Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

GateOfD posted:

Mashiba should special request Ippo to be his second. Would be interesting.

Didn't a random tip from Ippo a while ago actually turned out to be very useful to him in his previous fight.

I feel like that happened

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

It did, it was a pretty major part of the fight.

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

It was the same fight where Ippo was casually asked if he knew anything about the challenger and then he rattled on for numerous panels iirc

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

This is kind of where i hoped (and still hope) that the manga was going, that he's still passionate about boxing and would become a talented trainer instead of ever getting back into the professional ring.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

GateOfD posted:

always forget that Aoki is somehow near the top of his weightclass in japan. But then again, maybe that doesn't even mean much.

we actually didn't know where he was for a looong time until he mentioned it here, i think it'd have been completely reasonable to assume he was like 7th

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Like the humble frog Aoki jumps up the rankings cause he's slippery and googly eyed

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Remember when his whole championship arc was about which fighter had the uglier girlfriend supporting them

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

in the end they just both loved loving around in the mud

i hope that couple is still together :>

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

we haven't seen Aoki's girlfriend in a while have we?

Flubby
Feb 28, 2006
Fun Shoe

Garrand posted:

This is kind of where i hoped (and still hope) that the manga was going, that he's still passionate about boxing and would become a talented trainer instead of ever getting back into the professional ring.

If it does go this way I wish it would stop with the introspective moping and teases. Also wish everyone around him, boxers and reporters, would stop suggesting he get back in there. They'll have some responsibility for his brain damage if he does. He really, really shouldn't. Did he tell people he couldn't draw a straight line? That he didn't know where he was and was losing time in his last fight? He was a zombie and I don't know how they'll address that if he returns. Also not a fan of Kumi being vilified. I feel like it's being played as her being selfish and wanting him all to herself and pulling him back when it should be played as her worried about his mush brain.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 16 days!)

they needed to have Ippo actually do something at Wally's ringside instead of spazzing out.

but thinking about it, he isn't that close to wally, he just fought him once. Maybe with Mashiba or Sendo, he would be more vocal.
As much as I don't care about the 3 newbies who i don't even remember the name of, would like Ippo to be like their actual trainer and second in their first newbie pro matches

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back
When Ippo became a trainer I thought he was gonna get a bunch of bonding and character moments with Kamogawa, his own very experienced trainer and head of the gym, whom he treats like a mentor and respects like a father. Shame that didn't happen.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

GateOfD posted:

they needed to have Ippo actually do something at Wally's ringside instead of spazzing out.

but thinking about it, he isn't that close to wally, he just fought him once. Maybe with Mashiba or Sendo, he would be more vocal.
As much as I don't care about the 3 newbies who i don't even remember the name of, would like Ippo to be like their actual trainer and second in their first newbie pro matches

he's already even had two good moments as a "second" to those two. in the alf match he reorients the whole thing by telling them not to let sendo cool off and that buying time for him was counterproductive, in the mashiba pre-title fight he provided the winning strategy to mashiba.

the retirement arc has been pretty good about showing HOW ippo is growing mentally and technically. he's got a lot more nous for the sport now

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Rubellavator posted:

we haven't seen Aoki's girlfriend in a while have we?

You rang?

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
:lmao: whenever a smooch is detected, the Reaper shall appear

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
a link

https://mangadex.org/chapter/85215de3-0765-4420-8125-899107109525/1

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

micheal meyers lookin rear end

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Romantic progress? No, interruptions!

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

i think we are actually pretty close to something with ippo and kumi tho. it's kinda a centerpiece plot thread for the retirement arc which is towards the end now. this chapter was blunt about it in a way that mori only has been a few times before

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
Ippos gonna get the Baki sex powerup

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

The first half with the boxer is so silly lol. He really is a jojo character.

*gasp* actual romantic tension in 2nd half

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

lmao

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

CharlestonJew posted:

Of course! I need to attack............ like THIS

:shlick:

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Holy poo poo, Morikawa going all in on the Naruto rinnegan eyes. You lose 100% of the shots you don’t take!

Also leave it to Ippo to blow the best moments of his life away looking out the window. But still there is progress this chapter, in that I don’t think its been so explicitly said before that Kumi is running out of patience.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

Ippo don't take your eyes off the prize!

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

ippo and kumi will kiss within the next 5 chapters broccoman av toxx

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

is Mashiba coming to Ippo for help with his match? :O

Flubby
Feb 28, 2006
Fun Shoe
I was going to ask if they've even kissed before, then I remembered Kumi kissed his bald head. I think that's as close as they've come to even admitting they are a thing. Japan's birth rates continue to decline.
e: I think Garfield is actually further along at this point. Jon had a date with the vet.

Flubby fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Apr 19, 2023

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

It seems the secret to your success is a combination of boundless energy and enthusiastic insolence...
Jon will be Ippo's next opponent.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

Ippo will kiss Kumi and, goal achieved, retire from relationships to pursue a career in boxing.

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡

CharlestonJew posted:

GateOfD posted:

is Mashiba coming to Ippo for help with his match? :O

Mashiba has a change of heart and sneaks into the bedroom to give Ippo a sex pep talk right then and there. Ippo and Kumi are so weirded out and disgusted that they agree to never see each other again.

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

oh god I just had the vision of ippo confessing to both kumi and boxing at the same time

I feel like to get over this arc that sort of needs to happen and kumi needs to either accept or reject it and as mashiba has finally accepted ippo now's the time gdi

but it can also land with a heavy comedic lead weight

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I would like to see Mashiba actually approve of Ippo/Kumi; you can only have that gag so many times before it starts to get silly. Kumi is, what, in her like mid-late 20s by now?

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
Mashiba goes "Ippo, I approve of you and my Sister... if you never, ever box again"

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Flubby posted:

I was going to ask if they've even kissed before, then I remembered Kumi kissed his bald head. I think that's as close as they've come to even admitting they are a thing. Japan's birth rates continue to decline.
e: I think Garfield is actually further along at this point. Jon had a date with the vet.

There was another time like a decade ago when they were alone in her apartment and they were both going in for the smooch when Mashiba teleported directly between them :lol:

e:
Chapter 1011 it seems

Takes No Damage fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Apr 20, 2023

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Ytlaya posted:

I would like to see Mashiba actually approve of Ippo/Kumi; you can only have that gag so many times before it starts to get silly. Kumi is, what, in her like mid-late 20s by now?

Mashiba gag is gonna be like the penis gag, never gonna go away. :v:

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Ytlaya posted:

I think there is an approval at this point, even if it is still begrudgingly for the sake of comedy. At this point I feel it's less Mashiba and more that Ippo and Kumi aren't right for each other, but Kumi has fallen into a sunk-cost fallacy so is doing her damnest to make it happen regardless.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

TaurusOxford posted:

I think there is an approval at this point, even if it is still begrudgingly for the sake of comedy. At this point I feel it's less Mashiba and more that Ippo and Kumi aren't right for each other, but Kumi has fallen into a sunk-cost fallacy so is doing her damnest to make it happen regardless.

Nah they're right for each other the author simply refuses to allow Ippo to advance at anything other than a snails pace as a person. At this point it might be fossilization time scales for his maturation as a human adult. All his growth is professional, he is personally not that much more mature than he was from very early in the story. It's not like he has good role models for interacting with women either I suppose.

Mashiba I agree does approve at this point, but he has appearances to keep up!

I prefer the penis and poop jokes to this joke though so I would be happy for that to finally get some forward traction. Maybe he just confronts Mashiba about his feelings for Kumi in the next chapter and that can spur his personal growth that can drive his professional growth further too. I really hope we're actually right at the precepice for him and Kumi because it'll be a good signal that we're into the next phase/arc of the story to me.

Larry Cum Free
Jun 3, 2022

move it or lose it dillweed

CharlestonJew posted:

If Ippo gets laid then Ricardo should just meekly hand him the belt along with a heartfelt apology letter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Ricardo loses his cool upon realizing that Ippo has defeated him in the game of Love.