Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002

The REAL Goobusters posted:

I don't know this album kinda rips lol. I like this way more than Death Magnetic and Hardwired

Yeah, I really love it. It'll take a few songs to kind of learn the titles, but there's some solid hooks in here. I think I liked Hardwired more in terms of the highs, but this one has a more like > dislike ratio. There are a couple songs that hew a little too close to the slower AJFA and Sad But True style that I've never been a huge fan of, but I love 3/4 of the singles tracks and Room Of Mirrors is quickly becoming a favorite.

And they're just plain fun to play. The title track and Screaming Suicide are a ton of fun to learn James' riffs for. Looking forward to learning a couple of these other ones.

Axel Serenity fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Apr 15, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

yall have stockholm syndrome or something lol

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Henchman of Santa posted:

Nah, as much as I love Kreator, Destruction and a few others (like the aforementioned Sabbat, or the technically-thrash-i-guess-but-really-something-else Celtic Frost), North America dominates the Euros in thrash. My most unpopular thrash opinion is probably that Sodom is merely okay.

I'm in the final stretch of 72 Seasons. It's pleasant music to work to but none of these songs are gonna leave a mark. The production is pretty nice, far from the headache-inducing stuff of Death Magnetic. It is definitely a bunch of 60-year-olds doing a pretty good approximation of the music that made them famous. For something I'm listening to basically out of obligation it could be a lot worse.

James has been doing the same ultra-corny self-therapy lyrics for 20 years now, but the sound isn't bad, the songs are just samey with each other. A solid 3/5 to Hardwired's 2.5/5 and Death Magnetic's 2/5. Another 40 years of this and we should really be on to something.

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS

ultraviolence123 posted:

Here's a killer slam record from Kryptoxik Mortality that I sort of slept on when it came out, but have been listening to a lot recently
https://kryptoxikmortality.bandcamp.com/album/symbiotic-assimilation

Here's a brand new extra disgusting sounding slam record from Colpocleisis
https://realityfade.bandcamp.com/album/elegant-degradation

These are so wonderfully stupid. I love them.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
Just listened to 1916 today. loving hell, the best rock'n'roll album ever made. The late 80s and early 90s ... there was something in the water.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

WoodrowSkillson posted:

yall have stockholm syndrome or something lol

That’s what I thought about everyone talking about Load and Reload tbh

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Load and Reload are good and the new album is alright (I haven’t finished listening to it because it’s too god drat long)

:banjo:

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Load and Reload are half a good album each, and scholars will argue over which half of each album is the good half until the end of time.

Haven't finished the new album yet, but it seems Okay. Not bad, but not going to change or add to their legacy. I don't know what it is - the chorus, the production? - but Lux Aeterna gives me weird "this is background music for a Dreamcast game" vibes, and I can't explain why without sounding like a crazy person.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Dunno, I've never seen anyone stan for Ronnie, House that Jack Built, Cure

TeamJesus
Sep 21, 2006

He died for your sins...
Now he's back for your
BRAINS!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pwvrrgAt6E

Cynicus
May 1, 2008

owling furies.

ulvir posted:

I was gonna post something about how german/european thrash is superior to any american thrash, but forgot that toxic holocaust and overkill are american bands

this is Morbid Saint erasure.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Good US thrash you say?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPMcqTsws5E

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

gently caress yes this is how you do chainsaw

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Load holds a special place in my heart because it was my first introduction to Metallica.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I have actually never listened to any of Load/ReLoad/St. Anger (though I obviously have heard many of those songs over the years) or any of the non-mainline albums (Garage Days, S&M, Lulu etc.). But my neighbor playing a lot of ReLoad and Rob Zombie when we were kids was my introduction to metal as a whole.

DrObrero
Sep 7, 2022

Josuke Higashikata posted:

"House That Jack Built" I like. The other two not so much.

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high
Just listened to the Metallica album.

Whole lots of "when are they gonna get to the fireworks factory" on this album. Pretty disappointing.

*remembers Overkill has a new album and instantly smiles*

Also, on a random tangent, just remembered how much this song and how much this album rules

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=boptcdvX27E

Piss Witch
Oct 23, 2005

Had a blast seeing Babymetal tonight

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
I bet they were better than Metallica

Piss Witch
Oct 23, 2005

Nordick posted:

Much better!

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Nordick posted:

Taking a dump right now

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
Who replaced Metallica with an AI?

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Are these guys metal? Post Metal? Noise? Kinda defy a single category

Need more gloriously loud and heavy music like this in my life

Russian Circles

https://youtu.be/nK4rTvlRFUA

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Russian Circles are a post rock band that turn the settings on their amp up enough that record stores put them in the metal section. Check out Year of No Light’s Ausserwelt for some similar stuff the rules.

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Dimebags Brain posted:

Russian Circles are a post rock band that turn the settings on their amp up enough that record stores put them in the metal section. Check out Year of No Light’s Ausserwelt for some similar stuff the rules.

Thank you. Just downloaded that album

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Having seen Russian Circles live multiple times, they kick rear end. But yeah, they're more post-metal.

Much like the post-metal band Isis, I feel weird wearing my Russian Circles shirt in public nowadays since the war and all. It says "Russian Circles" in huge font and I'm sure people wouldn't understand.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Pelican are a similar instrumental group, also from Chicago. A bit slower tempo on average. Check out The Fire in Our Throats Will Beckon the Thaw.

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Henchman of Santa posted:

Pelican are a similar instrumental group, also from Chicago. A bit slower tempo on average. Check out The Fire in Our Throats Will Beckon the Thaw.

Will do. Thanks!

McFlurry Fan #1
Dec 31, 2005

He can't kill me. I'm indestructible. Everybody knows that

I'd argue that Pelican never got better than Australasia which is slower, heavier and less post rock. Though I do have a soft spot for Deny the absolute from Forever Becoming.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

stab posted:

Just listened to the Metallica album.

Whole lots of "when are they gonna get to the fireworks factory" on this album. Pretty disappointing.

*remembers Overkill has a new album and instantly smiles*

Also, on a random tangent, just remembered how much this song and how much this album rules

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=boptcdvX27E

Absolutely! Love WASP and Overkill, I've seen Overkill twice. A green logo is great. I liked the Rat Skates Overkill documentary too. Sounds like the wild west being in an early thrash band.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Josuke Higashikata posted:

100% no poo poo not joking, ronnie is one of the best songs on Load

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

The solo with the weird way/vocoder effect on House That Jack Built rules.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Load/Reload have higher high points than most bands ever achieve, and Lars was correct that it any other band were to release those albums they'd be viewed very differently. Fixxxer and Bleeding Me are probably two of their best songs.

The last 3 albums would be much better if we got Load/Reload style experimentation instead of copy/pastes of what Lars thinks is what we want. Let Hammet drive an album, Portals was good, he just has to try. It's better than what amounts to upjumped stock music for dad-tv programs.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Lot of people arguing about who the skinniest kid in fat camp is in this thread right now.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
Arguably, S&M was when Metallica was at their peak.

Annie Chickenstalker
Oct 12, 2005

Of course you dont know, YOU dont know because only I know

Grimey Drawer
Lux Aeternaaaaaaaa

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVlcADaT94o

Let's go away!

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

:sickos:

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

H13 posted:

Arguably, S&M was when Metallica was at their peak.
Absolutely won't argue this. Some of those non-album tracks they were putting out around that turn-of-the-milennium period (No Leaf Clover, I Disappear...) were something I would've loved to see them explore further. But, alas.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFmE9cvHECc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
On the other hand though, hear me out...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svLVdLk3lW8