Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JamMaster Flash
Dec 3, 2003

Decided to start a block with front squats. Read on a few places online that front squat load should be 80-90% of what you can back squat. My shoulder mobility sucks, was trying to do the clean type grip because it seems more pro, but I might have to try something else.

I was real happy about getting to 475x3x3 on back squat a couple days ago...just feel like front squatting 315x5x3 was kicking my rear end, kind of a bummer but I'm going to keep doing it until I stop sucking.

JamMaster Flash fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Apr 14, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

JamMaster Flash posted:

Decided to start a block with front squats. Read on a few places online that front squat load should be 80-90% of what you can back squat. My shoulder mobility sucks, was trying to do the clean type grip because it seems more pro, but I might have to try something else.

I was real happy about getting to 475x3x3 on back squat a couple days ago...just feel like front squatting 315x5x3 was kicking my rear end, kind of a bummer but I'm going to keep doing it until I stop sucking.

If you haven't front squatted much before, or in a while, your FS won't be anywhere near 80-90% of your BS. Same muscle groups but different enough you'll need to train for it to get those numbers.

For grip, there's a true clean grip with the bar in the palm/base of finger, a finger tip grip, and basically everything between. You can also do a criss cross applesauce grip but I find that one weird personally. Harder to bail with the cross grip I think.

Front squats are good everyone should do it. Really pushes your hip and lat mobility.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

I used straps for front squats until I had the mobility for a clean grip.

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!
I just swapped front squats out because I kept getting worse even with a lighter load.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Are you chunky? Some heavier guys will have a harder time with lighter front squats because there's not enough weight to shift the center of mass enough to stay upright.

You can of course over come this by getting strong enough quads to just muscle gently caress the lighter weight.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

I loving suck at front squats. I hate anything touching my throat and having the bar right up there bothers the gently caress out of me.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Batterypowered7 posted:

I loving suck at front squats. I hate anything touching my throat and having the bar right up there bothers the gently caress out of me.

Just need some throat training. Start wearing a choker, not too tight. When you can stand wearing one all day, try choking yourself. After a few sessions you should try being choked by a strong muscular man, ideally to completion (of the set, 5 reps each). If you wanna be a bro, try choking him too, depends on what he’s training for

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:
I was helping judge a strongman comp and I watched a guy try to shoulder a sandbag and instead he choked himself out and collapsed. Before anyone could get to him he stood back up and tried again before his brain finally realized he was unconscious and he fell again. So yeah throat training is important

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!

Guyver posted:

Are you chunky? Some heavier guys will have a harder time with lighter front squats because there's not enough weight to shift the center of mass enough to stay upright.

You can of course over come this by getting strong enough quads to just muscle gently caress the lighter weight.

I’m just switching to leg press for the time being. My back squat is more posterior chain anyway so I could use more quad focus.

Batterypowered7 posted:

Also this, front squats make me feel awful, only thing that gives me exertion headaches.

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

I can do like 50% of my back squat on front squat so I've decided front squats are the problem and nobody should do them.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

I've started doing sandbag bear hug squats. I think that's enough front loaded squat variety for me and I never have to do an actual front squat with a real barbell on my throat ever again.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ

VorpalFish posted:

I can do like 50% of my back squat on front squat so I've decided front squats are the problem and nobody should do them.

I can do front squats just fine, I just hate them so I don't have any reason to do them. I don't even think they're a particularly great exercise for myself and a lot of other people. Everyone talks about how they're good for your upper back but what's the point of adding a submaximal upper back isometric to your leg workout? To distract you and make you fail earlier relative to your legs' limit? The reason it's so challenging to your upper back in the first place probably because your legs are weak so your butt shoots up out of the bottom. And by "you" I don't mean OP, I mean a guy I made up

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Holy poo poo, I did not realize just how bad my OHP had gotten. Couldn't even get four reps in a set of what I thought was 80% of my 1RM.

JamMaster Flash
Dec 3, 2003

Guyver posted:

I'm lean and mean, brother.

I did my 3rd day this week of using front squat for work sets, I can already notice some improvement. Feels good man.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CrQ14zZI1pL/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

Heh. This one's innocent, I promise.

E:

Why the gently caress does a set of deadlifts at X pounds come off the ground smooth like butter, but you go X+5 pounds and all of a sudden ot feels like you're trying to lift Mjolnir?

Batterypowered7 fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Apr 30, 2023

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Fuuuck I went back to the gym this week after a long break and everything still hurts two days later. I mean I'm happy but I still can't stretch out my arms fully lol.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Nearly knocked my rear end out doing overhead push press. I hit my chin on the way up during a rep, lol

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Whenever I have a good lift I message my sister. "Today I squatted 235 for a set of 7!" and she goes "is that pounds or kilos?" and I'm immediately brought back down to earth.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Just reply "Yes."

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

Hellblazer187 posted:

Whenever I have a good lift I message my sister. "Today I squatted 235 for a set of 7!" and she goes "is that pounds or kilos?" and I'm immediately brought back down to earth.

A mixture of both for maximum muscular confusion.

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*
Yesterday my working sets were 462lbs for that reason. Calculated after I lifted of course.

bomb
Nov 3, 2005

I do so many turkish getups a week.

Booties
Apr 4, 2006

forever and ever
Front squats are fine. I don’t get what all the hullabaloo is about.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

front squats smh

pretend I posted that cartoon of the guy pooping from the ceiling.png

this is what they want you to believe

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
check out my arms :colbert:

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Mozi posted:

check out my arms :colbert:
Are they as big as this lady's?

https://imgur.com/gallery/nyqCA08

Seriously how do I get arms like that :cry:

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

mobby_6kl posted:

Weigh north of 350 pounds for a long period, and then lose a lot of weight so you end up with a bunch of loose skin that hangs down, giving a silhouette that can be confused with massive triceps.

(Make no mistake, she's done a great job and the progression is extremely impressive. Definitely better to have some loose skin than to have the same amount of skin but also all the additional body fat that went along with it.)

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Replace bench press with over head press or push press.

bomb
Nov 3, 2005

LanceHunter posted:

Weigh north of 350 pounds for a long period, and then lose a lot of weight so you end up with a bunch of loose skin that hangs down, giving a silhouette that can be confused with massive triceps.

(Make no mistake, she's done a great job and the progression is extremely impressive. Definitely better to have some loose skin than to have the same amount of skin but also all the additional body fat that went along with it.)

Can confirm, my arms are the same.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

mobby_6kl posted:

Are they as big as this lady's?

https://imgur.com/gallery/nyqCA08

drop the forehead routine

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

LanceHunter posted:

Lol :doh:

Mustached Demon posted:

Replace bench press with over head press or push press.

Why not have both??

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

mobby_6kl posted:

Why not have both??

Instructions unclear, overhead pressed the bench itself.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

mobby_6kl posted:

Lol :doh:

Why not have both??

I have two infants and a toddler, I must plan my routines with that in mind.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Mustached Demon posted:

I have two infants and a toddler, I must plan my routines with that in mind.

Arnold Press the infants, Standing Dumbbell Skull Crusher the toddler

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
Judging by my kids, not enough weight to make a meaningful effort

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength
Just keep lifting the kids until they are full grown adults.

Weebly
May 6, 2007

General Chaos wants you!
College Slice

Groke posted:

Just keep lifting the kids until they are full grown adults.

Milo of Croton agrees

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
I'll put myself & the kids on GOMAD and reap the rewards

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!
Hope you're a multi toilet household.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Booties