Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

Casey Finnigan posted:

i can imagine it. really evil fat king who kills innocents and laughs. can definitely imagine it.

a goon would never be king

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Relevant Tangent posted:

death to all monarchs, i'd rather have an anarchy thanks
or we can just keep staggering along the way we have been, either option is better than a monarch

I don't really want to bother with this, but this is, of course, how the very earliest monarchies originated. Hill tribes smashing your head in with a club and stealing your millet is, in fact, worse than Ur being united under one king.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

euphronius posted:

Biden could say he doesn’t agree with marbury v Madison. I’d be fine with that. the court should not have been able to give itself the power to veto laws

This would immediately create a lot of lols because the courts have invented a lot of our "laws"

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

individual counties are closing down their libraries. There is a definite doomsday happening

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy
kings suck but it turns out the machine of mammon is capable of incorporating and destroying so much more of society than the strongest king could ever dream

unfortunately that machine already exists and changing from presidents to kings would do nothing to it, only the immortal science can provide us with a weapon capable of its destruction

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Nonsense posted:

individual counties are closing down their libraries. There is a definite doomsday happening

Wrong, buddy. Number is up BIGLY.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

you guys are limiting it to kings but I think the guy said monarch and I was reading that more broadly to any one person rule

Buffer
May 6, 2007
I sometimes turn down sex and blowjobs from my girlfriend because I'm too busy posting in D&D. PS: She used my credit card to pay for this.

euphronius posted:

judicial review (the power of scotus to veto laws ) isn’t even in the constitution explicitly

it's also a weird as poo poo thing for a country to have the way we do

like... the french constitutional court is getting its biggest day in... gently caress... this current republic? soon

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

it was kind of needed eventually Becuase of how horrible the senate is

lol what a horrible system even if you like liberal democracy

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

maybe we can abolish the senate then and right after scrotus

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009

atelier morgan posted:

kings suck but it turns out the machine of mammon is capable of incorporating and destroying so much more of society than the strongest king could ever dream

unfortunately that machine already exists and changing from presidents to kings would do nothing to it, only the immortal science can provide us with a weapon capable of its destruction

Well Capital also seems to be addicted to autoerotic asphyxiation/destroying everything that brought it to power so it's certainly doing its part to help be overthrown but yeah I agree

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

like if you are saying no monarchs, you don’t get Stalin. you don’t get Mao. and that would be a disaster for humanity !!!

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

euphronius posted:

like if you are saying no monarchs, you don’t get Stalin. you don’t get Mao. and that would be a disaster for humanity !!!

Stalin was necessary. Mao was an entirely unnecessary person, now the world has a billion problems. America is the solution.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Nonsense posted:

Stalin was necessary. Mao was an entirely unnecessary person, now the world has a billion problems.

wow u think chinese people are "problems"???

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

communism must be faced sooner or later

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

500 good dogs posted:

wow u think chinese people are "problems"???

that’s how I read it too

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

pure nonsense

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Nonsense posted:

communism must be faced sooner or later

funy joek

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

In the distant past, when humanity was still in its infancy, small communities dotted the landscape, each struggling to survive in a world that was as beautiful as it was perilous. Within these communities, there emerged certain individuals, known as "big men," who possessed the strength, charisma, and wisdom to unite their people and lead them towards a better future.

These big men, though not yet kings, were the precursors to the monarchs of later ages. They rose to prominence through their own merits and abilities, rather than through inheritance or divine right. They proved themselves through their skills in hunting, warfare, and diplomacy, earning the respect and loyalty of their followers.

It was in the hearts of these early leaders that the seeds of kingship were first sown. They recognized the need for order and structure, for a way to tame the wild impulses of their people and bring about lasting peace and prosperity. In the absence of a formal government or legal system, these big men acted as the de facto rulers of their communities, arbitrating disputes, organizing collective efforts, and ensuring the welfare of their people.

Over time, the power and influence of these big men grew, as did the size and complexity of their communities. As the challenges they faced became more significant and varied, it became clear that a more formal system of governance was required. Thus, the institution of kingship was born, taking its cues from the successful leadership of the big men who had come before.

The people chose kings for their abilities to protect and guide them, to maintain order and ensure their survival in a world that was fraught with danger. Kingship offered a sense of stability and continuity, a promise that the legacy of the community would endure for generations to come.

In its purest form, kingship embodied the qualities that people admired in their leaders: courage, wisdom, and a deep sense of responsibility for the well-being of their subjects. It was a system that aimed to bring out the best in both the ruler and the ruled, fostering a shared sense of pride, loyalty, and purpose.

Joe Biden is not, needless to say, the inheritor of that kingship.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

you're very seriously aggressively stupid, and simply cannot fathom that "the president is not a king and should not try to be one" does not mean "scotus is cool and good"

*getting yelled at by everyone in the thread that you're wrong*

"Well, nevertheless..."

edit: fixing the quote

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

euphronius posted:

I can’t imagine a monarch being worse than this. a real one not a fake constitutional monarch or whatever they are now

a monarch is explicitly saying that some are born to wear the boot that others are born to be crushed by and therefore they're trash op
anyone who supports a monarchy is a real piece of poo poo

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

OK, let's try this: in your opinion, what comes after joe biden ignores a scotus order?

can you walk us through a hypothetical scenario? suppose biden (or really, any president) says "my administration will not abide by the decisions of an un-democratic corrupt court, and therefore i have directed the department of education to carry on with implementing my order"

how many civil servants would be OK with it, instead of resigning enmasse?

how many red states (and maybe even purple states) would openly revolt?

what types of headlines would dominate the media?

which party would benefit the most from a major constitutional crisis single-handedly caused by a Dem president?

these may be too much to think about for your simpleton brain but please at least try

imagine saying this after the trump administration

hell, imagine just secretly believing any of it

the most high minded liberals remained at their post and nobody bothered disobeying an unlawful order from Trump until he'd already lost

if he'd ignored an order from the Supreme Court, who would have stopped him?

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Frosted Flake posted:

I don't really want to bother with this, but this is, of course, how the very earliest monarchies originated. Hill tribes smashing your head in with a club and stealing your millet is, in fact, worse than Ur being united under one king.

gently caress off you servile wretch
nobody made you lick the boot, you sought it out because his majesty's service would reward you with temporal power

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
that post is that tweet about burning it all down if they replace RBG

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Relevant Tangent posted:

a monarch is explicitly saying that some are born to wear the boot that others are born to be crushed by and therefore they're trash op
anyone who supports a monarchy is a real piece of poo poo

I mean doesn't this ultimately describe every form of government that isn't anarchism?

Communism still has The Party

If you're Jon Dirtfarmer you're probably not going to be the next Xi Jinping

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Frosted Flake posted:

so much patriarchal bullshit

this is a fundamentally patriarchal version of history and every monarch was an oppressor

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Relevant Tangent posted:

gently caress off you servile wretch
nobody made you lick the boot, you sought it out because his majesty's service would reward you with temporal power

when I saw this post I assumed you were joke posting but this is absolutely wild if you're being serious lmao

like what are you even defending with this position, the sacred "democratic" institution of the USA? The power has been firmly consolidated in the hands of the nobility here since a silversmith ran across the countryside telling everyone the British were coming

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

The SCOTUS doesn't even have a way to enforce their rulings. Other bodies have to do it for them. So if the SCOTUS decides something is unconstitutional absolutely nobody has to care.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

How many divisions does the SCOTUS have?

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Frosted Flake posted:

The people chose kings for their abilities to protect and guide them, to maintain order and ensure their survival in a world that was fraught with danger. Kingship offered a sense of stability and continuity, a promise that the legacy of the community would endure for generations to come.

In its purest form, kingship embodied the qualities that people admired in their leaders: courage, wisdom, and a deep sense of responsibility for the well-being of their subjects. It was a system that aimed to bring out the best in both the ruler and the ruled, fostering a shared sense of pride, loyalty, and purpose.

This sounds like exactly what we need in today's crazy world

Woke Mind Virus
Aug 22, 2005

in your opinion what would happen after a president refused to follow court orders

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!

Willa Rogers posted:

oh yah I meant to post this during fast-food chat last week:

if a trip to pakistan costs $1000, you only need to eat like 290 big macs while you're there and you're in the black. the more you eat after that, the better off you are. economy.

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

euphronius posted:

judicial review (the power of scotus to veto laws ) isn’t even in the constitution explicitly

I don't understand why they don't just pass a law invalidating Marbury v. Madison.

Oh, you wanna review that, judicially? Too bad that isn't a thing you can do anymore :smug:

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Random rear end in a top hat posted:

I don't understand why they don't just pass a law invalidating Marbury v. Madison.

Oh, you wanna review that, judicially? Too bad that isn't a thing you can do anymore :smug:

This would, once again, create the funniest crisis

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Random rear end in a top hat posted:

it's a lovely arbitrary ruling where the judicary decided for themselves that they were the ultimate arbitrators of governance in the United States and they should have had the whole lot of traitors rounded up and executed imo

this post is only like half tongue-in-cheek, the Supreme Court has been awful more than they haven't and a couple of good rulings here and there don't really change that

Mirthless has issued a correction as of 00:33 on Apr 14, 2023

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.
Sometimes democracy is an unelected body of untouchable lifetime serving aristocrats

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

anime was right posted:

This would, once again, create the funniest crisis

It's too bad that the current structure of the supreme court suits Trump so perfectly, because it's the exact sort of thing he'd actually do and think was a brilliant move.

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

Subvisual Haze posted:

Sometimes democracy is an unelected body of untouchable lifetime serving aristocrats

excuse me do you want a banana republic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Casey Finnigan posted:

i can imagine it. really evil fat king who kills innocents and laughs. can definitely imagine it. big bearded guy.

the uber goon (trad.): neckbeard, insatiable appetite, hypochondriac, hated the church, overconfident in his gaming, fickle with babes (he killed some folxx, and many people)