Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
okay is there a discord to talk about this poo poo, the link below the OP no longer works

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dystopia Barbarian
Dec 25, 2022

by vyelkin
Make one

33 minutes!!

Akumos
Sep 10, 2006

Demon Of The Fall posted:

okay is there a discord to talk about this poo poo, the link below the OP no longer works

https://discord.gg/darkanddarker

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
https://discord.gg/darkanddarker is the official Discord, it's also in the OP

The link is in announcements there.

Curious why it not longer works

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
I'm nearly done dling and i'll let you know if anything appears wanky, but again, this is Ironmace, not a spoofed account or anything. If it was, the entire dev team and Discord would have been.

It's done via torrent and it's on DL link because the major providers operate in Korea and don't wanna get in trouble via an on-going lawsuit.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost

ShowTime posted:

https://discord.gg/darkanddarker is the official Discord, it's also in the OP

The link is in announcements there.

Curious why it not longer works

no the goon one

ShowTime posted:

Reserving 2nd post for beta information, guild information and Discord information.

The original post will continue to be updated and added too, I just wanted to get the thread going so people can start talking about the game and getting together to play it.

Discord server hosted by PartialOctopus: https://discord.gg/jq8X52ZQ

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

My team got swept out of the playoffs, and all I got was this avatar and red text

the dark shrinks darker...?

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
Oh, yea, I don't know and don't want to make a Discord to manage, I guess we can call each other.

I'm Headshock#7342

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
https://twitch.tv/katie

streaming the new zone

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

Interesting. By the time I'm off work and able to check it out I'm sure we'll know how legit it is, but super exciting if true.

Estraysian
Dec 29, 2008
Are there are patch notes or something to see whats new

Dystopia Barbarian
Dec 25, 2022

by vyelkin

Estraysian posted:

Are there are patch notes or something to see whats new
Bard is in. Warlock says coming soon. New dungeon.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

I didn't know that was you.

BTW, Bard is loving awesome.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
playtest is real, y'all

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
Did they just add the static extracts or was that in last game? Now there are gates that open you can leave through. Not sure if that was in the last patch.

Bard has a song that confuses all enemies into attacking each other. It's BUSTED. You can just keep playing it in a group of monsters and they attack each other. Also a movement speed song and healing song. None of those are busted but drat, its fun. And a song that prevents people from attacking you, which is busted.

So Bards are must in groups.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
lucio??

Duderclese
Aug 30, 2003
I'm the gay younger brother of UnkleBoB and Buddha Stalin
I know one map had a gated extract that would open for a single person to extract and the rocks would fall closing it off for anyone else.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
Very fun class but definitely a support class, gonna keep leveling it though for when I can find a group

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

ShowTime posted:

Did they just add the static extracts or was that in last game? Now there are gates that open you can leave through. Not sure if that was in the last patch.

Those are new only goblin cave had the single static extract.

rideANDxORdie
Jun 11, 2010
game back

Akumos
Sep 10, 2006
New map spawns <3 portals total for teams, it's dead. Play goblin caves.

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

Akumos posted:

New map spawns <3 portals total for teams, it's dead. Play goblin caves.

for extracts not entering the dungeon tho, right? everyone just walks down the stairs together?

cause i mean everyone was used to entering B2 with starting gear, now you have some scrounge from B1

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

So at game login, do we make an ID ourselves or something and where?

Edit found it in the announcements

Jiro fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Apr 14, 2023

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

Tempora Mutantur posted:

for extracts not entering the dungeon tho, right? everyone just walks down the stairs together?

cause i mean everyone was used to entering B2 with starting gear, now you have some scrounge from B1

Have you figured out how the stairs work? The group map is hard as poo poo because there are so few portals, you aren't meant to go down, but the stairs aren't open

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

My team got swept out of the playoffs, and all I got was this avatar and red text

ShowTime posted:

Have you figured out how the stairs work? The group map is hard as poo poo because there are so few portals, you aren't meant to go down, but the stairs aren't open

They open later in the round

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

https://discord.gg/DGB9NQVdHw

^ Updated discord link that doesn't expire. Sorry about that!

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

Concurred posted:

They open later in the round

Which sucks because you might not be near it, or the circle.

For players worried about the safety of the installer files from the torrent, here are the SHA 256 Hash to check the integrity of the files and ensure they haven't been tampered with.

SHA256 [Dark and Darker A5 Installer.exe] - 0CB1F4AC2C534771FBD27956791EF93604974DBB19658FDB176F9E037EE1BA60
SHA256 [Dark and Darker A5 Installer.nsisbin] - 1BF807BAE191896DE05DD0FBD3BAF475932D999476A89868640685982FFAD26F

They posted that in Discord.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

Partial Octopus posted:

https://discord.gg/DGB9NQVdHw

^ Updated discord link that doesn't expire. Sorry about that!

All good, I joined

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007
I get that Ironmace needs to keep their promise for the Playtest, but it's not really good news that they're doing it this way. Either they haven't counterclaimed yet (why?) or took their time counterclaiming (also why?). There's basically no benefit in waiting because either way you're going to have to if you want your game back on Steam and if Nexon is gonna sue, they're gonna sue no matter what. Unless they just plan on relying on bittorrent to distribute Dark and Darker for the foreseeable future.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
I mean things clearly aren't going well. They waited until the last second (Midnight, April 14th) to announce it was happening and release the servers, released it on a Torrent and have a standalone client. All the providers won't host it for them (Steam, Epic, etc) because of the lawsuit. So no, things still aren't looking good. Worse even, considering these methods

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

Maybe a manually downloaded client is a *wink wink nudge nudge* method to let players in Korea access the test? Since if they re-enabled it on Steam they'd have to block the region from downloading it at all, from the "sorry Korean players we can't let you have fun" part of the message in Discord.

Anyone in here from Korea or know a Korean player who is able to play the test through the manual download?

Akumos
Sep 10, 2006
Bro died to caltrops

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
Servers are dogshit right now (as expected) but it's not even prime time and at its peak player count. Only server that seemed to be steadily accessible was in Sau Paulo, but it was laggy as gently caress, crashed forever and because it's the only one consistently up, is getting slammed by people.

I'm taking a break and hoping they add more servers, because right now the game isn't really playable.

One thought I had was that it's kind of weird they went ahead with things, spending money on servers, when they could spend it on lawyers? Maybe they booked the servers and in advance and paid for them, so are just going through with it because they are there, but i'm wondering if they are gonna add new servers or not. If not, the game is unplayable. If they do, more money spent on what could be spent on lawyers.

This playtest is kind of a lose/lose for them.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Good development chops is no guarantee of good business sense and in this case IM appears to have none at all.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

took the plunge on sketchy torrent game.

solo wizard was a nightmare, i couldn't kill anything worth a drat.

Bard was fun though. Managed to extract a few times and doing tough NPC clusters by running in circles singing my lungs out is pretty funny. Best pvp so far was managing to take out a team of two, and then 1 out of 2 of another team right after- the blue rapier i found helped im sure, but so did loving around with them with the sanctuary song.

Imagining teaming up with silentninja47 who is keeping to the shadows and is alert to the slightest sound, then the bard goes FA LA LALALALA and if the singing wasnt enough theres a huge lightshow aura that goes through walls to precisely identify where you are

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
People being scared of a torrent crack me up. It's not just you few either, so don't feel bad.

Brazilian server still holding strong. Hopefully the rest of them come up soon and Ironmace manages to stabilize them or buy more, because I'm having a blast.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Groovelord Neato posted:

lmao I was right. Faith rewarded.

Groovelord Neato posted:

Doubters vacate!

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

To be fair the vast majority of people interested in the game probably had no clue what a torrent was prior to a few hours ago. Nobody thinks about sexy backend data transfer technologies. Hell, didn't WoW's patcher use the bittorrent protocol at one point, if not still? Nice to see them recommend a decent client too, not just mainline or trash like utorrent, if utorrent is even still around.

Also a game going from the Steam servers to a downloaded exe from a torrent instead of a link on a "safe looking" game studio's website may throw some folks off.

Bard is indeed fun. 25% faster every-kind-of-interaction is ridiculous. Though if we're talking about utterly broken poo poo, thief has a doublejump now so...

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

sushibandit posted:

To be fair the vast majority of people interested in the game probably had no clue what a torrent was prior to a few hours ago. Nobody thinks about sexy backend data transfer technologies. Hell, didn't WoW's patcher use the bittorrent protocol at one point, if not still? Nice to see them recommend a decent client too, not just mainline or trash like utorrent, if utorrent is even still around.

Also a game going from the Steam servers to a downloaded exe from a torrent instead of a link on a "safe looking" game studio's website may throw some folks off.

Bard is indeed fun. 25% faster every-kind-of-interaction is ridiculous. Though if we're talking about utterly broken poo poo, thief has a doublejump now so...

Yeah WoW's old patcher before Battle.Net Desktop existed (so around Mists of Pandaria) was a custom HTTP/Bittorrent deal. Probably less scary since you never had to deal with sketchy torrents yourself, the program would just connect you directly to it. I doubt people even knew they were torrenting with it. There's nothing inherently wrong with torrenting it, it's just out of some people's comfort zones I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.
Bards can use (some) bows and get a skill that juices rapiers, I don't know what a ranger is even FOR anymore, give me the fruity singing boi for life

Also:

Groovelord Neato posted:

Doubters vacate!