.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Apr 7, 2023

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Ohtori Akio posted:

I might become an alright alpine scrambler at some point fooling around here in the pnw; i will never become 12 hours of strenuous scrambling type in shape. the matterhorn is a very strenuous, very exposed, nontechnical scramble and if you bust your rear end you can have a hot shower in a hotel the night of your summit

that said i'm insanely jealous you're there

Lol fair enough.

Here's a pic I took of it last summer from the summit of the Dent Blanche

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Colonel Cancer posted:

It's not actually tragic to die doing what you love tbh

We’ll be sure to tell that to the people whose job it is to drag your blissfully smiling corpse off a mountain peak or underwater cave.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

because it bears repeating, if you think it's not tragic to die because you were an adrenaline junkie dumbass, here's your sign

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION

BlueBlazer posted:

Excuse me for localizing my anecdote too much. For I've crafted the greatest sin, an imperfect statement of consideration.

A day hike wouldn't necessarily be considered mountaineering.

I think it's implied a certain equipment, implied strenuous performance, not merely statistical prominence are required to fall into that category.

That's exactly what people are saying, it was you who mentioned the 10k thing like it was somehow relevant to how dangerous a climb is. The height doesn't have any impact on the safety really until much higher elevations than 10k feet...

No one's saying you committed the greatest sin, you were just wrong. Chill out, we're all posting buddies here.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Potato Salad posted:

New Hampshire kills people because they didn't appreciate just how rapidly weather can become extremely bad.

We have a saying in vt and nh…”don’t like the weather? Wait a few minutes”

Edit: and yeah the white mountains seem to kill 4-5 people or so a year because you can start a hike at 70 deg in the day and then the wonderful combo of jet stream wind exposure (even if it’s only like 6k ft mt Washington and the area have enough prominence to get world record breaking wind while the valleys below them are tame by comparison) and temperature swings down to 40s or lower has a particular effect on people who won’t pack so much as a jacket (don’t even ask me about people who started the day with light socks on and have nothing else).. also the fact the entire nh hikes are mostly under tree cover while also involving a lot of bouldering at times, oh yeah and it might have rained on those rocks making them slick as ice, (does it rain at Everest?). you also get no direct sunlight for larger portions of your trek and might be soaking wet. Assuming the sun didn’t already dip because it sets around 6 pm outside of peak summer and you beat your expected time right?

ethanol fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Apr 7, 2023

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

I would really prefer if you would be quiet.
Apparently in the summer months base camp can go from 4 degrees Celsius at night to 22 in the day. So yes it does rain in the summer!

quote:

At an altitude of 5,200 meters above sea level, EBC has a climate that is characterized as a mountain plateau climate, which can be cold throughout the year. The average temperature is -17 degrees Celsius, which is considered the coldest during the year mostly from mid-December to January. During spring months the temperature warms up rapidly but the night remains still cold and chilly, dropping to below freezing. Temperatures range throughout the year from around 22 degrees in the height of summer to as low as -5 degrees in winter during the day, with temperatures at night ranging from -15 in the winter to around 4 degrees in the summer months.

Everest Base Camp Weather in Four Seasons
Spring (April - May)
Daytime temperature: 15°C
Nighttime temperature: -1°C
Wind speed: 11km/h
Precipitation/month: 7mm
Sunshine hours/day: 9

Spring at EBC is one of the best times of the year to visit. The weather is generally bright with clear skies and few clouds, so visibility of the summit is much better. The base camp is fully open, and the tent guesthouses are up once more, giving tourists a place to stay and eat in traditional Tibetan style. Temperatures may not be as high as summer, but it is still warm enough to be comfortable.

Monsoon Season (June - September)
Daytime temperature: 22°C
Nighttime temperature: 4°C
Wind speed: 10km/h
Precipitation/month: 170mm
Sunshine hours/day: 7-8

The monsoon season sees a much higher rainfall at EBC than throughout the rest of the year, and while some areas of the west of Tibet are not as wet, the area around Mount Everest sees high rainfall for this altitude. Temperatures are high, reaching up to around 22 degrees, but the higher rainfall can make the area muddy and hard to traverse.

Plan a visit to Everest Base Camp in September
Autumn (October - November)
Daytime temperature: 17°C
Nighttime temperature: -8°C
Wind speed: 22km/h
Precipitation/month: 2.5mm
Sunshine hours/day: 9-10

The autumn season in Tibet is another great time to visit EBC, with the skies being clear once more after the monsoon rains and the landscape still as lush and verdant as ever. Bright sunshine is warming, with highs of up to 17 degrees, though the winds can still be strong and cold, making it feel cooler. The heavier clouds are gone now, and the summit of the mountain is once more clearly visible from the base camp.

Winter (November - April)
Daytime temperature: -5°C
Nighttime temperature: -15°C
Wind speed: 7-8km/h
Precipitation/month: 5mm
Sunshine hours/day: 7-8

Winter is the coldest time of year at EBC, though January is actually the coldest month, with an average temperature of around -10°C through the season. However, there is almost no rain and the winds have died off a little, bringing in clear skies and bright sunshine that can still make it worth visiting. Despite being the middle of winter, there is often little snow around EBC, and it is still possible to travel to the base camp easily, even in January.

That's only base camp though.

Tenkaris fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Apr 7, 2023

Syd Midnight
Sep 23, 2005

Leperflesh posted:

The death zone is above 8000 meters, that's 26,000 feet.

People die in the wilderness from wilderness dangers because they're unprepared or have an accident, and being at high elevation can make a minor accident into a more serious one, but 10k feet is not some kind of significant bar where you're passing from safety into danger.

It is if you're baking a cake according to directions. explain that away good sir

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

orange juche posted:

Yeah on Fuji your only enemy is how long can you wait to clamber up some of the slightly steeper parts of the path behind the obasans and stuff, but during the hiking season it's not bad at all unless you try to go from sea level to the summit in a day, you will be quite sore and feeling very O2 starved by the time you get to the summit, 12,000 feet of elevation in 24h is no joke.

I felt great hiking up in about 4-5 hours but then made the mistake of racing my friend the last 100 feet to the top (the lion statues) and instantly gave myself altitude sickness. Headache, no appetite, couldn’t sleep. The next day I had a hot chocolate out of a vending machine before the climb down and just as quickly felt better again. Beautiful view at the top though.

For reference I was 24 at the time and a runner/rock climber coming from a city at sea level, so in pretty good shape.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

orange juche posted:

because it bears repeating, if you think it's not tragic to die because you were an adrenaline junkie dumbass, here's your sign

While that is tragic, it's more tragic to die early because you're a flabby neckbeard computer janitor with metabolic syndrome.

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022

putin is a oval office posted:

That's exactly what people are saying, it was you who mentioned the 10k thing like it was somehow relevant to how dangerous a climb is. The height doesn't have any impact on the safety really until much higher elevations than 10k feet...

No one's saying you committed the greatest sin, you were just wrong. Chill out, we're all posting buddies here.

loling a little at the idea that altitude is no big deal until youre at himalayan type of elevations

knox_harrington posted:

Lol fair enough.

Here's a pic I took of it last summer from the summit of the Dent Blanche

Jealous at the entire concept of having a place near Zermatt, but being in shape and skill to get on top of the funny looking hills especially.

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Comrade Koba posted:

We’ll be sure to tell that to the people whose job it is to drag your blissfully smiling corpse off a mountain peak or underwater cave.

It is all of our responsibility to keep consuming as long as possible, and go out in a blaze of medical expenditures

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Epitope posted:

It is all of our responsibility to keep consuming as long as possible, and go out in a blaze of medical expenditures

If you want to die, there are lots of quicker and easier solutions that won’t necessarily inconvenience or traumatize the people with actual jobs that are forced to deal with the aftermath.

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I don't want to die, just observing the absurdity around the morality of dying.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
If they even find my body I'd consider that a failure, much less successfully recover the drat thing.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Tenkaris posted:

Apparently in the summer months base camp can go from 4 degrees Celsius at night to 22 in the day. So yes it does rain in the summer!

That's only base camp though.

It also gets up to like >30 degrees C in the cwm on a sunny day, not at all unusual to see them crossing in shorts and t-shirt sleeves

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

orange juche posted:

There's GOLD at the top of Everest!!! GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLD

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Everest is Darwin's perfect challenge, competent mountaineers generally survive it, while a lot of people who have no business near mountains but are climbing for bragging rights get turned into ice sculptures in the death zone.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

orange juche posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqy0tfMIX8w

Off season is significantly colder though, and you can indeed get in some poo poo, mostly frostbite.

That averages out to 3.3 inches per second during the ascent, that's like 12 hours straight on a stairmaster.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

My legs were actually fine when I climbed out of season, it was pretty not bad, my legs turned into loving rubber noodles on the descent though because I'd been climbing pretty steadily all night from about 8pm until 5am, and they just said gently caress it you're done man.

Also, yeah, don't try to run at altitude if you've been living the flatlander life at sea level, 12,000ft is a lot thinner than ~50ft.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Isn't there a legitimate mechanical reason why it seems harder to descend stairs/slopes (harder than ascending) after a heavy leg workout? Something to do with the difference between concentric and eccentric muscle contractions?

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Ohtori Akio posted:

loling a little at the idea that altitude is no big deal until youre at himalayan type of elevations

I've mentioned it in one of the Everest threads but I had a friend who was young and in good shape who was hiking somewhere in California not high at all, obviously well below 10,000 feet and had to be evacuated by helicopter due to altitude sickness. He said he felt worse than he imagined he could ever feel, like walking death.

thiccabod
Nov 26, 2007

Mountain death update but sadly not the funny kind:

Three Nepali sherpa climbers go missing on Everest

Reuters posted:

KATHMANDU, April 12 (Reuters) - Three Nepali sherpa guides are missing on Mount Everest after an avalanche swept down and buried them in a crevasse on Wednesday, a Tourism Department official said.

The avalanche hit the most popular Southeast Ridge route to the summit of the world’s tallest mountain.

Three guides who were ferrying climbing gear for their clients were caught at an unspecified site between the Base Camp and Camp I on its lower parts.

thiccabod fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Apr 13, 2023

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

Posting from Kathmandu, I fly to Lukla bright and early tomorrow morning. Updates to come when I'm in internet range.

Apparantly it's Nepalese new years eve, the streets are loving LIT

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Paladine_PSoT posted:

Posting from Kathmandu, I fly to Lukla bright and early tomorrow morning. Updates to come when I'm in internet range.

Apparantly it's Nepalese new years eve, the streets are loving LIT

Yankee Go Home

bertolt rekt
Jul 30, 2007

Mom: "We have Passage to Bangkok at home"

Passage to Bangkok at home:

Paladine_PSoT posted:

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

thiccabod posted:

That's horrible, and it really underscores how much risk the workers are taking every year to prepare the way for the tourist climbers. Dying in an avalanche is a constant and unavoidable possibility.

I wish Nepal didn't see the climbing permits and arrangement on Everest as such an important revenue stream because I'd love to see all that stuff just not done any more. If you want to go up Everest, fine, place your own ladders and ropes and haul all your oxygen tanks up yourself. I realize probably a fair number of Sherpa guides would want to keep working, I don't really know how to square that though. What do you do for people who are being exploited, but would rather have the jobs than not? Maybe ask them what they want? Maybe... put them in charge?

What if the Everest tour companies were actually owned and operated by Nepalese people? No foreign companies, only Sherpa-owned allowed. What if the locals received all of the money and benefit of the tourism, and were able to completely manage their own risks.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

honestly then it would be a handful of nepali from kathmandu getting rich while the people doing the actual work die for other people's financial gain. which, i mean, it IS in fact better to have the wealth stay in the country than for it to just be full-on extracted. in general though i don't think sweatshops are OK, even when they're in a slightly different form.

what i'm interested in is just how much money we're talking here. i have a suspicion (that may be 100% wrong) that nepal could make good money from allowing some subset of climbing tourism (idk, maybe to basecamp). ideally it'd be behavior based, such that the fines for leaving poo poo (literal or figurative) on the mountain is massive, and if you can't do a leave-no-trace to the summit, you effectively can't climb it unless you fund a real actual cleanup and then pay that much again on top as an inconvenience fee.

i don't have any bright ideas for what you could do to enforce that beyond "give us a ton of money, then you get some of it back when you don't gently caress up the mountain," how such a program would deal with perverse incentives, etc. but i don't have to. i'm just a guy on the internet, not a nepali policymaker

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Achmed Jones posted:

but i don't have to. i'm just a guy on the internet, not a nepali policymaker
/

basicblack
Oct 9, 2004

That basic little black dress.

thiccabod posted:

24 hr update? https://www.cnn.com/2023/04/13/asia/everest-sherpas-missing-in-nepal-intl/index.html

I am really sad to be posting this :(

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

Leperflesh posted:

That's horrible, and it really underscores how much risk the workers are taking every year to prepare the way for the tourist climbers. Dying in an avalanche is a constant and unavoidable possibility.

I wish Nepal didn't see the climbing permits and arrangement on Everest as such an important revenue stream because I'd love to see all that stuff just not done any more. If you want to go up Everest, fine, place your own ladders and ropes and haul all your oxygen tanks up yourself. I realize probably a fair number of Sherpa guides would want to keep working, I don't really know how to square that though. What do you do for people who are being exploited, but would rather have the jobs than not? Maybe ask them what they want? Maybe... put them in charge?

What if the Everest tour companies were actually owned and operated by Nepalese people? No foreign companies, only Sherpa-owned allowed. What if the locals received all of the money and benefit of the tourism, and were able to completely manage their own risks.

Achmed Jones posted:

honestly then it would be a handful of nepali from kathmandu getting rich while the people doing the actual work die for other people's financial gain. which, i mean, it IS in fact better to have the wealth stay in the country than for it to just be full-on extracted. in general though i don't think sweatshops are OK, even when they're in a slightly different form.

Yes, many of the guide services are Nepali-owned now, including the guide service that the three Sherpa who just died worked for. https://imagine-nepal.com/about/about-company

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

gohuskies posted:

Yes, many of the guide services are Nepali-owned now, including the guide service that the three Sherpa who just died worked for. https://imagine-nepal.com/about/about-company

On the other hand, just because something is locally owned doesn't mean the owner/company isn't abusive towards their staff. At least the owner is a climber and seems legit?

I've worked for a lot of locally owned companies that were abusive towards staff with owners who were all round shitbags but managed to put on a great public face.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Yeah the managing director (https://imagine-nepal.com/about/our-team) seems to be a very very experienced climber, and the rest of the management team are Sherpa, so that seems pretty good at least!

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.

https://www.rte.ie/news/2023/0418/1377618-noel-hanna-climber-dead/

Mynameismud
Jul 12, 2009
Yea lots of bad stuff happening on Annapurna
https://explorersweb.com/annapurna-chaos-noel-hannah-dies-climbers-airlifted/

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
That’s awful, what a total mess. How did Kaur end up alone? Did the sherpas make it back?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Anne Whateley posted:

That’s awful, what a total mess. How did Kaur end up alone? Did the sherpas make it back?

quote:

“Anyone trekking in the Annapurna or Manaslu regions in Nepal at the moment, please be aware there will be heavy snow and high winds from tomorrow for at least five days,”

No friends on a powder day

I hope the Sherpas are okay. They should be the first ones evacuated if anything goes wrong imo