Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What do you call the disposable plastic bags with the clip at the top?
Zip Lock Bags
Glad Bags
View Results

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

If it makes you feel better that means nothing compared to the land we shred and turn into lovely houses. We need to drastically change how we view society or we're doomed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

I know things are hosed and overpopulation sucks, but I have hope that the sheer vastness of this great country will prevail. Even driving from Sydney to the Gong you see enormous, endless lands where we don't go, that are probably full of all the bugs and creatures we don't see as much. I have faith they'll still be there long after Sydney looks like this:

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS

The Peccadillo posted:

Haha gently caress you Russ

https://twitter.com/russellcrowe/status/1643167483107631105?t=wp-Aftsuw890qWA4L1NJYQ&s=19

Also does anyone else remember clusters of spitfires? I remember in school they were like "at little lunch you can absolutely not go near this tree, a hundred little cattapilers will vomit acid on you"

Obviously we all poked at it and they weren't kidding

Harmless sawfly larvae

Processionary Caterpillars can cause pregnant horses to abort their foals

I stepped on a white stemmed gum moth cocoon as a kid, took weeks of elastoplast dressings to get all the spines out, tweezers break them, I then, fascinated by them, kept some for a year from egg to caterpillar to big moth.

Cup moths are really neat.

Kharnifex fucked around with this message at 11:42 on Apr 6, 2023

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
There are moths with spines? hosed up

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

https://twitter.com/JeremyPoxon/status/1644141136943140869

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
Used to love seeing these little guys around growing up in WA

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

I just found out that there is a Sydney Bus Museum in Leichardt. Busses used to look pretty funky.

quote:

Dennis Lancet II - 1492
Engine
6.5 litre Four cylinder Dennis diesel engine, bore 4.6", stroke 5.9" developing 82 B.H.P.

Transmission
Five speed synchromesh with overdriv to a worm drive differential.

Brakes
Lockheed hydraulic assisted by a Dewandre vacuum servo.

During the 1930s, the Department of Road Transport & Tramways (DRTT) designed a standard single deck bus design, suitable for fitting to various types of chassis manufactured by various firms in the UK. The design seated 34 passengers, had front & rear entrances and positioned the driver in a separate cabin ahead of the saloon. They became known as the 'half-cab' buses, and 79 examples were built on AEC, Dennis, Leyland and Albion chassis.

Six Dennis single deck chassis were ordered between 1936 and 1938. The first two were bodied by Syd Wood of Bankstown, and the following four by Waddingtons of Granville.

492 was built by Waddingtons on a Dennis Lancet II chassis. It was registered m/o 1492. The bus served out of Burwood and later North Sydney depot.

This bus, and the other three Waddington's buses (1496, 1499 and 1503) had four cylinder Dennis engines, which were difficult to maintain, made worse by the impossibility of getting spare parts from the UK during World War II. Accordingly, they did very little mileage and 1492 was withdrawn in June 1947 after accruing only 137,584 miles.

It then spent two years languishing at Leichhardt Bus Workshops (now the site of the Museum), and in 1949 was sold to Punchbowl Bus Co. West Bankstown Bus Service acquired it from Punchbowl in the early 1950s, who ran it until it was finally retired in 1958. The bus was then sold to a grazier at Warren in country NSW for use as a hay shed.

In 1978, the body shell and chassis was discovered and arrangements were made to tow it to Sydney. Restoration was completed with grants from the Australian Bi-Centennial Committee, the NSW Heritage Council and through volunteer work from the Museum.

The problematic Dennis engine was replaced with a Perkins diesel during restoration, however the bus is currently off the road awaiting some further work.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
All this talk of school bugs reminded me of the monkey puzzle tree from a school I went to in the 70s.

Someone obviously had decided to get a tree that kids would be unable to climb for safety reasons. And decided the best way to do that was buy a tree covered in incredibly sharp spikes.

So, naturally, when the leaves/branches fell off every year in foot-long clumps, we used them as swords and shredded each other's legs.

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS
Perfection, just like the NSW councils that decided the trees next to park playgrounds would all be those insane spiked plants with the wierd bean pods, or the extremely itchy seed pods trees

Carlos Lantana
Oct 2, 2003

I'm really sorry, your avatar is giving me a boner and while that is perfectly OK and I don't want to kink shame anyone, its making me feel really weird getting a boner in a Trump thread.

Sincerely,

Jailbrekr
I used to catch one of these
169 Wingala/Wynyard

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Blow
Feb 10, 2004

Kharnifex posted:

Harmless sawfly larvae

Processionary Caterpillars can cause pregnant horses to abort their foals

I stepped on a white stemmed gum moth cocoon as a kid, took weeks of elastoplast dressings to get all the spines out, tweezers break them, I then, fascinated by them, kept some for a year from egg to caterpillar to big moth.

Cup moths are really neat.

You and your loving bugs mate :glomp:

And I've been driving around here in the Tweed at dusk, evening and night on the M1 and local rural roads. It's unusual to see any kind of bug on the windscreen or licence plate. No bugs seem to eat my veggies. I never see bees. The only thing around here seems to be the loving mozzies the cunts. :(

Maximum Sexy Pigeon
Jun 5, 2008

We must never speak of this!

Aware posted:

Used to love seeing these little guys around growing up in WA

These little fellas are great!

Inceltown posted:

I just found out that there is a Sydney Bus Museum in Leichardt. Busses used to look pretty funky.

That bus looks like the nerd of buses.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Chrpno posted:

I know things are hosed and overpopulation sucks, but I have hope that the sheer vastness of this great country will prevail. Even driving from Sydney to the Gong you see enormous, endless lands where we don't go, that are probably full of all the bugs and creatures we don't see as much. I have faith they'll still be there long after Sydney looks like this:

The giant clown nose is a good addition.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Outrail posted:

its the end goal of red nose day

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

Outrail posted:

ahem it's proper name is Bakerman

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
Rad as hell

Wee
Dec 16, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

Outrail posted:

Its impossible to listen to that band now

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

The new Mad Max is shaping up to be a real monster.

Maximum Sexy Pigeon
Jun 5, 2008

Fucken SICK!

(Is that in Glebe?)

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Yeah, back of the markets.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Maximum Sexy Pigeon
Jun 5, 2008

Inceltown posted:

Yeah, back of the markets.

Glebe really has a look of its own in those old cottages.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Victoria to abolish the crime of public drunkenness starting Melbourne Cup Day

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

That's one way to avoid the embarrassment of arresting Gina Rinehart, I guess.

BoonyPC
Feb 19, 2007

Haha we have the opposite around here...a Landcruiser thats been lowered and looks like a normal kind of car/hatchback

Maximum Sexy Pigeon
Jun 5, 2008

BoonyPC posted:

Haha we have the opposite around here...a Landcruiser thats been lowered and looks like a normal kind of car/hatchback

that sounds dumb

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

https://twitter.com/WhiteRoseSocAU/status/1646372690692026369

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Do you often sing or whistle just for fun?

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Maximum Sexy Pigeon
Jun 5, 2008

Illawarra Nazis... I hate Illawarra Nazis...

Blow
Feb 10, 2004

Maximum Sexy Pigeon posted:

Illawarra Nazis... I hate Illawarra Nazis...

It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.

Blow
Feb 10, 2004

It's nice up here on the Tweed.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Blow posted:

It's nice up here on the Tweed.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. The bits of Australia that have no Australians in them are a bit of alright.

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

I'm tripping right now... Don't fuck this up for me.

TBF It's just the recent immigrants (in the last 250 years or so) that have hosed everything up.

Blow
Feb 10, 2004

Like I can see the Forbidden Coast from me loving deck.

Blow
Feb 10, 2004

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Always nice to see Lightning Ridge get a mention

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Bill Posters posted:

TBF It's just the recent immigrants (in the last 250 years or so) that have hosed everything up.

Stop the boats was the right idea, just a century or two too late.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maximum Sexy Pigeon
Jun 5, 2008

The nature of Monkey was irrepressible!