Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Captain Foo)
How do you feel about Archnemesis mods on rares?
Incredibly fun, I love them!
They're alright
Needs more work
Almost as much fun as shoving a red hot nail under my fingernail
Other (post below)
View Results

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I was looking at a guide to Ruthless classes and it says Bane is good because it gets better the more hexes you have, and hexes can be "obtained deterministically", which I think just means you can be sure you get them, but what do they mean exactly? Because the guide also lists the quest rewards and while lots of Hexes are available from one quest reward it's ONE quest - surely they don't want you to mule an act 3 quest several times?

Do you eventually get a gem vendor in ruthless? The normal early act vendors don't sell them. I'm still in act 3. Or, more accurately, I'm in acts 3, 3, 2, 1, and 1 simultaneously because I can't stop making alts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

euphronius posted:

Do you include the time you spend working at your job and interfacing with spouse and kids in the efficiency ratios ?

My guess is yes

spouse attention efficiency ratio is exactly 69%

You get uncut gems as a questrewards throughout the campaign, which you can turn in at Siosa for most active skil gems like curses. unfortunately auras are not in there.

All gems are up for sale on the trade site generally. Obtainable ones by Siosa will go for 1 chance orb. Unobtainable ones like auras will go for anywhere between 3 alc and 40 or some poo poo like that. Most support gems wil be 1-2 alc

Mikojan fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Apr 13, 2023

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

Jack B Nimble posted:

I was looking at a guide to Ruthless classes and it says Bane is good because it gets better the more hexes you have, and hexes can be "obtained deterministically", which I think just means you can be sure you get them, but what do they mean exactly? Because the guide also lists the quest rewards and while lots of Hexes are available from one quest reward it's ONE quest - surely they don't want you to mule an act 3 quest several times?

Do you eventually get a gem vendor in ruthless? The normal early act vendors don't sell them. I'm still in act 3. Or, more accurately, I'm in acts 3, 3, 2, 1, and 1 simultaneously because I can't stop making alts.

The Library and Avarius quests reward you an Uncarved Gemstone, which you can turn in to Siosa for level req. <=34 gems (i.e. none of the ones you would normally get in A4).

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

whypick1 posted:

The Library and Avarius quests reward you an Uncarved Gemstone, which you can turn in to Siosa for level req. <=34 gems (i.e. none of the ones you would normally get in A4).

Ok, gotcha, thanks.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Selfcast Hexblast Hiero kind of feels like a spell version of a Slam build. Wish it had more ways to juice it. Weirdly, spell echo feels terrible since most stuff gets one tapped and you're locked into a second cast animation. I went back to using added chaos - my fifth link might be intensify.

Cretin90
Apr 10, 2006
I unlocked the “disgustingly tanky” tier on my boneshatter jugg last night when I upgraded my gear to cap chaos resist and spell suppression and holy poo poo I am enjoying myself. I’ve had poor luck with drops this league (must have used it all up on the mirror drop last league) but it’s fun just cruising through. Also, I snagged the “Instinct” notable to cap my suppression and that 50 ES recovery seems really freaking good. I have a grand total of 67 ES but whether you have 67 ES or 5000 ES it seems like recovering 50 ES 7 times per second is really useful.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Stux posted:

why would i be worrying about that. is there a poe auditor thats going to shoot me in the face for not playing efficiently?

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I mean you joke, but last league I posted something to the effect of "I got bored after playing for a month" and like the first few replies were "A MONTH? WHY AREN'T YOU RICH!"

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
I agree with the poster that said skip a league or two and come back. I did 40/40 in Kalandra, then tried to play Sanctum but just wasn't having fun so I stepped away. Very excited to play this season and enjoying it thoroughly.

League status:
I've sold one ring from the story mode version of the eater of worlds sub boss (the poo poo river one) for 1.5 div and that's about the extent of my money this season. I haven't really found much else to sell besides a couple maven invitations for 30c. Lucky for me, poison SRS is super cheap to get "online". I'm having a hell of a time sustaining t16 maps which is a weird problem i've literally never had any season. I've also not had a floor divine drop. Also where are all the regal orbs? Searing Exarch altars help with currency, but it's hit or miss sometimes.

I've butchered my atlas pretty bad because I was planning on going all in on Breach and Abyss to sorta self farm my sword and abyss jewels but pre-poison srs just can't really do the new breach content well enough and the stone drops are just non existent. Abyss is still worth it I think because of the corrupted 6 mod jewels and the exp from abyss mobs. I'm slowly migrating to the left side and doing what I always do which is lockbox/essence. The only thing new I'm trying is ghosts and rogue exiles and maybe dabbling in altars if I can get enough points out of the right side of the tree. I'm hoping I can lean on bulk essence selling in TFT to make me a bit of extra money.

I've died about 150 times already this season, but most of that is because i didn't have a life on block shield mod, nor capped block (i was at 65/71). 60 or so of those deaths were before I even hit maps because I cannot stop myself from crucible juicing weapons. Once I got my block fixed, it's been smoother but I still die from random one shots which is understandable in a block build. I also am not sure about this arcanist brand that does the bone offering from balormage's build since it feels like i'm missing the buff sometimes at the beginning of pack fights which probably causes some deaths. Props to the goons in 5555 for stating the obvious fixes i needed in my gear. I'm following balormage's guide, but i failed to understand why some of his gear was the way it was.

I'm hoping I can save up for The Covenant robe since that will skyrocket my dps even in a 5 link. They have been steady around 4-5 div for an uncorrupted non 6 link. After that, I might change my atlas again to an uber bossing strategy since it's content I've not done solo yet.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored
I'm totally new to this game and just finished act 1. I decided to go with a blade vortex assassin build using the Path of Building app because it seems beginner-friendly and I like playing the thief archetype. My guy is level 17 and I've mostly just been scavenging stuff off the ground and replacing what I'm wearing if it's better. I haven't crafted anything at all. I seem to be doing alright building a stable of resist gear for bosses etc and my damage appears to mostly come from ethereal knives/pierce support for regular trash enemies and stacks of blade vortex/withering step against bosses which seems to just absolutely annihilate most things I run up against (the siren lady took a minute or two and it feels suspiciously like being a hammerdin in D2).

What else should I be doing? I haven't messed with those crucible totem things much at all because they spawn angry stuff and neither of my weapons are really worth upgrading at the moment (dual wield knife/rapier). Should I be crafting gear aside from trading for resist rings I need?

E: I also found my first "bright orange" item a bit ago and I'm not sure if I should sell it or keep it. Some screaming eagle axe? I don't think my character can really use it.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
I was just looking at manabond builds on poe ninja to figure out how I want to set up my CWDT and the only level 100 manabond hierophant on softcore has cast on death portal lol

I'm sure it's been very....useful???

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Frank Frank posted:

I'm totally new to this game and just finished act 1. I decided to go with a blade vortex assassin build using the Path of Building app because it seems beginner-friendly and I like playing the thief archetype. My guy is level 17 and I've mostly just been scavenging stuff off the ground and replacing what I'm wearing if it's better. I haven't crafted anything at all. I seem to be doing alright building a stable of resist gear for bosses etc and my damage appears to mostly come from ethereal knives/pierce support for regular trash enemies and stacks of blade vortex/withering step against bosses which seems to just absolutely annihilate most things I run up against (the siren lady took a minute or two and it feels suspiciously like being a hammerdin in D2).

What else should I be doing? I haven't messed with those crucible totem things much at all because they spawn angry stuff and neither of my weapons are really worth upgrading at the moment (dual wield knife/rapier). Should I be crafting gear aside from trading for resist rings I need?

E: I also found my first "bright orange" item a bit ago and I'm not sure if I should sell it or keep it. Some screaming eagle axe? I don't think my character can really use it.

I wouldn't worry too much about anything this early on. As you move up in levels keep looking for items with more links in colors you need. It won't seem like it beforehand but the difference between a 2, 3, and 4 link skill is massive. Generally Life > Resists > Damage on gear, most of your damage will come from links and gem levels while leveling.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Frank Frank posted:

<fresh meat>

Can you link the guide? We can tell you if it sucks, because there are plenty of guides out there that are bait.

If you just finished A1 you're not really in the position to start crafting. A3/A4 is probably where you'll start using the Crafting Bench (unlocked in A2) in earnest, as you might actually have the currency to use it.

Do you have any source of chaos damage or poison? If not, your Withering step isn't actually increasing damage that monsters take.

There can be benefits to using Crucible while leveling, especially because they just patched the game to mostly eliminate the mods that brick items and made the UI a bit easier to use (supposedly, haven't touched it yet), but skipping it isn't going to gimp your character.

Most uniques in the game are trash. That one at least has a movespeed modifier on it, so it's a bit of twink-leveling item.

If you haven't, get an item filter. The most popular one is Filterblade. Just the default settings would be a marked improvement over the game's default filter of "none" and will generally highlight stuff that's actually valuable either for you or for trade.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

whypick1 posted:

Can you link the guide? We can tell you if it sucks, because there are plenty of guides out there that are bait.

Sure. If it's bait, someone put a hell of a lot of time and effort into it:
https://www.poe-vault.com/guides/poison-blade-vortex-assassin-build-guide

quote:

If you just finished A1 you're not really in the position to start crafting. A3/A4 is probably where you'll start using the Crafting Bench (unlocked in A2) in earnest, as you might actually have the currency to use it.

Ok. I'll hold off then.

quote:

Do you have any source of chaos damage or poison? If not, your Withering step isn't actually increasing damage that monsters take.
Yes and yes (passive skill tree + viper strike). See build info. Previous attack pattern was sniper's mark --> dash --> viper strike --> dash --> pelt with blades and reapply poison as needed. I got a blade vortex gem for finishing the wrecked shipyard quest so now it goes withering step --> viper strike, bladevortexbladevortexbladevortexbladevortex using ethereal knives when I have to back of but apply energy shield pressure.

quote:

There can be benefits to using Crucible while leveling, especially because they just patched the game to mostly eliminate the mods that brick items and made the UI a bit easier to use (supposedly, haven't touched it yet), but skipping it isn't going to gimp your character.

I'm getting a little more confident now. In the beginning, I was insanely squishy and a champion version of one of those shrimp/horse things nearly one-shotted me. I may revisit now that I have higher evasion and more life. I just am not sure what the point is.

quote:

Most uniques in the game are trash. That one at least has a movespeed modifier on it, so it's a bit of twink-leveling item.

I'll toss it in my stash then. Thanks

quote:

If you haven't, get an item filter. The most popular one is Filterblade. Just the default settings would be a marked improvement over the game's default filter of "none" and will generally highlight stuff that's actually valuable either for you or for trade.

Will do.

Anyway thanks for the input. This is all somewhat new to me although a lot of it feels awfully familiar thanks to D2. Not so much D3.

Skyl3lazer posted:

I wouldn't worry too much about anything this early on. As you move up in levels keep looking for items with more links in colors you need. It won't seem like it beforehand but the difference between a 2, 3, and 4 link skill is massive. Generally Life > Resists > Damage on gear, most of your damage will come from links and gem levels while leveling.

This is also good to know. I was priortizing gear with more beneficial effects (life regen, +life especially) over green-green or green-blue linked gear because I was so fragile in the beginning - which is something of a problem now because I have skills I can't use. Is this more of a late-game thing?

Frank Frank fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Apr 13, 2023

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

euphronius posted:

Do you include the time you spend working at your job and interfacing with spouse and kids in the efficiency ratios ?

My guess is yes

how i farmed mageblood in a week by throwing out my wife and small children

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Frank Frank posted:

I'm getting a little more confident now. In the beginning, I was insanely squishy and a champion version of one of those shrimp/horse things nearly one-shotted me. I may revisit now that I have higher evasion and more life. I just am not sure what the point is.

A patch that came out last night made it a lot more useful in early game. Basically using the Crucible lets you reveal a randomly generated passive skill tree for any of your weapons or shields, and then killing the monsters that spawn from it give you special XP that lets you unlock more skills on those trees (plus a lot of normal XP). Charging it to full makes the fight SIGNIFICANTLY harder, no shame in just doing 50% or so. I wouldn't focus on it too much as you'll be switching out gear a lot, but it's worth doing every now and then because it's basically free extra mods for your gear.

(Also you won't be able to unlock crucible skills for unique/orange items until endgame)

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Damnit Steve, you know I'm a sucker for Back to the Future references.

DaveWoo posted:

It's actually possible to get full 100% uptime on flasks with pathfinder (barring shenanigans like "siphon flask charges" rares and "reduced charges gained" maps).

And yes, mods that increase charges gained do apply to that ascendancy node.

What's the trick in getting this to work? Do I need the master alchemist node for the 50% chance to not use flask charges?

Andohz
Aug 15, 2004

World's Strongest Smelly Hobo

Tenacious J posted:

Got to the endgame on a RF Jugg, but I just followed a guide. I honestly have no real feeling on what to do next. I am struggling with tier 5/6 maps, but it’s unclear how to upgrade my character. I tried to understand Pohx’s gear guide but it seems like my current gear is pretty close to what is recommended anyway, I think. I’m probably wrong though but it’s hard to tell why.

Also trading seems insane I have no idea

You're not alone, Pohx just put out a video on this precise thing, he starts to talk about gearing after hitting maps around 4 minutes into the video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3OQzbyyxpI&t=240s,

I just went piece by piece whenever I could afford an upgrade and I'm plodding into red maps somewhat comfortably.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

DarkAvenger211 posted:

What's the trick in getting this to work? Do I need the master alchemist node for the 50% chance to not use flask charges?

Not necessarily, charge recovery + duration + reduced charges used, but mostly the first two. The goal being by the time the flask's duration has ended, you've recovered more charges than you used so that the "use when full" enchant can constantly trigger with no intervention.

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Damnit Steve, you know I'm a sucker for Back to the Future references.

whypick1 posted:

Not necessarily, charge recovery + duration + reduced charges used, but mostly the first two. The goal being by the time the flask's duration has ended, you've recovered more charges than you used so that the "use when full" enchant can constantly trigger with no intervention.

Ah yeah ok. I'd have to use the "Use when flask effect ends" trigger if I had went for the master alchemist node, which doesn't quite feel as good.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
mathil summarizing some of the most op stuff already from crucible

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DB7wB-vbzyk

highlights: 2k dps bows, 1100 dps 2.6spd claws, emperor's vigilance with 850es (!!!) etc. and we still aren't even close to the theoretical maximum of crucibled weapons.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Andohz posted:

You're not alone, Pohx just put out a video on this precise thing, he starts to talk about gearing after hitting maps around 4 minutes into the video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3OQzbyyxpI&t=240s,

I just went piece by piece whenever I could afford an upgrade and I'm plodding into red maps somewhat comfortably.

Pohx's wiki is also a godsend: https://www.pohx.net/

Also not sure if he goes into that in the video, but Legacy of Fury prices plummet during the first week as Maven kills go up and boy howdy do they change everything about RF. The damage increase probably isn't as big as a proper scepter or 6-link, but going from "enemies kind of limply keel over" to "enemies create explosive chain reactions" is an immense % multiplier to clear and, more importantly, fun.

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP
Ice shot looks nice. I wonder if I can afford to switch from toxic rain. Is ice shot or LA cheaper?

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

Femur posted:

Ice shot looks nice. I wonder if I can afford to switch from toxic rain. Is ice shot or LA cheaper?

Those two skills are built very similarly, so I’d just go with whichever one I liked the look of more

FZeroRacer
Apr 8, 2009

Femur posted:

i did LA deadeye league starter and you don't really need much gear. LA vs Ice Shot is almost the same just with different flavors: LA will have vastly better clear, Ice Shot will have vastly better ST if you can turret mode with vaal.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored
Is it worthwhile to drop $20 on the starter pack in the store? I really like the game (for $20 at least) and wouldn’t mind assuming it’s worthwhile.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Frank Frank posted:

Is it worthwhile to drop $20 on the starter pack in the store? I really like the game (for $20 at least) and wouldn’t mind assuming it’s worthwhile.

Yeah it’s fine. Save the points to buy additional tabs during a stash tab sale.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Arivia posted:

Yeah it’s fine. Save the points to buy additional tabs during a stash tab sale.

Well it gave me one extra tab so I used the extra money to buy a corgi that looks like my dog who now follows me around. The in-game corgi is about as useful as it’s RL counterpart. I see all these folks running around with crazy dragons and bat wings and poo poo. Meanwhile I’m just a lovely thief with a corgi.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

i think it gave you a normal tab which cant be used for trading. you need a premium tab for that. you are also going to really want at least a currency and map tab if you keep playing. fragment tab will be close behind.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Awesome! posted:

i think it gave you a normal tab which cant be used for trading. you need a premium tab for that. you are also going to really want at least a currency and map tab if you keep playing. fragment tab will be close behind.

I will buy more tabs when they have a tabsale I guess. I mean right now, I’m just getting started anyway

12 rats tied together
Sep 7, 2006

buying an in game pet that looks like your irl pet ftw

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

12 rats tied together posted:

buying an in game pet that looks like your irl pet ftw

It’s real dumb but it’s making me laugh so idk

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Frank Frank posted:

Well it gave me one extra tab so I used the extra money to buy a corgi that looks like my dog who now follows me around. The in-game corgi is about as useful as it’s RL counterpart. I see all these folks running around with crazy dragons and bat wings and poo poo. Meanwhile I’m just a lovely thief with a corgi.

Ur living the dream

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Goons: optimal first time purchasing with first points is blah blah currency fragment map tab blah blah

A goon: ooh a corgy :3:

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Herstory Begins Now posted:

Goons: optimal first time purchasing with first points is blah blah currency fragment map tab blah blah

A goon: ooh a corgy :3:

Yeah p much

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Ain’t nothing wrong with a corgi if that’s what you want. I’d just hate if you couldn’t afford the other tabs that are huge QoL upgrades when they’re on sale/you need them.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Arivia posted:

Ain’t nothing wrong with a corgi if that’s what you want. I’d just hate if you couldn’t afford the other tabs that are huge QoL upgrades when they’re on sale/you need them.

If it’s another $20 or whatever I’m still way under what most games cost. All good

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

You might have noticed this when buying your First Blood pack, but all of the supporter packs give you the same amount of points as if you had just bought points standalone, so you get all of that MTX for free. If you only need 50 points then get the 50 points, but if you think you might be spending $30+ on the game definitely go for the packs.

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

whypick1 posted:

You might have noticed this when buying your First Blood pack, but all of the supporter packs give you the same amount of points as if you had just bought points standalone, so you get all of that MTX for free. If you only need 50 points then get the 50 points, but if you think you might be spending $30+ on the game definitely go for the packs.

Yep packs are great value. Used to be that the packs (or maybe only the cheaper ones?) were $5 less in points value but now they're all equal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

stash tab sale is up for nugoons

I'd recommend currency, maps, fragments, and at least one premium trade tab (regular size or quad)

for trading itself, grab awakened poe trade and poe lurker to make trading a few clicks (do not, I repeat, do not spam apoet on every rare, use it to check uniques that your loot filter gets excited about, otherwise dump everything in a trade tab set to like 5 chaos, 10 chaos, whatever - believe me you'll know if you put something too valuable in immediately)