Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Saukkis posted:

His wingman may have heard the ground radar correctly and yelled him to not shoot again.

Yup.
Or he went "Fire 1" and ground control went "AYO WHAT THE gently caress"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

psydude posted:

You know, I'd ask the rhetorical "how did an Air National Guard member have access to this," but I remember working an IT project at the DIA as a contractor (not even a full time contractor - I was only there occasionally for the project) and getting a face full of intelligence I really didn't want to know about every time I logged in to JWICS.

The media has been asking this all afternoon. But my answer is: just who the gently caress do they think is collecting, analyzing and briefing intel in the military? The question that should be asked is why we still allow uncontrolled printing of poo poo off JWICS or other TS/SCI environments.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Eason the Fifth posted:

Lol. Just got the DoD-wide bcc "Don't post access or download classified material on Discord! gently caress!" email from the deputy sec def. A lot of folks are running around with their asses on fire over this.

and yet you participate in leaks. Curious

Tunicate posted:

Massachusetts Air National Guard Airman, codename MANGA

caught with pants down JO to anime titties while getting fed swatted

Artificer posted:

Racist, anti-semitic idiot dogfucker. I hope he gets caught and put away for this.

i love how chuds and "centrists" are already trying to make him the next snowssange even though he came pre-milkshaked

Alan Smithee fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Apr 14, 2023

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

akadajet posted:

He was showing off to tweens who were arguing about minecraft maps. So I'm guessing no.
I aimed too high. I should have guessed MTG would do it.

In my anger, I made a few posts in this thread, which weren't even about the crisis in Ukraine. Let me fix that.

Since the beginning, I wondered about Russia's ability to sustain their invasion. I know that they've been hitting up the destitute, the desperate, and ethnic minorities, but I have trouble seeing how they've been locked down so thoroughly, when Russian history in the early 20th century clearly shows the limits to their ability to put up with that poo poo.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

HonorableTB posted:

We got a lot closer to Clancychat than was admitted or reported at the time. Remember that British surveillance plane that had a missile fired near it?

Yeah it wasn't an accident. It was intentional. The pilot misinterpreted what ground radar operators told him and he thought he had permission to fire. The missile was locked on and targeted correctly and the only thing that averted likely nuclear escalation is that the missile malfunctioned and failed to fire properly.

That's what the *Russian Government* wants you to believe! All the blame lies solely on that radio operator and that pilot! The russian state had nothing to do with it! Its at least three layers of conspiracy. :byodood:

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Flying_Crab posted:

do they think

Lemme just stop you there, the answer is "no".

niteflite1287
Jun 20, 2018

Flying_Crab posted:

The media has been asking this all afternoon. But my answer is: just who the gently caress do they think is collecting, analyzing and briefing intel in the military? The question that should be asked is why we still allow uncontrolled printing of poo poo off JWICS or other TS/SCI environments.

I would also caveat that with: why would a we allow a 21 yr would junior enlisted member this kind of access, partially to printed materials at that class level, practically without additional security controls in place. Its having a 2nd person accountability in the space if you have access to stuff like this outrageous, so someone might of noticed his actions. Age isn't everything and older and more senior people do plenty of stupid things, but FFS bad e-3 decision making has spawned a entire class of business that sells used mustangs outside the base gates so they can show off that there probably should be at least some risk controls implemented in most cases, unless there is a clear operational priority that makes such a risk acceptable.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Bell_ posted:

On one hand, this is definitely true. C.P. Ellis was a Klansman fighting desegregation in the early 70s, but Civil Rights activist Ann Atwater helped pull his head out of his rear end.

On the other, this was over 50 years ago, and that man had an 8th grade education that I'm sure was published entirely by UDC.

But Massachusetts? In 2023? What the gently caress?

Mass is hella racist

Northern Racist™

Crab Dad posted:

He needs his sentence to be getting a wedgie and his balls stomped every Friday night by a Jewish dommy-mommy and he’ll learn to love her.
What a putz.

:mods: for goodtimelusting

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Bell_ posted:

Since the beginning, I wondered about Russia's ability to sustain their invasion. I know that they've been hitting up the destitute, the desperate, and ethnic minorities, but I have trouble seeing how they've been locked down so thoroughly, when Russian history in the early 20th century clearly shows the limits to their ability to put up with that poo poo.

My understanding about civilian firearms ownership in Russia is that when you get your license you’re not allowed to own anything rifled for five years, and you can’t take on a (fairly) modern-equipped kleptocratic government with buckshot and smoothbore muskets.

We joke about the guys on the far back lines doing rear guard getting handed rusty 19th-century Mosins, but those would be more competent revolutionary weapons than what a newly minted firearms licensee in Russia can get a hold of.

It wasn’t like that in 1917.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Flying_Crab posted:

sharing workload between active duty and national guard units i can understand, but the kid was an IT gremlin, not an analyst. you should be able to design secure systems such that the people tasked with maintaining the internet pipes don't get carte blanche to read what's inside them most of the time, and if they do need to look at actual contents to diagnose something, it requires signoff from management and an audit trail. that is at least how (competent) industry works. network engineering staff at Facebook using their low-level access to check out profiles they don't have access to is big no-no

that said, in retrospect im not entirely surprised, but still disappointed, that the access controls within military systems are more like the incompetent version of industry where you do just say "eh, actually securing the system against internal threats would be expensive, so gently caress it"

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

niteflite1287 posted:

I would also caveat that with: why would a we allow a 21 yr would junior enlisted member this kind of access, partially to printed materials at that class level, practically without additional security controls in place. Its having a 2nd person accountability in the space if you have access to stuff like this outrageous, so someone might of noticed his actions. Age isn't everything and older and more senior people do plenty of stupid things, but FFS bad e-3 decision making has spawned a entire class of business that sells used mustangs outside the base gates so they can show off that there probably should be at least some risk controls implemented in most cases, unless there is a clear operational priority that makes such a risk acceptable.

Who do you think does things in the military?

A super secret stealth drone might be piloted by a 22 year old second Lieutenant who only had one job before graduating college, that of an ice cream saleslady for two weeks on a summer.
Intelligence officers on assignment in Syria might be responsible for countless people and intel at the same age.
22-23ish is the age where traditionally junior officers are doing stuff in the military, from flying fighter jets to being air battle managers to some of the stuff above.

U-2s scooted over the skies of Cold War piloted by 25-28 year old college graduates. Fighter jockeys were 21 or so. Entire flights might have been nothing but second lieutenants in a pinch.

For enlisted, you cut the requirement of college out and now the same entry age is around 18-19. They're perfectly capable of handling, using, and dealing with classified material.

His age isn't a problem and it is a red herring.

EDIT: Tony Bevacqua was a 24 year old U-2 pilot over shady places. As a strapping 24 year old 1st Lt he got orders to Groom Lake.

Vahakyla fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Apr 14, 2023

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

The X-man cometh posted:

No wonder he needed to post classified documents to look cool

he's printer goon but for classified doxx no one asked for

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
We have whole books of procedures on how to set up facilities and manning security rotations to prevent exactly that. We have more books on how to audit the stuff setup under the rules of the first book.

Someone has to actually implement those procedures and someone else has to audit them.

If those people are the same 23 year old reserve O-2 who doesn't give a gently caress then you may not get am actually secure SCIF when the paperwork gets routed.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Vahakyla posted:

ACAB and all but dude seemed to be a genuine hero at that moment, doing what he's supposed to do. He was punished by having his reputation ruined and while he did eventually get hired by some podunk county Sheriff as deputy, I always read that they kept him out of any promotions or better jobs than patrol because of his name recognition and how people thought about him. He died of diabetes without even retiring, at age 44, after he came home from work, and his wife found him dead from organ failure.

His employer during the time,, Piedmont College and its president Raymond Cleere, described him to FBI as ""badge-wearing zealot who would write epic police reports for minor infractions."" because they wanted to come out on top of the investigation looking like a good guy, and that they had totally already wanted to get rid of him before the event. Both were bald faced lies, he had no complaints or issues apparently, and Cleere basically made that poo poo up on the fly.

New York Times ran with it.

What a loving Homer Simpson-esque life.

I was at the Olympic bombing when I was six and I have a scar on my arm from it. I hate what happened to Jewell. That was loving wrong.

I had been playing in the fountains at Olympic Centennial Park and watching the fireworks that night and all I remember was a loud bang and people screaming, and my arm hurt. I ended up getting stitches and all, healed up just fine with no lasting injury. But I never loving forgot that a far right Christian extremist tried to kill me, and I never will.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Dandywalken posted:

Are DEW systems feasible vs hypersonics? Or does it just require power levels that we arent seeing in use yet. Would the assumed levels of thermal shielding on those sort of systems offer protection?

I'd guess that you could probably zap a hypersonic if your DEW platform is loitering at 40k, but at sea level i'd suspect your LoS horizon and time to intercept is too short to save you. In both cases its probably easier to spot and deploy something similar to a RIM-161 against an incoming hypersonic.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Dandywalken posted:

Are DEW systems feasible vs hypersonics? Or does it just require power levels that we arent seeing in use yet. Would the assumed levels of thermal shielding on those sort of systems offer protection?

If the low flying hypersonic vehicle were sitting still or not flying hypersonically, its thermal protection would last longer, but remember, while they're designed to handle thermal loads greater than 1000 degrees C, that's for a specific amount of time. Increasing the heat of the projectile by several more thousands of degrees is going to cause a rapid unscheduled disassembly in very, very short order.

M_Gargantua posted:

I'd guess that you could probably zap a hypersonic if your DEW platform is loitering at 40k, but at sea level i'd suspect your LoS horizon and time to intercept is too short to save you. In both cases its probably easier to spot and deploy something similar to a RIM-161 against an incoming hypersonic.

For something at exactly sea level, from a weapons platform sitting at 40 feet above sea-level (like high on a destroyer or below the level of the flight deck of an aircraft carrier) you'd have roughly 5 seconds to detect, identify, engage, and destroy a mach 6 vehicle. Depending on the altitude of the projectile, that would mean no meaningful extra amount of time to several more seconds of engagement opportunity.

Of course, the US Navy doesn't operate its capital ships without an umbrella or a picket, so at a minimum the detection and identification window will likely be significantly greater. The question then becomes is 5ish seconds long enough to destroy a missile once it's within range, assuming your weapon can reach that far?

A.o.D. fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Apr 14, 2023

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

T-90A chilling at truck stop in Louisiana.

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/russian-t-90-tank-from-ukraine-mysteriously-appears-at-u-s-truck-stop

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

lmao

quote:

"I'm some guy in the south who happens to like tanks from playing [the computer game] War Thunder and stumbled upon this beauty," he said.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

lightpole posted:

Mass is racist and chuddy as gently caress.

What state amongst us

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Of course there are pictures from on top of it lol.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

It only seems fair since so many of our M1A3 B2 stealth patriot systems have been destroyed or carried by glorious Russian Army.

What, comrade? Can you see one?

Nyet

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Alan Smithee posted:

caught with pants down JO to anime titties while getting fed swatted

Look if I hear "FBI OPEN UP!" and a bang, you better believe the first thing I'm going to do is get as naked and oily as I can before they get to me.

I'm still going to get arrested and perp walked but by god I intend to make it as loving miserable for the cops as possible.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

BrotherJayne posted:

Yup.
Or he went "Fire 1" and ground control went "AYO WHAT THE gently caress"

Solitary. NOW!

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

How much Intel was actually leaked in terms of like... Numbers of pages or some other metric? I've been operating under the false assumption that it was just a couple of photos of printed out documents.

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015
Guess people didn't see the twitter link last page, but yeah. I guess now we'll get some new opinions and studies on how the T-90 compares to the Abrams.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Fivemarks posted:

Guess people didn't see the twitter link last page, but yeah. I guess now we'll get some new opinions and studies on how the T-90 compares to the Abrams.

Is it badly? I bet it's badly

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

cr0y posted:

How much Intel was actually leaked in terms of like... Numbers of pages or some other metric? I've been operating under the false assumption that it was just a couple of photos of printed out documents.

hundreds of pages. dude was writing up and annotating summaries of classified docs for months before he switched to just photographing printed ones

wapo and nyt both did big pieces on it today and yesterday that are a good summary of what is known so far

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Apr 14, 2023

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

"My opinion is this tank is probably owned by a private citizen or company," he said. "I spoke to the staff at Peto’s. They said a couple gentlemen dropped it there Tuesday and said they had to go to Houston to get another truck to haul it. They have not returned yet. It doesn’t seem likely the military would leave something like that unattended. I’ll let you know if I hear anything else."

If those guys don't get back soon a gator's gonna get in it

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
what did someone leave a ka-52 there also?

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Vahakyla posted:

Who do you think does things in the military?

A super secret stealth drone might be piloted by a 22 year old second Lieutenant who only had one job before graduating college, that of an ice cream saleslady for two weeks on a summer.
Intelligence officers on assignment in Syria might be responsible for countless people and intel at the same age.
22-23ish is the age where traditionally junior officers are doing stuff in the military, from flying fighter jets to being air battle managers to some of the stuff above.

U-2s scooted over the skies of Cold War piloted by 25-28 year old college graduates. Fighter jockeys were 21 or so. Entire flights might have been nothing but second lieutenants in a pinch.

For enlisted, you cut the requirement of college out and now the same entry age is around 18-19. They're perfectly capable of handling, using, and dealing with classified material.

His age isn't a problem and it is a red herring.

EDIT: Tony Bevacqua was a 24 year old U-2 pilot over shady places. As a strapping 24 year old 1st Lt he got orders to Groom Lake.

Sure, but why does A1C Router Configurer need unrestricted access to intelligence that the Mossad helped stage protests in Israel against judicial reform?

Dein Specht
Apr 5, 2023

https://twitter.com/Havoc_Six/status/1646722645470203904

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

psydude posted:

Sure, but why does A1C Router Configurer need unrestricted access to intelligence that the Mossad helped stage protests in Israel against judicial reform?

I believe it was mentioned that he was the systems admin for the intel site, so presumably he got the access as part of his job. They probably don't like jailing their IT admins for accidentally stumbling across sensitive material that's all over those systems and offices.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Bell_ posted:

I aimed too high. I should have guessed MTG would do it.

In my anger, I made a few posts in this thread, which weren't even about the crisis in Ukraine. Let me fix that.

I don't think Russian society is as locked down as it might appear, and certainly not to the extent Putin would hope it to be. Important security and defence installations have been catching fire all over Russia since this horror show began and it's not all down to faulty wiring or Ukrainian special operations-- nor are the assassinations all the work of Putin's killers either. I think there are definitely some elements within Russia that are actively resisting and have been for some time. As Putin mobilizes more of Russian society (especially if those waves of conscription affect the very populous and relatively affluent oblasts surrounding Moscow and St. Petersburg) and especially as the Russian government struggles to keep civilian support programs and infrastructure functional, I think that opposition is going to grow.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Vahakyla posted:

Cleere basically made that poo poo up on the fly.

New York Times ran with it.

What a loving Homer Simpson-esque life.

…for bonus points and a weird callback, who was his lawyer in the suit against the Atlanta Journal Constitution et al?

niteflite1287
Jun 20, 2018

Vahakyla posted:

I don't disagree, but I also know that at that age and experience level I got way more supervision and oversight than someone on their 2nd or 3rd tour standing the same watch tto make sure I was doing things iaw procedures, making the right decision, etc and nothing we were working on was even close to the level of sensitivity. If I had started to spend a significant portion of time looking at material unconnected to my duties I'd bet a chief or even a midgrade petty officer would have noticed and at least reported it to the CSO. Nothing I've read indicated he went to elaborate means to cover his trail when obtaining the info.

M_Gargantua posted:

We have whole books of procedures on how to set up facilities and manning security rotations to prevent exactly that. We have more books on how to audit the stuff setup under the rules of the first book.

Someone has to actually implement those procedures and someone else has to audit them.

If those people are the same 23 year old reserve O-2 who doesn't give a gently caress then you may not get am actually secure SCIF when the paperwork gets routed.

Unfortunately, this likely come out as the reason how he was able to summarize or photograph hundreds of documents over several months, if I understand correctly, without anyone noticing at the unit and I doubt he was doing from memory after he got home either, which is the worst part. The investigation will probably show there was quite a few way to break the chain that led to this being able to occur to create an incident of this size. We all know how this will end release a hands email (already done), fire the CO and some cmd members, add a new mandated training requirement, and nail the guy at CM and then promptly forget about doing anything to actually mitigate the risk of future incidents.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Kchama posted:

I believe it was mentioned that he was the systems admin for the intel site, so presumably he got the access as part of his job. They probably don't like jailing their IT admins for accidentally stumbling across sensitive material that's all over those systems and offices.

The technological controls exist, and have existed for quite some time, to allow IT staff to work on systems without having unfettered access to the data contained within. The government is slow to roll this kind of stuff out, but after 15 years of damaging leaks you'd think they would have gotten around to it by now.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

https://wapo.st/43zV8qg

quote:

The slide includes two overhead images, one taken in November 2021, months before the invasion began, and another captured a year later. The former shows a bustling motor pool teeming with vehicles; the latter reveals what U.S. officials concluded is a state of extreme depletion months after the brigade’s return home with fewer than half of the Tigr tactical vehicles it had before the deployment. The 22nd and two other spetsnaz brigades suffered an estimated 90 to 95 percent attrition rate, the assessments say.

The documents do not say how many spetsnaz troops are estimated to have been killed or wounded in Ukraine, but the materials, citing intelligence intercepts, assess that one unit alone — the 346th — “lost nearly the entire brigade with only 125 personnel active out of 900 deployed.”

Gonna take a long time to train that many people in backflip axe throwing.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Fearless posted:

I don't think Russian society is as locked down as it might appear, and certainly not to the extent Putin would hope it to be. Important security and defence installations have been catching fire all over Russia since this horror show began and it's not all down to faulty wiring or Ukrainian special operations-- nor are the assassinations all the work of Putin's killers either. I think there are definitely some elements within Russia that are actively resisting and have been for some time. As Putin mobilizes more of Russian society (especially if those waves of conscription affect the very populous and relatively affluent oblasts surrounding Moscow and St. Petersburg) and especially as the Russian government struggles to keep civilian support programs and infrastructure functional, I think that opposition is going to grow.

in "things on my reading list that i very much need to get around to", https://press.princeton.edu/books/paperback/9780691192185/the-autocratic-middle-class

russia is no longer a superpower or even a great power (whatever that means) but that doesn't mean it's loving nowhere. the people with wealth in russia aren't nothing, however, and most of them have a vested interest in the continuation of the current russian state. they have an outsize control over civil society, and are not particularly aligned with elite liberal opposition. Putin has made a point of suppressing both elite and powerful opposition, and generally done so successfully

that said, elite opposition had been gaining ground prior to the current war, and the regime has historically used war to garner support. continued lack of success doesn't bode well for that tactic, but the jump from that to collapse isn't so clear. absent some surprise upset (germany ships you a lenin in a train or whatever), the current regime may quite well shamble on

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

psydude posted:

https://wapo.st/43zV8qg

Gonna take a long time to train that many people in backflip axe throwing.

At this stage they need to train the Trainers first... i wonder if the Byelorussians can do that for them. :ughh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Qtotonibudinibudet posted:

in "things on my reading list that i very much need to get around to", https://press.princeton.edu/books/paperback/9780691192185/the-autocratic-middle-class

russia is no longer a superpower or even a great power (whatever that means) but that doesn't mean it's loving nowhere. the people with wealth in russia aren't nothing, however, and most of them have a vested interest in the continuation of the current russian state. they have an outsize control over civil society, and are not particularly aligned with elite liberal opposition. Putin has made a point of suppressing both elite and powerful opposition, and generally done so successfully

that said, elite opposition had been gaining ground prior to the current war, and the regime has historically used war to garner support. continued lack of success doesn't bode well for that tactic, but the jump from that to collapse isn't so clear. absent some surprise upset (germany ships you a lenin in a train or whatever), the current regime may quite well shamble on

For a change of pace, the CIA decides to secretly back a communist revolution