Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

SE Asia loves doing this poo poo and it was perfected by Japanese convenience stores. though this is a pretty rough example.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

https://twitter.com/firstsquawk/status/1646807586014912512

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Oglethorpe posted:

all usenets have a relatively short retention period because of the size of data, gotta grab stuff while its hot off the press

not really?

theres a helpful goon Usenet thread. give it a look sometime https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3409898&perpage=40&noseen=1

That Works has issued a correction as of 11:16 on Apr 14, 2023

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

a tech exec (allegedly) murdered the cashapp exec

https://twitter.com/TMZ/status/1646530770377244673

all the tech dipshits were blaming his murder on the homeless before this lol

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

biceps crimes posted:

The old console wars went hot. I bet he disparaged someone's sega megadrive once and the offended person never forgot.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

biceps crimes posted:

just pages of these

https://twitter.com/craig_evans48/status/1643590349938466816?s=20

https://twitter.com/GgV0gue/status/1643593086604308481?s=20

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

My guess was it'd had been an assassination ordered by someone who'd used the service to launder money. Rich people generally aren't going around stabbing each other; I'm expecting some kind of crackdown on new money in the future as a result.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Cocaine fueled tech stabbing.

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

gloom

https://twitter.com/bloombergasia/status/1646793423171485697

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

lol

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

The Oldest Man posted:

clarification: it's chattel slavery. im well aware slavery in general never went anywhere.

Chattel slavery was never fully banned by the 13th Amendment, OP (see the imprisoned folks carve out).

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Horseshoe theory posted:

(see the imprisoned folks carve out).

that’s not chattel slavery though

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

biceps crimes posted:

yeah that psycho lady calling for public hangings of meth dealers was in response to/the wake of this lmao

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Horseshoe theory posted:

Chattel slavery was never fully banned by the 13th Amendment, OP (see the imprisoned folks carve out).

Chattel slavery means slaves are considered property, which was a pretty unique phenomenon in world history, and doesn't apply to the forced labour of conscripts as they are not (explicitly I know I know Amerikkka) assets that can be sold by the state or transferred on balance sheets the same way.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Frosted Flake posted:

Chattel slavery means slaves are considered property, which was a pretty unique phenomenon in world history, and doesn't apply to the forced labour of conscripts as they are not (explicitly I know I know Amerikkka) assets that can be sold by the state or transferred on balance sheets the same way.

They're property of the state privately owned prison system.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Raskolnikov38 posted:

that’s not chattel slavery though

Got to ask the Supreme Court...

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Cyber Punk 90210 posted:

The thing that's great about usenet is it's really easy to automate.

Downloads

SABnzbd - NZB processor. Goon project, I'm pretty sure
Sonarr for TV
Radarr for Movies
Gamebrary for videogames (though I haven't actually messed around with it)
And I use Plex as my media center but whatever you like is fine

Services

The best ones of these aren't free but they're still cheaper than HBO

NZB.su - NZB indexer, has a free tier thats limited in downloads a day, $15 a year for unlimited
Newshosting - Probably the best hosting service. 5000+ day retention. I've been able to download stuff that was 500 days old with no problem. $13 a month but they have sales often and you retain the promo price if you remain subbed. I got it for $50 a year a few black fridays back

Guide

A TRaSH guide on setting it all up

------------------------------------------------------

Why did I write this all up?

Neat

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"

Cyber Punk 90210 posted:

The thing that's great about usenet is it's really easy to automate.

Downloads

SABnzbd - NZB processor. Goon project, I'm pretty sure
Sonarr for TV
Radarr for Movies
Gamebrary for videogames (though I haven't actually messed around with it)
And I use Plex as my media center but whatever you like is fine

Services

The best ones of these aren't free but they're still cheaper than HBO

NZB.su - NZB indexer, has a free tier thats limited in downloads a day, $15 a year for unlimited
Newshosting - Probably the best hosting service. 5000+ day retention. I've been able to download stuff that was 500 days old with no problem. $13 a month but they have sales often and you retain the promo price if you remain subbed. I got it for $50 a year a few black fridays back

Guide

A TRaSH guide on setting it all up

------------------------------------------------------

Why did I write this all up?

overseerr is good to throw into this mix too, like a command center for sonarr and radarr

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Mad Wack posted:

overseerr is good to throw into this mix too, like a command center for sonarr and radarr

Definitely

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Imprisonment seems really darn similar to ownership imo.

Miles Vorkosigan
Mar 21, 2007

The stuff that dreams are made of.

imagine if cops started treating tech executives like they do homeless people lmao

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Imprisonment seems really darn similar to ownership imo.

not being explicitly an asset on a balance sheet means the bank doesn't get mad and repossess the plantation-prison when you let an entire building's worth drown in floodwaters, you don't need insurance and when you drag people off the street you didn't have to pay anybody to buy them you just get them for free

throw in getting upkeep on your slaves being covered by funds you get from universal taxation and its much more profitable than ownership

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

super sweet best pal posted:

My guess was it'd had been an assassination ordered by someone who'd used the service to launder money. Rich people generally aren't going around stabbing each other; I'm expecting some kind of crackdown on new money in the future as a result.

Just like Trump seizing the levers of power directly or Mark Zuckerberg personally killing a goat, the rich are tired of using middlemen to handle things for them and are doing things directly, either for laughs or to save a few dollars.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

nobody want to go to work (in person 100%) anymore

https://twitter.com/sfcpoll/status/1646868460310351875

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

I've had remote work as a perk for over a decade now and it's indispensable wrt just getting normal poo poo done. I have no idea how people who aren't allowed to work remotely occasionally manage with having service people come by, medical appointments, etc.

I've got a doctor's appointment around 11:30 today and it's a simple matter of telling my boss "hey, I'm taking my lunch break early" and heading over. If I had to be in an office all day every day I'd have to take PTO time or schedule my appointments on a Saturday six months off.

This pandemic made it pretty clear that most office workers can work remotely and they're never putting that back in the box.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Well also, it was why the Americans were unique in preventing, certainly not recognizing, marriage, breaking up families, frequently reselling slaves, making manumission - even of the mulatto children of slaveowners - illegal etc.

Slaves-as-property created pretty insane contradictions in Southern society, and ultimately contributed to why they lost the Civil War.

See, they had a desperate manpower shortage and needed to free up white soldiers for the front through the use of black labourers for logistics, engineering and of course the civilian economy. The CSA had passed conscription laws, so in theory this would be pretty straightforward, right?

Only, because slaves were property, the state could not levy them. Property rights were the foundation of the Slaveowner's Republic, and so Richmond was unable to "seize the property" of slaveowners. It was why they had seceded! Because the Confederate elites were all self-interested monsters, they absolutely refused to contribute towards any kind of common war effort, because in their minds, they were being stripped of profits - even though they knew if everyone did that the CSA would lose the war and their slaves would be emancipated.

There are dozens of examples of the CSA flailing around as their situation got more and more desperate after 1862 and then slaveowners - who made up most of the government anyways - tapping an Air Bud style rule book and saying "sure, we're facing defeat here and every able bodied man is needed for the cause, but you see the 400 labourers on my estate aren't men, and so you have no right to demand them build that fort/road/bridge".

e: The underlying ideology of the CSA led to their collapse being jaw dropping. I'm surprised some of these episodes are not talked about more. For example, there was the "Yankee Plague", as escaped slaves and Union prisoners of war not only roamed the countryside in huge numbers, but effectively took over areas of territory as well.

Slaves obviously enthusiastically collaborated with Union forces wherever and however possible, but even when they committed acts of outright sabotage including things like guiding Union gunboats down rivers to attack plantations, coordinating mass escapes of slaves to Union lines with local commanders etc. they could not be executed or even imprisoned because property cannot commit treason. It was up to the owners to punish them and by and large they did not - since that would be destroying their own property. In one instance, Confederate soldiers executed the leaders of a slave rebellion and the owner sued the CSA for damages. The officer responsible was severely reprimanded.

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 14:57 on Apr 14, 2023

Turtle Sandbox
Dec 31, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Frosted Flake posted:

List of things US civil servants have been OK with and did not resign over:

From a few pages back but imagine thinking the average civil servant can afford to just up and quit.

Cyber Punk 90210
Jan 7, 2004

The War Has Changed

Mad Wack posted:

Well poo poo, that's helpful :yeah:

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Hey FF I’d like to hear your thoughts on Grant and the question of what Americans are. I dunno the WWIII thread is probably better for it.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

This is funny as hell.

Did the danger of slave mutinies also figure into this calculus? Were they worried about sabotage given the amount of uprisings going on at the time?

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I don't know if Americans are taught how insane American slavery was even by the standards of slavery. Matt Karp has written about it and had a good Chapo episode, but when you followed their ideology to its natural conclusions, which of course happened after succession because they were no longer "constrained", it created levels of dysfunction that annihilated Southern society. Not just for black people, obviously, but for whites as well, the "federal" government in Richmond, the state governments. There were no functioning institutions in the South by Appomattox, and much of what Lost Cause romantics blamed on the Yankees was already happening when Union armies arrived.

That's been totally obscured by Reconstruction myths, but to use that domino meme, "slaveowners deciding slaves are property to prevent emancipation in the 1700's" would be in the beginning and "complete breakdown of society" would be at the end.

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt
It's really weird to dig into the reality of the CSA.

It wasn't a capitalist state, to start. The aristocracy was aware of it, and absolutely refused to transition to wage labor. So you ended up with a state that, geographically and demographically, more closely resembled a pre-capitalist small European state or something.

The entire CSA had one place that could be called a 'city' without lying, and that was due to the unique way that New Orleans came to be. Otherwise it was purposefully organized as a state that found density anathema: there was no concentration of anything, anywhere. No concentration of capital, population, industry, or labor.

It's an incredibly strange place and maybe unique for that point in time, at least as far as I'm aware.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

even going back to the revolution the south was weird like that. Virginia was spread the gently caress out. Any rear end in a top hat could throw up a dock because the rivers were navigable well inland. that means you mostly don’t get big cities. it went on a shockingly long time you even see the end of it in modern music like OCMS

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_-hmhF9cn_k

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

material conditions means logistics and transportation folks.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
california prisons brought in 41k revenue per worker on 31k of expenses in 2016

calculating money equivalence by a Beans Standard (how much is a pound of loving beans) this amounts to a profit of $150 a year per inmate in 1860 money

1860 saw cotton production of 4 million bales over a workforce of roughly 4 million slaves, for a profit of very roughly $3.50 a year per slave. Not all of that slave population were involved in the production of cotton directly, but indeed much of the rest of the labor was concerned with the reproduction of their own labor, which does not directly produce profit, and which the prison industry does not need concern itself with at all it simply has an inexhaustible supply of new americans to enslave

the specifics of the numbers would obviously change if i took a week to dig out books and journal articles (or accounted for other marginal cash crops, or the food grown that didn't need to be grown otherwise but CALPIA loving grows the crops used in prison food as well so gently caress it tbh) but even finding them is a loving nightmare with google how it is in 2023 (find anything on CALPIA that isn't fawning praise lmao) and the two order of magnitude difference isn't going reverse so i'm pretty loving confident in my conclusion that modern slavery is so profitable its hilarious

atelier morgan has issued a correction as of 15:20 on Apr 14, 2023

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

here is my idea:

let people do what they want to do

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
and yes CALPIA gets paid and profits from selling food grown/goods produced by prisoners back to the very prison system supplying the slaves

when i worked for CDCR my rear end sat in a chair made by prisoners at a desk made by prisoners i pushed a cart made by prisoners filled with medical charts the binding and folders of which were assembled by prisoners, when i attended trainings the loving snacks and drinks were grown and made by prisoners (and that's why i'm wildly deranged now)

this is wildly popular and successful and slave goods are omnipresent in state service because it is a 'cost saving measure' as the furniture/etc is marginally cheaper than that made elsewhere by nonslaves, on account of how the expenses of maintaining the slave population are simply ignored

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Barron's has a piece on the Trump tax cuts that are due to expire in 2025, although I'd be shocked if Congress under either party doesn't extend most of them.

quote:

The Tax Cuts and Jobs Act, signed into law Dec. 22, 2017, and colloquially known as the Trump tax cuts, contained a host of changes to individual tax rates that are set to expire after 2025. At that point, absent congressional action, tax rates for 2026 will revert to the rates payers were subjected to before the change.

It might seem like a long way off, but the kind of financial planning that has a big impact on tax bills often has to be done years ahead. To start preparing, here’s a list of what changed with the 2017 law and what will change if the temporary provisions expire as planned:

The top rate will rise. The Trump tax cuts generally brought down individual rates, but on a temporary basis. Without congressional renewal, the top marginal income-tax rate, which applies to income above $693,750 and higher for married couples or $578,125 for singles, will return to 39.6% from the current top rate of 37%.

So will several other brackets. Most other tax brackets saw rate decreases as well, although the second-highest bracket held steady at 35%, and the bracket for the lowest earners was left at 10%. The 33% bracket was cut slightly to 32%, and the other brackets saw three- to four-point reductions: the 28% bracket was cut to 24%; the 25% bracket dropped to 22%; and the 15% bracket was lowered to 12%.

Standard deductions will drop. The tax package also made temporary adjustments to the standard deduction for individual filers, nearly doubling the deduction for married couples filing jointly from $13,000 to $24,000, according to the Tax Policy Center’s analysis. Congress enacted similar increases to standard deductions for single filers and payers filing as head of households. Like the bracket increases, the adjustments to the standard deductions are set to expire after 2025.

Estate taxes will leap higher. The tax overhaul contained important provisions for wealthy families planning their legacy. Most notably, while the bill kept the top estate tax rate at 40%, it doubled the exemption for single filers from $5.6 million to $11.2 million, and for married couples filing jointly from $11.2 million to $22.4 million. Those provisions are also due to expire after 2025. That means many more families (basically those that expect to have estates larger than $11 million), should be doing some serious estate planning.

Mortgage interest deductions will improve. The bill went the other way with mortgage interest, lowering the cap on deductible interest for a first and second home to $750,000 in principal value, down from $1 million, with the change set to expire after 2025.

The ACA penalty will remain kaput. The tax overhaul permanently eliminated the penalty individuals paid for not having a qualified health insurance plan under the Affordable Care Act.

Corporate tax rates will stay low. Most of the provisions for individual taxpayers are temporary, but the package created a single corporate tax rate of 21%, and made that change permanent, meaning that the rate will hold unless Congress acts. The bill also permanently eliminated the corporate alternative minimum tax.

The ultimate fate of the Trump tax cuts is anyone’s guess at this point. For its part, the Biden administration has signaled support for extending most of the individual cuts as a starting point in the debt-ceiling debate.

Soon, it may be hard to think about anything but the expiration of these provisions: Debates over tax policy could be a major factor both in the imminent showdown over the federal debt ceiling and in the 2024 presidential election. Any potential progressive candidate to Biden’s left would certainly take aim at a tax overhaul bill so universally panned by Democrats at the time that the narrow GOP majority had to use the parliamentary tactic of reconciliation to pass the measure with a simple majority.

Next time around, proponents of a more progressive tax system could have an inherent advantage given the very Washington way the original tax cuts were structured. With an attached sunset date—2026—no action will mean a reversion to the prior set of rates. That could mean that any potential GOP president, Trump or otherwise, would end up fighting for Congress to enact legislation extending the cuts, or some version of them.

"Fighting for Congress... extending the cuts" is truly hilarious, given both parties' rush to outdo each other in cutting taxes, the fact that we're heading into an election year, and Biden's vow to not cut taxes for "middle-class" top-5-percent earners making less than $400k.

And I'm p. sure that Biden's debt-ceiling proposal to McCarthy assumes that all of the cuts expire, which is funny given the Dem hyperbole at the time the cuts were passed.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Frosted Flake posted:

I don't know if Americans are taught how insane American slavery was even by the standards of slavery. Matt Karp has written about it and had a good Chapo episode, but when you followed their ideology to its natural conclusions, which of course happened after succession because they were no longer "constrained", it created levels of dysfunction that annihilated Southern society. Not just for black people, obviously, but for whites as well, the "federal" government in Richmond, the state governments. There were no functioning institutions in the South by Appomattox, and much of what Lost Cause romantics blamed on the Yankees was already happening when Union armies arrived.

That's been totally obscured by Reconstruction myths, but to use that domino meme, "slaveowners deciding slaves are property to prevent emancipation in the 1700's" would be in the beginning and "complete breakdown of society" would be at the end.

Yeah, and parts of the south, specifically Appalachia was pretty mixed as far as the Confederacy went as much of its economy was made up of small holders that didn't have much to gain from a plantation-state. There was considerable resistance against conscription as well.

As far as Grant goes, he usually is severely underestimated as general, and while many of the engagements he lead were bloody, he also showed clear results and there is a firm argument to be made that the Vicksburg campaign by 1863 had broken the back of the Confederacy and from that point it was mop up. Gettysburg only determined how long that mop up was going to take.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

just think what would happen if good ole buchanon joe ignored a scrotus ruling

we might even turn into a banana republic!

civil war (lol)
op-eds
crying chuds